Hit Dice: 1d8
Hit Points at 1st Level: 8+Constitution Modifier
Hit Points at Higher Levels: 1d8 (5)+Constitution Modifier

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: Light, Medium, and Heavy Armor
Weapons: Simple and Martial Weapons
Tools: Any one artisan tool

Saving Throws: Dexterity and Charisma
Skills: Choose three from Athletics, Acrobatics, Sleight of Hand, Stealth, Arcana, History, Investigation, Nature, Religion, Medicine, Intimidation

EQUIPMENT
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment granted by your background:
-(a) Chain Mail, (b) Scale Mail, or (c) Leather Armor
-Any two weapons you have proficiency in, with 20 pieces of ammo (if it uses ammo) or two additional copies (if thrown)
-Any one simple weapon you have proficiency in, with 20 pieces of ammo (if it uses ammo) or two additional copies (if thrown)
-Any one pack

Sororitas

Level
Proficiency Bonus
Features
Faith Points

1st
+2
Puritanical Senses, Fighting Style
-

2nd
+2
Faith, Armored In Faith

3rd
+2
Order

4th
+2
Ability Score Improvement

5th
+3
Extra Attack, Exorcism

6th
+3
Order Feature

7th
+3
Grace

8th
+3

9th
+4
Least Martyr

10th
+4
Order Feature

11th
+4
Radiance, Improved Exorcism

12th
+4

13th
+5
Martyr

14th
+5
Serenity

15th
+5
Order Feature

16th
+5

17th
+6
Extra Attack II, Greater Exorcism

18th
+6
True Martyr

19th
+6

20th
+6
Living Saint

Puritanical Senses
At level one, you may, as an action, open your senses to the world to detect unholy influences. You automatically detect if there are any Aberrations, Fey, Fiends, or Undead within 60' of you. You do learn which type(s) are present, but not their exact locations, nor their exact numbers.

Fighting Style
Also at level one, you may choose the Defense, Archery, or Great Weapon Fighting fighting style.

Armored In Faith
At level two, you may substitute your Charisma score for your Strength score for the purposes of wearing Heavy Armor without being slowed.

Faith
Also at level two, you gain a pool of Faith Points, equal to your Sororitas level. Your pool completely refreshes on a long rest, and you regain an amount equal to your Charisma modifier over a short rest. These can be used in various ways, oftentimes duplicating spells-and while the effects are magical in nature (and therefore susceptible to antimagic or dead magic) they are not the same as casting a spell, and therefore cannot have Counterspell used on them. Your Charisma is your ability score for these abilities.

Various abilities cost different amounts of Faith Points, and are available at the indicated levels.

0 Faith Abilities-These abilities do not cost any Faith Points, but cannot be used when your pool is empty.

Stabilize-2nd Level
You may cast Spare The Dying

Protect-2nd Level
You may cast Resistance

1 Faith Abilities

Canny Senses-2nd Level
You may use your Puritanical Senses to learn the exact number of the various types you can detect.

Cure-2nd Level
You may cast Cure Wounds as a 1st level spell.

Empower-2nd Level
You may cast Heroism as a 1st level spell.

2 Faith Abilities

Cleanse-5th Level
You may cast Dispel Magic as a 3rd level spell.

Holy Retort-2nd Level
You may cast Hellish Rebuke as a 1st level spell, dealing radiant damage instead of fire.

Null-5th Level
You may cast Counterspell as a 3rd level spell.

5 Faith Abilities

True Senses-5th Level
You may, while using your Puritanical Senses, have it last for one minute, and pinpoint the exact location of the creatures detected.

Shepherd-5th Level
You may cast Mass Healing Word as a 3rd level spell.

Revive-5th Level
You may cast Revivify as a 3rd level spell, ignoring its normal expense.

Immolate-5th Level
You may cast Fireball, centered on yourself, as a 3rd level spell.

Order
At level three, choose what holy Order you wish to be a part of. This choice grants you features at levels three, six, ten, and fifteen.

At levels four, eight, twelve, sixteen, and nineteen, you gain +2 to any one ability score, or +1 to any two.

Extra Attack
At level five, you may attack twice instead of once when you take the Attack action on your turn. At level seventeen, this improves to three times.

Exorcism
Also at level five, you may perform an Exorcism. Over the course of a ritual requiring an hour, you may cast Protection From Evil And Good, targeting a number of people equal to your proficiency bonus, instead of only one. Additionally, you may channel your faith as an action, once per short rest, into an immediate Exorcism, allowing one person within 60' to immediately make a new save against any effect that has Charmed or Frightened them.

Grace
At level seven, you gain proficiency in any one saving throw you do not already have proficiency in.

Least Martyr
At level nine, once per long rest, you may return from death itself. One hour after your death, Raise Dead is automatically cast upon you should your spirit wish it.

Radiance
At level eleven, you deal an additional 1d8 points of radiant damage on all attacks you make.

Improved Exorcism
Also at level eleven, your Exorcism improves. You may now extend the duration of your Protection to an hour (still requiring concentration, though), and anyone who gains the benefit of an Exorcism may also immediately make a save against any disease, poison, or curse afflicting them. Your immediate Exorcism may now target a number of people equal to your proficiency modifier as well.

Martyr
At level thirteen, your Martyr ability improves. You may either gain the effects of Raise Dead one hour after your death, or Revivify five rounds afterwards.

Serenity
At level fourteen, you add your Charisma modifier to all saves you make.

Greater Exorcism
At level seventeen, your Exorcism improves further. You may now extend the duration of your Protection to eight hours, and any saves made as a result of the Exorcism are made with advantage. Additionally, any saves made form your immediate Exorcism are also made with advantage.

True Martyr
At level eighteen, your Martyr ability improves further. You gain the benefits of True Resurrection on your body, any time within an hour after your death. If you choose to resurrect immediately and died in combat, you retain your initiative count. You may only gain this benefit once per long rest.

Living Saint
At level twenty, you are perfection of your faith incarnate. All your stats improve their current and maximum by 2, to a max of 30.

Our Martyred Lady

The Most Pious
At level three, your Faith Points maximum increases by your proficiency modifier.

Vengeance For The Fallen
At level six, you may add your proficiency modifier to your damage rolls, provided the damage is inflicted upon a creature that has directly harmed an ally of yours last round. If a creature kills one of your allies, you gain advantage on all attack rolls against them for one minute, and may add your proficiency bonus to any damage roll made against them in that time.

Faith Healing
At level ten, add your proficiency modifier to the result of any usage of Faith Points that heals yourself or another creature.

Protector
At level fifteen, you can use your Faith Points to shield yourself and others from harm. As an action, you may spend three faith points to give yourself and all allies within 30' THP equal to your proficiency modifier times your Charisma modifier. These THP last for ten minutes. You may also use this ability as a bonus action, but in that case, halve the THP granted.

Valorous Heart

Purity Of Faith
At level three, gain three HP. In addition, whenever you gain a level in this class, gain an additional HP.

Shielded In Faith
At level six, increase your AC by 1.

Aura Of Security
At level ten, as a reaction, you may reduce damage you or an ally within 10' takes by an amount equal to your proficiency modifier.

Undying
At level fifteen, when you start the turn with at least one HP but are below half your maximum total, you regain HP equal to your Charisma modifier plus your proficiency modifier.

Argent Shroud

Where I Am Needed...
At level three, you may Dash as a bonus action.

Sure Fire
At level six, you may ignore the effects of half and three-fourths cover.

Godspeed
At level ten, your base speed increases by 10'.

There I Shall Be
At level fifteen, you may, once per long rest, cast Teleport or Plane Shift (only targeting willing creatures).

Bloody Rose

Reckless Attack
At level three, you may choose to grant all attacks against you advantage till the start of your next turn, in order to gain advantage on any melee attacks you make until the start of your next turn.

Berserk
At level six, you may reduce your AC by any amount up to your proficiency modifier until the start of your next turn, in order to add that same amount to all damage rolls you make with melee weapons until the start of your next turn.

An Undying Passion
At level ten, you may fight on even after death. When dropped to zero HP, you may choose to stay conscious and continue fighting for up to one minute. You accrue death saves as normal, and die when you reach six failed death saves, or if a minute passes and you have not received any healing.

An Everburning Radiance
At level fifteen, your Radiance ability improves to 1d12 when using a melee weapon.

Composer99
2020-08-11, 08:38 AM
D&D warrior nuns? I dig it.

Pretty solid effort, as is your custom.

I do wonder about the following:

Armored In Faith
At level one, you may substitute your Charisma score for the purposes of wearing Heavy Armor without being slowed, or for your Dexterity modifier for AC when wearing Light or Medium Armor.

I think you left out a reference to Strength in the heavy armour clause?

Living Saint
At level twenty, you are perfection of your faith incarnate. All your stats improve their current and maximum by 2, to a max of 30.

I guess the new maximum is fine, although since up until this point the cap was 20, I don't see much need for it.

Our Martyred Lady

Vengeance For The Fallen
At level six, you may add your proficiency modifier to your damage rolls, provided the damage is inflicted upon a creature that has directly harmed an ally of yours last round. If a creature kills one of your allies, you gain advantage on all attack rolls against them for one minute, and may add your proficiency bonus to any damage roll made against them in that time.

This could be overpowered at 6th level?

Valorous Heart

Aura Of Security
At level ten, as a reaction, you may reduce damage you or an ally within 10' takes by an amount equal to your proficiency modifier.

This could be underpowered at 10th level? (Only a little bit, since you can use it every round if you want.)

Bloody Rose

Reckless Attack
At level three, you may choose to grant all attacks against you disadvantage till the start of your next turn, in order to gain advantage on any melee attacks you make until the start of your next turn.

Pretty sure attacks against you get advantage, right? ;)

Bloody Rose

Berserk
At level six, you may reduce your AC by any amount up to your proficiency modifier until the start of your next turn, in order to add that same amount to all damage rolls you make with melee weapons until the start of your next turn.

So, this is like Reckless Attack implemented a different way. I wonder if it would be better for this to be the 3rd level feature for this class, and come up with something else at 6th level? Maybe a bonus action effect of some kind?

JNAProductions
2020-08-11, 08:43 AM
First off, thank you for commenting!

Now, point by point...

Armored In Faith
Fixed.

Living Saint
The 30 cap is a "Just in case." In this case, just in case you found 5 Tomes for a stat you already had at 20. Normally, without magic items, it will increase your stats to a max of 22.

Vengeance For The Fallen
Can you explain how it'd be OP? It's +3 damage, which is better than a Barbarian's Rage Damage at this level, but you won't always be able to target the best target with it. If a foe is playing cagey, or just plain missed, you don't get the damage bonus.

Aura Of Security
What would you recommend to change it?

Reckless Attack
Ouch, major derp. Fixed!

Berserk
Any recommendations for what to do?

Yakk
2020-08-11, 09:15 AM
Subclasses:
Not enough let you do new things, they just provide mechanical bonuses.

Not enough provide out-of-combat features.

Lady:
More magic points.
More damage (also, familiar bait).
More healing
More magic

Heart:
More HP
More AC
An actual option, but a no-brainer
Self-regen, passive

Shroud:
An actual option
Overlaps with a feat you might already have, reduces penalty
More footspeed
An actual option!

Rose:
An actual option. More damage, less AC
An actual option. More damage, less AC
No brainer option
More damage

Main class:
Ditto, not enough out-of-combat features.

Extra Attack III has been verbotin in non-fighter classes. I'd question breaking that rule.

Faith
No choices, which seems like a missed opportunity.
No Faith options gained via subclasses, again missed opportunity.
Also, these progress as a full caster.

So the character is a limited spell list full caster with full martial progression and limited spell-point like slots.

Fighting Style
Why no dueling/twf?

And no shield proficiency.

Serenity
This should be later than level 14. As written, Paladin 6/Sororitas 14 has twice-charisma bonus to all saves, which seems broken.

---

Subclasses should have some active choice by level 6, ideally at level 3.

Classes and subclasses need some non-combat utility. How does this PC "fit" into the world? Not just "how they fight". The least flavorful class/subclass combinations are class-as-how-they-fight, subclass-is-also-how-they-fight.

Either the class or subclass should have a clear identity as "how they fit into the world". Which means that you should have a paragraph of description for that, and then base the class or subclass abilities off of that. This helps prevent the class/subclass from being a pile of glued-together combat features.

Sometimes only one of the two has a "how they fit in the world" (most wizard subclasses lack it), sometimes neither, but it is best if both do.

JNAProductions
2020-08-11, 09:23 AM
Do you have any suggestions for out of combat features?

And I'm not overly worried about a level 20 PC having great saves. That's probably influenced by my ideals as a DM, which is that it's better to have tanky PCs than glass cannon PCs, since it makes combats last longer and have more depth, rather than being an initiative roll-off.

Yakk
2020-08-11, 10:48 AM
I'm saying just swap 14 and 15 to remove that "save singularity". (I've done a bunch of save-boosting on non-paladin homebrew to reinforce the back-10 of non-casters, and that is one of the rules I follow: large save "veto sized" bonuses happen at 15 or later).

---

To figure out non-combat features, we need to describe how they fit in the world. Googling Sororitas I get warhammer stuff, which is pretty combat-centric, so might not provide much inspiration.

It also reminds me of the Warrior Nun show on netflix to some extent.

---

So what are Sororitas. What makes them, story-wise, different than a Paladin or Cleric or Monk? (not mechanics-wise, story-wise) How do you become a Sororitas? What is the purpose of the Sororitas orders in the world? Who funds them? What service to they provide?

Composer99
2020-08-11, 11:09 AM
Vengeance For The Fallen
Can you explain how it'd be OP? It's +3 damage, which is better than a Barbarian's Rage Damage at this level, but you won't always be able to target the best target with it. If a foe is playing cagey, or just plain missed, you don't get the damage bonus.

Well, I would have hoped the question mark and "could be" wording emphasised that I wasn't certain. :smalltongue:

Since you mention a barbarian's rage damage, that's a decent comparison. At 6th level, a barbarian gets +2 damage on melee weapon attacks using Strength, for a maximum of four minutes (40 rounds) per day. In practice most combats won't last that long. Let's assume 1 combat per rage lasting 4 rounds, so a reasonable limit of 16 rounds of rage combat in an adventuring day.

A berserker barbarian (who is willing to bear the burden of exhaustion), TWF barbarian, or GWM/PAM barbarian has three such attacks per turn (except on the turn they rage, since that costs a bonus action), while others have two. They'll get reaction attacks some of the time. Let's assume half of each potential round of rage combat.
- A barbarian without a bonus action attack gets 8 rounds of 2 attacks and 8 rounds of 3 attacks (when they get a reaction attack)
- A barbarian with a bonus action gets 2 rounds of 2 attacks, 2 rounds of 3 attacks (when they get a reaction attack), 6 rounds of 3 attacks (when they get a bonus action attack but not a reaction attack), and 6 rounds of 4 attacks (when they get both)

That's 80 to 104 extra damage, assuming all attacks hit (which, in fairness, they won't).

A 6th-level sororitas can get a similar number of attacks in a turn, and is not limited to raging, but rather to "a creature harmed an ally of mine" - which, sure, yes, your ideal target might be ineligible, but chances are good one or more enemies harmed an ally of yours since the end of your previous turn. Also, there's no restriction on what sort of damage rolls: melee weapon attacks, ranged weapon attacks, spells - they all work. I think it's unlikely that, in most combats, there'd be a complete lack of eligible targets.

For simplicity's sake, I'm going to leave out reaction attacks, and assume the sororitas doesn't get this benefit on the first round of each combat.

So, in four 4-round combats, the sororitas gets three rounds with 2 or 3 attacks benefiting from this feature. Assuming all hits, that's 72 to 108 extra damage. That looks about even. But it can start piling up in the sororitas' favour:
- If there are more combats, the sororitas can keep stacking damage while the barbarian can't
- If the sororitas gets to benefit from this feature on the first round
- If the sororitas gets to use this feature on reactions

At least until 20th level, the discrepancy is going to expand in the sororitas' favour with the faster scaling of proficiency bonus compared to rage damage and the additional attack the sororitas gets at 17th level. Not even the barbarian's at-will raging will at 20th will even things out because of the rage damage cap versus proficiency bonus at that level.

It might be worth seeing how this compares to other classes' damage boosts, but that's about as much work as I'm willing to put in for the time being.

Aura Of Security
What would you recommend to change it?

So, now I'm thinking about this a bit more, it seems to me that it's competing with reactions that let you attack - opportunity attacks and, if you have it, the mage slayer feat, for instance. It's also competing with your holy retort faith power.

Relative to those, "reduce damage by up to 6" has a hard time competing.

Perhaps you can activate this feature as a bonus action on your turn, choosing yourself or a creature within 10 feet of you. Each time the chosen creature takes damage until the start of your next turn, it reduces the damage taken by an amount equal to your proficiency bonus.

Berserk
Any recommendations for what to do?

Not really sure. Advantage on Strength ability checks and saving throws? Expertise with Athletics? Proficiency with Constitution saving throws? Something that emphasises that the Bloody Rose is a tough mo-fo.

Brother Oni
2020-08-11, 11:18 AM
To figure out non-combat features, we need to describe how they fit in the world. Googling Sororitas I get warhammer stuff, which is pretty combat-centric, so might not provide much inspiration.

In 40K, the Adepta Sororitas are a legal loophole in the rules restricting the Church from having a standing army as they cannot have 'men under arms'.

Since most D&D settings are more gender-equal than 40K, maybe flavour the Sororitas as a paladin offshoot, although as their more militant arm.

Alternately, given that Spare the Dying has effectively no limitations per day, you could set them up as a paladin version of the USAF Pararescue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Pararescue), the elite who go in and get other elite special forces troops out of trouble (the process to become a parajumper is known informally as 'Superman school', runs for 2 years and has an 80% attrition rate, the highest in the US military).

With minimal refluffing, you could basically port the Pararescueman's Creed, although it does change the tone of the class from 'militant warrior nun' to 'elite religious paramedic'.

Amechra
2020-08-11, 03:56 PM
My only real concern is that Armored In Faith is a very tempting feature to dip for, for a lot of the same reasons as Hex Warrior.

Actually, I just took another look at Martyr. True Martyr is a little excessive, even for a higher level feature - it effectively makes killing you entirely pointless.

JNAProductions
2020-08-11, 05:54 PM
My only real concern is that Armored In Faith is a very tempting feature to dip for, for a lot of the same reasons as Hex Warrior.

Actually, I just took another look at Martyr. True Martyr is a little excessive, even for a higher level feature - it effectively makes killing you entirely pointless.

They have to kill you twice in a day, and it doesn't reset Faith Points or anything, but yeah. Full restore of HP. Any ideas with something to swap it to?

Vengeance For The Fallen, perhaps just drop it to half-prof?

And Aura Of Security as a BA, lasting for the round, feels a little too good to me.

JNAProductions
2020-08-11, 09:31 PM
Changed "Armored In Faith" to only replace Strength, not Dexterity.

sandmote
2020-08-11, 09:55 PM
They have to kill you twice in a day, and it doesn't reset Faith Points or anything, but yeah. Full restore of HP. Any ideas with something to swap it to?

I'd at least specify that you can only do it once per long rest. Although given 5e formatting, it should probably be listed as "Martyr"at 9th level, and "Marty Improvement" at 18th, with you just writing out something like "you can gain the effect of the spell early" rather than formatted as a separate class feature.

My knowledge of 40k is weak, but would it fit the sisters to get features for recognizing fiends and/or aberrations, as well as for spotting if someone is charmed (or otherwise mind controlled)? That could be a reasonable out of combat niche, assuming you aren't planning to restrict it specifically to the witch hunters proper.

JNAProductions
2020-08-11, 10:03 PM
I'd at least specify that you can only do it once per long rest. Although given 5e formatting, it should probably be listed as "Martyr"at 9th level, and "Marty Improvement" at 18th, with you just writing out something like "you can gain the effect of the spell early" rather than formatted as a separate class feature.

My knowledge of 40k is weak, but would it fit the sisters to get features for recognizing fiends and/or aberrations, as well as for spotting if someone is charmed (or otherwise mind controlled)? That could be a reasonable out of combat niche, assuming you aren't planning to restrict it specifically to the witch hunters proper.

