PDA

View Full Version : Against the Empire and the Faith - IC 1

GrayDeath
2020-08-09, 03:00 PM
https://pixnio.com/free-images/2016/06/15/spruce-scenic-hills-summer-725x483.jpg

Hengstridge, a small Town at the Border between Kharvim and Lazhaar, the 1st Kalraion of Martharos, on one of the first Days of Summer of the year of the 7 654.

It is one of those incredibly clear-aired Days.

The Sky of the hilly region seems to be endless and empty,exactly one medium sized cloud within sight, no wind is blowing, and the Air is full of the noises of Insects swarming around, in the slowly rising tempearure of early summer the air is getting drier, as the last remains of morning dew evaporate.

Due to the fact that Hengstridge does not have a direct access to one of the major trading roads, its roads must be kept up by the Township itself, which is the reason why a squadron of 25 men and women of the local Carpenters Guild are out and about, loudly fixing parts of the Bridge across the Stream Heng, which gave the town its name, and has an unusually deep bed, given its width of not much more than 4 meters. hence why most of them are only heard, not seen, from the road.

As you come closer to said bridge, close enough that the towns highest Towers (A Temple of the 7 and a small Lunar observatory) are visible against the climbing Sun, you see 3 Soldiers regulating traffic in a way that allows only up to 2 horses or one wagon on the bridge at the same time.

There is already a rather large, wildly mixed gathering on the western side of the bridge, waiting to cross.
Half a dozen young men or old boys carrying milk cans, 2 very well built closed Wagons bearing the sign of Thretaar, a medium sized Trading house of Khavim, and a hand full of “classic” travellers, armed and equipped for solo travel.

And the, "randomly" met or not, long time “Colleagues” of Norah Capteen, Alara Castings and Meridith Gildemeere.

Having met when leaving the trade roads end in Lazhaar, you decided that it wouldn`t be any more obvious if you traveled together, given the area effectively only has one road going east. You 3 are here to meet friends and partners in Rebellion in the Town, as Kelhedros and Ptolemy have sent word that there is “work to be done” that requires more than one or 2 of the Rebellions Big names (amongst which all of the 5 can count themselves by now, actually you are quite sure that aside from a Handful of old Elves, you are among the Top 10 of your Cause already...which makes the fact that you are effectively fighting a whole Continent a bit less daunting....at times).

Be that as it may, you think you have at least 10 minutes to do some not too dangerous talk until you ill be allowed to cross the bridge. And silently watching the other travellers cant be THAT interesting now, can it?

If you want to slightly modify the where and when you got together, feel free to do so. Its merely necessary that you arrive together from the bridge onwards, so I thought some banter might help to get into character and prep the actual game :)

As for the start of this Adventure, Kelheros and Ptolemy were the most likely Characters to get the Info first, please dont feel left out. If its getting more social, or Magical, your hour will not have to wait too long. ;)

Also, even if I say it often enough, if there are questions, Suggestions, or anything else, do not hesitate to write (ideally in the OOC Thread, thats what its for^^)!
Communication is central for games like this to work.

I must know, I`ve been doing this for more than a decade ^^

Enough procrastination, lets play. :)

Meanwhile, in the Town proper:

Kelheros is sitting in a “Travellers Lodge” of the Town, waiting for his collegues and...friends to arrive.. Travellers Lodges are kind of mandatory in all Towns below a certain Size, as the fact of opposing Trading houses lodging at the same Inn has proven...problematic.
This town has 3, and Kelheros chose the middle one, due to the fact it is closest to the eastern exit of the Town...and due to the fact the owner is an Orc, and hence has (funnily, given their history BEFORE the Sorcerer Wars) the least inherent Distrust of travelling Elves that look as imposing as he does.

The maid, half orc and probably the Innkeepers daughter given how young she looks, delivers his order, a small bowl of Kharvims well loved Fish Stew and a very dry, local White wine.

His thoughts switch between scanning the Inn, 4 other Guests, all human and bearing a trading houses mark on their cuats, and his plans.
Soon his friends will be here, and as he and Ptolemy called the meeting, it is time to collect his thought s on how to best deliver the Information he has for them.

Said Wanderer therewhile should be on his way to meet Kelheros...unless he decided otherwise and sent a runner. After all, what he has to tell his long time Compatriot bears enough importance to warrant more care than even they are accustomed to.

Toliudar
2020-08-09, 09:32 PM
Meredith

Sometimes, the shortest distance between two points was NOT a flying zombie horse.

As the trio had approached the backup at the bridge, Meredith had backtracked long enough to store her horse with her other helpers. While she was at it, she adjusted her look to round out her features, removing any trace of elven blood.

Smiling at her colleagues as they took their place in line, Meredith shrugged. The rebels were normally so careful about not gathering too many of the great powers together in one place. Anything that required five of them was doubtless of paramount importance. Still, after a month of operating on her own, it was lovely to have had Norah and Alara's company.

"I've been spending too much time down in the mines. I sometimes forget the simple pleasures of sunshine on a summer's day."

redfeline
2020-08-09, 10:39 PM
[roll0] this is with out using magic items and has a -2 to make her look middle age.

Norah, went by Scarlet when in public. A habit she developed before joining the rebels as she was sure the inquisition was hunting her. She took other precautions as well, today she had temporally dyed some of her hair gray. Cleaver use of some dirt added some aging to her complexion. However the worry lines on her eyes were natural, only 21 but stress was taking its toll on her.

She leaned in close to whisper into Meredith's ear. "I am just saying, you could put the skeletons in a bag of holding." She leaned back and looked up at the sky. Speaking at a normal volume. "I swear your turning into a dwarf down in those mines. I am happy I only do business there rarely myself." She turned to Alara "Don't you think she is spending to much time down in the mines?"

Conversation had been like this for a short while now. We had two parts going on, a louder semi public conversation that could be overheard and a quieter less frequent private conversation about our work in the revolution.

Athaleon
2020-08-11, 12:55 PM
Kelhedros thanked the maid for his meal and scanned the other guests as discreetly as he could. Once he felt sure he had the measure of them, he could turn his mind towards the coming conversation. His longbow was kept in his pack, no other way to conceal it, but he had his dagger with its sinister payload beneath his cloak, and he always had his hands.

Perception: [roll0], to look for telltale signs of concealed weapons, check if they're looking at him a little too intently, passing signals discreetly, etc.

If some of the above would be Sense Motive: [roll1]

GrayDeath
2020-08-11, 02:23 PM
2 of them are throwing looks towards Kelhedros, a very slightly half elven looking young man and his red haired and very curvy human Girlfriend, he thinks.

Kelhedros is pretty sure that they are ELf Groupies (the smallest number of prejudiced people regarding Elves, usually they try to get him to speak of things he experienced before their parents were born, or simply stare and mumble stuff.

At least doesnt seem dangerous, and aside from the Barkeep, who has a machete on his right leg, noone is armed.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-11, 05:24 PM
A man covered covered in worn and dusty clothes enters the tavern, a black scarf covering most of his face. On his back are several sacks that he carries with seeming ease. Acting as if a regular customer, he immediately walks to the bar with simple strides. The curves of a smile appear just above his covering as he gently pounds the counter twice before placing a small stack of coins on it. "Happen to have a room available Barkeep? One with a window if you have it."

Outside, a small but unusually colored falcon circles the village from high in the sky, his eye trained on the Traveler's Lodge his master entered, ready to swoop in if he spied any creature with the Empire's symbol on them.

I'm having Helios Watch the building I entered. He's to return either when he spots me leaving, or if he sees any humanoid with the Empire's symbol on them approach
Swift Action Perception for Helios [roll0]

GrayDeath
2020-08-11, 05:43 PM
"Hmmm? Oh, of course, of course....." The Orc Bartender, a comfortable amount of fat covering his very muscular but aging form, rumbles in a basso voice, while scratching his shaved head.
"I`ve still got the uppermost room, windows in both east and west directions, but a bit small, or a standard room with a window westwards."

He rummages around behind the bar, fishing out a slightly dirty small book, maybe 40 pages, and puts it on the bar, opening and turning pages until he reaches an empty page.

"Here we go, and how many days, Mr....?

Well, if something comes and isnt very good at hiding, you can expect to be warned.

