PDA

View Full Version : What do you consider an elemental race

Qendal
2020-08-08, 01:13 AM
I’m talking like genasi. Something you could clearly see/tell or could at least imply that they are related to elementals

EDIT: I should've added this at the beginning

Let me describe the 3 planes of this campaign.
Eros: The Humanoid Plane: Elves Dwarves Gnomes ect.
Kraechen: The Beastman Plane: Tortles Tabaxi ect.
Ornayes: The Elemental Plane: Genasi Tiefling Aasimar(What else idk thats why I ask)

My character, A Tortle, ended up being taught by a Race from The Elemental Plane.
I need to pick a race but I would like to know what could be options.
This will also help my DM

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-08, 01:36 AM
Any race with fluff relating to the elemental planes.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 01:38 AM
This does not help

Qendal
2020-08-08, 01:39 AM
Anything core Ua Plane shift

Millstone85
2020-08-08, 01:45 AM
Goliaths are related to stone giants, which along with frost, fire, cloud and storm giants have an obvious connection to the elements.

Similarly, dragonborn are related to chromatic and metallic dragons, which are largely defined by their elemental breaths.

Aarakocra and tritons are from the planes of air and water.

Those were my first thoughts.

OldTrees1
2020-08-08, 01:47 AM
4 Categories of elemental race
True: The race has the Elemental type.
Bloodline: The race is described as directly related to other elementals.
Touched: The race is not related to the elementals, but was shaped by living on an elemental plane.
Associated: These races have strong themes involving one of the elements.

AarakocraTouched
DwarfAssociated
GenasiBloodline
GnomeAssociated
GoliathAssociated
TritonTouched

I did not include Firbolg because they have a nature theme rather than an earth theme.
I did not include things with draconic nature because Dragons get their own type.

5E has a short race list, so it does not have any True elemental races yet and only has 1 Bloodline elemental race to my knowledge.

Edit: Late night typo removed

Millstone85
2020-08-08, 02:27 AM
I did not include Aasimar or Tiefling because some don't see positive/negative as elements.Some would also dislike the implication that the the Upper/Lower Planes are tied to the Positive/Negative Planes.

IMO, while it is clear that angels really like radiant damage, and may switch to necrotic when they fall, I think the energy planes have a lot more to do with the Feywild and Shadowfell.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 11:29 AM
My dm did put them in the elemental plane

JackPhoenix
2020-08-08, 11:39 AM
This does not help

Well, you haven't told us why do you ask and what do you need to help with, so....

OldTrees1
2020-08-08, 11:41 AM
Some would also dislike the implication that the the Upper/Lower Planes are tied to the Positive/Negative Planes.

IMO, while it is clear that angels really like radiant damage, and may switch to necrotic when they fall, I think the energy planes have a lot more to do with the Feywild and Shadowfell.

Wow, that was a late night typo. Thanks for catching it.

Honestly I think the Feywild and Shadowfell are also unrelated.

Unoriginal
2020-08-08, 12:04 PM
4 Categories of elemental race
True: The race has the Elemental type.
Bloodline: The race is described as directly related to other elementals.
Touched: The race is not related to the elementals, but was shaped by living on an elemental plane.
Associated: These races have strong themes involving one of the elements.

AarakocraTouched
DwarfAssociated
GenasiBloodline
GnomeAssociated
GoliathAssociated
TritonTouched

I did not include Firbolg because they have a nature theme rather than an earth theme.
I did not include things with draconic nature because Dragons get their own type.

5E has a short race list, so it does not have any True elemental races yet and only has 1 Bloodline elemental race to my knowledge.

Edit: Late night typo removed

This is quite correct, although the Sea Elf is also in the "Touched" category.

Some would also dislike the implication that the the Upper/Lower Planes are tied to the Positive/Negative Planes.

Well it's because they aren't. In the default lore at least.

Honestly I think the Feywild and Shadowfell are also unrelated.

Unrelated to what?

Qendal
2020-08-08, 12:43 PM
Ornayes: The Elemental Plane: Genasi Tiefling Aasimar(What else idk thats why I ask)

My character, A Tortle, ended up being taught by a Race from The Elemental Plane.

OldTrees1
2020-08-08, 01:04 PM
This is quite correct, although the Sea Elf is also in the "Touched" category.
Hmm. I don't think Sea Elf is "Touched" yet. They came from the material plane and those that still live on the material plane use the same stats as those that moved to the plane of water. But I would expect them to split into Sea Elves and Touched Sea Elves at some point.

Well it's because they aren't. In the default lore at least.
Unrelated to what?
Irrelevant side conversation due to a late night typo. I was tired and misremembered aasimar's bloodline. If you did not follow the conversation, it is safe to just skip it.

EDIT:

Oh, this is a new cosmology that the DM is creating. That would have been a good opening post.

