PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Spell-like abilities benefitting from features that mention spells

Darg
2020-08-01, 11:02 PM
I have had a theory for a while now that SLAs benefit from feats or class features that make a general reference to spells. My first bit of evidence is not what first tipped me off, but provides the foundation for a rules legal interpretation.

Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.

A spell-like ability takes the same amount of time to complete as the spell that it mimics (usually 1 standard action) unless otherwise stated. Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled. In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell

The bolded statement simply tells it how it is. This folds right into my next bit of evidence as sudden metamagic feats specifically only mention spells as being affected.

Sudden Metamagic Feats: These metamagic feats don't require modified spell slots, and so they work as well with spell-like abilities or invocations as they do with spells

This excerpt implies that feats that apply to spells that however lack disqualifiers similar to the spell focus feat which was used as an example of a feat that wouldn't apply to invocations (SLAs aren't spells and therefore don't have a school of magic) apply to spell-like abilities. Another excerpt coroborates this:

Other Metamagic Feats: Except as noted above, metamagic feats can't generally be used to modify spell-like abilities or invocations.

To put it into perspective let's take extend spell and invisible spell as our examples. Extend spell requires a modified spell slot 1 higher than the level of the spell. This makes it disqualified from benefiting SLAs. Invisible spell however does not modify the spell slot of a spell and therefore lacks any disqualifiers. This means that invisible spell can be used with SLAs. This also comes in a different flavor. If one has removed the modification of the used spell slot some how, then any metamagic could be used with an SLA as long as it can't be disqualified. Metamagic school focus feat is one that would provide the benefit, but disqualifies SLAs in the same way spell focus does.

This theme also extends beyond just feats into the realm of class features. Within CArc you have a table of prestige classes that has a "Best for" column with several options for prestige classes that benefit warlocks. I bring this up because most of the classes presented as "best for" a warlock have class features that flat out only mention spells and can't be used with SLAs or invocations as read. This makes the class not actually benefit the base class(es). However, once we take the above evidence and combine it with the recomendations the suggestions make a lot more sense, and the warlock is able now benefit from most of the class features except those with disqualifiers such as requiring spell slots.

Another interpretation based on a pattern of 3 is the warlock's specific qualification for benefitting from spellcasting progression PrCs' +1 level benefit, the above spell-like ability = simple spell, and an obsure line in the CArc under the header of "Spellcasting Level":

Characters or creatures that use spell-like abilities or invocations never learn the arcane circumlocutions of logic and mental training necessary for advanced spellcasting.

All three together point to spell-like abilities to being a form of "simple" spellcasting. This means that a feat like mage slayer would affect the defensive casting of an SLA while also qualifying warlock to benefit from practiced spellcaster without a house rule.

So what do you guys think? Is there more evidence for this that I am missing? This heavily relies on certain entries from CArc and CDiv which means this might not apply outside those books or I could quite possibly have missed entries that slam the "NO!" hammer in my singular persuit. Tear my interpretations to shreds. I want to see if the arguments hold up under scrutiny.

Troacctid
2020-08-02, 12:43 AM
I think you've hit on all the salient evidence. As you can tell, it's pretty thin, and even the best-case leaves a lot of wiggle room for the DM. Expect table variation.

Thurbane
2020-08-03, 12:42 AM
I once asked about Spell Focus working with SLAs, since quite a few monsters with SLAs and no other casting have the Spell Focus (X) feat in their stat block (not that stat blocks are in any way reliable)...

For specific examples, MM3 has a few: Grimweird, Ultroloth, and Witchknife.

Spell Focus With SLAs? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?525208)

I guess I'll chalk it up to sloppy stat blocks then.

I thought it might be one of the exceptions called out in CArc, but not that I can see.

Actually, double checking Complete Arc, it says the following:

Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat.

Seems pretty air tight.

Definitely poor stat block design, then. I shouldn't be surprised.

Darg
2020-08-03, 12:42 AM
Under the header: Making a Shadowcaster

Her abilities are tightly focused, making her somewhat less versatile than other spellcasters,
Under the header: Class Features

Mysteries and Paths: You do not cast spells as other classes do, but instead invoke mystical secrets called mysteries
Under the header: Other Classes

You tend to view other spellcasters, arcane and divine, as both talented and misguided.

Shadowcasters are being included in the spellcaster category even though they don't cast spells.

Off topic but... mysteries cast as spells don't have a cast time. Does that make them non-actions as they don't take any time to cast?

