PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Barbarian: Path of the Open Plains

Rerem115
2020-08-11, 05:59 PM
I heard something about people wanting a mounted/horse archer Barbarian, and I'm here to provide. My thoughts at each level will be in italics.

Path of the Open Plains

Bonus Proficiency
When you choose this primal path at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in one of the following skills your choice: Animal Handling, Nature, Perception, Stealth, or Survival. Alternatively, you learn one language of your choice.

Natural Rider
Starting at 3rd level, your mastery as a rider becomes apparent. You have advantage on saving throws made to avoid falling off your mount. If you fall off your mount and descend no more than 10 feet, you can land on your feet if you’re not incapacitated.

Finally, mounting or dismounting a creature costs you only 5 feet of movement, rather than half your speed.

Savage Marksmanship
While Raging, you can make ranged weapon attacks using Strength instead of Dexterity. Ranged weapon attacks using Strength count as melee weapon attacks for the purpose of your Barbarian class features.

This is the level that defines the subclass. They're best when they're mounted and using a bow, but even if they're not, they're still skilled at living off the land.

Tireless Wanderer
Starting at 6th level, you can't get lost except by magical means. Additionally, while traveling, you and up to 10 allies and their mounts can go twice as long before incurring Forced March penalties.

This is the ribbon level. Steppes are big, and it takes plenty of time to get anywhere. This lets you put your skills to use and outmaneuver opposing forces.

Skirmishing Tactics
At 10th level, you gain one of the following features of your choice:

Volley--You can use your action to make a ranged attack against any number of creatures within 10 feet of a point you can see within your weapon’s range. You must have ammunition for each target, as normal, and you make a separate attack roll for each target
Momentous Strikes--When you move at least 20 feet in a straight line towards a creature and hit it with a weapon attack, it takes extra damage equal to the weapon's damage die.

This one was tough. I wanted something to reflect the dichotomy of weakening a group of foes or closing in for the kill, but it's not set in stone.

Unerring Warrior
When you miss an attack, you can use your reaction to reroll it, potentially causing it to hit.

Again, this one was hard. It's a bit bland for my taste, but it does match the theme of a peerless, brutal attacker.