PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Trickery Domain Cleric help request

hitchhike79
2020-08-10, 11:14 PM
Im starting a 1-10 campaign in the Storm Kings Thunder.

Our group has a Ranger, Rogue, (tank undecided), Wild Magic Sorc and me the cleric.
Being the cleric i wanted to have some fun so ill be a Trickery Domain Cleric.... i know i know "they suck"

I want to change that up though, i'm going to be a very serious Deep Gnome Cleric on a search for adventurers on the surface.
I need to find an army to come into the Underdark to help defeat a demon holed up close to a very rich vein of gems we have found down deep.

The Trickery domain isn't tricks so much in the Underdark as it is tools to survive.
I guide people in and around the Underdark and i even keep the foolish surface folk alive in the dark.

That being said i've played a few clerics but this one confused me how best to set stats and be effective in combat early before good spells come along.

We rolled for stats and this is where i am right now after race modifiers;

Str: 14
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int: 11
Wis: 16
Cha: 11

I think i want to swap Str and Cha to help convince people to come help. My issue is early on i wont be able to help much in the damage dept/being able to hit with such low Str.
I guess it doesn't matter early as much as later i wont use Str at all but for saving throws and ability checks?

Studded Leather Armor, Shield and Javelins for Melee/ranged when needed.
Proficency: Perception, Insight, Stealth, Persuasion

Anyways, this guy is far from an optimized class/race but it think will be very fun RP and very useful in combat beyond just heals.

I don't think multiclass is needed with only 10lvls btw

Let me know what you think.

Thank you

OldTrees1
2020-08-10, 11:28 PM
Trickery Domain Cleric.... i know i know "they suck"
Actually, go look at their domain spells. Those are some impressive free spells.

That being said i've played a few clerics but this one confused me how best to set stats and be effective in combat early before good spells come along.

We rolled for stats and this is where i am right now after race modifiers;

Str: 14
Dex: 15
Con: 14
Int: 11
Wis: 16
Cha: 11

Oh nice. 16 Wis, 14 in Str/Dex, 14 Con. That is a nice versatile setup. Swapping Str for Cha will affect your weapon choices but that is not a bad thing. Using Sacred Flame in combat is reasonable. You also have the option to used ranged/finesse weapons.

You have a competent and interesting character.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-08-10, 11:49 PM
At the risk of re-starting a debate on a recent thread, I'll disagree that they suck and suggest you lean into that spell list and assign your abilities accordingly.

hitchhike79
2020-08-10, 11:58 PM
“They suck”

It was sarcasm and going with what everyone keeps posting about the domain.... jokes people. Trickery....
I think it’s a fun/strong idea for a cleric, that’s why I went with it.

Satori01
2020-08-11, 12:27 AM
My only suggestion would be to change the gnome sub race to Forrest gnome. Instead of searching for help, you can be the help arriving...you and your group...only the group may not know that yet.

I suggest that only because having the Minor Illusion cantrip will be worth it, and works with the character theme.

I would dump stat STR. Use a dagger and short bow, and Toll the Dead.

If feats are allowed take the Fade Away Feat at 4th level.
Fade Away and Cloak of Shadows are two ways to get a limited Invisibility effect that does not cost Concentration and recharge on a Short Rest.

Since there is a ranger in your group, you might consider asking your DM if you can swap Pass Without Trace for Shadow Blade.

Evaar
2020-08-11, 02:00 PM
Regardless of how bad Trickery is or is not, Cleric is just a strong chassis. You're missing out on one or two nice things that other Clerics get (potent spellcasting for instance) but you are still a Cleric. You still have Spirit Guardians, for instance.

Do basic Cleric stuff. Guidance, Toll The Dead, Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapon. Look for opportunities to mislead enemies with your duplicate; watch the Thor movies and what Loki does with his duplicate image for some ideas. Or even certain Star Wars movies. If you present your duplicate as a lone target, you can potentially draw attention and attacks while letting others safely slip by. If that happens to be something like a breath weapon attack from a dragon, you've mitigated a lot of damage in that gambit.

And of course, polymorph.

jaappleton
2020-08-11, 02:02 PM
If you were a High Elf to steal a Wizard cantrip, like Booming Blade, and you combined that with your channel divinity for Invoke Duplicity, could you give yourself Advantage? That'd work, right?

NaughtyTiger
2020-08-11, 02:05 PM
Spend a few moments with the DM to discuss Invoke Duplicity

Can you move it to float 30ft in the air?
Does it make sound?
Will enemies say... hey, it's a bad guy and attack it? how many times til they realize it's an illusion, not immortal?
Does it mimick your movement (feet move while YOU are walking) or does it do it's own thing (its feet move when it's moving...)

hitchhike79
2020-08-11, 02:14 PM
Spend a few moments with the DM to discuss Invoke Duplicity

Can you move it to float 30ft in the air?
Does it make sound?
Will enemies say... hey, it's a bad guy and attack it? how many times til they realize it's an illusion, not immortal?
Does it mimick your movement (feet move while YOU are walking) or does it do it's own thing (its feet move when it's moving...)

I dont know why but i just had this thought of Thriller and my duplicate doing all my moves.

I think i will try and see if i can get the duplicate to do a moonwalk to taunt the enemy at some point.

Evaar
2020-08-11, 02:25 PM
If you were a High Elf to steal a Wizard cantrip, like Booming Blade, and you combined that with your channel divinity for Invoke Duplicity, could you give yourself Advantage? That'd work, right?

It would. I'm not sure it's worth the investment, but it works.

Keep in mind Trickster does get "Divine Strike," seeming to push them towards melee, but it does poison damage. You're probably best off setting melee aside as a last resort option, rather than trying to build for it.

What is handy about the duplicate is that you can cast spells from its space - so Touch spells (Bestow Curse), spells with limited range (Blindness/Deafness) or, by my reading, Spirit Guardians can be cast from relative safety while still positioning the spell optimally. That's the aspect of the character I'd choose to lean into.

hitchhike79
2020-08-11, 02:27 PM
My only suggestion would be to change the gnome sub race to Forrest gnome. Instead of searching for help, you can be the help arriving...you and your group...only the group may not know that yet.

I suggest that only because having the Minor Illusion cantrip will be worth it, and works with the character theme.

I would dump stat STR. Use a dagger and short bow, and Toll the Dead.

If feats are allowed take the Fade Away Feat at 4th level.
Fade Away and Cloak of Shadows are two ways to get a limited Invisibility effect that does not cost Concentration and recharge on a Short Rest.

Since there is a ranger in your group, you might consider asking your DM if you can swap Pass Without Trace for Shadow Blade.

Yea i really struggled with the race esp because its very sub optimal with some overlap even with the deep gnome race feat.
Session 0 is tonight, ill def have to think this over.

Thank you

hitchhike79
2020-08-11, 02:32 PM
Regardless of how bad Trickery is or is not, Cleric is just a strong chassis. You're missing out on one or two nice things that other Clerics get (potent spellcasting for instance) but you are still a Cleric. You still have Spirit Guardians, for instance.

Do basic Cleric stuff. Guidance, Toll The Dead, Spirit Guardians, Spiritual Weapon. Look for opportunities to mislead enemies with your duplicate; watch the Thor movies and what Loki does with his duplicate image for some ideas. Or even certain Star Wars movies. If you present your duplicate as a lone target, you can potentially draw attention and attacks while letting others safely slip by. If that happens to be something like a breath weapon attack from a dragon, you've mitigated a lot of damage in that gambit.

And of course, polymorph.

Yea this is exactly why i like the idea of the class.
Tons of thoughtful ways to use its skill set along with most of the normal cleric stuff.
I plan on staying way back from combat and letting the duplicate do work when needed.

And yes of course Polymorph ;)
Even if i only use it in the last fight of the campaign it will be worth it.

thanks

hitchhike79
2020-08-11, 10:57 PM
Last question, go with chain shirt or stick with studded armor?

The stealth disadvantage seems pretty big to me, but the decent bump in AC seems good as well

Satori01
2020-08-11, 11:53 PM
If your DEX was higher I would say Studded Leather and Shield works fine.

Shield of Faith will help, but Concentration will prevent both Shield of Faith and the Perfect Illusion from Invoke Duplicity from co-exsisting.

The Perfect Illusion is very versatile so being at a distance is viable. Eventually, though, you are going to want to hit someone with an Inflict Wounds spell and Advantage, which means getting into CQC.

Luckily, that is where Mirror Image comes into play.
Having the Perfect Illusion deployed, using a Mirror Image defense shield and getting Advantage to Spiritual Weapon attacks, and weapon attacks or Inflict Wounds to hit rolls is great fun. It is also a boatload of resources, but doable at 3rd level.
Getting the Fade Way feat makes Illusion tanking, even better.

You can get by with Studded and a Shield, but you are going to delay your WIS advancement by getting your DEX to at least 16.
The Fade Away Feat is going to amazing for this character.