For now, your falcon is circling the Travellers Lodge.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-11, 06:29 PM
"Ptomely. And as long as it takes to do my job. The Empire needs their maps as accurate as possible don't you know. How does 10 gold sound? And if I stay past whatever that buys me, we can square up at the end. The small room will do nicely."

Yas392
2020-08-11, 08:23 PM
Alara has disguised herself as Marian, an image of an accomplished, cheerful and friendly healer she sold to the Rebels. Appearance-wise, she is a woman with fiery red hair to her shoulder and a clear hearty face with sea blue eyes, dressed in the linen of red and blue mix of a peasant woman. She had became a part of them for about 2 years after they "scouted" her from the streets for skillful healing. Of course, they have not put together that Marian is the same as Delphi and Alara yet. She is extra careful not to reveal those cards unless the situation needs it. She had been spending an awful amount of time going incognito for a long time by playing the long game and aiding the Rebels from the shadows. Her participation as Marian is similar to a lesser extend that she patches up the Rebels behind the scene although she is one of the personas that is more active than her two passive personas. Her journey to town marks first open appearance. She uses a mirror to check that her disguise is convincing as she basks in the sunlight along with her fellow rebels, Norah under the guise of Scarlet and Meredith as they walk towards their destination. When Scarlet asks her about her opinion about Meredith spending too much time in the mines, Marian laughs.

"I would say yes if she has forgotten the warmth and touch of the sun. That is not a bad thing. In fact, her expertise as a miner may help me fulfill my dream."

Disguise (expending a re-roll to roll twice and take better result)

[roll0]
[roll1]

Toliudar
2020-08-12, 02:41 AM
Meredith smiled at her companions. She tilted her head back, feeling the sun on her skin, and stretched.

"Well, then, I'm doubly glad of the chance to travel here with you two. And I am simply DESPERATE to find out how mining intersects with your dreams. But I am a patient, patient woman."

She glances forward at the progress of the line crossing the bridge.

"Which is, apparently, a good thing."

Everyone's doing disguise checks, and I feel left out! [roll0]

Yas392
2020-08-12, 09:34 AM
"Keep being patient and you will get your just reward. I plan on revealing my dream some day. Just not today."

Marian raises one finger with a smile as the group approaches the bridge.

"Until then, I will keep you guessing."

GrayDeath
2020-08-12, 02:52 PM
Given that, obviously, as a former team, they know what Marian truly is (if not her full name and backstory), otherwsie she would not be here, this is the usual "lets see what I can weedle out" game between the 2 women.

Because once you ahve been in a true pickle together, against the Empire or a crashing Mine shaft, you dont care if your magically powerful friend is undead, or wants to keep her true name secret, you know you can rely on them.

And so, while the team reaquaints itself, the cicadas start chirping, and the poeple are slowle let across the bridge, a few minutes go by.

OOC:Ah, Disguses, aside from Scarlet you all are well disguised. She simply looks overworked and a bit dirty. ^^

I, as I wrote in the rules, make your perception checks unless you say you are specifically scouting for something.
So I have made them here.

And while only 2 locals are left before the trio, meredith hears something from stream-upwards.

As she looks, she sees a trio of Horses come down beside the Stream, pretty quickly, so they should be arriving within a few minutes.

One of them flies the Banner of Duke Lerkoss, the closest Dukedoms ruler, and all seem well armed and armored.

GrayDeath
2020-08-12, 03:19 PM
Sorry, forgot to answer Ptolemy. Double post to avoid it being overlooked ^^

"Hmmm, well, 10 Gold buys you 3 nights with food, if you dont need a stable. Sign your name here, please."
He pushes the booklet5 towards Ptolemy on the bar, to let him sign.

"So, will it be the roof room? I need to send the maid up with the water and the Bedsheets?"

While he waits for the answer, he is already waving for the second maid to come, to send her up once they have exchanged a few words. Turning, the maid shows to be of seemingly human heritage, if almost as curvy as the Half Orc maid, and brownhaired.

redfeline
2020-08-12, 08:15 PM
Norah spots Helios off in the distance, a little disappointed that Dusk is following from a distance, largely doing its own thing. If Norah could she would single the falcon to join its air borne brother. Turning down the road she spots the oncoming horses. "We should move out of their way." She did not need to say that they should discreetly watch them and remember all we can. She also readies herself in case their cover for the mission had already been blown.

Toliudar
2020-08-12, 08:38 PM
Meredith watches the riders approach. Well, that gives some clue as to why they were here. She nods silently in response to Norah's excellent suggestion, and steps well clear of the road.

As the riders approach, Meredith watches to see if any of the riders are actually the Duke himself, and then focuses on the faces of the riders. It may be useful to be able to impersonate one of them in the future.

Knowledge Nobility to spot the duke, if present: [roll0]

Athaleon
2020-08-13, 02:07 AM
Kelhedros waited as Ptolemy's room was prepared, and as he pretended to savor his wine, he listened for footsteps upstairs to indicate where in the building that room was located. Once Ptolemy was upstairs, he'd take his leave of the building and make use of his talents to get into that room undetected.

The point is to get into the room and meet with Ptolemy without being seen to have been associated. The plan is:
- Determine the location of the room: [roll0] Perception
- Pay for his meal, bid the innkeeper good day, and leave the building
- Get to somewhere near the building that passerby won't see him, and hide: [roll1] Stealth
- Use Enter The Vortex Stance to gain a Fly speed and Blend With the Night boost to go invisible for one round
- Fly to the wall or roof of Ptolemy's room and use Ghostwalk boost to pass through into the room (or just go through a window if possible)

If any step of the above is unfeasible he'll have to try something else.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-13, 04:21 AM
Ptomely eyes the maid in the corner of his eye as he signs the book. "The Roof Room will he perfect yes. No need to bother yourself with water and bedsheets. I don't tend to sleep much." He turns slightly towards the approaching woman, still addressing the Innkeeper though speaking slightly louder to let her hear as well. "Though if you wish to send her up later tonight, I'm sure she can help me find a use for those sheets. Ptomley chuckles a bit, shaking his head at his silly attempt at flirting.

Once he has finished up with the owner, the half elf man walks towards his room, purposefully going through the tables to reach the stairs. As he strides past the elf enjoying his meal, his whispers under his breath. "Okno bude otevřeno do třiceti minut."

Once he has found his room, Ptomely locks his door behind him. He inspects his room, detecting for magic on the off chance someone is listening in. Once he feels secure, he opens the western window then sits under the eastern one, waiting.

The Window will be open in thirty minutes

Using Feysighted to cast Detect Magic on the room as many times as I need to cover the entire thing.
Perception Check to make sure there isnt anything hidden [roll0]

GrayDeath
2020-08-13, 11:12 AM
Stepping aside, the 2 watch the oncoming horses, more or less stealthily (as just about everyone watches the horses looking like NOT watching them would be more obvious) slow down, and the Soldiers on the Bridge readying their Spears, while one steps in front of the others (and aims to be between the Horses and the poeple aiming to cross).

Meriditch recognizes the Dukes older Brother being the leftmost rider, due to his known magical Talent he was barred from becoming Duke himself, but if the rumors are correct he is an Alumni of Inghards Mage Academy, the Inghard Institute or Spire, and not to be trifled with. He is waring expensive looking Cloth Armor, a weapon Belt with a sword and a dagger, and holding a magical looking short spear.
The banner bearer and the other Rider are equipped with standard Chain mail, Shields on their saddles, and swords and short spears in the Saddle holders, but so far are not readying THEIR weapons.

The SOldier starts to speak"Halt, you are no...:" just to be interrupted by the Dukes brother.

"Silence, cretin. and listen. Travel over this bridge is from now on under our Dukedoms control. Every traveller will leave their personal data and pay 1/2 tithe of their money or 10 gold, whichever is less, to cross and be allowed to do their business in this area, or will have to leave. If you resist....well..." his hand plays with the spear, and magical Energy crisscrosses over its length, looking like a Lightning Bolt ready to be thrown.

He seems to be expecting total obedience....

OK, Just ignore any references to the Oracle, shes not here.

Also, the above is assuming you do something to interact before being "taxed", if you dont want to do anything and silently pay, to keep low profile, open the second spoiler. :)

The Soldiers have no obvious way of preventing the Mage commanding them to leave and so they obey, but one of them leaves his shield and spear and starts running for the Town, qwhile the others will accompany any travellers, to at elast finish their job regarding them.

