PDA

View Full Version : Templar - Paladin subclass

paladinn
2020-08-07, 03:20 PM
I just found this while poking around:
https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Oath_of_the_Templar_(5e_Subclass)

I confess, I rather like this a lot. While the existing paladin oaths are great, this opens up the class to a lot more possibilities, especially as the paladin relates to a given deity.

The prospect of a templar serving a deity of Light seems particularly cool:)

Thoughts?

Naanomi
2020-08-07, 03:34 PM
'Templar' already has DnD historical connotations (as Darksun's 'paladin' equivalent) so... probably will need to be tied to that or given a different name for logistics

intregus
2020-08-07, 03:52 PM
I actually really like that subclass! Its got a lot of versatility that fits what 5e was originally going for

Snownine
2020-08-07, 04:09 PM
I'm not a big fan, personally. Most of the features it gets are just the features from the cleric of the domain it chooses, not very original. While the aura has a nice effect, only getting it once per day is pretty lame. Templar's Smite is very strong, maybe too much so when considering it stacks with Improved Divine Smite.

ProsecutorGodot
2020-08-07, 04:48 PM
With only a single use of Channel Divinity per rest for Paladin's, this is actually a do nothing subclass for almost 15 levels. Paladins are shockingly feature lite on their subclasses, but the effect they get at level 7 being an always on aura (or in some cases, an extra reaction option) is usually fairly defining for them.

Fun Fact - The new Oath of Glory subclass has the following as a channel divinity option starting at level 3:

Inspiring Smite. Immediately after you deal damage to a creature with your Divine Smite feature, you can use your Channel Divinity as a bonus action and distribute temporary hit points to creatures of your choice within 30 feet of you, which can include you. The total number of temporary hit points equals 2d8 + your level in this class, divided among the chosen creatures however you like.

A much better version of this level 7 ability, especially considering you also get a passive aura at level 7.

The 15th level feature looks decent, but since it's limited to weapon attacks (thankfully, otherwise we'd have Warlock dip problems) you're only seeing the benefit 2-3 times a turn, making it only slightly better than Foe Slayer, which is not high praise.

About the only real benefit to this class is that if a Cleric has any domain spells that you really want on a Paladin, you can have them. That's not even all that impressive either, since a large majority of these spells overlap with the Paladin spell list anyway.

Well there's also the 20th level feature, which ranges from meh to completely insane. I don't really have a problem with 20th level features having a high power budget though, so I'm not going to count it against it. What I will count against it is that the Wizard's capstone has found it's way in for no good reason.

HappyDaze
2020-08-07, 06:58 PM
'Templar' already has DnD historical connotations (as Darksun's 'paladin' equivalent) so... probably will need to be tied to that or given a different name for logistics

I would say that the Dark Sun Templar is much more a type of Warlock than a Paladin of any kind.

Naanomi
2020-08-07, 08:03 PM
I would say that the Dark Sun Templar is much more a type of Warlock than a Paladin of any kind.
Fluffwise? Probably... mechanically/aesthetically? Spells and Heavy Armor and martial weapons...

rickayelm
2020-08-07, 09:38 PM
Oath of the Crown Paladin makes a perfect Dark Sun templar.