PDA

View Full Version : Hellbreaker abilities to gain

Ryabede
2020-08-03, 03:10 PM
Working my way up to steal su ability on the hellbreaker class.
Dm has ruled if I steal a lycanthropes alternate form ability and turn hybred, it's a perm change as it doesn't have a duration after it has been used, or a way to change back.
With this line of thought, any other suggestions for su abilities to gather?

Rebel7284
2020-08-03, 05:55 PM
A creature with Wish as a SLA that also took Supernatural Transformation feat?

Ryabede
2020-08-05, 10:51 PM
Neat, but not a per gain.
The werewolf uses it's alt shape to change, gaining it's stat buffs, and uses a different ability to change back.
That's the kind of things I'm looking for. Perm gains over 1 time uses.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-08-06, 12:11 AM
Dm has ruled if I steal a lycanthropes alternate form ability and turn hybred, it's a perm change as it doesn't have a duration after it has been used, or a way to change back.

This is pretty silly if you steal the hybrid form of something like a were-legendary tiger or bear (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/legendaryAnimal.htm). Tiger gets Str +22, Dex +8, Con +14, +10 natural armor, while bear gets Str +26, Dex +4, Con +14, and 10 natural armor. You wouldn't get any special attacks of the form, and you'll be stuck at large size, but I'd say either is totally worth it.

Death Giants in MM3 have the Steal Soul and Guardian Souls abilities, both of which are passive. So you could full attack a Death Giant that's close to death, gain its Steal Soul ability on the first hit (requires no activation), hit it again and kill it thus stealing its soul and all those it currently has, and with that attack gain its Guardian Souls ability, which is active as long as you have the souls in your possession. Granted this only allows you to add your Cha bonus to your initiative, listen, and spot checks, but you'll also have a swarm of captured souls floating around you.

A Living Spell (MM3) is a template that creates an ooze from a spell which delivers that spell on an attack as a supernatural ability. I'm not sure if there are any decent instantaneous-duration spells to gain from it besides Wish or Miracle (and I seriously doubt there would be a living spell version of either one of those), but this is a way to get pretty much any spell in the game at least once. Granted you need to be able to sneak attack oozes to steal something from one, so let's hope you've got Penetrating Strike or similar. Or find a Cleric with the Slime domain to rebuke/command one and let you borrow the power willingly.

Warshaper in CW gets Morphic Weapons at 1st level, which lasts the duration of your form-changing ability, which with the above Lycanthrope shenanigans is indefinite. You can use that to grow new natural weapons, and grow an existing natural weapon (including those created by this ability) by one size per activation up to colossal damage. So you can be in the hybrid form with a bite attack, two claw attacks, a slam attack, a tail attack, a gore attack, two wing attacks, an unspecified number of tentacle attacks, etc. each of which deals damage as though you were colossal size. You'll just need to find a friendly Warshaper to let you borrow it over and over.

Soulmelds last until the meldshaper chooses to unshape them (MoI p4), but the meldshaping class feature has no type just like spellcasting. However, the Totem Giant in that same book has Soulmelds (Su), but you can only use that to get Frost Helm and Great Raptor Mask. However, you can also steal Totem Chakra Bind (Su) from it and bind one of those to your totem chakra indefinitely.

The Fiery Assault stance in ToB and probably a few others are supernatural, and stances last indefinitely.

If you find a friendly Binder you can gain their Soul Binding (Su) ability at the same level they have it and bind a vestige for 24 hours. Sadly it only lasts 24 hours, so you'll need to keep coming back.

A Shadow Mastiff's (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/shadowMastiff.htm) Shadow Blend (Su) ability is technically a standard action to activate (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#supernaturalAbilities) and lasts indefinitely, so you could gain that forever.

GrayDeath
2020-08-06, 06:01 PM
Find one of these horrifcally powerful Insect Lycanthropes (forgot the name, gives you around +20HD at the elast), grab it, gain its Form and be done with levelling?

Boring, but its worth it. ^^

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-08-06, 06:31 PM
Find one of these horrifcally powerful Insect Lycanthropes (forgot the name, gives you around +20HD at the elast), grab it, gain its Form and be done with levelling?

Boring, but its worth it. ^^

A Lycanthrope gains their HD from the template, not their alternate form. You would just get the ability score changes, size and shape, natural attacks, and natural armor. Only the things that change on the actual Lycanthrope when they use their alternate form.

GrayDeath
2020-08-08, 05:14 PM
Which is even better, unless you caught one that would put you in epic.

I seem to remember seeing a Sand Scrpion thingy in one of the VC`s here with insane Stats. That or a Battle Titan.

You just need a tribe of Kobolds to clean your teeth/Nose ^^

Buufreak
2020-08-08, 05:33 PM
Working my way up to steal su ability on the hellbreaker class.

Except you do. It's a skill check to control which form you are in. You can make it at pretty much any time.