PDA

View Full Version : Identifying SLAS (Domain feats) with Spell Craft

Yogibear41
2020-08-08, 01:19 AM
Complete champion states domain feats are generally SLAs with an effective caster level = to your character level.

Would another player or an npc be able to identify what you are doing with a spell craft roll? What would be the check to do so? Would they need to see you do it? or specifically be the target?

Darg
2020-08-08, 06:46 PM
As far as I know, it needs to have a visible/noticeable effect and can't be identified as it's cast.

Troacctid
2020-08-08, 07:00 PM
In order to identify a spell as it's being cast, you have to be able to perceive its verbal or somatic components. That's generally not possible with SLAs (except for invocations). However, you could identify once you've observed its effects.

Yogibear41
2020-08-09, 02:46 AM
DC 20+1/2 caster level if viewing an effect that's already in place?

Zanos
2020-08-09, 02:54 AM
As far as I know, it needs to have a visible/noticeable effect and can't be identified as it's cast.
You can bypass the visible/noticeable effect with arcane sight, which can be made permanent via permanency.

DC 20+1/2 caster level if viewing an effect that's already in place?
20+Spell Level. If the effect requires a save, you can also make a DC 25+Spell Level check if you're the target of it, even if you fail.

Other options:
Casting battlemagic perception(Cleric and Sor/Wiz 3) allows you to automatically notice all spell casts or SLA use within 100 feet, and allows spellcraft to identify them. More commonly used because it can be discharged to counterspell as an immediate action. I believe a ring of spell battle does something very similar.

Asmotherion
2020-08-09, 04:17 AM
Since SLAs don't have VSM components by default, I'd argue not unless the character in question has something like Arcane Sight or Battlemagic Perception active on them at the time.

Zaq
2020-08-09, 10:25 AM
In order to identify a spell as it's being cast, you have to be able to perceive its verbal or somatic components. That's generally not possible with SLAs (except for invocations). However, you could identify once you've observed its effects.

...and utterances.

Yogibear41
2020-08-09, 12:01 PM
You can bypass the visible/noticeable effect with arcane sight, which can be made permanent via permanency.

20+Spell Level. If the effect requires a save, you can also make a DC 25+Spell Level check if you're the target of it, even if you fail.

Other options:
Casting battlemagic perception(Cleric and Sor/Wiz 3) allows you to automatically notice all spell casts or SLA use within 100 feet, and allows spellcraft to identify them. More commonly used because it can be discharged to counterspell as an immediate action. I believe a ring of spell battle does something very similar.

There is no spell level, it just has a caster level.

Darg
2020-08-09, 04:15 PM
...and utterances.

We can all agree that we want them to exist. The reality is that those of us who have been awed by the power of truenames prior to the release of ToM just don't believe in the heretical teachings that ToM doesn't end after 190 pages.