PDA

View Full Version : Go West

Thayborne
2020-08-08, 12:37 PM
In Faerun you have the Frozen North, the Unapproachable East and the Shining South. What is or might the West be called?

Keltest
2020-08-08, 12:45 PM
I guess that depends on which part of the world you want to declare to be "the west". The Sword Coast? The Moonshaes? Further?

Brookshw
2020-08-08, 10:10 PM
I may be misremembering, but didn't Al-Qadim or Kara-Tur get incorporated on the other side of the ocean?

Saintheart
2020-08-08, 11:13 PM
I may be misremembering, but didn't Al-Qadim or Kara-Tur get incorporated on the other side of the ocean?

Al-Qadim is usually south, set in Zakhara, Kara-Tur is in the east:

https://external-content.duckduckgo.com/iu/?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.panhistoria.com%2FStacks%2FNov els%2FCharacter_Homes%2Fhomedirs%2F2100images%2Fto ril_2.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

Albeit that's a couple of world-shattering cataclysms ago.

Mechalich
2020-08-08, 11:19 PM
In Faerun you have the Frozen North, the Unapproachable East and the Shining South. What is or might the West be called?

The West is ocean. The world of FR is essentially a slightly distorted fantasy-variant Earth, with Faerun playing the part of Europe. Across the sea to its west lies lands that are functionally the Americas in a way that is so unsubtle its probably against forum rules to even talk about.

Razade
2020-08-08, 11:25 PM
Pretty sure they're making a direct reference to the 3.5 published materials of the same name. Where Halruaa and the like are in the south. They're asking if there were a source material, what would teh West of Faerun be called. Not what is in those cardinal directions.

So in relation to that we'd have

Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan. Above that is the Sword Coast which has its own supplement. Those are all fairly developed countries, and old. So I'd personally call it The Regal West.

Brookshw
2020-08-09, 06:29 AM
Al-Qadim is usually south, set in Zakhara, Kara-Tur is in the east:
Ah, thank you.

Albeit that's a couple of world-shattering cataclysms ago.
No worries, I ignored the setting post 2e so probably don't know about those changes.

Thayborne
2020-08-09, 09:08 AM
Pretty sure they're making a direct reference to the 3.5 published materials of the same name. Where Halruaa and the like are in the south. They're asking if there were a source material, what would teh West of Faerun be called. Not what is in those cardinal directions.

So in relation to that we'd have

Amn, Tethyr, and Calimshan. Above that is the Sword Coast which has its own supplement. Those are all fairly developed countries, and old. So I'd personally call it The Regal West. The North and the South are named after the weather? The East is so named because of the government? The West is considered "civilized"? I guess Regal is as good an name as any.

Thayborne
2020-08-09, 09:18 AM
I guess that depends on which part of the world you want to declare to be "the west". The Sword Coast? The Moonshaes? Further? The west part of Faerun. Some or most Americans are familiar with the statement "Go West, young man". The West is the west part of the continent of North America within the USA.

Razade
2020-08-09, 01:02 PM
The North and the South are named after the weather? The East is so named because of the government? The West is considered "civilized"? I guess Regal is as good an name as any.

Are you asking me or questioning why I chose Regal? I'm not entirely sure what this is in context to because it isn't over what I said.

The West is absolutely more civilized than a great dearth of Faerun. The North isn't particular civilized They have...what? Narfell? Not a lot of big countries in the North. The East is Unapproachable because the nations found there are old. Unther. Thay. Those sorts. Old and sluggish and corrupt compared to the west. The South is shining because it's got places like Halruaa and specifically because it covers the lands of The Golden Water which are known as The Shining Lands. That would be Var the Golden, Durpar and Estagund.

Then you look at Western Faerun. The ones I already named not to mention Waterdeep is technically Western (North Western but still). They are highly civilized countries compared to some of the lands you'll find in the South like Chult, Chesenta in the East and the Vaasa of the North. Other than the Sword Coast, you've got three large countries and Waterdeep.

