PDA

View Full Version : Refluffing a Shield

AvvyR
2020-08-05, 10:31 PM
My group is gearing up for a new campaign. I'm going to play a Alchemist Artificer with the Guild Artisan background, and be a local apothecary shop owner that ends up turning to adventuring.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that there's really no reason to not use a shield, since Artificers are proficient and there's not much to do with the offhand. But, I don't really fancy the image of this character hauling around a big hunk of wood and metal in one hand and throwing explosive vials with the other.

What are some ideas to re-fluff a shield to be something that feels more appropriate while providing the +2 AC and occupying the off hand?

Verble
2020-08-05, 10:46 PM
Perhaps a parrying dagger?

I tend to use the image of a buckler for most shields, which is a small round metal shield, rather than a heater or kite shield.

As an artificer, perhaps some type of telescoping metal wing design that expands into place?

C-Dude
2020-08-05, 11:12 PM
Metal bars/slats lining the off-hand side of the cloak. They provide no protection unless the off-hand is used to draw the cloak into a guarding position.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-08-06, 01:08 AM
A metal protective carry vassal.
You draw your potions from it when you cast spells.

It is heavy and you swing it around to protect yourself. You are sure the potions inside are safe because you built it like it.

langal
2020-08-06, 01:42 AM
How about just not using a shield?

What happens if you find a shield + 1? Would you expect to be able to fluff that?

I might allow some substitute to give you a +1 bonus but refluffing should only go so far IMO.

ftafp
2020-08-06, 01:49 AM
My group is gearing up for a new campaign. I'm going to play a Alchemist Artificer with the Guild Artisan background, and be a local apothecary shop owner that ends up turning to adventuring.

Anyway, the issue I'm having is that there's really no reason to not use a shield, since Artificers are proficient and there's not much to do with the offhand. But, I don't really fancy the image of this character hauling around a big hunk of wood and metal in one hand and throwing explosive vials with the other.

What are some ideas to re-fluff a shield to be something that feels more appropriate while providing the +2 AC and occupying the off hand?

A prosthetic arm is my go-to. You don't need to use the crappy infusion either since as long as you're wearing it you don't have use of that hand. Throw it up to block a blow and then hit them back with your other arm

ff7hero
2020-08-06, 01:55 AM

What happens if you find a shield + 1? Would you expect to be able to fluff that?

I might allow some substitute to give you a +1 bonus but refluffing should only go so far IMO.

This seems a bizarre way to refluff a shield, which is the topic of this thread.

HappyDaze
2020-08-06, 03:09 AM
If it doesn't mechanically alter it in any way, consider that just holding most things in the hand doesn't really work. Shields in 5e take a full Action to don/doff a shield which is considerably more effort that picking up/dropping some of the handheld substitutes suggested here would require. I also agree that you're unlikely to ever find magical versions of your version of a shield, so this might be a moot point if you ever find a superior shield and want to use it.

AvvyR
2020-08-06, 03:21 AM
Perhaps a parrying dagger?

I tend to use the image of a buckler for most shields, which is a small round metal shield, rather than a heater or kite shield.

That would work well for a fighter or some martial class, but I'm not seeing this character as one who's really trained with weapons or is familiar with using them.

A prosthetic arm is my go-to.
Fun, but too Winter Soldier for me.

Metal bars/slats lining the off-hand side of the cloak. They provide no protection unless the off-hand is used to draw the cloak into a guarding position.

A metal protective carry vassal.
You draw your potions from it when you cast spells.

It is heavy and you swing it around to protect yourself. You are sure the potions inside are safe because you built it like it.

These two I like a lot, and I'll probably end up using one or the other. Thanks!

Because there's no reason not to. If refluffing wasn't an option, I'd just use the shield and deal with not liking the aesthetics rather than just make my character weaker for no reason. As for magic items, I trust my DM to work with me when loot is being handed out, rather than trying to create a problem.

KillingTime
2020-08-06, 04:44 AM
A fan of steel plates that can unfurl out of a bionic arm like a peacock tail?

IsaacsAlterEgo
2020-08-06, 05:21 AM
You could also maybe reflavor the shield as one you've created through your alchemy, rather than a heavy metal martial item, while still keeping the same idea of what a shield does. It could just be a flat piece of wood or ceramic tied to your arm that you've covered in a variety of alchemical substances that deflect incoming attacks on their own if you move to block them in time. You've still essentially got a shield, but the flavor matches the character better. Could even be a fun character thing to be constantly tweaking the formula of the shield goo to improve it, with a +1 version just being the discovery of an improved formula, or a better surface to spread it on.

AvvyR
2020-08-06, 05:29 AM

I'm leaning hard into the alchemist aspect of the class, and away from the classic mechanical tinkerer trope artificer tends to be associated with. I'm describing all of my spells as some sort of potion, aerosol, salve, or oil that's producing the effect. The invocations too. For example, if I take the "replicate bag of holding" invocation, I'd say I spread a thick dimensional paste on the inside of a bag that creates the extra space inside. "Replicate goggles of night" would be a special spray on the lenses of a pair of glasses that grants darkvision, and so forth.

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-08-06, 06:02 AM
A cape makes for a good +a little to AC in general.

I'm leaning hard into the alchemist aspect of the class, and away from the classic mechanical tinkerer trope artificer tends to be associated with. I'm describing all of my spells as some sort of potion, aerosol, salve, or oil that's producing the effect. The invocations too. For example, if I take the "replicate bag of holding" invocation, I'd say I spread a thick dimensional paste on the inside of a bag that creates the extra space inside. "Replicate goggles of night" would be a special spray on the lenses of a pair of glasses that grants darkvision, and so forth.

So like some sort of salve that grows a protective layer on your off arm and hand? An open flask of foul smelling liquid or a spray of some type that throws your opponents' aim off a little?

KillingTime
2020-08-06, 06:23 AM

How about a heavy leather and rubber protective gauntlet that you use to protect yourself from splashes and explosions in the lab?

HappyDaze
2020-08-06, 07:19 AM
How about a heavy leather and rubber protective gauntlet that you use to protect yourself from splashes and explosions in the lab?

So long as the hand can't be used for anything else, because it's holding a shield.

NaughtyTiger
2020-08-06, 07:35 AM
My first thought was an alchemical item mounted to your wrist than generates a force feild or such.

But I REALLY like KillingTime's rubber glove...

Lvl 2 Expert
2020-08-06, 08:21 AM

Ooh, yeah, like a cross between a liquid nitrogen glove and one a falconer would use.

da newt
2020-08-06, 08:35 AM
An umbrella - used as a walking stick mostly, then popped open and wielded like a shield in combat?

A piece of blast shield / fume hood from the lab where you mix up all your potions? Transparent, chemical and blast resistant, lab equipment ...

A spray bottle of quick forming impact absorbing foam.

Martin Greywolf
2020-08-06, 08:53 AM
A fan that can be expanded into a shield is a classic - even if it doesn not work once you know how shields work.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeterminedHomelyGreathornedowl-size_restricted.gif

Bucklers were traditionally the shields used by pretty much everyone as sidearms.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/media/cache/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/37-14_large.jpg

These came in weird shapes sometimes, so you could do pretty much whatever with it, as long as it is vaguely shield-like.

http://manuscriptminiatures.com/media/cache/manuscriptminiatures.com/original/535-3_large.jpg

There is also a variant of it called Hungarian buckler (despite nothing like that ever being found in Hungary), and that one could be made to work in pretty much any variant, sewn into a cloak or something. Well, in a TTRPG, not recommended for actual use.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/6/60/Jagiellonian_Ms.Germ.Quart.16_%28Gladiatoria%29_55 r_-_Messer_and_Hungarian_shield.jpg/1024px-Jagiellonian_Ms.Germ.Quart.16_%28Gladiatoria%29_55 r_-_Messer_and_Hungarian_shield.jpg

Grod_The_Giant
2020-08-06, 04:12 PM
So long as the hand can't be used for anything else, because it's holding a shield.
I've used the liquid nitrogen kind and it's pretty hard to do anything with that hand... probably a similar level of dexterity as letting go of the shield's handle while keeping it strapped on.

KillingTime
2020-08-06, 04:20 PM

It's still just a refluffed shield, so mechanically you can't do anything with it you couldn't do with a shield.
I just thought the image was more in keeping with the OPs idea of an alchemist.

ftafp
2020-08-06, 04:28 PM
Fun, but too Winter Soldier for me.

Considering you're making an alchemist I would have thought that Edward Elric is more appropriate

Joe the Rat
2020-08-06, 06:42 PM
Playing with the gauntlet idea, you've permeated the outer lining with a non-newtonian fluid. It takes an action to warm up the 'shaker' in the wrist mount, at which point the whole solidifies. It takes an action to switch it off... and wait for it to soften. You lose acess to the hand because the fingers get locked closed while it is hardened.

pantastic
2020-08-06, 08:18 PM

Hey, the OP can't use this!!! This is almost exactly what _my_ artificer's shield looks like! :smallbiggrin:

heavyfuel
2020-08-06, 08:44 PM
How about some good-old armor?

Ask your DM for a Breatplate (or whatever) that has a reinforced metal arm guard. This arm guard increases the armor AC by 2 but makes you unable to use your arm effectively.

This seems a bizarre way to refluff a shield, which is the topic of this thread.

I do think langal presents a valid concern. Finding a +1 shield should be much more common that finding a +1 bizarre contraption. And then you're out of a magic item.

Plus, depending on the setting the DM has in mind, something that deviates too much from regular armor shouldn't be just as effective as armor. Although I don't think that's a problem for Eberron

sithlordnergal
2020-08-06, 08:51 PM
I'm torn between the idea of a thick glove that can act as a shield, and the cloak idea. I really like both.

As for Langal...I mean, a refluff is a refluff. Does it really matter if its a proper shield instead of something cooler? Personally I don't really refluff very many things because I like mechanics to back up the fluff, otherwise I 100% forget the fluff and go back to the basics found in the PHB...but if you wanna say that your Eldritch Blast is really just some sort of pistol with multiple rounds, and the Fireball you cast is actually you tossing a grenade, go for it. Doesn't matter to me since nothing is actually changing. A Fireball is still a 20ft radius sphere that deals fire damage, doesn't really matter if its a spell, grenade, rocket, or energy from a punch. As long as it can be counterspelled and follows the rules.

Dankus Memakus
2020-08-07, 03:11 AM
I'm torn between the idea of a thick glove that can act as a shield, and the cloak idea. I really like both.

As for Langal...I mean, a refluff is a refluff. Does it really matter if its a proper shield instead of something cooler? Personally I don't really refluff very many things because I like mechanics to back up the fluff, otherwise I 100% forget the fluff and go back to the basics found in the PHB...but if you wanna say that your Eldritch Blast is really just some sort of pistol with multiple rounds, and the Fireball you cast is actually you tossing a grenade, go for it. Doesn't matter to me since nothing is actually changing. A Fireball is still a 20ft radius sphere that deals fire damage, doesn't really matter if its a spell, grenade, rocket, or energy from a punch. As long as it can be counterspelled and follows the rules.

I also tend to avoid refluffs but sometimes a concept needs one and this class is pretty much the refluffs king. Going to agree with sith lord here.

As to ideas. You could always have some chemical solvent you pour on your arm that hardens so you can block with it.

Dr paradox
2020-08-07, 03:24 AM
I second the cloak idea. Using a cloak to parry while fencing is a historical technique, and having one that's lightly armored along that shoulder would feel pretty right, especially if you had pockets on the inside to draw out phials from.

Tanarii
2020-08-07, 07:51 AM
Doesn't matter to me since nothing is actually changing. A Fireball is still a 20ft radius sphere that deals fire damage, doesn't really matter if its a spell, grenade, rocket, or energy from a punch. As long as it can be counterspelled and follows the rules.
That's the kicker for most people. If it can be counter spelled or dispelled, their suspension of disbelief in something being a mundane 'refluff' is broken.

In this case, if it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't be able to hold or use the hand with the fluffy-shield-glove. Or it couldn't be dropped as an object interaction. Etc.

langal
2020-08-07, 11:43 AM
How about some good-old armor?

Ask your DM for a Breatplate (or whatever) that has a reinforced metal arm guard. This arm guard increases the armor AC by 2 but makes you unable to use your arm effectively.

I do think langal presents a valid concern. Finding a +1 shield should be much more common that finding a +1 bizarre contraption. And then you're out of a magic item.

Plus, depending on the setting the DM has in mind, something that deviates too much from regular armor shouldn't be just as effective as armor. Although I don't think that's a problem for Eberron

I see your points.

How about a big oven-type mitt that you have coated with some epoxy solution to harden it up. Maybe the DM can grant additional bonuses to the solution as you reach certain milestones.

Mikal
2020-08-07, 02:26 PM

This. Just man up and either use the shield or don’t use one if you just can’t bear to have one worn. Or are ya just gonna magically have all your shields you find somehow become whatever you fluff it is.

Gods sake... 🙄

sithlordnergal
2020-08-07, 03:48 PM
This. Just man up and either use the shield or don’t use one if you just can’t bear to have one worn. Or are ya just gonna magically have all your shields you find somehow become whatever you fluff it is.

Gods sake... 🙄

Again, what would the issue with that be? And believe me, I don't care about fluff. If there's not a mechanic behind something, I ignore it...but if the fluff is important to a player what does it matter? The +1 shield becomes a +1 glove/cloak/parrying dagger/whatever. The +1 can just come from a transmutation spell that allows the shield to take the shape the wielder wants.

sithlordnergal
2020-08-07, 03:51 PM
That's the kicker for most people. If it can be counter spelled or dispelled, their suspension of disbelief in something being a mundane 'refluff' is broken.

