PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next 5e Rogue Archetype: Enforcer

CosmoCanyon
2020-08-07, 07:16 PM
Enforcer

I basically wanted to make a tankier Rogue, a good option for Str Rogues, and an archetype that had a few street-punk-esque skills. Yes, it's another "Thug" Rogue archetype... I just wanna know if it's any good/balanced
Not all Rogues pride themselves on their ability to sneak, steal, or silently scout out their enemies. In fact, there are some, many who work under more powerful and aloof criminals, who take to bullying and intimidation much more easily than subtle skulduggery. Such rogues are often known by simple, fast titles such as “thug”, “goon”, “muscle”, or “punk”, but they are not necessarily unintelligent. A good enforcer hones their skill in beating and frightening their enemies because they know that those methods are often incredibly effective.

Thug’s Tools
Starting at 3rd level, your fighting ability has expanded beyond the pithy bolts and daggers of a standard Rogue. You have learned to master straightforward, sturdy, and deadly implements. This awards you a number of abilities:

You gain proficiency with Medium Armor
You gain proficiency with one simple or martial melee weapon of your choice which does not have the “special” property. You also gain proficiency with improvised weapons.
You may use the above weapons to perform a Sneak Attack as normal, even if they do not have the “finesse” property, as long as the other criteria for Sneak Attack are met

Dirty Fighting
When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you learn how to fight creatively, if not fairly. As a bonus action, you kick up sand, strike with your weapon’s pommel, swing a nearby chair, or otherwise make an inventive attempt to stagger your opponent and keep their attention off of your crew:

Make a melee weapon attack against a creature, dealing 1d6 + ability mod damage on a hit. This damage increases to 1d8 at 9th level, 1d10 at 13th level, and 1d12 at 17th level.
A creature hit by this attack has disadvantage on all attack rolls against targets other than you and cannot take reactions until the start of your next turn.

Imposing Physique
Starting at 9th level, your body is toughened and toned to an intimidating degree. You may add your Str or Dex (your choice) mod in addition to your Cha to all Intimidation checks.
In addition, you gain 1 HP now for each Rogue level you have, as well as 1 HP whenever you gain another Rogue level.

Useful to Have Around
By 13th level, you have proven your utility in many situations, but especially those where you get to break things. You now have advantage on all Str checks and attack rolls against bindings, constructs, objects, and structures, and you may reroll your damage on attacks against these targets and take the higher roll.

Lock ‘em down
When you reach 17th level, you have become an expert at harassing and controlling your opponents in combat. When you deal a creature damage with Dirty Fighting, instead of subjecting that creature to its normal nondamage effects, you may choose instead to Grapple it, Push it up to 15 ft, or knock it Prone.
Using your action, you may subject a creature Grappled in this way to a skill contest: your Athletics check contested by the target’s Athletics or Acrobatics (their choice) check. If you succeed, that creature is also Restrained for as long as they are Grappled.

JNAProductions
2020-08-08, 11:34 AM
Dirty Fighting is TWF... But a LOT better. I'd move it back or nix it entirely.

The rest looks fine. Potent, but not OP.

CosmoCanyon
2020-08-11, 11:47 AM
Hmm, I don't want to move Dirty Fighting back, but I do see the point about it being compared to TWF. Think this can otherwise be fixed by reducing damage, removing the bit about reactions, making it a limited resource, etc? I was hesitant to make it a limited resource because those are uncommon for rogues, but I will it that's the only way to balance it.