PDA

View Full Version : Need Dungeon Ideas

Sonofaspectre
2007-10-31, 12:47 AM
IF YOU ARE PLAYING 7 of 7 LEAVE NOW, FOR YOUR BENEFIT!

Hey, all. I have a serious need. I've been searching through traps and puzzles, but I cannot find what I need.

I need a bunch of COLOR themed traps, monsters, and a build for a wizard that will be the big bad in the end.

The CR should be 8, with the Wizard around 9.

The Specifics:
- Players are sucked into a painting and have to fight their way to a crazed wizard thought dead in a dual 30 years ago. He was an artist, kind of based on Dorian Grey, but in the dual he had his hands cut off. He now has Still Spell or Sudden Still whichever is better, and has gone completely insane.

Plan for:
- Rogue 5, Dark Template
- Monk 7
- Barbarian 7
- Warlock 7
- Bard 3/Swashbuckler 4
- Druid (lots of Unearthed Arcana variants) 7
- Cleric 6, Force and Healing

Materials:
- All OGL material
- All Completes but Mage, Psionics, and Champion
- BoED
- ToM
- ToB (sparingly)

Also, I would love some cool items to go along with the theme. I'm was just planning on Ion Stones or something, but I am sure you guys can think of better stuff than that.

OH, for theme, at the very end, the Warlock, who is getting his power from the Slaad's, meets the Slaad Lord Rennbuu and is given the Blast Essence of [I forget the name] that allows him to pull all the color off him to deal extra damage and be invisible for the following turn. The spell is in PHB II, I think, and if tweaking is needed, sounds good.

McMindflayer
2007-10-31, 04:31 AM
... A Mage painter... With no hands... You should just screw with your players. Make them fight bad drawings. Make them fight big blobs of yellow because that's all you can make with no hands. Make him a horrible painter and thus the world look REALLY bad. Draw ideas from Picasso and such.

Another good idea is to make them jump through different paintings. Make one area a mountain view, then switch to a city picture. A picture of the sky will be tons of fun. They just get sucked into picture after picture until they reach him, trying to draw another picture to escape into. Trying to set more monsters and such into each.

Also, Mage hand should be this mage's FAVORITE spell. It allows him to draw and stuff. So he should have it active when the Good guys arrive.

These are all ideas, not what you are looking for huh? Sorry, I tend to get idea happy.

Anyway. On to what you asked for. First, I must ask. When you say "color themed" Do you mean they are certain colors? Or that they react to certain colors? colors determine affect.

If So, Then Prismatic spray should be your freind. Make the bad guy something like the Acolyte of the seven viels (I think that's the one that get stuff based on prismatic spray.)

Have a trap spray yellow paint on them, and then the red blob that hates the color yellow be nearby.

Grynning
2007-10-31, 04:55 AM
In one of the various Adventurer's Challenges in Dungeon (don't remember the issue, I'll post it as soon as I find it), one of the challenges involved mixing paint together to solve a puzzle. Basically you had some confusing directions to follow that laid out which colors to mix, and if you followed them you would get the right color paint, which indicated which fish in a tank was the antidote to a deadly poison or something like that. I think it's good idea if you want a break from die rolls for a while and want to watch your players fumble around trying to solve a real puzzle.

Also, for monsters, I would suggest Mephits. They're kind of color-coded as it is, and they can be really annoying in numbers. There's also the little minion of Tiamat guys from Fiendish Codex II (Don't have it on me right now, can't remember the exact name). They're not dragons per se, but they follow the same chromatic scheme.

Funkyodor
2007-10-31, 07:19 AM
Various slimes, puddings, and molds are color coded fun. Also Stained Glass Golems work well as combat quality art. I don't remember which MM they are in, but they work rather well as a surprise factor. "The window you are admiring attacks you"

Having one area without color and have everything in greyscale with Shadows and Ghosts hiding in it would be cool too.

Flesh golems are probably the easiest to Van Gogh into wierd decorated works of art with a gruesome twist.

Perspective art where things in the foreground appear to be in the background could have some surprising twists. Or rooms that appear to be square / hallways that appear to be very long but are quite the opposite. Enemies could appear very far away, but in reality be very near. Or an escape route could seem to be there, but in loony toons fashion only be a painting on the wall.

EDIT: I imagine an Evil Willy Wonka in an Evil Chocolate Factory with Evil Umpa-Lumpas inhabited by Slaads.