PDA

View Full Version : Bard, in a dungeon, in an anti-magic field

leegi0n
2020-08-09, 07:25 PM
Play grounders, my bard (bard6/mindbender1/lyric thau2) has been thrown into a dungeon. Usually, not that big of a deal but this particular cell has an anti-magic field of unknown origin. Based on my classes and your knowledge of bards, do I have any options getting around this anti-magic field?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Doctor Despair
2020-08-09, 10:09 PM
AMFs need line of effect to you, so it is in your cell somewhere. That could be a place to start from.

Another_Lurker
2020-08-09, 11:29 PM
Presumably the walls, door, and lock of your cell will also be in the AMF, and therefore can't benefit from any reinforcing magics.

How's your Disable Device skill? Alternatively, if you've got someone stronk with you, they might be able to bash down the door.

Ashiel
2020-08-10, 12:32 AM
Play grounders, my bard (bard6/mindbender1/lyric thau2) has been thrown into a dungeon. Usually, not that big of a deal but this particular cell has an anti-magic field of unknown origin. Based on my classes and your knowledge of bards, do I have any options getting around this anti-magic field?

Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Antimagic fields are emanations. If you can break line of effect you, even if it just means stripping naked and making a sheet out of sewing your torn clothes together to hide behind, then it stops affecting you. All you have to do is determine the direction the effect is emanating from. If your cell has a bed, blanket, or mattress, you're already equipped to foil it.

Bohandas
2020-08-10, 01:48 AM
Also, a bard probably has high charisma and social skills, so you could try manipulating the guards.

Asmotherion
2020-08-10, 02:37 AM
AMFs need line of effect to you, so it is in your cell somewhere. That could be a place to start from.

That. Also, they're 10 feet radious emanation centered on the caster, so you can probably cast somewere in your cell. In any case, the Point of Origin is someone you can see and within 10 feet of you, so once you find them, block it's AoE with something (Arguably, even a cloth can do it) or wait it out.

AnimeTheCat
2020-08-10, 05:02 AM
Antimagic fields are emanations. If you can break line of effect you, even if it just means stripping naked and making a sheet out of sewing your torn clothes together to hide behind, then it stops affecting you. All you have to do is determine the direction the effect is emanating from. If your cell has a bed, blanket, or mattress, you're already equipped to foil it.

That. Also, they're 10 feet radious emanation centered on the caster, so you can probably cast somewere in your cell. In any case, the Point of Origin is someone you can see and within 10 feet of you, so once you find them, block it's AoE with something (Arguably, even a cloth can do it) or wait it out.

Those are assuming that it is indeed the spell "Antimagic Field" or an effect based off of that. I suspect, as this smells of DM Fiat or similar, that this is likely to be due to some kind of material that the cell is built from or that this is not so simple as "hang a curtain and you're good". I suspect that if the OP were to do that, the DM would still have the spells not work and then an argument would follow.

I recommend that you follow one of the other two options from above that are to silver tongue your way out or sneak your way out, depending on your skillset. Other options include things like faking an illness and ganking the guards, or simply awaitng your trial or whatever and planning your escape then. There's not a whole lot to go off of in your post OP, but maybe ask the DM if you can role a Bardic Knowledge check on antimagic materials, locations, or effects and see if you can't deduce the HOW in all of this, and that may improve your chances of success.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-08-10, 06:54 AM
Fiat isn't needed. Antimagic Sigils from SBG are a thing. One stronghold space (apx 20 x 20 x 10) and everything in it is treated as being in an antimagic field.

Asmotherion
2020-08-10, 08:50 AM
Those are assuming that it is indeed the spell "Antimagic Field" or an effect based off of that. I suspect, as this smells of DM Fiat or similar, that this is likely to be due to some kind of material that the cell is built from or that this is not so simple as "hang a curtain and you're good". I suspect that if the OP were to do that, the DM would still have the spells not work and then an argument would follow.

I recommend that you follow one of the other two options from above that are to silver tongue your way out or sneak your way out, depending on your skillset. Other options include things like faking an illness and ganking the guards, or simply awaitng your trial or whatever and planning your escape then. There's not a whole lot to go off of in your post OP, but maybe ask the DM if you can role a Bardic Knowledge check on antimagic materials, locations, or effects and see if you can't deduce the HOW in all of this, and that may improve your chances of success.

Sure, that's my initial assumption. Though, you can't really do something about DM Fiat, unless you know it's there. Then at least you have the choice of claiming RAW or just knowingly accept the fact the DM has his own way to resolve this disreguarding RAW. What you do about that is up to you, but knowing is better than ignorance.

That said, could also be antimagic shakles or a variety of other custom items (that would share the Emanation trait) or a Dead magic zone (that would literally be a complete shut down). So, choosing to refear to it as an AMF gives hope the DM may allow a RAW solution. Hope it helps as perspective?

leegi0n
2020-08-10, 06:47 PM
He (DM) hasn't explained the AMF's origin. I'm gonna try to disable the locking device. The guards don't stay down in the dungeon with me, unfortunately. I was the "speaker" of a rival clan that has been attacked. The leader of my abductors had forced me (under penalty of comrades death) to agree to influence the city for his clan. Everytime they come to my cell to drop food (bread/water) they bind and gag me. They're afraid if me opening my mouth because of what happens when I speak (good ol bardic manipulation). They remove it when they leave though. I have been stripped of all clothes, except a loin cloth which I removed to attempt to make prison hooch from the bread and water.

*shrug*

It's a tough spot, for sure and I love the challenge, but damn.

Kelb_Panthera
2020-08-10, 07:19 PM
Have you considered the old "play dead and attack the guards/ flee while the door is opened" trick?

Ashiel
2020-08-10, 07:45 PM
Have you considered the old "play dead and attack the guards/ flee while the door is opened" trick?
Diplomacy the guards into bringing Ketchup.

El Dorado
2020-08-11, 09:15 AM
Wait for someone to bring you food. Diplomance away.

Eldan
2020-08-11, 09:44 AM
I mean, there's always agreeing with whatever they want from you, pretending to work for them for a while, then using the increased freedom to pull a con on them.