In this case, if it doesn't make sense that you wouldn't be able to hold or use the hand with the fluffy-shield-glove. Or it couldn't be dropped as an object interaction. Etc.

I mean...it still can. Counterspell could be interfering with the internal mechanisms of that special grenade you're using. And trust me, I'm about as unconcerned with fluff and such as it gets. But why bother removing a player's creativity for something that, in the end, won't really matter.

Rule number 1 of fluff should always be if its preventing creativity, change the fluff to suit your needs. Druids are fluffed to be nature lovers? Screw that, your Druid was a city boy that loved gardening. Never been on a nature hike once in his life.

That +1 shield is a shield? Screw it, make it an awesome cloak add-on that reinforces said cloak to be usable as a shield, provided you use it as such.

Mikal
2020-08-07, 04:00 PM
Again, what would the issue with that be? And believe me, I don't care about fluff. If there's not a mechanic behind something, I ignore it...but if the fluff is important to a player what does it matter? The +1 shield becomes a +1 glove/cloak/parrying dagger/whatever. The +1 can just come from a transmutation spell that allows the shield to take the shape the wielder wants.

Because it 1) breaks the verisimilitude of the game and 2) messes with balance since it can allow someone to use a shield and a weapon without needing warcaster to cast spells and 3) requires extra work on the dms part to accommodate when it isn’t needed.

Its another example of players wanting to be catered to instead of you know, having to deal with checks and balances. It’s old, it’s tiring, and it should be curtailed.

Cause you know, god forbid the world isn’t changed around for your whims when you whine instead of just dealing with it. FFS If you don’t like how it looks ignore it when you picture your character. Simple- no need to change mechanics and fluff, since it’s all about how you visualize yourself in a game of imagination.

Kane0
2020-08-07, 04:19 PM
A chemical compound that expands and hardens into dense foam around your hand and arm

A miniature potion shelf/tool rack strapped to hang off your shoulder

A broken old tool that was especially bulky and inefficient that you have since replaced

A failed invention that you are too sentimental to get rid of

‘Blessing in a bottle’ that makes a magical/alchemical barrier in front of you as long as you dramatically hold your hand up in front of you

The party’s cooking pot, because someone has to carry it

langal
2020-08-07, 04:21 PM
Because it 1) breaks the verisimilitude of the game and 2) messes with balance since it can allow someone to use a shield and a weapon without needing warcaster to cast spells and 3) requires extra work on the dms part to accommodate when it isn’t needed.

Its another example of players wanting to be catered to instead of you know, having to deal with checks and balances. It’s old, it’s tiring, and it should be curtailed.

Cause you know, god forbid the world isn’t changed around for your whims when you whine instead of just dealing with it. FFS If you don’t like how it looks ignore it when you picture your character. Simple- no need to change mechanics and fluff, since it’s all about how you visualize yourself in a game of imagination.

I tend to agree with this. Maybe work with the player to get a lessened version of something (similar to improvised weapon) but as a player I would in no way expect to get handed a magical "not a shield but functions as one". Once you reach a high level, maybe you can spend some good and craft one.. If you really hate shields then don't use one and forego the AC bonus. Any refluffed replacement is pretty much a gift from the DM imo. Thorin's oak branch did not give him a "plus 2". And he would never expect an "oak branch + 1".

My Moana character uses a paddling oar. I do not expect to ever find a Paddling Oar of Striking. I would just stop using a paddling oar and choose to use another weapon if I found something that was worth it to me.

Kane0
2020-08-07, 04:24 PM
My Moana character uses a paddling oar. I do not expect to ever find a Paddling Oar of Striking. I would just stop using a paddling oar and choose to use another weapon if I found something that was worth it to me.

If you’re an artificer you could probably grind down a +1 weapon into +1 powder and sprinkle that on your oar though.

Or something

langal
2020-08-07, 04:37 PM
If you’re an artificer you could probably grind down a +1 weapon into +1 powder and sprinkle that on your oar though.

Or something

LOL. She's going to look for Belle's dad to make something nice.

HappyDaze
2020-08-07, 04:38 PM

Or something

Or just use an infusion to power up whatever you're using.

langal
2020-08-07, 04:41 PM
Or just use an infusion to power up whatever you're using.

Moana can sing but she is not wise in the ways of artificing. She does swing a mean paddling oar.

Morty
2020-08-07, 04:45 PM
A subdued version would be just using a buckler or some other small shield. 5E shields are a very generic category so technically a buckler works the same as a larger shield.