PDA

View Full Version : Need an evocative but vague Artifact name

Chimera245
2020-08-03, 09:12 PM
I'm starting up a game of Ironsworn, and my background vow is to find some legendary item.

I brainstormed some ideas, asked the Oracle some questions, interpreted the answers, and decided that my character is searching for some legendary item that holds the status of "most people have heard of it, but few believe it exists". I've decided that all my character has to go on are myths and fairy tales, and as such, I'm going to leave the actual identity and abilities of the item to be discovered as I play.

The thing is, I SUCK with coming up with names. And I suck with not-speculating-what-mysterious-plot-threads-could-mean-in-the-future.

So as I try to randomly generate some names, I keep getting lackluster names, and also keep reflexively trying to interpret what the name could mean for the artifact's power.

I'm aiming for something like One Piece's titular One Piece, not Thundercats' Sword Of Omens.

The Sword of Omens, even if you've never heard of Thundercats, is obviously a sword. Presumably, it has some form of precognition-based power. But what the hell is the One Piece? What can it do? Even the people in the show don't know. (except the ones who found it last, but most of them are dead...) It "makes you the King of Pirates" and consists of "everything this world has to offer". That is so vague, yet so evocative.

I want that for MY epic fetch quest. So throw some awesome but vague names at me. Or at least some good random generators.

Thanks in advance.

J-H
2020-08-03, 09:50 PM
The Claviger
The Death of All Magic
Spellbane
Breaker of Armies
The Salamander's Gift
Sunderer of Thrones
Radiant Dawn
Sunset
The Moonray
Star-Traveler's Gift
Grace

Chimera245
2020-08-03, 10:45 PM
Ooh, nice. I think I'm gonna go with "Radiant Dawn". Is it a jewel? Does it give off light? Are its powers activated by the sun? Is it even a physical object? WHO KNOWS? Play to find out what happens.

Thanks a lot.

By the way, where did you get those names? Did you make them up outta nowhere, or did you use a generator or something?

J-H
2020-08-04, 06:42 AM
I made them up, although I feel like some of them may have been inspired by various fantasy things over the years. I know the Claviger and Death of All Magic are things or titles that have shown up in D&D(ish) fiction.

D&D_Fan
2020-08-04, 08:25 AM
Axiom
Breakpoint
Crucible
Death's Door
Earthshaker
Fearmonger
Gallant
Hellbound
Icon

These sounded cool, but it is only A-I alphabetically.

Fnissalot
2020-08-04, 08:32 AM
Jotunsinged
Kakophony
Lover's Oath
Marvelium
Nostradater
Ordained Truth

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-04, 08:53 AM
McGuffin (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin)'s Anchent Relic ^^