PDA

View Full Version : Looking for official magcal surgical implants.

Outlawzero
2020-08-01, 11:08 AM
Gotta be 3.5. I want to use item familiar but I want it to be hard to loose it. Ersatz eye from 5e is perfect except its 5e. It cannot be removed except by you. Finding a surprising lack of official magical implants in 3.5.

Outlawzero
2020-08-01, 11:24 AM
I'm thinking I'll have to settle for "cursing" myself with a soulbound eye item familiar.

The Glyphstone
2020-08-01, 11:25 AM
There's a whole system of grafts in Lords of Madness, Magic of Ebberon, and at least one other book I can't remember.

Outlawzero
2020-08-01, 11:31 AM
Grafts aren't considered magical items so they aren't a target for item familiar.

Zaq
2020-08-01, 11:56 AM
AFB, but I know there’s some kind of implanted psionic items in an Eberron book. Quori shards or something like that? Think that’s prooobably in ECS, if not MoE.

Alternatively, be a warforged or a renegade mastermaker and use the attached component rules?

PraxisVetli
2020-08-01, 11:56 AM
Psionic Tattoos?

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a

Menzath
2020-08-01, 01:14 PM
https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?361656-Lost-One-Left-Eye-Replacement-Needed

If dragon mag is on the table apparently 318 has something called a mutineer's eye. Maybe some other options there, i only really skimmed through it.

Also the psychic warriors graft weapon power. Make the weapon a claw or spiked gauntlet so you still mostly(or entirely) have a hand.

Edit: also sovereign glue. Just glue any item to yourself. Forever.

Gavinfoxx
2020-08-01, 03:02 PM
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Z9NJIs751Af3i0IEIJwCkIp9H9YFiZYZ7u-wmYVaheI/edit

http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?topic=12562

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?190350-Fleshwarping-A-List-of-Grafts-Symbionts-and-Related-Goodies

daremetoidareyo
2020-08-01, 03:12 PM
Stump knife.

NontheistCleric
2020-08-01, 03:54 PM
Off the top of my head, I remember the Arm of Nyr, which I think is in the Arms and Equipment Guide. Replaces an arm, but only works for Good characters.

ShurikVch
2020-08-01, 03:59 PM
Is stuff from the Dragon magazine OK?

#351 have technomagical implants in "The Clockwork Disciple" article (prices from 1000 to 42000)

Dragon Annual #6 introduced Dragonstar setting, which have Spellware:

In addition to conventional magic items, Dragonstar introduces a new category of magic items. Spellware is a form of arcane biomodification, a process of imbuing magical effects not in inanimate objects but in living, organic beings. Using spellware, characters in Dragonstar can enhance their existing abilities or gain new ones they could never otherwise possess.

In some ways, spellware works just like other magic items. For instance, spellware can be suppressed by certain spells and effects (E.G., dispel magic, antimagic field). In other ways, spellware is very different from conventional magic items. When it is implanted in a patient, spellware becomes an integral part of that character or creature. It cannot be damaged directly and never has to make item saving throws to resist damage. Of course, if the character's body is destroyed, the spellware is irrevocably destroyed, whether or not the character is subsequently raised or resurrected. Finally, while there is a limit on the type and number of conventional magic items a character can use at one time, there is no limit on the number of spellware enhancements a character can receive.
Prices are from 3000 to 84000

Psyren
2020-08-03, 01:56 PM
Both Pathfinder and Starfinder have several cybernetic/magictech implants you could probably port back to 3.5 with minimal trouble. All the major slots are the same and the costs are convertible.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-08-03, 01:59 PM
Off the top of my head, I remember the Arm of Nyr, which I think is in the Arms and Equipment Guide. Replaces an arm, but only works for Good characters.

It's in Complete Divine I believe.

tyckspoon
2020-08-03, 02:58 PM
Draconomicon Gemstone of Fortification. Can be embedded in the scales/skin of anything with sufficient Natural Armor (it's meant to be used by dragons who just shove it into their scales and let it wedge in), or it can be magically embedded into thin-skinned creatures (book recommended means is via a Limited Wish.) Permanent embedded magic item, plus a fairly cheap way of getting a magical effect that you probably want anyways.

unseenmage
2020-08-03, 07:28 PM
Grafts aren't considered magical items so they aren't a target for item familiar.
Three words. Craft Wondrous Item.
Just make the thing a magic item before you graft it on. Easy peesey.

Also, if you're a Warforged you can Embedded Warforged Components that explicitly are magic items and are literally built into your body.

Don't want to be a magic metal man? Hit 'im with Incarnate Construct after the implantation. Does it convert the component to flesh? maybe. probably not. Especially as they're designed to be removable and there's text describing what happens should someone else try to use the thing.

Now you've got a magic item embedded in your flesh that you no longer qualify to use unless you can make a Use Magic Device check to fake your race.

Overcomplicated? Yup. Does it saddle you with some very bad stats and require GM approval? Oh yeah. Is it technically what you asked for? Like I dunno man. I just like droning on about magic items and constructs. :smallbiggrin:

Also see the Half-Machine template (Dungeon #91 pg106) and the Remade (Dr352p45).

EDIT
Found my notes one the above templates and getting access to them as a player.

can probably build the traps and Constructs necessary to create half-machines
Dungeon #91

page 100
Animated Workers
constructs CR2 2HD
SA: Disassemble
they assemble the limbs

page 101
Mechanical Conveyor
and Disjunction
trap CR7
it enchants the limbs

page 102
machine entrance
trap CR7
draws creatures to be processed into...

page 102
Attachment Machine
construct CR7 8HD
SA: Mechanize
mechanized creatures

page 104
Living Generator
trap CR4
powers process with bound living spellcaster

page 103
The Mechanic
construct CR12 15HD
awakened Shield Guardian
looks to've been awakened and mechanized
if dies freed all associated half-machines from their programming
oversees process in master's stead

can probably make simulacrum of the Biothaumaturge necessary to create and modify Remade and FReemade.
As described in Dragon #352 on page 46.

Asmotherion
2020-08-03, 08:21 PM
The first thing that came to mind was, Psychic Warrior Spell "Graft Item".

Other than that, Faiths of Eberron has Construct Grafts.

In any case, all Grafts are technically Items, and thus can be Improved to Masterwork Item before Grafting. It also means, they can probably be improved into Magic Items.

Finally, any item that does not occupy a slot, can effectivelly mean it's a graft.

el minster
2020-08-03, 09:01 PM
Eye of Vecna, Hand of Vecna, or even Head of Vecna :biggrin:

Thurbane
2020-08-03, 11:08 PM
Would Dukar Hand Coral count (CoV p.63)? Living magical coral that you implant under the skin in your palm. Gives low level regenerative abilities, and water/air breathing boosts.

Also, probably less so, but the Teeth of Dahlver-Nar (ToM p.77); yank out your own teeth, and replace them with teeth that have magical powers.

NontheistCleric
2020-08-04, 08:37 AM
It's in Complete Divine I believe.

Wait, we're both wrong—it's in Defenders of the Faith.

DwarvenWarCorgi
2020-08-04, 09:31 AM
Wait, we're both wrong—it's in Defenders of the Faith.

D'oh. I knew it was one of the divine focused books.