A lot of old published material termed the trifecta of Amn, Calimshan and Tethyr as "The Land of Intrigue" so I guess maybe "The Scheming West" would be good too.

I guess that depends on which part of the world you want to declare to be "the west". The Sword Coast? The Moonshaes? Further?

TSR and Wizards of the Coast material consider Amn, Calimshan, Tethyr, the Moonshaes, Evermet, Lantan, Nimbral, Waterdeep and Baulder's Gate and the Sword Coast, The Western Hearthlands and the Nelanther Islands as "The West".

Thayborne
2020-08-09, 08:25 PM
Are you asking me or questioning why I chose Regal? I'm not entirely sure what this is in context to because it isn't over what I said.

The West is absolutely more civilized than a great dearth of Faerun. The North isn't particular civilized They have...what? Narfell? Not a lot of big countries in the North. The East is Unapproachable because the nations found there are old. Unther. Thay. Those sorts. Old and sluggish and corrupt compared to the west. The South is shining because it's got places like Halruaa and specifically because it covers the lands of The Golden Water which are known as The Shining Lands. That would be Var the Golden, Durpar and Estagund.

Then you look at Western Faerun. The ones I already named not to mention Waterdeep is technically Western (North Western but still). They are highly civilized countries compared to some of the lands you'll find in the South like Chult, Chesenta in the East and the Vaasa of the North. Other than the Sword Coast, you've got three large countries and Waterdeep.

A lot of old published material termed the trifecta of Amn, Calimshan and Tethyr as "The Land of Intrigue" so I guess maybe "The Scheming West" would be good too.

TSR and Wizards of the Coast material consider Amn, Calimshan, Tethyr, the Moonshaes, Evermet, Lantan, Nimbral, Waterdeep and Baulder's Gate and the Sword Coast, The Western Hearthlands and the Nelanther Islands as "The West". I was just making a statement.

Duff
2020-08-09, 08:48 PM
I suspect these statements are made from the perspective of Faerun. So the "Unapproachable East" is a mysterious area of distant lands known only by vague stories. "The West" are the countries which are better known. A little bit like an 18th Century British person might speak of "The Middle East" as a region, but "France and Spain" rather than "Southwesten Europe"

Razade
2020-08-09, 11:27 PM
I suspect these statements are made from the perspective of Faerun. So the "Unapproachable East" is a mysterious area of distant lands known only by vague stories. "The West" are the countries which are better known. A little bit like an 18th Century British person might speak of "The Middle East" as a region, but "France and Spain" rather than "Southwesten Europe"

They're clearly talking about the regional catch-names presented in Forgotten Realms content. The Shining South, The Frozen North and The Unapproachable East are all terms used in printed materials from TSR and Wizards of the Coast. He was wondering what the West had as a term, if any. Outside "The Land of Intrigue" there isn't one.

It's not even a debatable point.

The west part of Faerun.

Tanarii
2020-08-10, 12:38 AM
The Sword Coast, the Lands of Intrigue, and the Western Heartlands.

Thayborne
2020-08-10, 08:23 PM
I suspect these statements are made from the perspective of Faerun. So the "Unapproachable East" is a mysterious area of distant lands known only by vague stories. "The West" are the countries which are better known. A little bit like an 18th Century British person might speak of "The Middle East" as a region, but "France and Spain" rather than "Southwesten Europe" I thought the East is called "Unapproachable" because the countries are a controlled closed society. {Scrubbed}

Psyren
2020-08-11, 10:05 AM

This; Western Faerun got to name the other regions, so they are named in relation to the western region. Someone living in Kara-Tur wouldn't call their own land the "Unapproachable East," but the big explorers like Volo came from the West and they published first.

Luccan
2020-08-11, 10:57 PM
The "These People Keep Almost Destroying The World" West.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-12, 12:14 AM
The "These People Keep Almost Destroying The World" West.

I mean... you're not.. you're not wrong...