PDA

View Full Version : Eldritch postal service

Heavenblade
2020-08-09, 03:03 PM
Im probably not the first one to figure this out, but here is a fun thing I accidentally stumbled upon:

Fact 1. Eldritch knights can summon their bonded weapon as a bonus action from any distance as long as they are on the same plane
2. There is no limit to the amount of eldritch knights who can bond to the same weapon
3. If you take the tavern brawler feat you could potentially pick something like an erasable board as your weapon (or a clay board or something)

Conclusion: postal service in dnd are actually a huge group of 3rd level eldritch knights who bond to the same clay boards in order to relay information quickly by teleporting them across the continent in the matter of seconds.

There are obviously a bunch in each station - the ones that relay messeges, and then the ones that summon the weapons every X minutes in order to be updated about new deliveries that need to be made.

This might also work for package delivery if they pic a sack/bag as their bonded weapon but thats a stretch.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-09, 05:03 PM
I mean or it could be a bunch of spellcasters with sending.

HappyDaze
2020-08-09, 05:06 PM
I'd think doing this with an intelligent weapon that acts as the messenger would be best.

JackPhoenix
2020-08-09, 10:10 PM
Fact 3 is not true. A board isn't a weapon. Tavern Brawler doesn't change that.

Falconcry
2020-08-09, 10:16 PM
What about a hand axe with a hollow shaft?

AdAstra
2020-08-09, 11:06 PM
Could do one better. Use a “maul” that’s just a metal box on a stick, so that you can deliver packages and messages both.

Kane0
2020-08-09, 11:30 PM
Sounds good if you want the personal touch I suppose, but for mass communication I'd still go with the Magic Mouth Network.

GentlemanVoodoo
2020-08-09, 11:43 PM
2. There is no limit to the amount of eldritch knights who can bond to the same weapon

On fact 2 check with your DM. While though by RAW this is correct, some DM's have a RAI thought that bond effects like this fall under similar rules like attunement's limitation to one person only. Reason I bring this up is I'm reminded of two players at an Adventure League event I once attended tried to do the same thing which the DM shut that down on the RAI argument.

Hytheter
2020-08-09, 11:50 PM
Tavern brawler lets you add proficiency to attacks with an improvised weapon, but it doesn't actually turn the object into a weapon. Weapon Bond doesn't require proficiency in the first place so Tavern Brawler doesn't interact with it at all.

Even if it did work, this whole thing seems clunky. There's no way of knowing whether there's actually a message to be received so you'll just have to periodically summon the weapon, often uselessly. Expect a lot of farcical antics as one knight summons the board while another was still reading it.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-08-10, 12:08 AM
Tavern brawler lets you add proficiency to attacks with an improvised weapon, but it doesn't actually turn the object into a weapon. Weapon Bond doesn't require proficiency in the first place so Tavern Brawler doesn't interact with it at all.

Even if it did work, this whole thing seems clunky. There's no way of knowing whether there's actually a message to be received so you'll just have to periodically summon the weapon, often uselessly. Expect a lot of farcical antics as one knight summons the board while another was still reading it.
That is why you use time tables that says when and were the table is.
If Jin didn't notice his time to write is up it his is problem and he will need to finish it next cycle