The Dukes Brother, who has a rather unremarkable face with a reeeding hairline and a middle lenght goatie in dirty blonde, focusses both with intense seagreen eyes, demands 10 gold, and then lets them go on.

OOC: Sense Motive resuts: Scarlet is almost sure the guy knows they are more than they appear, but is unsure in what way.

Kelheros and Ptolemy play their by now old and well trained game of "Not interacting with each other" and plan out their meeting.
WHile the Maid and her Boss seem "not interested" for now.

Ptolemy therewhile has time to check the room, and finds a slightly dusty but very well built bed, a small talbe with an (empty) wash Basin, a small chest, and 2 windows. And the room is indeed small, no more than 4 square meters in total, but given the town is mostly lower buolt houses leaves a good view of the surroundings. And nothing magical at all.

So he could spot Kelhedros arriving...if his friend wasnt invisible....

Toliudar
2020-08-13, 05:15 PM
Meredith

Under guise at being alarmed by all the threatening and show of force being shown, Meredith clutches at Norah in order to be able to whisper with her with an assurance of privacy.

"The blowhard is the Duke's brother, an actual trained wizard whose power may actually be as big as his mouth. Now, ten gold is a lot to cross a river, and we might not draw too much attention if we join a group backing away from this. We can find our own way across the river elsewhere as needed. But we might learn something by playing along, and I've got the coins to get us across if need be. What would you like to do?"

redfeline
2020-08-13, 09:48 PM
She eyes the duke hearing the new tithes and immediately thinks about how to cross the river and what it entails.

" If we backtrack we will need to communicate. I don't suppose you have a sending spell?" She quietly asks. "To explain our delay and maybe ask not to meet in town." If not she could send an animal messenger. This was not a good turn of events.

Toliudar
2020-08-14, 12:08 AM
Meredith murmurs back to Norah as they make their way forward to pay the usurious toll.

"I believe you're over-thinking this. The town only about a mile or so away. Once we're past the bridge, we should just stay on the road and walk in. That way, we also are there to see any response that emerges from Hengstridge to this provocation. I can't send - at least not in the way you're suggesting - but by the time that spell was finished, we'd be at Hengstridge anyway."

She squeezed Norah's hand and strode forward.

"C'mon. It'll be fun."

Athaleon
2020-08-14, 02:26 AM
Kelhedros turned visible and landed softly in the upstairs room after his dramatic entrance, and silently slipped into a seat well away from either window or door.

"We've got to stop meeting like this," he said in a near-whisper that didn't hide the deadpan humor in the cliched line. "And asking the innkeeper outright to send the barmaid up for the evening? You dog, you." His joking tone still came through in his mock chiding, but switched to dead seriousness in a barely-perceptible moment. "What have you got for us?"

Switch to Blend With The Night stance for maximum sneakiness while we meet:
Stealth: [roll0]

Keeping an ear out for visitors:
Perception: [roll1]

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-14, 04:25 AM
Ptomely's eyes flash as Kelhedros suddenly appears in the room. It's always astounding watching someone appear from no where, but the two of them have done this a number of times already. He smirks softly behind his scarf before responding. "You're one to talk. I saw that couple checking you out. I'm sure if you really wanted to, you could bed them both at once." Ptomely chuckles a little bit before his face gets serious.

The half elf approaches the full elf until they're right next to each other. Wanting to be completely safe, he switches his tongue to Aklo, the language they choose for stealth. "Něco velkého. Něco, co by Impériu nejen udělalo ránu, ale mohlo by nám také dát šanci na boj proti nim." Ptomely perks his ears, taking a second to make sure no one else is listening, then leans in, cupping the elf's ear so he can hear this clearly. "Vím, kde jsou ..... Čarodějovští potomci"

Something Big. Something that not only would deal a blow against the Empire, but could also give us a fighting chance against them

I know where they are.......the Sorcerer Descendants

Perception roll to also listen for anyone approaching. [roll0]

redfeline
2020-08-14, 01:56 PM
Before Norah can clarify that she was planing to backtrack she is pulled forward by Meredith. The pair pays 10 gold each, and quietly walks past him. They quickly make their way to town and en route. She tells Meredith. "He didn't look at my like I was a commoner. I think I roused his suspicion. We will need to be extra careful now. " She laughs to herself. "Between the four of us, I feel we can handle anything. So the question becomes what is so dangerous as to need four master hunters such as ourselves?"

She looks at Helios in the distance. "Tell me do you know both Ptomely and Kelhedros? I see Ptomely's falcon up ahead. I imagine my own falcon, Dusk, will be happy to see his friend. While listening to her response. She guides the pair to the correct inn, the one Helios circles the most. "I figure we get a room, and simply walk to their room."

GrayDeath
2020-08-14, 02:07 PM
As Norah and Meridith calmly walk towards the Town, they see some soldiers already assembling and shortly thereafter leaving the Town in the Direction of the problem, thereby passing the 2 of them and 4 more who have payed the Way, rather closely.

Both can easily say that the Soldiuers, while well equipped and disciplined, ar just that, lowly Soldiers. They wont be able to stop the Dukes brother, so likely the town either only wants to save some face, showing that they do something at least, or simply dont have better reinforcements at hand.

2 of the other 4, going by their clothing rather wealöthy traders, move towards a large and gaudy looking house almost as soon as they reach the town, the other 2, and their cart carrying Milk, continue on towards the central area of the town, almost direwctly towards where a certain Falcon is circling.

Neither of you hears or spots anything amiss.

So you can enjoy discussing Bombshells.

redfeline
2020-08-14, 04:20 PM
edit:

"Seems to be an expensive milk delivery, a half tithe between the two of them. Possibly another tithe on the way back."

Athaleon
2020-08-15, 12:49 AM
"Neuvěřitelný. Pokud je to pravda." Kelhedros whispered. "Jak jste si jistá? A co víte o jejich dispozici?"

Incredible. If it's true. How certain are you? And what do you know of their disposition?

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-15, 05:34 AM
"Kdybych si nebyl jistý, nic bych neřekl, dokud jsem nebyl." Ptomely's eyes stare straight at Kelhedros. "Jejich dispozice? Vděčný, jakmile je zachráníme před krevními experimenty, Říše na nich vede. I have a Mapmaker friend in town who is looking for a party to help guard while he makes a map of the nearby wilderness. I will be offering our services, unless you have a reason not to?"

If I was not certain, I would not have said anything until I was.

Their disposition? Grateful, once we rescue them from the blood experiments the Empire is conducting on them.

Athaleon
2020-08-16, 01:35 AM
"Experimenty. Strašidelné, ale pak bych jim nic nedal. A předpokládám, že jsou zamčeni pevněji než jakýkoli trezor v Říši, což mě zajímá, proč jsou tady."

"Experiments. Abhorrent, but then I wouldn't put anything past them. And I assume they're locked up tighter than any vault in the Empire, which makes me wonder why they're out here."

"Who's this friend of yours? Does he know about our thing?

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-16, 05:40 AM
"Yes and no. He doesn't mind helping occasionally and he does good work. Nakonec však nebude proti Říši. Nezradí nás, pokud nebude ohrožen, takže čím méně toho ví, tím lépe. His name is Mark Loram."

But he ultimately won't oppose the Empire. He won't betray us unless threatened, so the less he knows, the better.

Toliudar
2020-08-16, 10:58 PM
Meredith mulls over options as they drop back a bit from the others who have crossed the bridge,

"It does indeed seem to be a lot of to-do for not very much, but if the town has just spent heavily to repair the bridge, they'll be eager to reclaim it. Perhaps there's a wedge that we can help drive home. If a blade were to appear between the shoulder blade of a certain wizard, for instance."

As for them paying attention to you...well, if our assignment here doesn't require the services of my domo, you would be more than welcome her magical disguise. Them knowing that a pair of noteworthy women have just arrived is not the same as knowing who we are."

redfeline
2020-08-17, 09:58 AM
"We can't simply murder every official of the empire. At that point, we'd be no better than the inquisition. No we need overwhelming force at a select few places to knock over this house of cards. At that point corrupt officials will cling together dragging each other to the abyss." That said, she couldn't help but picture the dukes brother mauled by a bear. Traveling across the bridge may of been a mistake, but little could be done now.

