PDA

View Full Version : Granny vs. ?

kco_501
2007-10-31, 03:37 AM
Who do you think would stand a chance vresus granny weatherwax?
I mean i have been thinking and though there are names.. i would not give them too much of a chance... What do you think? Who could take the Granny down?

Dhavaer
2007-10-31, 03:54 AM
Someone with even better psychic powers, probably. I'd give Elspeth Gordie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elspeth_Gordie) good odds in a deathmatch scenario.

averagejoe
2007-10-31, 04:06 AM
No one. Even if she doesn't have more raw power, she definitely has enough guile, stern looks, common sense, and meanspirited-ness to bridge the gap.

Tengu
2007-10-31, 04:26 AM
Did Granny and Susan ever find themselves on the separate sides of the fence? If yes, who won? If not, I hope Granny would - I really don't like Susan, her Mary-Suesque person is one of the few flaws on the gem that's Discworld.

Dhavaer
2007-10-31, 04:28 AM
No, but Susan did once have to get information out of Nanny Ogg. It was in Thief of Time.

Lord Herman
2007-10-31, 04:30 AM
Vimes, maybe? Or perhaps Vetinari. Vimes is just about as stubborn as Granny, and notoriously hard to fool - I doubt headology would work on him. Vetinari would probably find a way to use her stubbornness against her.

kco_501
2007-10-31, 04:47 AM
Susan... is actually a good point.. but i don't really see a conflict there... they are both too intelligant and while arrogant are not stupid enough to go to a <deathmatch> other than in a verbal sparrring game
And nanny ogg is nowhere near granny in terms of power and headology

WalkingTarget
2007-10-31, 09:14 AM
Battle of the Grannies: Weatherwax vs. Aching (assuming that it's a few years before Wee Free Men and Granny Aching is still, y'know, alive).

Greebo
2007-10-31, 09:18 AM
Susan... is actually a good point.. but i don't really see a conflict there... they are both too intelligant and while arrogant are not stupid enough to go to a <deathmatch> other than in a verbal sparrring game

Pride where deserved isn't arrogance. Neither Susan nor Granny are arrogant, they simply know they're good.

I think Granny and Tiffany could possibly stand off against each other some day - not in a good vs. evil way, just simply because of different opinions. It's almost happened once already...

dehro
2007-10-31, 09:25 AM
No one. Even if she doesn't have more raw power, she definitely has enough guile, stern looks, common sense, and meanspirited-ness to bridge the gap.

you are forgetting she is also a dab had with a pin.. however, I agree: nobody can best Granny:smallsigh:

Did Granny and Susan ever find themselves on the separate sides of the fence? If yes, who won? If not, I hope Granny would - I really don't like Susan, her Mary-Suesque person is one of the few flaws on the gem that's Discworld.
it never happened, but since even Death has the common sense not to cross Granny, and choses to be on her side, I doubt Susan could do better.

Vimes, maybe? Or perhaps Vetinari. Vimes is just about as stubborn as Granny, and notoriously hard to fool - I doubt headology would work on him. Vetinari would probably find a way to use her stubbornness against her.

Vimes gets fooled half of the times, and mostly by half competent people (and vetinari allows him to be fooled in the first place, because it's how he gets wound up)..
Vetinari can't do a thing about magic (he ended up like vaarsuvius on one occasion ghghg )
sure, he would try to use Granny and the circumstances to let her do what needs to be done, but that's hardly a contest, since she would do it on her own in the first place (or do just like him and put the burden on someone else's shoulders...there is an analogy between Vetinar=>moist von lipwig and Granny=>Tiffany aching)

As for granny Aching, that would entirelly depend on where the contest would be held, although Mrs. Gogol suggest that Granny is perfectly at home even when she is, in fact, not at home at all.
It would be a close one, but I think Granny would win, in the end...or granny Aching would renounce to confront her, once they've measured each other up.

xanaphia
2007-11-05, 02:15 AM
What about Death or Mort?

dehro
2007-11-05, 05:59 AM
What about Death or Mort?

as I said, Death had a good look on her and decided he didn't want any (or was it the other way around?)

and compared to that, Mort is the male equivalent of Magrat... a wet hen

Green Bean
2007-11-05, 06:06 AM
The best way to beat Granny Weatherwax is to leave her alone so she beats herself.

