PDA

View Full Version : Shillelagh + Smite: any issue?

Unoriginal
2020-08-10, 04:14 AM
Hi folks, I was wondering:

In case of a Druid/Paladin multiclass or a Paladin with Magic Initiate, is there anything preventing the character to cast Shillelagh then use either Divine Smite or any of the Smite spells with their boosted stick?

Outside of Shillelagh using a Bonus Action on its first turn, which would make it impossible to use both Shillelagh and, say, Thunderous Smite on said first turn, I haven't seen anything that could prevent it, but am I missing something?

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-08-10, 04:37 AM
The paladin will still need to hit his attack.

Everything else is right.

There is nothing in Shillelagh that will stop you from using it with smite.

AvvyR
2020-08-10, 05:45 AM
Nothing will stop you from using them together, but keep in mind that both multiclassing druid and Magic Initiate will both get Shillelagh keyed to Wisdom, and not the Charisma the Paladin might prefer.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-08-10, 06:01 AM
Nothing will stop you from using them together, but keep in mind that both multiclassing druid and Magic Initiate will both get Shillelagh keyed to Wisdom, and not the Charisma the Paladin might prefer.

Current me if I am wrong but only the bard magical secrets and tome warlock pact can get it to key of cha.

Unoriginal
2020-08-10, 06:36 AM
Current me if I am wrong but only the bard magical secrets and tome warlock pact can get it to key of cha.

This is correct.

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-10, 10:28 AM
To be fair, you could just as easily swap out the Smite spells for Ranger spells. A lot of them do basically the same things, they're just a bit less focused on adding damage in favor of utility. Like Zephyr Strike or Ensnaring Strike. This has the benefit of being available at level 3 (Druid 1/Ranger 2) instead of level 5 (Paladin 2/Warlock 3), and getting overall higher spellcaster levels. You could even swap out the Druid for Nature Cleric, if you wanted to play as a heavily armored equivalent.

nickl_2000
2020-08-10, 10:34 AM

This is correct.

Those are the only official ones. UA 51 - Giant Soul Sorcerer (Hill Giant) had it available as well.