She watches the guards returning in numbers back to the bridge. This mage has let his "nobility" and power go to his head. Would I have turned out like that, had more parents not been murdered before my eyes. Could I ever be so callous, is he simply the victim of fate? No, I will not claim my life is controlled by some unseen force. I am here because I have decided to fight the rot of the empire, he is there waiting to be murdered because he has embraced the rot and fester the suffering of the common folk.

GrayDeath
2020-08-17, 03:40 PM
Said Soldiers arrive at full Squad Strength (which in the 7 Realms is 8, 7 ranmk and file and one Seargent or corporal), and all with their Spears and Shields in Hand.

The Banner Bearer has by now somehow managed to let the banner of the Dukedom fly extra impüressively in the WInd (Meridith thinks that could be an Orison or similar), and the mage starts talking again.

As I am assuming you have continued towards the town, otherwise you 2 staying there would have caused a reaction, I rolled on what you heard. Sadly I rolled well ^^

Through a lucky break, wind going from the confrontation straight towards the 2 and the rest of the area being surprisingly quiet they hear "The Romkarov-Contract has expired 2 days ago. The only thing keeping your Town free is tradition, and inc ase you didnt know, we Nobles decide which Traditions to follow. Get this to your mayor, while he still is your Mayor: You ahve 3 days to petition the Dukedom for membership, if you dont, we will ... have to be more asgressive. Until then, we will continue taxing this Bridge. But as a sign that we, and not you, are actually worthy of ruling and taxing this area...." His horsle slowly canters towards the Bridge, he gesturs, and under some yellowish side effects, the Brigdge is suddenly as new....

You both recognize the Spell as Make Whole. Given the Size of the Bridge one can assume that the Dukes Brother has a Caster Level of at least 7, given the damaged areas size and the Spells effects.

Toliudar
2020-08-17, 06:41 PM
Meredith works very hard not to be seen to be watching, but she can't help but nod in appreciation of the craft involved in repairing the bridge so seamlessly.

"Clever," she murmurs.

Norah's desire to avoid wholesale bloodshed was one of the things Meredith liked most about her. It made her wonder what else she had lost when she gave up a living body. Ah well. No use crying over congealed blood. Meredith waited until she was sure that there was no more to be heard on the wind, then turned to Norah.

"Sometimes, the best way to take down a house of cards is by yanking at every mid-level card you can. This screams 'opportunity' to me. If we can get the town up in open rebellion against these tactics, we set parts of the Empire against each other, and they do our job for us."

Inside the town, Meredith is content to follow Norah's lead - the human woman had always had a much better sense of direction.

Athaleon
2020-08-18, 01:47 AM
"Vyhrožují mu, ohrožují jeho rodinu, ať už to bude trvat cokoli. Nemělo by tu být nic, takže pokud zjistí, že jsme se hrabali kolem, zabouchnou okno. Měl bych přijít s dobrým přestrojením a osobností a měl bys předstírat, že mě neznáš."

"They'll threaten him, they'll threaten his family, whatever it takes. There's not supposed to be anything out here, so if they so much as find out that we were poking around, they'll slam the window shut. I should come up with a good disguise and persona, and you should pretend not to know me."

"I've got someone in mind myself: Spirited young man named Corrin, half-elf, takes after his elf side. Crack shot with a bow, and not bad with a sword either. Did a stint in the army, but it wasn't for him. Now he's looking for freelance work, strictly clean. This should be right up his alley. What do you think?"

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-18, 11:40 AM
"Udělejte, co si myslíte, že je nejlepší. Pokud vše půjde podle plánu, nebudou vědět, co se stane, až o několik měsíců později. " Ptomely nods his head then slowly stands. "Go grab him then and have him waiting nearby. I expect the girls to arrive soon. Barring anything unforeseen happening, I'd like to get to work on this map as soon as possible."

Ptomely turns away from his cohort, going into his sacks to pull out several stacks of his paper and a couple of his pens. He wouldn't be surprised if Kelhedros has already taken his leave when he turns back.

Sooner than he expects, he hears a knock on the door, the brisk but playful tone of another ally almost ringing in his ears. "Care to let in some traveling women?" Ptomely grab his sword cane, still in its hilt, and cautiously approaches the door. "What sort of man would deny the company of beautiful women? Please, come in. Sprechen Sie den Namen meines Freundes und geben Sie ein."

Do what you think is best. If all goes according to plan, they won't know what happens until months later.

Speak my friend's name, then enter

Toliudar
2020-08-18, 03:06 PM
Meredith

Meredith smiles and calls back through the door:

"Freund? Hat dieser pompöse Idiot ein Schwert an deine Kehle gehalten, damit du ihn einen Freund nennst?"

"Friend? Did that pompous git hold a sword to your throat to get you to call him a friend?"

Waiting on the other side of the door are two women who are most definitely not Norah and Meredith*, but smile as if they were. The short woman glides in past, offering Ptolemy a quick, cool kiss on the cheek as she enters. In deference to Khelhedras, she switches to the elven tongue.

"Abbiamo una notizia entusiasmante."

""We have exciting news!"

This is going on the assumption that Norah let Meredith lend her a hat of disguise. If so, Redfeline can pick a look at any point.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-19, 06:17 PM
"Ah, your words wound me madam. Or at least they would if I didn't know your chest was hollow." Ptomely playfully teases, a big grin hidden under his scarf. His cheeks burn bright red when Meredith gives him a polite and chilly kiss. Stepping aside to make room for the two traveling ladies in the tight quarters, Ptomely's ears perk up when he hears Meredith's elvish tone. "Exciting news? What fun! Please share."

Toliudar
2020-08-19, 06:48 PM
Meredith also goes to offer Kelhedros a brief but fond embrace, and then walks around a bit. She looks around the room, perhaps noticing something that the others hadn't. Stepping into a corner, she unfolds a fabric pouch on the floor, which becomes a hole in the floor.

"Domo, come!"

Reaching down into the hole, she lifts up a tall slender humanoid skeleton, with exaggerated nails and dressed in a servant's livery. Meredith pulls out a broom and cloth and hands them to to the skeleton.

"Clean this room."

Folding up the pouch and tucking it back into her armour again, Meredith settles on the edge of the bed and lets the skeleton get to work. Her voice is soft but chipper.

"Hai passato il ponte [a ovest] della cittŕ che č in costruzione? "Bene, un gruppo di teppisti del Duca Lerkoss si č impossessato di lui. Anche suo fratello č lě. Hanno aggiustato il ponte con la magia e hanno chiesto tassi assurdi per attraversare Quando una truppa di, ehm, truppe si presentň dalla cittŕ per lamentarsi, il fastidioso disse loro che avrebbero annesso la cittŕ in seguito."

Did you pass the bridge [west] of town that's under construction?" Well, a bunch of Duke Lerkoss' thugs took possession. His a**hat brother is even there. They fixed the bridge with magic, and demanded absurd rates to cross. When a troop of, er, troops showed up from the town to complain, the bother told them that they were annexing the town next.

She sighed.

"Purtroppo, Scarlet non mi ha permesso di ucciderlo e cercare di iniziare una guerra interna. Qualcosa sull'essere migliori di loro o qualcosa del genere."

Sadly, Scarlet wouldn't let me kill him and try to start an internal war. Something about being better than them or something.

She winked over at Scarlet with genuine fondness.

Athaleon
2020-08-19, 09:01 PM
Kelhedros returned the embrace. Brief as it was, he still couldn't quite hide how hastily he pulled back from it. In just another instant, he regained his composure and was back to greeting the newcomers as old friends.

"Scommetto che le nostre notizie sono ancora piů eccitanti."

"I'll bet you our news is even more exciting."

In response to the news about the bridge, he let out a small sigh.

"The Empire is abusing its power. What else is new?"

Toliudar
2020-08-19, 10:01 PM
Meredith either didn't notice Kelhedros moment of aversion, or else was so used to it that it no longer affected her. She leaned forward at his words, however, smiling broadly.

"L'impero che abusa del potere č una cosa. Si tratta di lotte intestine tra le potenze dell'impero. Qualcosa che, forse, possiamo usare.

Ma questo puň aspettare. Voglio le tue notizie! Voglio le tue notizie!"

The empire abusing power is one thing. This is infighting among the powers of the empire. Something that, perhaps, we can use.

But that can wait. I want your news! I want your news!

