PDA

View Full Version : Spike Growth + Thorn Whip

nickl_2000
2020-08-05, 07:45 AM
If you pull someone towards you through a spike growth field do they take the 2d4 damage for each 5 feet (total of 4d4 damage)?

They aren't controlling the movement, but they are travelling through the area.

Sigreid
2020-08-05, 07:51 AM
Yep. And if you have a warlock with repelling blast to push them the other way it can get down right brutal.

Zhorn
2020-08-05, 07:54 AM
Agreeing with Sigreid. Area of Effect isn't negated by involuntary movement.
Off the top of my head I only think it's grapples and opportunity attacks that behave differently with involuntary movements.

nickl_2000
2020-08-05, 07:56 AM
Yep. And if you have a warlock with repelling blast to push them the other way it can get down right brutal.

The same goes for open hand monk shoves?

Seems like you could create a party just designed about shoving bad guys through a spike growth field as a primary battle strategy.

Shield Master Barbarian as the primary tank
Hill Dwarf Nature Cleric with thorn whip as the secondary tank
Warlock with push and pull on EB
Open Hand Monk to push with flurry of blows.

You could toss enemies all over the place with this plan.

nickl_2000
2020-08-05, 07:58 AM
Off the top of my head I only think it's grapples and opportunity attacks that behave differently with involuntary movements.

It definitely is opportunity attacks. A creature must choose to use their movement to provoke an opportunity attack. I once was in a battle in swiftly moving water and was beaten up pretty badly by a scary Eldritch Horror type creature. I broke it's grapple on me, fell into the water, and stopped fighting the current (letting it carry me away from the monster). Since it didn't use my movement, no AoO

prabe
2020-08-05, 09:58 AM
A creature must choose to use their movement to provoke an opportunity attack.

This isn't exactly correct. A creature must be moving under its own power to provoke an opportunity attack. Any form of mind control that makes a creature move will trigger opportunity attacks--it's what makes dissonant whispers effective in the right circumstances, for one thing.

kaervaak
2020-08-05, 11:14 AM
Graviturgy wizard with upcast magic missile is straight brutal with spike growth. Every time you hit someone with a spell you can move them 5 feet. 11 missiles, 55 feet of movement (in any direction you want), 3d4+1 * 11 (94) damage.

Lord Vukodlak
2020-08-05, 12:08 PM
Graviturgy wizard with upcast magic missile is straight brutal with spike growth. Every time you hit someone with a spell you can move them 5 feet. 11 missiles, 55 feet of movement (in any direction you want), 3d4+1 * 11 (94) damage.

Not quite “it’s whenever you cast a spell on a creature.” With the additional requirement it fail its save or “the spell hits it with an attack”
So you can only effect a creature once per casting.
You could still effect multiple creatures in a single casting.

Davo
2020-08-05, 02:02 PM

For completeness, Booming Blade secondary damage requires voluntary movement:

If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends.