PDA

View Full Version : What Foods Have You Been Craving?

Palanan
2020-08-10, 09:56 PM
Today I was seized by a sudden craving for lime sherbet, of all things, which led me to discover how difficult it is to find in my local grocery stores. Along the way I also discovered that adding limeade to a vanilla milkshake does not remotely approximate lime sherbet.

Lime popsicles did the trick, but now I'm wondering what unexpected, oddball food cravings other people have. I don't mean favorites per se, but sudden, strange, intense yearnings that come out of nowhere and won't let you go.

understatement
2020-08-11, 01:28 AM
Beef pho, all of a sudden. I used to treat myself to it once or twice a month...the restaurant selling it nearby has closed, unfortunately.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-11, 04:05 AM
Cinnamon flavoured things. No apparent reason, just feel a need for cinnamon.

Peelee
2020-08-11, 09:25 AM
Pastrami sandwich from Katz's Deli in NYC.

Pizza from NYC.

The tongue stroganoff and borscht from this super shady Russian restaurant and bathhouse in NYC.

Basically every restaurant I went to when we visited NYC.

Kid Jake
2020-08-15, 01:22 PM
Orange cream soda. One place in town used to carry it and they stopped years ago.

sktarq
2020-08-15, 01:27 PM
Boar.....

preferably Boar cheek.

Though I could go for a nice stuffed beefheart too....but that kind needs a few more people than I want to get together in COVID and I don't think the place where I order my organ meats are doing that in these unfortunate times.

ZmagicAlate
2020-08-16, 12:04 PM
I have been craving for spicy cheetos recently, I just can't get enough of them.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-17, 04:46 PM
Gonna be basic and say chocolate,. Like.. Really very dark chocolate.

The Fury
2020-08-17, 05:16 PM
I've been wanting to eat doughnuts. Some good quality doughnuts, not the low-grade supermarket stuff.

I'd settle for Krispy Kreme, but that's not I'd really want.

Peelee
2020-08-17, 05:19 PM
I've been wanting to eat doughnuts. Some good quality doughnuts, not the low-grade supermarket stuff.

I'd settle for Krispy Kreme, but that's not I'd really want.

Since when is Krispy Kreme "settling"?

I say as I start to think that I don't have very much doughnut experience, really.

The Fury
2020-08-17, 05:38 PM
Since when is Krispy Kreme "settling"?

I say as I start to think that I don't have very much doughnut experience, really.

In my area, there are better options than Krispy Kreme. Mostly the smaller, local doughnut shops. If you time it well enough, you can get better doughnuts at supermarkets if you know the right ones.

In fact, for all its notoriety I was actually kind of disappointed when I had Krispy Kreme for the first time. Blame the hype, I guess.

I do admit to being kind of a doughnut snob.

tyckspoon
2020-08-17, 06:48 PM
In my area, there are better options than Krispy Kreme. Mostly the smaller, local doughnut shops. If you time it well enough, you can get better doughnuts at supermarkets if you know the right ones.

In fact, for all its notoriety I was actually kind of disappointed when I had Krispy Kreme for the first time. Blame the hype, I guess.

I do admit to being kind of a doughnut snob.

Krispy Kreme made most of its rep on its physical locations where you could get a a fresh doughnut nearly right off the cook line, I think. The kind of basic glazed yeast doughnut that is your standard Krispy Kreme is a lot like french fries - they're AMAZING when they're hot, fresh out of the fryer/oven, and still warm enough to keep the glaze mostly liquid. But as soon as you start letting them cool they lose quality more rapidly than most foods. The glaze settles and gets weirdly thick in uneven places, the air pockets collapse and the doughnut goes from being this light puff of air with a pastry shell to getting just kind of.. well, doughy, and it's all around just not an inspiring experience any more. If you leave them too long they start staling in really obvious ways; if you have to get older cooled doughnuts off a display case, practically every other style of doughnut holds up better than the basic yeast-risen one.

Which is to say I don't think there's anything particularly outstanding about Krispy Kreme's recipe or their baking - they were just the chain that introduced a lot of people to properly fresh hot doughnuts with their 'FRESH HOT' sign gimmick letting the public know when a batch was up, rather than ones that inevitably lose their best qualities no matter how good the baker is unless you happen to know just when they get a tray done.

Knaight
2020-08-18, 12:01 AM
I ran out of all things that contain any sugar whatsoever (including fruit) about two weeks ago, and have been missing it a bit.

Razade
2020-08-18, 05:50 AM
Krispy Kreme made most of its rep on its physical locations where you could get a a fresh doughnut nearly right off the cook line, I think. The kind of basic glazed yeast doughnut that is your standard Krispy Kreme is a lot like french fries - they're AMAZING when they're hot, fresh out of the fryer/oven, and still warm enough to keep the glaze mostly liquid. But as soon as you start letting them cool they lose quality more rapidly than most foods. The glaze settles and gets weirdly thick in uneven places, the air pockets collapse and the doughnut goes from being this light puff of air with a pastry shell to getting just kind of.. well, doughy, and it's all around just not an inspiring experience any more. If you leave them too long they start staling in really obvious ways; if you have to get older cooled doughnuts off a display case, practically every other style of doughnut holds up better than the basic yeast-risen one.

Which is to say I don't think there's anything particularly outstanding about Krispy Kreme's recipe or their baking - they were just the chain that introduced a lot of people to properly fresh hot doughnuts with their 'FRESH HOT' sign gimmick letting the public know when a batch was up, rather than ones that inevitably lose their best qualities no matter how good the baker is unless you happen to know just when they get a tray done.

I'll take a Krispy Kreme raspberry filled doughnut cold and stale over pretty much any other doughnut I've had. Like Entenmann's or your standard standing in the air grocery store bakery doughnut is any better.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-18, 04:23 PM
Been craving bread lately.. I used to make a lot of it myself, but recently (as of a few months ago) it's kinda got a bad association, memory-wise, and I haven't really had the time, nor brought myself to actually make any.. ehh maybe this weekend.. (Which is next weekend to all of you americans... (and other countries behind nz))

Tempist
2020-08-20, 05:42 AM
It's always burgers for me. Well, that or thai food. :P

Mister Biffo
2020-08-20, 12:22 PM
Pork sausages!