Umbral_Arcanist
2007-11-05, 10:27 AM
Hmm, Vimes tends to get fooled at first, then gets it...

Vetinari.. i'm not sure about, he seems like to kind of guy that would "beat" Granny by getting her on his side/ to be useful, possibily changing his needs to avert the bigger threat...

Susan seems like she wouldn't fall for headology which means we have to go into uncharted territory... I'd say it would likely end as a stalemate of sorts... (Not sure about the whole Mary-Sue thing though)

Also, Rincewind might not lose to Granny simply because he isn't there...

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 10:34 AM

What books are you reading? Sure she is. She just isn't as likely to show off.

Green Bean
2007-11-05, 10:54 AM
What books are you reading? Sure she is. She just isn't as likely to show off.

Yep. I've read that TP thinks that Nanny Ogg is secretly the most powerful of the three, at least in terms of getting things done.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 10:55 AM
Gytha Ogg has the most raw magical power of the three; Esmerelda Weatherwax works hers a whole lot harder.

Green Bean
2007-11-05, 10:57 AM
Gytha Ogg has the most raw magical power of the three; Esmerelda Weatherwax works hers a whole lot harder.

Of course, Gytha seldom needs magic to get her way. Granny knows headology, but Nanny Ogg knows people.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 11:00 AM
So... Gytha Ogg versus Esme Weatherwax... who would win?

It would be a tie, because they're far too old to be having with this nonsense. :smallwink: If forced to 'fight', Gytha would 'surrender' and let Granny 'win', simply because she knows Esme would mope if she lost.

Green Bean
2007-11-05, 12:30 PM
So... Gytha Ogg versus Esme Weatherwax... who would win?

It would be a tie, because they're far too old to be having with this nonsense. :smallwink: If forced to 'fight', Gytha would 'surrender' and let Granny 'win', simply because she knows Esme would mope if she lost.

Pretty much. Nanny wins by losing because if she surrenders, then Granny hasn't truly won. Which would drive her absolutely crazy. :smallwink:

Kaelaroth
2007-11-05, 02:31 PM
Well.. the Luggage? Chrestomanci? Arianrhod Hyde? The Bursar? Polly?

Tamburlaine
2007-11-05, 02:42 PM
Chuck Norris?

Now that would be an interesting fight.

kco_501
2007-11-05, 02:49 PM
The best point made so far is Gytha Ogg, though.. i think she is skilled at playing Granny because even though she had more natural talent granny IS a lot more powerful (as shown in all books). If you consider that Gytha is a master at manipulating Granny, especially when Granny wishes to be manipulated, you could say Gytha would win... but not in a real sense... more in a conflict avoided sense...
If anything Gytha always try to hold Granny back... And remember the short story about the withces fair and what happened there when you want a granny gytha confrontation (sort of).

Another good point would be the Luggage... but i doubt even something as vile would dare stare at Granny... I think the Luggage would simply avoid the encounter. which it would surely succeed due to apparent planeshifting abilities.

I think that Susan would probably be one of the very few beings on the disc that could resist an actual battle encounter with Granny though i agree such a scenario is extremely unlikely to happen...But as to speculate the victor.. is beyond me.

The Bursar? Might get cured.. but that's it.

The_Snark
2007-11-05, 03:14 PM
Lu-Tze is probably a fairly even match. Their methods are actually very similar; they both rely on trickery and avoid using magic in flashy ways.