Meredith clapped her hands in delighted anticipation. Domo lifted the bed with one hand in order to sweep underneath.

Athaleon
2020-08-19, 11:40 PM
"You found it, Ptolemy. Do you want the pleasure of telling them?"

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-20, 12:00 PM
Ptomely brings his finger to his mouth in contemplation as he hears of Scarlet and Meredith's brief encounter. You can almost see the wheels turning in his head as he thinks on this. When Kelhedros speaks to him, Ptomely jumps a little bit, his mind snapping back to reality. "Hmm? Ah, yes. If it is alright, I'd prefer to not talk of it again until we are safely out of town and on our way. Dirň questo. Anche il minimo successo in questa impresa dovrebbe aiutare a sbilanciare la sede del potere che detengono i nostri nemici.".

I will say this. Even the slightest bit of success in this venture should help unbalance the seat of power our enemies hold.

Ptomely's eyes suddenly focus as he realizes.....there is a large skeleton picking up his bed to sweep under it. "Από τους επτά θεούς, το παρακαλώ! Απαλά! Meredith my dear thank you for the consideration, but I would have cleaned it myself and be a lot less conspicuous!"

By the seven Gods, put that down please! Gently!

Toliudar
2020-08-20, 01:35 PM
Meredith shrugs at Ptolemy's concern, but speaks with a soft but steely tone.

"Domo, put it down gently. Stop cleaning and hand me the broom and cloth."

She shrugs, accepting Ptolemy's desire for extra precautions at face value.

"
Mie scuse. Pensavo che se ci fossimo incontrati qui, saremmo rimasti per un po '. Puoi almeno dirci la nostra prossima destinazione, allora, o quando vorrai partire. Non ... mi stanco davvero, ma Scarlet č stata la sua solita sé energica."

My apologies. I thought that if we were meeting here, we'd be staying for a bit. Can you at least tell us our next destination, then, or when you'll want to leave? I don't...really get tired, but Scarlet has been a her usual energetic self.

Receiving the cleaning implements back from Domo, Meredith quickly stows the skeleton back in her pouch and is ready to go.

redfeline
2020-08-21, 09:38 PM
"Energetic, yeah that is me." It bugged her slightly to have a skeleton cleaning a random room at an inn. "I don't think we have the easy option of just leaving tomorrow, that would catch more attention. For the time being Meredith and I are committed to sleeping one night down stairs. So if we can disrupt the occupation of the city tonight we can. However we would need to do it quietly. I am a little disappointed you won't tell us why we are here. I doubt the four of us are ever willing allowed in one room at one time, to be gathered here. Our patrons must be planing something, and I assume it is more important than some petty noble. As is I don't like how that magic user looked at me, I feel he has some wild ideas and would prefer to leave town before he causes problems, or can set problems to our faces. "

She sighs "If you truly wish not to speak our mission, perhaps I can disguise as a guard and intimidating him into leaving now."

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-22, 08:31 PM
"My dear Scarlet, the only reason I don't speak of it now is because of its grave importance. Our Destination is approximately one hundred and twenty miles away in the wilderness. Once we are well and away from here, I will share all that I know. We'll need to secure a cover, of which I already have a decent one in mind that should explain any magic we may cast. In the meantime, I would recommend against trying to scare the Duke's brother away. Brannagh Lerkoss is a graduate and Alumni of the magic schools, he will not scare easy, nor will he be easy to bring down without causing a scene. If the only thing they're after is Gold and bragging rights to owning the most mysteriously peaceful village in the kingdom, I say let them have their fun. The real prize will be ours."

Toliudar
2020-08-22, 09:16 PM
Meredith shrugged and continued in Elven.

"Right now, everyone in town is either going to be focused on dealing with Branagh and his thugs, or they ARE Branagh and his thugs and they're focused on taking over the town. Even if someone miraculously does give two rat's a**es about two gorgeous women not spending a night in the room they paid for, they're looking for women who aren't us.

"I say we have a lovely supper - well, you have a lovely supper, change our look and head out of town in the dusk. The walls are no obstacle. I can have us...wherever we're going by dawn."

redfeline
2020-08-23, 10:49 AM
well it sounds to me we have nothing to debate. Let us be on our way and soon. If the destinationis no where near here, I dont mind burning my ability to be here for some time.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-24, 07:24 PM
Ptomely's straightens himself up, a little happy that everyone is eager to get going. "I'm all set on supper, but feel free to charge anything you want to my room. If one of you wouldn't mind accompanying me, I'm going to go see a compatriot of mine who I'm sure wouldn't mind some help mapping the surrounding wilderness. he should make a great cover for us all."

Once everyone has agreed when to reconvene, Ptomely heads out with his ally into the town. The relatively quiet streets are easy to navigate as he makes his way toward the home and shop of Mark Loram, the town's old Mapmaker.

Athaleon
2020-08-24, 10:52 PM
"I should stay here, what with all the goings-on in town. I'll admit I haven't been as careful as I should have; it wasn't prudent to enter town undisguised in the first place."

GrayDeath
2020-08-25, 02:33 PM
Ptolemy finds the streets to be more travelled than would be expected on an afternoon in Summer, meaning both soldiers and various traders are moving to and fro.

Directly outside 2 young men are haggling with the Lodges owner over 8 large cans of Milk, given that they had to pay 5% of their money, meaning they intend to increase the cost of the Milk by that much.
It does not seem to be going their way, as the old Orc shows both resilience and good haggling skills.

Further out a unit of 8 Soldiers is heading for the only Watchtower between Town and Bridge that is outside the Walls, pulling a small Ballista intend to fortify, Ptolemy is sure.

Almost at his goal, he sees his contact arguing with a well clad, middle aged man who is accompanied by 2 Soldiers.

Even without trying to stealthily hear what is said, his Contact seems more than a little bit angry.

".....the point. I am a mapmaker. If I have to pay tithes to a Lord that I have no reason to be a subordinate off every time I or my apprentice leave town, my business is as good as dead. So how about you do what a Mayor is supposed to do, and get the Empire to intervene?"

The thereby identified MAyor shakes his head, seeming almost disgusted.

"And what am I supposed to do? The best we can expect is to hold out long enough to get some concessions. We cannot fight a Duke. So I am telling you the same I told the other wealthier Residents. Expect my men to come again tomorrow."

Turning around, he spots Ptolemy going for the mapmakers house, and seemingly ignores him almost totally.

redfeline
2020-08-25, 09:03 PM
Scarlet takes in the scene briefly and decides to make a quick play while she can."Ptomely, this sounds so different from what the girls we passed in town where saying... You remember how they were saying they would rather pay a tithe once or twice to keep their independence. How they would use that money so the mayor could hire an oathwarden to renew the contract as best they can... Go ahead tell them. She pauses long enough for Ptomely to open his mouth and cuts him off. Of coarse, I would contact all our trade partners. I doubt they want to pay extra tithes on needed goods, and they say Duke Lerkoss is all about taxes and tithes. Cheaper to hire our own oathwarden than it is to pay Lerkoss, or so I hear... but I got no head for this stuff. I just hear what other people say. She paused and looked at the mayor and our contact, trusting that the seeds of doubt have been sown. "Oh sorry, did I say too much again? Well not really what I was saying it is what people in the town square were saying."

She steps over to Ptomely, and meekly takes his hand. Remaining quiet and trying to look away like she had forgotten herself. "You should of told them."

[roll0] diplomacy [roll1] bluff if needed to convince the mayor, this is something I herd a few people entering town say.
[roll2] knowledge nobility for neighboring trade cities.

Athaleon
2020-08-26, 10:37 PM
"What do you make of all this? Given the importance of what we're about to do, I would rather we give this town the slip."

Toliudar
2020-08-27, 02:10 AM
I'm going with the assumption that Scarlet and Ptolemy have left, and Khelhedras and Meredith are back in the room.

Meredith lays back on the bed and practices switching among personas.

"Well, I've already suggested that we head out tonight. And since you and Ptolemy have made it clear that this isn't the time or place for whatever it is you've found out. Or instigated. Which I am now, respectfully, not asking more about."

She briefly experiments with turning into a male dwarf, but her heart isn't in it, and she switches to an elderly woman.

"So, in the meantime.. You know that new wall that they're building around Mistraton? Won't survive the winter. Delvers are hell on foundations. And what've you been up to the last few months?"