Did I... Did I forget to make that once per long rest?

*Checks post.*

Gadzooks, I did! Yeah, no, unlimited Martyrdom is ridiculous! Let me go fix that.

I could give them a Divine Sense analogue, yeah.

Amechra
2020-08-11, 10:53 PM
Another thing - is there any particular reason that they get Fighting Style at 1st level like a Fighter, instead of at 2nd level like a Ranger or Paladin? Faith isn't that large of a feature, especially in comparison with Smite + Spellcasting.

If you give them Divine Sense, they could get Armored in Faith + Divine Sense at 1st level, with Faith + Fighting Style coming in at 2nd level.

---

After another look (my previous look was rushed), I'm a little less happy with what I'm seeing.

You know, I'm not actually sure what the Sororitas playstyle would look like, in all honesty. They kinda look like a Paladin with a smaller HD with a very restricted spell list that can't smite? While they do get some really thematic defensive features, almost all of them are passive, and they tend to just be boosts to numbers at that.

Yakk
2020-08-12, 08:34 AM
Your spells known progression stops at level 5.

Armored by Faith is dip-bait for a SAD Hexadin. Hex 1/Soro 1 gives you full SAD cha (plate and weapon attacks), Hex 3 if you want 2 handed weapons.

Consider moving Armored by Faith and Heavy Armor prof up to a subclass; only some of them will want heavy armor. And making do with medium armor before 3 is acceptable.

Fighting Style 1 is a fighter thing. Have something else there. Ditto for extra attack (3).

Your back 10 is mostly more faith points and better self-rez. Nothing new to do.

And, again, you need a better story than "rip off of warhammer warrior nuns".

I mean, take the netflix "warrior nun" TV show. Here, "warrior nuns" have an angel's halo grafted onto their back, and gain supernatural gifts as they learn to use it. They can see otherwise invisible demons, and hunt them, while protecting the halo. They can walk through solid objects, heal fast, and are stronger than they should be.

That isn't much, but it is something to work with.

noob
2020-08-12, 09:48 AM
And, again, you need a better story than "rip off of warhammer warrior nuns".

If it is meant to represent a warhammer 40k nun in d20 rules why would it have a story that is not the one of the warhammer 40k ones?

If they wanted to make a class that is not meant to be a representation of warhammer 40k nuns then they would have written a class introduction.
It is a legitimate thing to decide "I am going to play in the warhammer 40k universe with d20 rules"
If you want alternative fluff for adapting to your setting then it is likely up to you to do that because you know your own setting better than the average.

JNAProductions
2020-08-12, 10:22 AM
Yeah, it's based on 40k Adeptus Sororitas.

Amechra, thanks for the advice. Would it be too much to let them use their Divine Sense analogue at-will, or should I keep it limited?

Also, I might add an Exorcism feature. Not 100% sure what that'd entail, but hey.

Amechra
2020-08-12, 10:51 AM
Yeah, it's based on 40k Adeptus Sororitas.

Amechra, thanks for the advice. Would it be too much to let them use their Divine Sense analogue at-will, or should I keep it limited?

Also, I might add an Exorcism feature. Not 100% sure what that'd entail, but hey.

I'd make it at-will, personally. And Exorcism could be all about booting out "foreign influences". So it'd start off with removing Charmed and Frightened, and then would eventually scale up to removing disease, poison, and curses. And, obviously, it'd let you kick possessing creatures out of people's bodies.

JNAProductions
2020-08-12, 11:03 AM
Added...

Puritanical Senses.
Two new Faith abilities relating to that (one at 1 FP, one at 5).
Exorcism (level 5), Improved Exorcism (11), and Greater Exorcism (17).

noob
2020-08-13, 03:54 AM
Immolate seems risky to use since you take the damage right?
Also should exorcism fall in the faith abilities to streamline a bit your class abilities (right now the active abilities are spread in two places and with multiple use guides)?

JNAProductions
2020-08-13, 09:10 AM
Immolate seems risky to use since you take the damage right?
Also should exorcism fall in the faith abilities to streamline a bit your class abilities (right now the active abilities are spread in two places and with multiple use guides)?

