PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Thoughts on Automaton system for players

Bansheexero
2020-08-09, 02:47 PM
So, I had an idea for Pathfinder, though I think it could make an interesting secondary game that could be blended with it or simply work on its own. The concept was to use Exalted Alchemicals (2nd edition) as a sort of inspiration. You would look like normal races (or not if you want to use powerful attachments without worrying about appearances. Instead of developing classes and such, you would add/remove/upgrade parts. The placeholder title I have for it is "Vessels." I foresee snags in presenting base forms in which to apply the parts to. The souls would be living or possibly undead (though I would most likely wish to steer clear of wetware. I suspect I could associate materials with whatever race builds them, though wondering if I should set modifiers based on a soul's "race" or not. Associated materials would have lower DC's to integrate/upgrade, though I would most likely keep costs about the same (possibly making feats that make certain attachments cheaper, but not sure yet). A benefit would be because the parts are so modular, it grants a different form of customization and aesthetic, plus possibly having auxillary arrays that can essentially swap to gain a different suite of abilities or perhaps as a last chance emergency contingency.

Thoughts would be appreciated to see if I can get a good foothold with it. A while ago, I did have an idea for giving players a chance to play full dragons as well (they had different builds for the sake of favoring magic, combat, and others. I never quite got through the "classes" on that one though. Basically, it would have the player "grow" into the different abilities and allow them to mix and match stuff from other dragons to make something new.

lightningcat
2020-08-09, 07:22 PM
I have noticed that the d20 framework doesn't work quite right without classes. M&M does this, but they start at a higher level, and then don't advance much, which fits the superhero aesthetics. But the classic zero to hero narrative uses classes to provide niche protection for the characters. So, how much do you want to keep to Pathfinder? Because other systems might be a better choice for this idea.

Within Pathfinder, you could refluff Akashic Mysteries to be technological, and get something like your core idea.

Alternatively, you can create an overlay for the characters, something like the themes from Starfinder. Which either replace basic abilities, or simply add new abilities (which will make more powerful characters). A freind of mine used an overlay system for d20 Modern to make it a Wuxia game. Although in that case, he basically added weak psionic to the characters.

Bansheexero
2020-08-09, 08:09 PM
I have noticed that the d20 framework doesn't work quite right without classes. M&M does this, but they start at a higher level, and then don't advance much, which fits the superhero aesthetics. But the classic zero to hero narrative uses classes to provide niche protection for the characters. So, how much do you want to keep to Pathfinder? Because other systems might be a better choice for this idea.

Within Pathfinder, you could refluff Akashic Mysteries to be technological, and get something like your core idea.

Alternatively, you can create an overlay for the characters, something like the themes from Starfinder. Which either replace basic abilities, or simply add new abilities (which will make more powerful characters). A freind of mine used an overlay system for d20 Modern to make it a Wuxia game. Although in that case, he basically added weak psionic to the characters.

At one point, I had considered rendering Pathfinder in d10, with freeform advancement, but that is a monstrous task. I do like the notion of using Akashic Mysteries (or Incarnum) as a guide, though it would be a bit more complicated than that. Hmm, the Essence thing could act as a limiter. I would possibly like to keep concepts like Uncanny Dodge, Evasion, Stalwart (Mettle), and even sneak attack available. I suspect starting at half-construct would be a starting point. I also considered using Spheres a bit too (set spells can be a massive undertaking to make a decent list), as it would allow for preset Casting Traditions and areas of focus (thematically, spellcasting would fall under manipulation of probability and quantum states). Spell points could be interesting to convert to overall potency of any given attachment, but I suspect I'd have to make the pool a little bigger Investing in a combat array would give varying levels of attack bonus, while shifting some to the probability engine would allow for use of spells. The pool would not need to be super big, as I may limit the amount that can be invested by level. Trying to avoid a full fish, as I do not want to have full casting with full base attack bonus.

lightningcat
2020-08-09, 09:30 PM
The Sphere system is not one I am really familiar with, I had stepped away from Pathfinder when it started coming out. At that time I was working on my Transformers game, which also uses the Alchemicals as a basis. As for d10 Pathfinder, yeah, that could be quite a task, I say this having played in a short d10 D&D game almost 20 years ago. Although, with CoD Mirrors you have a better starting point then we did.

But it sounds like adding an overlay to standard characters might fit what you want best. Something along half casters for whatever system you use. Maybe removing some standard abilities, or limiting class choices. Although, I thought the Spheres system could be used entirely on its own, without the rest of the classes, so maybe use that with a Akashic Mysteries overlay. That should give you lots of options, and you could have the characters go hunting for physical objects that are/represent the Akashic powers before they can use them.

EDIT: the Mythic system is also an overlay system, which I somehow forgot even though one of my favorite PF characters was in a Mythic campaign.

Morphic tide
2020-08-10, 08:40 AM
Spheres of Might seems more appropriate than Spheres of Magic for hardware modification, unless you're using some variety of modular energy weaponry. There's also Garryl's homebrew Power of Cybernetics (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?board=71.0), which is a technological rebuild of Incarnum that has objects modifying other objects, which you might be able to borrow from heavily and directly, alongside the Ozodrin (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?390719-Fang-and-Pseudopod-Ozodrin-3-5-update) and Swarmlord (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?253053-The-Swarm-Arrives-3-5-Base-Class-Zerg-Tyranids) as examples of hyper-customizable creature-classes you might find a lot of mechanical inspiration in.

Bansheexero
2020-08-10, 08:58 PM
Spheres of Might seems more appropriate than Spheres of Magic for hardware modification, unless you're using some variety of modular energy weaponry. There's also Garryl's homebrew Power of Cybernetics (http://minmaxforum.com/index.php?board=71.0), which is a technological rebuild of Incarnum that has objects modifying other objects, which you might be able to borrow from heavily and directly, alongside the Ozodrin (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?390719-Fang-and-Pseudopod-Ozodrin-3-5-update) and Swarmlord (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?253053-The-Swarm-Arrives-3-5-Base-Class-Zerg-Tyranids) as examples of hyper-customizable creature-classes you might find a lot of mechanical inspiration in.

Thanks for the info, I 'll see if it serves to stir any inspiration.