Darg
2020-08-03, 01:23 AM
I once asked about Spell Focus working with SLAs, since quite a few monsters with SLAs and no other casting have the Spell Focus (X) feat in their stat block (not that stat blocks are in any way reliable)...

Well, it's one piece of conflicting information. The Grimweird also has augment summoning which supposedly only works with spells too. More evidence is great. Compared to the evidence that spell feats were meant to work with SLAs, there is only one single line calling out only one specific feat. For all I know it could have been meant as a thematic choice to enable you to pick the superior ability focus feat as a warlock which can technically add up to +6 to the DC's of your eldritch blast when combined with shapes and essences (separate invocations that modify your eldritch blast). Of course that theory could fly out the window considering spells are special attacks which means you could technically get ability focus for a single spell.

nedz
2020-08-03, 09:57 AM

Spell Focus With SLAs? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?525208)

Ability focus should work, and give you +2 to the DC, albeit for just one SLA.

For interest what DC do these stat blocks assume ? (I'm assuming the simply got the name of the feat wrong here).

Darg
2020-08-03, 10:23 AM
Grimweird explicitly says that it benefits from its augment summoning feat. If you back track the stats, the DC 20 lesser planar binding doesn't include the spell focus feat though: spell level 5 plus charisma 20 | 10 + 5 + 5 = 20. If the feat affected it it would be 21.

Witchknife has DCs that imply the focus feat has no effect. Ultroloth on the other hand has DCs that imply it does have an effect.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-08-03, 10:39 AM
I think part of the issue here is that SLAs weren't really considered by WotC writers or editors. Some references to "spells" might apply to SLAs, but it's rarely made explicit. For example, the Sudden X feats all mention spells, not SLAs. Invisible Spell still requires a spell slot, because that's explicitly mentioned (as it is in most metamagic feat descriptions). Sudden metamagics don't mention spell slots, but they do state "without increasing the level of the spell", which isn't even a thing outside of Heighten. Overall, it's just a bit messy.

Another issue is that the difference between individual effects and the ability to produce such effects properly made. I would generally take the line "In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell" to refer to effects rather than abilities, i.e. the effect produced by a CL 9 fireball spell and a CL 9 fireball SLA are the same, but the abilities that produce them are different.

In general, 3.5 could really benefit from a solid definition of the four classes of things that exist: effects, abilities, creatures, and objects. At least, I think that pretty much covers everything?

Darg
2020-08-03, 10:49 AM
The issue with sudden metamagic is that the reason for it working with SLAs is explicitly because it doesn't modify spell slots. Invisible spell doesn't modify the spell slot and is therefore legal according to the sudden metamagic rule. If you take the "without increasing the level of the spell" to mean spell level then it would still require a higher spell slot. As said above, the sudden metamagic rule contradicts this interpretation.

Another issue is that the difference between individual effects and the ability to produce such effects properly made. I would generally take the line "In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell" to refer to effects rather than abilities, i.e. the effect produced by a CL 9 fireball spell and a CL 9 fireball SLA are the same, but the abilities that produce them are different.

The problem with this thinking is that line isn't exactly finished. There is a colon and a non-exhaustive list right after that shows that it was referring to how it works mechanically.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-08-03, 11:53 AM
The issue with sudden metamagic is that the reason for it working with SLAs is explicitly because it doesn't modify spell slots. Invisible spell doesn't modify the spell slot and is therefore legal according to the sudden metamagic rule. If you take the "without increasing the level of the spell" to mean spell level then it would still require a higher spell slot. As said above, the sudden metamagic rule contradicts this interpretation.
I understand that, I was just pointing out that none of the metamagic rules were written with application to SLAs in mind, and due to sloppy editing, some of the feats don't work/wouldn't work if other rules didn't specify that they do/don't make sense.

Edit: Where is your first quote from, exactly? It doesn't match the MM, DMG, or RC definitions of SLA.

Darg
2020-08-03, 12:51 PM
I got it from the SRD.

Spell-Like Abilities (Sp): Spell-like abilities, as the name
implies, are spells and magical abilities that are very much like
spells.

The DMG suggests that spell-like abilities can be considered spells, but aren't classified as such.

nedz
2020-08-03, 01:47 PM
Grimweird explicitly says that it benefits from its augment summoning feat. If you back track the stats, the DC 20 lesser planar binding doesn't include the spell focus feat though: spell level 5 plus charisma 20 | 10 + 5 + 5 = 20. If the feat affected it it would be 21.

