PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Summoned spiders

haplot
2020-08-12, 06:07 AM
With the summon monster spells, you can summon spiders, which can spit webs.

Somewhere in one of the books, I'm sure there was a wording of the rules that meant the web the spider spits sticks around after the summon ends.

Can someone please help me out and tell me if I'm either mis remembering or give me a page refence of the book please?

many thanks

Psyren
2020-08-12, 09:20 AM
The only line I'm aware of relates to spells:

When the spell that summoned a creature ends and the creature disappears, all the spells it has cast expire.

As the "Web (Ex)" ability is not a spell, presumably this line doesn't apply and the web sticks around.

haplot
2020-08-12, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the reply

Thats what I was looking for. Unfortunately I need a rule that says that either the web sticks around or it doesn't in a definitive sense.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

Psyren
2020-08-12, 11:47 AM
Thanks for the reply

Thats what I was looking for. Unfortunately I need a rule that says that either the web sticks around or it doesn't in a definitive sense.

Thanks for getting back to me though.

I don't think there is one.

Even if your GM (or you if that's you) rules that it sticks around though, it's not gamebreaking - even your most powerful summoned spider is going to have hit dice (and therefore a web) notably weaker than anything you'd be fighting with it.

haplot
2020-08-12, 12:24 PM
thanks for reply

i was kinda hoping for a page reference, but thats obviously a no go.

Hope you all have a good one !

Khedrac
2020-08-12, 01:45 PM
From the section of the SRD referring to Schools of Magic you get the following:

Summoning: A summoning spell instantly brings a creature or object to a place you designate. When the spell ends or is dispelled, a summoned creature is instantly sent back to where it came from, but a summoned object is not sent back unless the spell description specifically indicates this. A summoned creature also goes away if it is killed or if its hit points drop to 0 or lower. It is not really dead. It takes 24 hours for the creature to reform, during which time it can’t be summoned again.
It's not perfect, but I would say that the webbing (once expelled from the body) counts as an object.

PHB p173 is the book reference.

aglondier
2020-08-13, 03:53 AM
Sooo...crafting giant spider silk ropes from summoned giant celestial spiders expelled webbing?

Thurbane
2020-08-13, 07:01 PM
I can't find a citation right at the moment, but I know you can't harvest body parts from summoned monsters, since they disappear at the end of the summoning.

It all depends on whether the DM feels the webs are still part of the spider's body, or once launched/spun, a completely separate and discrete object.

haplot
2020-08-18, 02:22 PM
Cheers. much appreciated.

Would have answered sooner had i had access to my computer :sigh: