PDA

View Full Version : Optimization SS going tank ?

da newt
2020-08-02, 06:55 AM
Looking for advice. I've got a Gloom Stalker 5, Arcane Trickster 5, Battle Master 4 (unique PC arc) that has been built for SS, DPR, hiding. He has found himself in a party that lacks a real front line and tanking. He just got access to a Belt of Stone Giant ST and a +3 staff (AL, Avernus).

The party is far from optimized, mostly newish players, first time ever tier 3, moon druid (who wildshapes only late in fights into bears), necromancer, ranged rogue, warlock/rogue, 2 clerics (who don't like melee).

I'm thinking it could be smart to burn an ASI on PAM (lvl 4 fighter) and grab a shield so that he can play melee tank or SS. Does this make sense or would it be wiser to focus on doing what he does well already (DPR, ranged, hidden)?

Keravath
2020-08-02, 07:58 AM
You could pick up xbow expert if you don't have it already. Increases DPS and allows you to attack in melee with a bow without penalties. This could let you "tank" in an emergency without hurting DPS.

As far as the belt and staff go ... they would be decent in melee. However, how close are you to your six magic item limit? Do you have room to devote two slots and a feat towards having a decent melee attack option? Keep in mind that the staff is not a finesse weapon so you will also be giving up the 3d6 sneak attack.

Also, if this is AL, I don't know how consistent your table is ... often there can be a lot of turnover and you will be playing with other folks later where doing what you do best may be more useful than having a back up melee attack and ability to stand in melee.

Xbow expert + magical armor might be a better way to improve your melee ability (attack and AC) while still having some ability to stand in melee.

da newt
2020-08-02, 09:01 AM
Thanks. I do have Xbow Xpert and a +1 Heavy Xbow. This brings me to 6 magic items. I have no access to magic armor, AC is 18 / 20 with shield. My DPR would be higher if I went Xbow melee like John Wick, and I do have uncanny dodge ...

With the 'RONA, we are now a roll20 group so the table/party is consistent.

stoutstien
2020-08-02, 09:03 AM
What BM maneuvers did you select? Choices like menacing and goading are useful even at range for interfering with the enemy's tactics.

da newt
2020-08-02, 09:46 AM
Precision, Menacing, Distracting - Goading may have been an even better choice than Menacing with some things immune to fear and my hide skills ...

Dork_Forge
2020-08-02, 10:04 AM
I'm guessing Defense and Archery for your styles?

If you're looking for the option to tank I'd personally just take Tough with Fighter 4, your AC is decent but you hp would be lagging behind and between maneuvers and Hunter's Mark you don't really need the damage bump from PAM.

Keravath
2020-08-02, 03:27 PM
Using a hand crossbow instead of a heavy crossbow would give you the option of a bonus action attack rather than cunning action if the circumstances are right.

Waterdeep Merch
2020-08-03, 11:47 AM
Speaking of the hand crossbow, how big a stickler is your DM on needing a free hand for reloads? RAW, Crossbow Expert completely removes that property and the game never explicitly required a free hand to reload to begin with.

If the DM doesn't care, grab a shield. Also ask if they're going to mind you making Attacks of Opportunity with a ranged weapon, provided that you still adhere to melee range. If they don't care, consider Sentinel. You're now a panzer.

da newt
2020-08-03, 02:14 PM
RAW Xbow Expert does not remove the AMMUNITION property of the Xbow which requires a free hand to load (it does remove the time constraint of the LOADED property, but that has nothing to do with the free hand requirement stated in the AMMUNITION property).

Opp Attacks only allow a Melee Attack, so draw and attack with a melee weapon is probably as much as my PC could do, and then drop the melee weapon (or leave it in the enemy) ...

A Hand Xbow would be nice for BA attacks, but w/ no Magic Hand Xbow and Cunning Actions and Hunter's Mark, the +1 Heavy Xbow is currently better (he also has Eyes of Eagle and attacks at max range whenever possible). My character is wishing that he'll find someone who can move the +3 enchantment from the staff to a Hand Xbow, but that's a pipe dream ...

Yes - Archery first, then Defensive FS. With +1 Ring of Protection and mundane studded leather.

Thanks to the advice, I'll just Max Dex this ASI for 19 AC and +1 to hit, dam, and initiative, stick w/ my Xbow and remind myself that I can always step into melee range to help tank a bit.

Now to figure out if going more lvls of fighter for ASIs, ranger for WIS saves, or rogue for SA and expertise and evasion, ...

Eldariel
2020-08-04, 06:52 AM
If you picked Sentinel, you could use your UA Strike to control enemy movement in melee. Expensive and niche but potentially useful.