Athaleon
2020-08-30, 01:28 AM
"Honestly, not much worth mentioning—keeping the proverbial ear to the ground, listening for opportunities and looking for like-minded individuals to bring on board. Finding new blood's getting harder—people are already starting to forget. But the way things are suddenly going in this town, it might turn out to be a good place to recruit after all."

ChaoticHarmony
2020-08-30, 07:04 AM
Ptomely pauses awkwardly as he stares at the two men, Scarlet hiding behind his back. The gears grind in his head as he tries to think of what to say. Raising his other hand up to his mouth, he quickly clears his throat. "W-While that may be true my dear, there isn't a Oathwarden any where close that would redraft the contract in time." Watching the faces of the two men, he waits for acknowledgment, if any, before continuing. "The best bet at the moment may be to simply call a town meeting and hear everyone's thoughts and concerns. Anyway, I was hoping to speak with you, Mark. But I can return later if now is not a good time."

Toliudar
2020-08-30, 08:36 PM
"Good thinking. The more that the Empire tightens its grip, the more free towns will slip through their fingers.

"That's the theory, right? I'm more inclined to poke holes in those fingers, but I can certainly see the synergy."

Meredith slid up to a sitting position.

"But if I can help in any way with the recruiting drive, let me know."

GrayDeath
2020-08-31, 01:53 PM
The (probably) Mayor looks at Scarlet quite askance, not seeming less surprised when she then grasps Ptoelmy`s hand and kind of hides.

"Ahem, well, there will be a Town Council meeting in the morrow, as I was about to say when you interrupted us. but so far it does not seem to be looking good....hence why I must be going. See you tomorrow, mark."
And with that, he and his Bodyguards leave without another word.

Mark on the other Hand seems ...interested in Ptolemy and Scarlet.
"So, you need to talk to me. That does not by pure coincidence include the chance to earn enough Money to bribe an Oathwarden, or someone willing to punch the Duke in the Face?"

His tone says he is trying his best to seem unaffected, but his eyes and pose tell another story. Mark is tense, almost to snapping.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-09-01, 05:48 PM
Ptomely silently swears to himself. He did not want to waste time dealing with Nobility, not when there was greater prize just around the bend. But the desperate look on the mayor's face as he left, the hushed voices of the people as they made their way there, and the deep seated anger in his friend's eyes all tell him that something has to be done. "Money does no good if the thing you want to buy is unavailable. Beyond that I can make no promises......though maybe we can discuss it inside? He's already dreading the conversation with Kelhedros and Meredith after he had so firmly stated his resolve, but Ptomely simply isn't ready to risk his public identity yet, he needs this cover story to keep face, at least until things go as planned.

Athaleon
2020-09-02, 12:58 AM
"A lot of people just don't care: as I said, they're starting to forget, or are too young to have ever known. In cases like this, the Empire itself comes in to remind people what they're truly like. In any case, I think recruiting will have to wait. Aside from anything else, there's no time to properly vet any strangers who want to come aboard."

Toliudar
2020-09-02, 03:12 AM
Meredith leans forward. She was rarely involved in bringing in new recruits for the rebels. Well. Living recruits.

"Interesting. What do we do to 'vet' people? Did you vet me after we met? Maybe I can learn how to vet. Am I using that word correctly?"

GrayDeath
2020-09-02, 10:28 AM
"But of course, come on in." Saying so, Ptolemys Contact turns and opens the door, letting the 2 Rebels into his Sales Room, where he usually displays maps and/or leads talks with people he wishes to hire or that wish to hire him.

The room is semicirular, and contains 2 medium sized (3*1.5m) map tables, a door, 3 chairs and a wallmounted "Expeditions" Map.

Closing the door behind his visitors, he harrumphs. "Thank you for considering to help. I know I am usually the one arguing against angering the Empire, but if this Duke simply takes over, there are no limits but the basic laws restricting his abuses. That will mean the end or debt for almost any business in town, but most quickly for mine, the MIlk Collective and the Woodcutters, as we would have to travel twice per contract, at the least." He seems careful not to speak too loud, and is obviously waiting for suggestions from people with more power than himself...

ChaoticHarmony
2020-09-02, 11:04 AM
"Understandable. Unfortunately, the problem is less about what to do and more about the attention any response would draw. I can think of only two responses that would leave the town in at least a somewhat reasonable position, neither of them are particularly good." Ptomely walks to one of the chairs and takes a seat, sure that Scarlet and Mark will do the same.

"The first is by far the easiest. Petition to join the Empire as the brother Lerkoss demanded, but request it of Baron Ghran. Despite his loyalty to the Empire, he is a man of honor who finds abuse of power and position completely distasteful. At the very least, it will force the Duke to delay his siege.

The second option is a lot more risky. As I'm sure you're aware Mark, this town is quite an oddity. In travel, one normally hears all sorts of rumors or bits of knowledge about villages and cities, but I've heard nothing, and I mean absolutely NOTHING, about Hengstridge. You've been living here a long time Mark, before now has anything noteworthy happened in the last five or so years? When was the last time something like a big trade caravan or a drought or anything out of the ordinary happen?"

GrayDeath
2020-09-02, 02:27 PM
Mark walks towards the Wall with the large Map, while listening to Ptolemy, and opens a small alcove in it, taking out a rather dumpy bottle and 3 small, tulip-shaped glasses.

He walks back and sits down as well, gesturing to Scarlet to take a seat, which she does.

At the mention of Baron Ghran he nodds. "So I have heard. But he is also arch-conservative. We would also be looking towards increased taxes, and likely the stationing of a permanent squad or 2."

After Ptolemy last sentence he seems to be in deep thought, while putting the glasses on a small crate between the chairs, and opüening the waxed cork of the bottle.

"Hmmmm, well true, almost nothing ever happens here, but I thought at least SOMETHING, and I would ahve just been away whenever that happened. What might cause this?"

He pours some light amber colored liquid into the 3 glasses, and offers 2 to his guests, with the words "Might as well drink it now, before it gets taxed away. Its from the Island of Morele, southeast of Khavim. 12 years old Rum, great quality."

Saying so and taking a smal, long sip, seemingly enjoing it very much.

The Rum has a very strong, spicy aroma, with udnertones of Dark fruits and almonds.

its also very strong, above 60%, just to make sure you know how to react^^

Scarlet sniffs, then takes a small sip ehrself. Her face seems ... undecided.

"And even if you know what caused the dearth of anything remarkable, how would that help us?"

ChaoticHarmony
2020-09-02, 04:08 PM
"Simple Mark, would you not say that the town being absorbed into the Lerkoss territories as a remarkable thing? Something that would travel pass the borders of the wall? If we can learn the what and why nothing extrordinary has happened, we can use it to stop the Duke." Ptomely raises his hand to decline the drink. He prefers to keep his mind as sharp as he can. "Are you sure there hasn't been anything unusual? Even something small could point us to the right direction."

GrayDeath
2020-09-02, 04:47 PM
"Well, as I said, I thought it was simply a very peaceful area, given that until a year or so ago I spent around a third of my time abroad. So no, I dont know of anything that makes me think "Strange happening" occuring. But if, as yous ay, someone or something has prevented "remarkable", what makes you think it will interfere? If they wanted, they could have shut the Duke down already, assuming your theory of their existence is right, as the Town WILL talk about this for ages, no matter the actual end result...."

Mark takes a longer sip of the very aromatic Drink, then seems to realize Ptolemy does not drink. "Its very good, and very much not poisoned, my friend." He seems to be trying to keep a good mood, including offering good drinks, which Ptolemy`s refusal to drink seems to run counter to, if he reads Marks mien correctly.

ChaoticHarmony
2020-09-02, 05:12 PM
"I'm sure it is amazing my friend, but alchohol tends not to agree with me. I appreciate the sentiment however. As for the theory, it's pretty simple. We learn what it is, we use it to sabotage the Duke. If there was a small legend of what this could be or why, I could approach Brannagh as the Septimus Mapmaker, they would certainly want to be up to date on territories of course, and plant the rumour in his mind. With that stage set, we can tilt events in a way to have them blamed on these mysterious forces."

GrayDeath
2020-09-02, 06:42 PM
"Well, if you dont want it...." Scarlet intercedes, her Rum being almost empty already, not that the incredible constitution of the seemingly "normal" Woman would show it.

