PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Nature Genasi Subrace

Sam113097
2020-08-09, 02:44 AM
I’m working on a homebrew Genasi subrace for the world that I’m creating. I found that the existing official Genasi sub races worked as the “chosen” of four out of the setting’s five gods, but there was no subrace that matched my setting’s nature god, the Living Wild. Does this seem balanced?

Nature Genasi are members of one of the mortal races touched by the elemental power of a primordial deity know as the Living Wild; they often have slightly animalistic features like antlers or claws, and many grow leafy, plant-like hair. In addition to the standard Genasi racial traits, they gain the following racial benefits:
Ability Score Increase: Your Charisma score increases by 1.

One With the Wild: You gain proficiency in the Nature skill.

Nature’s Wrath: You know the Primal Savagery and Druidcraft cantrips. Once you reach 3rd level, you can cast the Entangle spell once with this trait as a 1st-level spell, and you regain the ability to cast it this way when you finish a long rest. Constitution is your spellcasting ability for these spells.

JNAProductions
2020-08-09, 11:09 AM
Doesn't look OP. Doesn't look UP. Has reasonable enough flavor-nothing crazy, but it's a subrace of an existing race that all follow a similar pattern.

If a player at my table asked me to use this subrace, I'd be fine allowing it.

Sam113097
2020-08-09, 09:32 PM
Thank you! The one thing I’m unsure about is the Nature Proficiency- would Survival, Animal Handling, or a ribbon like the Wood Elf’s Mask of the Wild be better?

JNAProductions
2020-08-09, 09:35 PM
Thank you! The one thing I’m unsure about is the Nature Proficiency- would Survival, Animal Handling, or a ribbon like the Wood Elf’s Mask of the Wild be better?

Nature feels fine to me. If you want, you can offer one skill from a selection of several.

CapnWildefyr
2020-08-13, 12:09 PM
Just wondering - why genasi? Genasi are specifically elemental, not sure nature is really 'elemental' so much. Why not keep everything the same, including "the standard genasi traits", and say they are related to the Fey or something else from your world? You could take a lot of routes with the name of the race, nature's spawn, the children, children of ____, the people, the people of the ___, the blessed, etc etc. Just a thought.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-08-13, 01:10 PM
It looks fine to me. There was a 4e race called the Wilden you can probably mine for inspiration or creature art.

https://images.app.goo.gl/Bc1qRG1SwCQdwGM9A