PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Familiar: Shih Tzu

Kereea
2020-08-05, 06:44 AM
So I'm working on a wizard whose familiar is a fey that takes the form of a gray-black Shih Tzu. He frequently rides around in her bag and thinks he's much more badass than he is. They're from a mining community so his sense of smell (for danger in the mines from gas or people who snuck in) is his main selling point, but I'm not sure how to do mechanics for him other than having Keen Smell as an ability, maybe also Keen Hearing. My main question is does DOG: TOY BREED even have stats in the game?

Like, I'm not planning on him having any real attack ability beyond "lookit the distraction" via maybe getting yappy as a Help action or running around confusingly. I'm considering maybe just using the stats for Weasel since that's fairly similar, but was wondering if anyone else had used Small Dogs.

nickl_2000
2020-08-05, 06:59 AM
To answer your question, no there is no small or tiny dog breed. However, it's a fairly easy on to make. Just spitballing here.

Toy Shih Tzu
Tiny beast, unaligned
Armor Class 13
Hit Points 1 (1d4 - 1)
Speed 25 ft.
STR 8 (-1)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 8 (-1)
INT 3 (-4)
WIS 14 (+2)
CHA 7 (-2)
Skills Perception +5
Senses passive Perception 15
Languages -

Keen Hearing and Smell. The Shih Tzu has advantage on Wisdom (Perception) checks that rely on hearing or smell.

ACTIONS
Bite. Melee Weapon Attack: +4 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: Hit: 1 piercing damage

I took the mastiff as a base
Reduced the strength and constitution
Increased the Dexterity and Wisdom.
Upped the perception by a two points
Decreased the HP to 1
Increased the AC to 13.

You should be pretty close here, it is on par with other familiars

You can also take the weasel and just refluff those stats. I've done something similar refluffing the Cat into a Squirrel.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-08-05, 08:58 PM
Weasel is about right, yeah. Bump the Charisma a bit and lose the stealth proficiency, and you're about perfect-- which, coincidentally, is about exactly the same as what nickl_2000 got by downsizing the mastiff.