Mark smiles amicably. "Please, of course. If Prtolemy doesnt want it." He smiles a bit wider than towards Ptoelmy, well, he isnt as attractive as Scarlet, so....

"Hmmmm, for the heck of me I cant think of anything. The only other option I saw was to get enough wealthy townspeople together to somehow hire help. For that at least I intended to conta ct Mr. Jarkhed, though I am not sure where he lives or IF he is still alive,, as you said Barong Ghran, Ms. Ithrass of the Milk Collective, and of course the 3 Orc Brothers of the traveller Lodges. Maybe the Twins Sinthai, they were well respected Soldiers in their time, but they are quite old, even for Half Elves." While talking his eyes go unfocused and towards the alrge Map. He then looks at Ptolemy again. "So if you want to find ...whatever this is, you will have to search on your own, sorry. But we are Mapmakers after all, so...:" he smiles.

Athaleon
2020-09-02, 07:04 PM
Meredith leans forward. She was rarely involved in bringing in new recruits for the rebels. Well. Living recruits.

"Interesting. What do we do to 'vet' people? Did you vet me after we met? Maybe I can learn how to vet. Am I using that word correctly?"

"More or less. Essentially, to "vet" a new recruit one has to look into their background to ensure they won't be a liability, let alone a loyalist spy. As for whether I vetted you? Suffice it to say, I saw enough to convince me of your skill set, and your motivation."

Toliudar
2020-09-08, 03:56 PM
Meredith nods.

"That actually sounds like fun. My guess is that there are some of the higher-ups here that might meet those criteria. Maybe we can do some snooping around some homes and offices after we finish with this other thing.

Oh, ah, not to put too fine a point on this, but if we are to travel quickly, I've got to ask. Can you fly? And, if not, are you claustrophobic?"

She smiled sweetly at the elf.

Athaleon
2020-09-09, 11:03 PM
"I can, in fact, fly. And I am not particularly afraid of enclosed areas."

Toliudar
2020-09-10, 12:40 AM
Meredith nods sombrely.

"My easiest means of quick, inobtrusive travel is on a very fast flying horse. It's strong enough to carry three of us, and you can fly. That means that I don't need to worry about sticking one of us into storage for the trip. Which is good news, because I'm told that Slugger smells a bit."

Athaleon
2020-09-15, 12:03 PM
"How fast is 'very fast'? I can fly but it's not much faster than me running."

Toliudar
2020-09-15, 02:04 PM
Meredith pauses, calculating.

"Clay, carrying me, is about four times faster than me running. He might be a bit slower if we're all ridign, but definitely still several times faster."

She shrugged. Since she didn't have a way to ask how far they'd be travelling, and wasn't even sure whether Kelhedros knew where they were going, further discussion on that topic had a significant chance of being pointless.

"So...based on what you know, is there anything else we should be taking with us to this mystery destination? Maybe we can do some shopping while Ptolemy and Ethir are off on their errand."

Athaleon
2020-09-15, 02:12 PM
"I suppose then that I must do without some creature comforts, and ride. If only your flying horse could pull a flying carriage."

He thought for a moment about what they'd need to purchase. "I have all the clothing I need to assume whatever identity I have to. Some rations are in order, if only for speed and convenience. I cannot predict what manner of specialized tools we'll need. I trust Ptolemy will take care of such during his errands, if he has not already."

Toliudar
2020-09-15, 03:55 PM
Meredith smiles and nods, and rummages in her pack for an inkwell and scrap of paper. She responds in Elven.

"Food! Right. I keep for... That is, we'll rely on you for a mix of flavours."

She scribbles: "Gone for food. Back in an hour" on the paper, and packs away the ink and quill.

"I suppose my horse could pull something, but unless it flies as well, it would be more like hitching a rowboat under him than a carriage behind. Not, I suspect, the elegant conveyance you have in mind."

Meredith goes over to a mirror and makes small adjustments to become a spruced up version of the road-weary woman who had entered the room.

"Right! Let's go shopping!"

GrayDeath
2020-09-26, 07:56 AM
And so, with a very cheery if not very....trustworthy seeming Smile, Meridith and a for one much less scary seeming Commando go to shop for necessities.

Not that most people arent awake and discussing what and why everything might bne happening, so the fact that ita clearlöy past curfew has little impact. Getting the standard fare of rations, some of them more spicy local made variants that cater more to elven Sensibilities than the regular version, as well as the maybe needed equipment for a, harmless put, "Small excursion into uncivilized woods", all is found and bought.

Therewhile, after a few minutes of silence, Scarlet manages to emßtx her second Rum without seeming to get drunk, and so Ptolemy and his Bodyguard leave his collagues house, agreeing to contact him again ionce they are ready to follow up on thier original reason to come here, and make agreement to meet within a day if they find something that can help them help the Town stay more or less free...

After getting together in their not so relaxed Travellers Lodge "Tavern", Scarlet decides to breach the fact she has to leavbe now isntead of the following morning, mentioning she will be willing to help along if what they need is early, otherwise she`ll be gone, as much as it saddens her....

And so, after clarifying that the next Morning they`ll go off and either contact the Baron Ghran or try and "visit" the Mysterious Businessman Mr. Jarkhed.

The Next Morning, at Breakfast:

Scarlet nods to her erstwhile companions while eating a large serving of fried eggs, Bacon and fresh Bread.

"So, did you decide? I can help out for a while, remember?"

At the same Time, Ethir reaches the Town from the southern Entrance, thereby not seeing anything about blocked bridges, but noticing that there seems to be a kind of almost panicky energy in the air....Probably best if he finds a tavern or Travellers Lodge, to find out whats going on.... .. If just his Dream had been clearer....

Toliudar
2020-09-26, 10:32 AM
Meredith

Backing up to the evening we reunite. Maybe we could have Ethir arrive in the evening, so that he has a chance to contribute to the 'what's next' conversation? It feels like the options that GrayDeath has just laid out aren't even things that we've talked about.

As the four of them gathered in the room, Meredith switches again to elven for at least a modicum of privacy.

"So, Ptolemy...how did everything go with your cartographic friend? And are we all still good to depart after supper?"

Heavenblade
2020-09-26, 02:11 PM
Ethir makes sure the glint of his golden eye is at least partially covered by his scarfs - best not to raise unwanted attention before he finds out about the people of the town.

He walks quietly, his back straight, knowing that despite his best efforts he will look like a stranger - so instead of pretending he is not a foreigner, he tries his best to be a quiet one, walking in the shadow of other people until he reaches the tavern, waits for someone to enter befpre him, and gets inside with him, immedietly stepping aside and taking a look around

Athaleon
2020-09-27, 02:21 AM
"So, Ptolemy...how did everything go with your cartographic friend? And are we all still good to depart after supper?"

"I should hope so. The sooner we are off, I believe, the better."

Toliudar
2020-11-05, 02:23 PM
Meredith

Meredith did her best to be patient with her colleagues and their seemingly interminable need to chew things, swallow things, and then, inevitably, excrete them again. She had some recollection of the whole thing being quite enjoyable in the doing, but as a thing to watch, it was much less interesting than, say, watching people play chess. Let alone getting on with the business of the day.

GrayDeath
2020-11-19, 06:35 PM
to smooth it all a bit, and not require another 4-5 posts to get back on track, I amde a slight retcon.

You ahve made your purchases, and are now at breakfast, intending to elave for a palce where you cant be overheard to all get the Info that so far only Kelhedros has.

So far you talked a lot about the more imminent stuff and agreed to concentrate on that first, as the loss of one of the last "free" Towns will harm you more than loosing a day or 3 in solving it.

Ptolemy ahs told you that a lead leads to a strangely inconspüicious-seeming former trader who happens to have lived here for almost exactly as long as the COntract and its, so far as you know connected, "unnatural peracefulness" has been happening here, mentioned the second and third options of backing an honorable but very conservative Noble and simply....acting more directly.
You ahve provisions and "normal stuff to travel" for at least a week, and collected all important Items you might need/have hidden/etc.

Ergo more or less what was discussed last time, jsut without the miscommunications^^).
Even th last sentence of meridith fits, jsut replace supper with breakfast (after all, it was the middle of the night^^).

I decided that it would be better to have Ethir arrive "in the nick of time", especially since that also fits part of his Character, than to rehash the same things for a third time, especially since I feel that my insistence on you doing that might ahve contributed to the break alst time.