Witchknife has DCs that imply the focus feat has no effect. Ultroloth on the other hand has DCs that imply it does have an effect.

So, the stat-blocks for Grimweird and Witchknife aren't wrong then. They take a useless feat and it, correctly, does nothing. Now the build is poor, and the fluff text is wrong, but the stat-block is correct.

Thurbane
2020-08-03, 04:35 PM
I know the Official FAQ is generally treated with disdain, but it does say this:

Does Spell Focus increase the DCs of spell-like abilities? Can I apply metamagic feats or effects to spell-like abilities? What if the feat doesn’t change the spell’s level?
No. Although spell-like abilities function mechanically like spells (a fireball spell-like ability duplicates the mechanical effect of a fireball spell), they are not spells and don’t benefit from feats or other effects that specifically affect spells. This is true even if the metamagic feat effect doesn’t change the spell’s level (such as the metamagic rods from the DMG). Sudden metamagic feats are a specific exception to this, as detailed on page 71 in CAr.
Feats specifically designed to add metamagic effects to spell-like abilities appear in the MM (Empower Spell-Like Ability and Quicken Spell-Like Ability) and CAr (Heighten Spell-Like Ability and Maximize Spell-Like Ability).

And in Complete Arcane:

Since spell-like abilities are not actually spells, a warlock cannot benefit from the Spell Focus feat.

Metamagic feats cannot improve a warlock’s eldritch blast (because it is a spell-like ability, not a spell).

So obviously at least some of the devs were firmly of the opinion that SLAs are not spells, and therefore cannot benefit from feats or features that enhance or alter spells. As usual for WotC, sloppy editing and different readings from devs in different books means that other devs had a different opinion.

My 2 coppers: I tend to agree with the above quotes. I think sudden metamagic feats are a specific exception to the general rule, and the whole "don't require modified spell slots" is just fluff text that leads to ambiguity.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-08-03, 04:56 PM
Thanks, Thurbane, for digging that up :smallsmile:. I agree with you. It's possible that the SRD contains inaccurate quotes, because I do believe some digital versions are edited.

Thurbane
2020-08-03, 05:23 PM
As for the MM3 stat blocks, here's the corrections I'd use for my game:

GRIMWEIRD: remove Augment Summoning and Spell Focus (conjuration) from feats; substitute with Improved Initiative and Improved Toughness [LM]; add ability Augment Summoning (Su): the grimweird applies the benefit of the Augment Summoning feat to any creature it summons with its spell-like abilities.

WITCHKNIFE: remove Spell Focus (enchantment) from feats; substitute with Sudden Ability Focus [ToM].

YUGOLOTH, ULTROLOTH: remove Spell Focus (enchantment) from feats; substitute with Sudden Ability Focus [ToM].

Darg
2020-08-03, 10:21 PM
So obviously at least some of the devs were firmly of the opinion that SLAs are not spells, and therefore cannot benefit from feats or features that enhance or alter spells. As usual for WotC, sloppy editing and different readings from devs in different books means that other devs had a different opinion.

My 2 coppers: I tend to agree with the above quotes. I think sudden metamagic feats are a specific exception to the general rule, and the whole "don't require modified spell slots" is just fluff text that leads to ambiguity.

If sudden metamagics are specific exceptions then the next entry has to be taken into account as a specific exception too:

Sudden Metamagic Feats: These metamagic feats don't require modified spell slots, and so they work as well with spell-like abilities or invocations as they do with spells

Other Metamagic Feats: Except as noted above, metamagic feats can't generally be used to modify spell-like abilities or invocations.

That second line makes it very unlikely that the first line is simply fluff.

GRIMWEIRD: remove Augment Summoning and Spell Focus (conjuration) from feats; substitute with Improved Initiative and Improved Toughness [LM]; add ability Augment Summoning (Su): the grimweird applies the benefit of the Augment Summoning feat to any creature it summons with its spell-like abilities.

The Augment Summoning change is a flat nerf as the entry already states that the feat works with the SLA. Not that anti-magic would be a very common tactic against them /sarcasm. I do like the sudden ability focus change though.

Troacctid
2020-08-04, 03:07 PM
If sudden metamagics are specific exceptions then the next entry has to be taken into account as a specific exception too:

That second line makes it very unlikely that the first line is simply fluff.
Most of them do say to use a spell slot of the spell's normal level, which you can't do with SLAs.