Of course, I can't think of anything that would actually make them fight.

dehro
2007-11-05, 03:28 PM
On more than one occasion nanny admits without any possible shame (nanny shamefull? her??) that she could never beat Granny.
in several books Nanny think she can mangage a good blow or two but would have to surrender to the opponent, since said opponent is stronger than her...and then she relies on Granny being the thoughest anyway.
(I'm thinking of "the other" weatherwax... and of Mrs. Gogol... and the vampyres...etc etc)

but she has her ways..and is probably a lot better when it comes to lore, to knowing people (she brought most of them in the world, one way or another:smallbiggrin: ) and of course she is the best at keeping track of who "got the silverware and never returned it, whatever they say..."

ah..and of course, Wen made pretty sure that she was the best midwife ever.

Green Bean
2007-11-05, 03:30 PM
On more than one occasion nanny admits without any possible shame (nanny shamefull? her??) that she could never beat Granny.
in several books Nanny think she can mangage a good blow or two but would have to surrender to the opponent, since said opponent is stronger than her...and then she relies on Granny being the thoughest anyway.
(I'm thinking of "the other" weatherwax... and of Mrs. Gogol... and the vampyres...etc etc)

Of course, there's more than one kind of strength.

dehro
2007-11-05, 03:32 PM
Of course, there's more than one kind of strength.
lol.. I was just about changing my post...ghgh

kco_501
2007-11-05, 03:39 PM
The sweeper is one of my favourite characters, altough kind of cliche... but in a way that uses that cliche to make him even better. BUT he admits himself that he would NOT want to face Granny in a fight,
(during thief of time.. broom borrowing incident)

To dehro : good point
i was kinda hoping someone would stand a chance agianst ol' Esme... i love her as a character but she is made to tough in my opinion...
And check norris would probably spend his remainder of his days believing he's a turkey or something...

Hopeless
2007-11-05, 04:06 PM
Who do you think would stand a chance vresus granny weatherwax?
I mean i have been thinking and though there are names.. i would not give them too much of a chance... What do you think? Who could take the Granny down?

If they have any sense whatsoever the answer is NO ONE.
I'd even feel sorry for Death if it ever had to go collect her... just remembering what she did to those elves... and the fact she could pull off most of that stuff without casting magic... I suspect even Darth Vader would sooner take a hike than have to face her!

Voldermort maybe but only because he is an idiot, Snape wouldn't he'd actually know better, the Emperor? No even if had the Death Star it wouldn't help she could actually reach him LONG before he could order it to blow up discworld...
Probably sick Luggage on him come to think of it...

How about Sauron, though knowing her she's poke his eye out, that is if she didn't do it in the first place always thought Isildur used propaganda to pull that off!

kco_501
2007-11-06, 12:51 AM
While i agree with you, something just sperked my imagination.
Do you think granny would withstand the ring?

I know she wouldn't wear it in the first place ( y'know the no jewelry stuff)
but let's talk in theory.

SO THERE IS NOTHING IN THE MULTIVERSE TO TAKE DOWN GRANNY? EXCEPT FOR PERHAPS GRANNY?

dehro
2007-11-06, 04:21 AM

SO THERE IS NOTHING IN THE MULTIVERSE TO TAKE DOWN GRANNY? EXCEPT FOR PERHAPS GRANNY?

knowing her, she'd bring it to jason's smithy and have it transformed into 6 sets of ant-shoes... to put on six different ants.. and then spread those across discworld...
and sit back watching Sauron gauge his one eye out, in the effort of locating his precious ring in several locations at once
now there's a smith that could rival Sauron in skill...

Dhavaer
2007-11-06, 05:00 AM
Captain Carrot, maybe? He's pure of heart to the degree that headology is probably useless against him, and being the True King should give him enough narrativium to shrug off a lot of magic.

dehro
2007-11-06, 05:16 AM
Captain Carrot, maybe? He's pure of heart to the degree that headology is probably useless against him, and being the True King should give him enough narrativium to shrug off a lot of magic.

which is why she probably would just talk to him and make him see things from her point of view...they both act only with the greater good in mind..so there is no reason for them to fight.

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 05:21 AM
I think I have one.