You can again talk about the direct stuff once yopu`re out of the Town anyway, so: All OK with that?

If anything regarding that is still unclear, just ask in the OOC thread, so far I ama ssuming you are all recent on the events and ready to start again.

While Meridith was mentally reminding herself that not everybody could be animated by clean, ssmell and tasteless invisible (except, you know, to Death Sages) Energy, she also as a side-thought remembered how strange it ahd been that their whole "Get called, arrive, get not told much, cant decide" meeting was for the Resistance.

Especially for people so high up that they interacted directly with her or the at most 10 other people with as uch skill and power.

So either whatever had been found out was so incredible that her old aquaintance had lost his cool entirely (given that Kelhedros was also kind of in a hurry, could be) or...that other things were influencing them.

Not herself, of course, which is why she seemed to be the only one present who immediately saw Ethir as he entered the Tavern and looked around without doing so obviously.

Swallowing a large chunk of honeyed Oatmeal Cake, Ptolemy answers: " I have everything we need for my...medium term goal, and yours I assume once we have talked, yes.
But for now we should probably keep being inconspicious and finish eating, those of us that need to at elast, so that we can be on our way..."

Ethir is looked at obviously by one of the maids, who is jsut bringing out a large plank filled with thin fruit pancakes and fresh butter to a table right next to the door.

"Good Morning Sir. Something to eat, drink? We are a little full but back there are still a few palces free, if you want. I`ll come over in a jiffy." She smiles a bit wider than she would to a less attractive man, one should think, and goes on to deliver her load.

Athaleon
2020-11-20, 03:32 AM
"Normally I would balk at the thought of compromise, but I would rather have our business in this town resolved quickly and quietly. Let's see what Ptolemy's lead can do for us, or if indeed it turns out to be genuine at all."

Toliudar
2020-11-22, 07:57 PM
Meredith

Meredith smiles at her two colleagues.

"Quickly and quietly can be a tricky combination. Quickly might be easy - we find out where the brother sleeps, and kill him - but that won't be quiet, and is likely to bring even more trouble down on the heads of this defenseless town.

"Quietly is also easy - we provide enough distractions back in Lerkoss' lap - not too hard to poison a few cisterns, make a few minor nobles disappear - that they're too busy to worry about taking on new territory. In the bigger picture, this is all lopping heads off of a hydra, but I'm all for reducing the proportion of a**holes to non-a**holes in the world."

She turns to Ethir for his thoughts.

GrayDeath
2020-11-23, 04:12 PM
"Harrumph." Ptolemy stops Meridiths friendly collection of deadly plans. In the middle of an open breakfast area ...

"First however, we should see if we can do something without even revealing that we, or anyone else of our... Creed, was ever here. Which is kind of difficult if Nobles start dying, dont you agree? Which, if I might remind you, is why we all agreed upon first trying to find this mysterious Jarkhed character. Dont forget that just because it seems to be a simple "Noble takes over rivalling town" scenario ... we have more than a few hints sof ar that it is anything BUT."

He stops his low, hard to understand from even only 2 meters away, almost-tirade as Ethir steps up to their Table, the maid not too far behind, probably intending to take the new guests Orders.

"Ethir. Well, if that aint a pleasant surprise for once, I didnt think my message could have reached you quickly enough!"

As soon as Ethir ahs ordered and they all ahve made it look like they are well aquainted business aprtners, and not...somthing else, he quietly adds:

"If other options have failed, we can still go on and continue...gardening." He adds with a smirk. Its not that Ptolemy has shown a lack of disgust for the Empires Nobles, its jsut that his whole setup, and role, is close enough to them that he always tries the less obvious actions first.

Heavenblade
2020-11-24, 04:55 AM
Ethir nods, his voice clear and quiet even behind the concealing rags Of course. A call to expand the path to perfection is not something one could easily Ignore, I believe. he nods quietly to the maid. Being a hermit doesn't mean starving himself to death, after all...

He turns to look at the others It is good to see that my path to the freedom of the people is not as lone as I thought when I took the first steps. You look like capable people He slightly inclines his head towards the rest of the group and it is always good to have someone at your side when you go...gardening? a smirk gleams on his face under the rags for a split second before disappearing into seriousness.

The details WERE a little vague I'll admit. More details as to the nature of the clues would be greatly appreciated.

Toliudar
2020-11-24, 01:12 PM
I had taken my cue from your previous OOC note about finding a less obtrusive place to talk, and had assumed that that's where we were talking. Meredith is NOT stupid enough to discuss assassination over breakfast.

Once breakfast is consumed and paid for, Meredith leads the group back up to to room at the lodge.

"Okay. We're all among friends here. Let's stop the gardening metaphors and dire hints that 'there's more at play' and 'we need to be cautious', which are getting us precisely nowhere. Agreed?"

She lays out the situation for Ethir to the best of her ability.

"The duke of the neighbouring territory, Lerkoss, has claimed the freshly repaired bridge that is this town's lifeblood, charging a ruinous 10gp toll to cross. The implication is that it's a precursor to annexing the town as a whole. He has sent soldiers and his a**hat mage of a brother to enforce this. If Ptolemy has additional thoughts about what those hints are that there's more going on than that, I encourage him to make himself a lot clearer."

She shakes her head.

"Meanwhile, Ptolemy also had some kind of meeting yesterday, and had some sort of lead that was going to take us out of town, but he wouldn't tell me what that was."

She shrugged.

"Nobles die all the time. Sometimes at our hands. I happen to see that as a feature, not a bug. Now, I have no problem with killing the brother in a way that doesn't leave a body, or pursuing another course of action. But I swear, if somebody tells me that we need to me more thoughtful and subtle or some s**t without actually suggesting a course of action, I will be most put out."

Athaleon
2020-11-25, 12:24 AM
"Well then. If we cannot be subtle, then let us at least be swift. We make the brother disappear, which will send an unmistakable message while allowing the village folk to truthfully say they know nothing - for whatever that is worth to the Empire. Then we can return to our original purpose here."

GrayDeath
2020-11-25, 10:27 AM
OK, since you seem intent on actually talking the plan out, that we agreed upon in the OOC that you already had talked out, please do so, but dfont expect Ptoelmy to hold back his disgust with your total lack of proffesionalism!

Jokes aside, see, just exactly that was intended to be done once you were OUTSIDE the town.
If you dont tell me offtopic that you dont want to paly fluff but "jump ahead", how the heck am I supposed to know?

So now you get the discussiuon that we already did, 3/4ths offtopic and 1/4th in my post, in live.

Maybe it helps.

As for the future. The next time soneone of you tries to "move other characters/the scene" along I wills top it.

The only way a scene ends is if A: All palyers agree or (rare) B: I think I MUST move you along.

For the future please talk about your "frustrations" OOC, thats what that thread is for.

Ptoelmy shakes his head.

"Honestly. Is it demanding too much for you people to remember what we agreed upon? There are MASSIVE signs that some power outside the empires knowledge has been at work here. For decades. And noone noticed anything! I for one am more tham willing to expend both the effort necessary to make sure this town REMAINS both free and out of the Inquisitions" at that his gaze becomes positively withering as it is aimed for Meridith and Kelhedros, after all she should know that just because she no longer needs tof ear standard empire repurcussions,t hat is in no way true for THE PEOPLE of the empire, "So that maybe you 2 can keep your bloodthirsty istincts at least aimed at actually deserving people, and not at targets whose removbal will only lead to large scale investigation! I mean honestly, I didnt even ahve to tell you" he eyes the Elven Veteran, "Anything at all about you know what, and I`m sure you wouldnt be this...aggressive."

He takes a deep breath, obviously trying to calm down ...

"Honestly, one should think this is your first "Gardening" Trip. But please, illuminate me,. what do you think will happen once the Brother of a Duke, who himself is a fully acclaimed absolvent of merely the most prestigious Wizard Academy of this continent "ends up dead", huh?

Heavenblade
2020-11-26, 01:57 AM
Ethir ever so slightly nods in response to the conversation
The problem with just cutting someone out is people will look for a story. A meaningless death always means that the survivors will look for answers - or revenge. If we wish to take on the wizard and his soldiers, we must do so in such a way that points the blame away from the innocent. It is not enough that they will truly know nothing - The empire must not THINK that they knew something.