At this point 5E has not released enough races that would really fit on Ornayes.
Genasi
Aarakocra
Triton

If I were the DM I would move one of Dwarf, Gnome, Goliath to Ornayes and refluff them as a touched race. Then I would homebrew a fire touched race.

+2 Dex, +1 Cha
Fire Resistance
Knows Create Bonfire and Fire Bolt cantrips. These use Constitution.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 01:50 PM
Oh, this is a new cosmology that the DM is creating. That would have been a good opening post.

At this point 5E has not released enough races that would really fit on Ornayes.
Genasi
Aarakocra
Triton

If I were the DM I would move one of Dwarf, Gnome, Goliath to Ornayes and refluff them as a touched race. Then I would homebrew a fire touched race.

I have recommended that He move Aarakocra Goliath and Triton to to Ornayes as they already are closely related to Air Earth and Water

C-Dude
2020-08-08, 02:04 PM

+2 Dex, +1 Cha
Fire Resistance
Knows Create Bonfire and Fire Bolt cantrips. These use Constitution.
Dragonborn maybe, reflavored as Salamanders? Or if they're too important to be the fire-touched, Lizardfolk with the same context? Hold breath could apply to smoke instead of water in the case of the latter.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 02:25 PM
Make a dragonborn subspecies specifically for each of the four elements maybe?

JackPhoenix
2020-08-08, 02:38 PM
If it's an entire plane, does it need to be playable race? Genies, samalamanders, azers, proper elementals are sounds like an option for what you need.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 03:22 PM
If it's an entire plane, does it need to be playable race? Genies, samalamanders, azers, proper elementals are sounds like an option for what you need.

True but I would assume they need to at least be sentient and friendly as they were the person who taught my character. And while they most likely do exist their I personally need one as stated before

OldTrees1
2020-08-08, 04:05 PM
True but I would assume they need to at least be sentient and friendly as they were the person who taught my character. And while they most likely do exist their I personally need one as stated before

Oh, right! Doh! It does not need to be a playable race. (Could it even not have 5E stats?) Also this opens the "Resident", aka a creature that lives on the plane but is not an elemental race.

All
Elemental (True) - A bit dumb in 5E. So probably not. Kinda like the baggermoles teaching Toph in Avatar The Last Airbender
Genie (True)
Genasi (Bloodline)
Mephits (True)

Air
Aarakocra (Touched) - Maybe you gained a fear / appreciation of heights?

Earth
Galeb Dhur (True) - Int 11. More social rock elemental
Gargoyle (True) - Int 6. Likes to stand still.
Goliaths (Associated)
Xorn (True) - Int 11.

Fire
Azer (True) - Fire Dwarf
Magmin (True) - Int 8. Likes the mischief of burning things
Salamanders (True) - Int 11. Civilized

Water
Aboleth (Resident) - Expect some residual mind control plot hook for the DM to use.
Triton (Touched)
Water Weird (True) - Int 11. Guardians in 5E. Some used to be Int 18 Cha 18 oracle women in 3E.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 04:44 PM
DM has decide Aarakocra is a beastman, Triton is water but I think he is unsure on Goliath

Millstone85
2020-08-08, 05:43 PM
Irrelevant side conversation due to a late night typo.Or accidentally relevant, since it turns out that:
My dm did put them in the elemental plane
Ornayes: The Elemental Plane: Genasi Tiefling Aasimar

Which is indeed very odd. How does the setting connect tieflings and aasimar to elemental forces?

Qendal
2020-08-08, 05:53 PM
Umm not sure how to put it. Tieflings in his lore were I quote “ tieflings are a cursed race, born from the mind of a trickster god. Seen as unnatural beasts by some.” Aasimar he didn’t explain but I assume something similar along those lines

OldTrees1
2020-08-08, 06:56 PM
Or accidentally relevant, since it turns out that:

Which is indeed very odd. How does the setting connect tieflings and aasimar to elemental forces?

Umm not sure how to put it. Tieflings in his lore were I quote “ tieflings are a cursed race, born from the mind of a trickster god. Seen as unnatural beasts by some.” Aasimar he didn’t explain but I assume something similar along those lines

Kinda sounds like the GM removed the outer planes and thus did some refluffing?

Qendal
2020-08-08, 07:58 PM

Kinda sounds like the GM removed the outer planes and thus did some refluffing?

I already stated that the campaign takes place on 3 planes as stated above

OldTrees1
2020-08-08, 08:05 PM
I already stated that the campaign takes place on 3 planes as stated above

I remember you informing us about that. I was guessing about what your GM had been thinking during the designing.

For example they could have started with the default cosmology and then deleted & merged planes to meet their needs.
Or they might have started with no planes and added the ones they wanted.
Both of these are assuming the outer planes don't exist, rather than merely not being visited during this campaign.

Qendal
2020-08-08, 08:11 PM
As far as I can tell it will only be these 3 planes. The premise is the planes are merging or something like that which is destroying them or something