Tom Bombadil.

Now here's one with whose mind even Granny could not mess.

dehro
2007-11-06, 05:24 AM
I think I have one.

Tom Bombadil.

Now here's one with whose mind even Granny could not mess.

true..but would he care of fighting her?
$and even then...he seems to be absolutely undefeatable..but I wonder if he's any good at defeating others...

The_Snark
2007-11-06, 05:27 AM
Granny's mental encounters with the spirit of Lancre can probably give you the answer to that one. (Which is to say, she wouldn't win and wouldn't fight it in the first place.)

The Auditors... hmmm. Headology certainly won't work on them, because you need an imagination.

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 05:28 AM
true..but would he care of fighting her?Probably not - in fact, assuredly not - but I guess the purpose of Vs. threads is to assume people choose to combat each other even if they would have no reason whatsoever to do so actually.

$and even then...he seems to be absolutely undefeatable..but I wonder if he's any good at defeating others...Frankly? I have no idea. :smallbiggrin:

But at least here is one who would not be defeated by Granny, which seems like an improvement over "loses horribly" to me. :smallwink:

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 07:39 AM
Granny's mental encounters with the spirit of Lancre can probably give you the answer to that one. (Which is to say, she wouldn't win and wouldn't fight it in the first place.)

The Auditors... hmmm. Headology certainly won't work on them, because you need an imagination.

Due to the fact that they can't actually interfere and have the physical capabilities of a cloak made of mist, I wouldn't put my money on them.

Besides, they're not immune to magic.

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 07:43 AM
How about something from the Dungeon Dimensions?

Lovecraftian beasts have a nasty tendency to be profoundly not impressed by stern looks...

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 07:46 AM

Lovecraftian beasts have a nasty tendency to be profoundly not impressed by stern looks...

The Things from the Dungeon Dimensions also have a nasty tendency to be allergic to reality. And I refuse to accept that one could possess her.

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 07:55 AM
The Things from the Dungeon Dimensions also have a nasty tendency to be allergic to reality. And I refuse to accept that one could possess her.I can picture that.
Granny: "We'll see who shall possess whom!"
:smallbiggrin:

You're right, that would be cruel towards the poor Things from the Dungeon Dimensions.

...real Cthulhu Mythos monstrosities, then? :smalleek:

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 08:49 AM
I can't picture Granny saying 'whom', either...

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 09:04 AM
Yes, I know, but I was too lazy to try and think of a more befitting formulation.

"We will see who will be possessed!"

There. Better? :smalltongue:

kco_501
2007-11-06, 09:10 AM
I think we can safely assume it can not be anything from the discworld universe... Pratchett made sure of that :)
But i think Ctulhu beasts are too much alike Dungeon Dimensions beasts to have a chance...

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 09:13 AM
I think we can safely assume it can not be anything from the discworld universe... Pratchett made sure of that :)
But i think Ctulhu beasts are too much alike Dungeon Dimensions beasts to have a chance...Except they are not allergic to reality; reality is allergic to them. :smallwink:

SITB
2007-11-06, 10:53 AM
Also, The Nameless One from Planescape: Torment, there is very little at the end of the game that he can't actually kill/destroy/accomplish.

And quite a lot of other things that can destroy planets/universes with a thought. The trick is to find a reasonably human opponent that can defeat her.

Winterwind
2007-11-06, 11:23 AM
A reasonably human opponent might be too reasonable to go against her. :smallbiggrin:

kco_501
2007-11-06, 11:38 AM
I do not think that gods and things at the power level of gods are into discussion,as they are not quite part of the universe but rather transcend it...
And that would mean to ask who would win.. a cell of a man or a man... but i-m getting philosophical here...
In short.. it doesn't have to be necessarily antropmorphic... but it shouldn't be a god.

A question ... what about amazo from dc comics? the android who copies powers..

dehro
2007-11-06, 01:45 PM

ah...but there are stern looks, and then there is Granny Weatherwax..