Yes. It is risky. That's half the point.

Exorcism does not use Faith Points, so I don't see why it'd be better to put it under them.

Red Fel
2020-08-13, 09:41 AM
Question about one of the Our Martyred Lady features, namely Protector. The ability says, "reduce the cost of any usage of Faith Points that heals yourself or another creature by one, to a minimum of one Faith Point spent." In other words, this feature only benefits abilities that cost 2 or 5 Faith Points, as those which cost less see no benefit.

But the thing is... there's only one (maybe two?) ability that actually "heals yourself or another creature." For 2 Faith Points, neither Cleanse, Holy Retort, nor Null heal yourself or an ally. For 5, True Senses and Immolate do not. Shepherd certainly does, but I'm not sure whether Revive does. (Does bringing a creature back to life with 1 HP count as healing them? Maybe?)

So, basically, the Protector feature reads: "At level 15, your Shepherd ability costs 4 Faith Points instead of 5." Is that intentional?

Unless I'm forgetting some ability that allows you to self-heal when using certain spells or abilities, like Counterspelling? I don't recall. Would that trigger Protector?

JNAProductions
2020-08-13, 10:08 AM
Question about one of the Our Martyred Lady features, namely Protector. The ability says, "reduce the cost of any usage of Faith Points that heals yourself or another creature by one, to a minimum of one Faith Point spent." In other words, this feature only benefits abilities that cost 2 or 5 Faith Points, as those which cost less see no benefit.

But the thing is... there's only one (maybe two?) ability that actually "heals yourself or another creature." For 2 Faith Points, neither Cleanse, Holy Retort, nor Null heal yourself or an ally. For 5, True Senses and Immolate do not. Shepherd certainly does, but I'm not sure whether Revive does. (Does bringing a creature back to life with 1 HP count as healing them? Maybe?)

So, basically, the Protector feature reads: "At level 15, your Shepherd ability costs 4 Faith Points instead of 5." Is that intentional?

Unless I'm forgetting some ability that allows you to self-heal when using certain spells or abilities, like Counterspelling? I don't recall. Would that trigger Protector?

Hm. You have a point.

Any suggestions for something to replace said feature with?

Red Fel
2020-08-15, 09:20 AM
Hm. You have a point.

Any suggestions for something to replace said feature with?

What if you added a sort of tiered Lay on Hands feature? Say, at A level, as an action, recover B of target's HP with a touch for 1 Faith Point. At A+5 level, you may instead recover 2B of target's HP for 2 Faith Points. At A+10, 3B HP for 3 Faith Points.

If that's a base class feature, then it constitutes a "usage of Faith Points that heals yourself or another creature." Thus, when you get the Protector ability, it reduces the cost of the higher-level versions of by 1, making a base class feature more efficient to use. It's not as versatile as other Faith Point uses - it can't get rid of disease or dispel magic - but at higher levels, and only with the Protector ability, it becomes more efficient than Cure Wounds.

Alternatively, make it specific to Our Martyred Lady, and replace the Protector ability entirely with this Lay on Hands feature. Fact is, being able to pay 2 Faith Points for a flat, say, 10 HP is probably more reliable than 1 Faith Point for 1d8+Cha.

Or, allow the Cure ability to level up with Faith Point usage. So, I don't know, add 2 Faith Points to the cost to cast it as a higher-level spell. For every 2 added, increase the spell level (1 Faith Point for 1, 3 for 2, 5 for 3, etc.) accordingly. Make this unique to Our Martyred Lady.

Ooh, or here's an idea. Make Protector actually a Protector - spend Faith Points on a touch to grant temporary HP, basically an HP bubble, that lasts for a certain duration. So, you know, you're actually protecting the target from harm. And just increase the number of temp HP with levels.

JNAProductions
2020-08-15, 09:24 AM
Ooh, or here's an idea. Make Protector actually a Protector - spend Faith Points on a touch to grant temporary HP, basically an HP bubble, that lasts for a certain duration. So, you know, you're actually protecting the target from harm. And just increase the number of temp HP with levels.

Excellent idea, Red Fel! Implemented.