PDA

View Full Version : Party optimization for long term AoE Spells

nickl_2000
2020-08-06, 10:40 AM
This came out of another thread, but I'm curious what you think would be an optimal 4 PC party for long term AoE spells. The things I'm thinking about are shoving people over a spike growth area. My thoughts

1) Nature Cleric with thorn whip. Casts Spirit Guardians and drags people through it with thorn whip
2) Druid with thorn whip. Casts Spike growth/wall of thorns in the same area as Spirit Guardians and drags people through it with thorn whip
3) Celestial Warlock, casts flaming sphere/wall of fire and uses EB to pull/push people through the danger area.
4) Human Strength Based Sword and Board Barbarian with Shield Master to shove and proficiency in athletics

Are there other spells you would suggest for a situation like this? Other classes that would work well or better?

You have a tank in the barbarian and the Nature Cleric
You have a healer in the Cleric and Druid (and to a lesser extent the warlock)
You have social in the celestial warlock
You have exploration tier covered by the nature cleric and Druid
3 of the 4 characters can make the ground nasty and all 4 characters can move people around inside it to cause pain.

OldTrees1
2020-08-06, 10:49 AM
Most AoEs based on movement only affect voluntary movement. Shoving or pulling someone around a spike growth does nothing.

Edit: I learned something new about Spike Growth. It is an exception to this general rule.

micahaphone
2020-08-06, 11:03 AM
Most AoEs based on movement only affect voluntary movement. Shoving or pulling someone around a spike growth does nothing.

Spike Growth is the one AOE where pulling/shoving does work, actually. I'ts a neat combo

My favorite is Web (or a Barbarian grappler with decent Con) plus Sickening Radiance. Doesn't matter how much health you have after Exhaustion starts to stack!

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-06, 11:17 AM

Correction:

"Entering such an area of effect needn’t be voluntary, unless a spell says otherwise. You can, therefore, hurl a creature into the area with a spell like thunderwave. We consider that clever play, not an imbalance, so hurl away!
Keep in mind, however, that a creature is subjected to such an area of effect only the first time it enters the area on a turn. You can’t move a creature in and out of it to damage it over and over again on the same turn"

-Sage Advice Compendium, p.16-17 (https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/sage-advice/sage-advice-compendium)

Spike Growth is an anomaly in this case, as it affects a creature for every 5 feet it moves, making it an exception to the above clause.

da newt
2020-08-06, 11:33 AM
A small note - if your thornwhip or grasp of hadar caster can fly (or climb walls) then they can also drop folks for a bit of extra damage and they land PRONE. This doesn't increase the damage of AoE spells like Spike Growth, but can be very handy for control (reduced movement) and granting ADV to others for melee attacks.

Bugbears make good grapplers / shovers due to extra reach on attacks.

As always, MC Barb/Rogue for athletics expertise and Cunning Action DASH w/ a grappled enemy or two makes that even better.

Lighting Lure (SCAG) is another pull cantrip.

Hex for disadv on ST ability checks is handy for grapplers.