About this Amazo character I don't know..how fast is he on the uptake? I think he'd be halfway through copying a manifested power and suddenly would have to face something new displayed by "the granny"...
or she would absolutely refrain from using any power and make him pee his pants for fear that she's using something he can't detect...
She's done it before.

PsyBlade
2007-11-06, 02:03 PM
The Amazo from DC comics can't copy powers, or is limited in what he can copy. The Amazo of JLU on the otherhand...

Still, I don't see him being good enough the first time they fight. If he gets a second chance, it would be interesting.

Of course, all of this is from limited knowledge on Amazo, and 'primitive' knowledge on Granny.

Now how about Miranda Deegan from Dominic Deegan: Oracle for Hire?

Smeik
2007-11-06, 03:17 PM
I wouldn't dismiss Lu-Tze as a serious opponent to Granny that easily. I mean, he can fight actually better (and faster) than nearly evryone else.

And i wonder if Rule One doesn't also appy to Granny?

The_Snark
2007-11-06, 03:22 PM
Aye. Just because he said he wouldn't like to face her doesn't mean he couldn't.

I mean, when you look at it that way, he doesn't really want to fight anyone.

They're both master headologists. They're very similar, really...

Somebloke
2007-11-06, 03:24 PM
Emperor Palpatine? He has never really displayed any sort of emotional weakness for her to capitalise on, and has a talent for manipulation.

Woofsie
2007-11-06, 04:56 PM
I reckon my granny could give her a run for her money... :smallamused:

Other than that I think she'd be fairly undefeatable.

averagejoe
2007-11-06, 05:49 PM
You know, there's actually a pretty good case for Bombadil, but let's face it; with his mentality, she can probably Borrow him. :smalltongue:

Palpatine has the same talent for manipulation as a slegehammar. You know who can manipulate a whiny teenage boy? ANYBODY. (And that goes double for Jar Jar.) He just kind of sat around cackling in his dark cloak, being all evil. Granny wins, hands down, no contest.

kco_501
2007-11-06, 11:43 PM
Excuse me.. i meant the Amazo from JLU and he is extremely fast on the uptake... And honestly, i don't see Tom Bombadil actually doing something to GRanny...

Green Bean
2007-11-06, 11:45 PM
Excuse me.. i meant the Amazo from JLU and he is extremely fast on the uptake... And honestly, i don't see Tom Bombadil actually doing something to GRanny...

Amazo has got issues by the truckload. It'll take about eight seconds for Granny psychologically destroy him.

Aquillion
2007-11-06, 11:47 PM
Here's how I imagine a proper confrontation between her and death would go:
How to Cope with Death (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9x4DM6HfYO0)

Blue Paladin
2007-11-07, 01:06 PM
Since Amazo was brought up, I'll go with the comic book Amazo. He's an android; dial back the responsometer to zero, and he becomes immune to headology. Take the most powerful version and remove the word "current" from his JLA roster subroutine. Amazo now has every JLA superpower ever, starting from the "basics" of Superman + Wonder Woman + Martian Manhunter + Captain Marvel, up to and including the world-breaking powers of Wally West Flash and Kyle Rayner Green Lantern, plus the severe reality-breaking of Firestorm and Zatanna, Dr. Fate and Matt Tyler Hourman.

Plus Batman, for kicks. "If Amazo has time to prepare..."

xanaphia
2007-11-08, 01:17 AM
Multiverse you say?

Including other fictional universes?

Like Harry Potter?

I feel a thread coming along...

kco_501
2007-11-08, 02:13 AM
Of course... any universe... But honestly i don't see any hp-wizard having any chance against granny... i think she would stare doln voldy and his crew... and also she wouldn't let a bunch of brats cause that kind of ruckus.

Otterella
2007-11-09, 10:58 AM
What about Mrs. Cake? How much do we really know about her?

Green Bean
2007-11-09, 11:06 AM
What about Mrs. Cake? How much do we really know about her?

Nah. She's just a medium/fortune teller. Not someone that would go after a witch. Besides, the two would bond over cups of tea and things they can't be having with. :smalltongue:

dehro
2007-11-09, 02:31 PM
Nah. She's just a medium/fortune teller. Not someone that would go after a witch. Besides, the two would bond over cups of tea and things they can't be having with. :smalltongue:

she'd know before even granny knew it that she'd lose.
she is really persistent..or maybe really annoying and a little creepy...but that's about it

dehro
2007-11-09, 02:33 PM
Of course... any universe... But honestly i don't see any hp-wizard having any chance against granny... i think she would stare doln voldy and his crew... and also she wouldn't let a bunch of brats cause that kind of ruckus.

"magic is easy..or wizards wouldn't be able to do it"

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-09, 02:51 PM
"magic is easy..or wizards wouldn't be able to do it"

(Of course, this stems from the witch stereotype that witches are better than wizards at magic. This isn't true; witch magic just uses less actual magic than wizard magic, so wizards tire out faster than witches.)

nephtis
2007-11-09, 03:00 PM

She'd be able to resist. She tried on the crown in McBest before the witches hid it and was able to resist it - although she may have been tempted for a second by the promise of power it could offer. (I think Magrat was the only one who wasn't tempted to try it on).

The scene was pretty close to how I imagine her reaction to the ring would be. In fact so close that I'm not even sure that it wasn't written with the ring in mind. It would be a Pratchett thing to do.

dehro
2007-11-09, 03:08 PM
(Of course, this stems from the witch stereotype that witches are better than wizards at magic. This isn't true; witch magic just uses less actual magic than wizard magic, so wizards tire out faster than witches.)

in "equal rites" there's a nice magical confrontation between Granny and the archcancelor of the time...If I remember correctly they where evenly matched but it is also suggested that she'd eventually win.

Googlywirdo
2007-11-09, 07:09 PM
What about the great Atun? Or Zaphod beetlebrox?

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-10, 08:50 AM
in "equal rites" there's a nice magical confrontation between Granny and the archcancelor of the time...If I remember correctly they where evenly matched but it is also suggested that she'd eventually win.

It's rather unfair to compare what was probably only an above-average wizard to the most powerful witch on the Disc. :smallwink:

She would have eventually run because witches have more 'stamina' than wizards. They use less magic and are generally less flashy.

Eldan
2007-11-13, 12:11 PM
Who would the greatest wizard be then? The Sourcerer Boy (forgot his name)? Albert?

Wizzardman
2007-11-13, 03:23 PM
Who would the greatest wizard be then? The Sourcerer Boy (forgot his name)? Albert?

Albert. I don't think Sourcerer's count; they're really just a Dungeon Dimension Disaster waiting to happen.

And Albert would lose. He's pretty full of himself when in Wizard-mode, and Granny could easily use that to her advantage.

Duke Malagigi
2007-11-13, 04:16 PM
Okay, how about this one? Discworld's Granny Weatherwax vs. the Avatar's world's own Azula. Winner takes all. That would be worth watching.

dehro
2007-11-13, 09:20 PM
It's rather unfair to compare what was probably only an above-average wizard to the most powerful witch on the Disc. :smallwink:

She would have eventually run because witches have more 'stamina' than wizards. They use less magic and are generally less flashy.

nah..he was made archchancelor the odl way...fighting to the top..not like Ridcully who got appointed (by mistake, admittedly)...he must have been quite good.

Azula?..no, I don't really see that one

Green Bean
2007-11-13, 09:32 PM
Granny Weatherwax is like Batman, in a way. They're both so hardcore, so focused on victory, that it's nearly impossible to picture them losing to anyone. Of course, this is where Batman loses out, because while his universe (ostensibly) runs on solid rules, the Disc runs on belief. If no one truly believes Granny can be beaten, then she can't.

Duke Malagigi
2007-11-13, 09:32 PM
Azula?..no, I don't really see that one

It's just as likely as a Granny Weatherwax-Voldemort fight.