PDA

View Full Version : Low level class to play with great scores

Bobthewizard
2020-08-12, 05:29 PM
What MAD class or multi-class you would play if you had great stats. I rolled 17,16,16,15,14,10 and would like to take advantage of it. We start at level 3 and will level up slowly so it needs to be good at levels 3-5. It's set in Ravnica if that matters.

So far, I'm considering a wood-elf monk or a half-orc barbarian. Maybe bladesinger, swords bard or non-hexblade pact of the blade?

JNAProductions
2020-08-12, 05:30 PM
What MAD class or multi-class you would play if you had great stats. I rolled 17,16,16,15,14,10 and would like to take advantage of it. We start at level 3 and will level up slowly so it needs to be good at levels 3-5. It's set in Ravnica if that matters.

So far, I'm considering a wood-elf monk or a half-orc barbarian. Maybe bladesinger, swords bard or non-hexblade pact of the blade?

Anything with Unarmored Defense is a good pick.

But honestly? Standard array is enough for basically any class, so you can just go nuts. Maybe a Monk/Paladin (if your DM lets you smite with your fists)?

Valmark
2020-08-12, 05:42 PM
Don't forget paladin with Constitution, Charisma and either of Strenght or Dexterity!

If you have no paladin that aura is pretty good.

Something funny could be Fighter 11/Barbarian 9 (so three attacks as a base with +3 from rage each) taken more or less homewever you want it. Pick Samurai and Bear Totem for added survival. (Note- I never tried it. Yet.

Or make a Wizard/Sorcerer- you have the rolls to get four attributes up anyway. Or any other full caster multiclass that has two casting attributes.

HPisBS
2020-08-12, 05:49 PM
What MAD class or multi-class you would play if you had great stats. I rolled 17,16,16,15,14,10 and would like to take advantage of it.

Monk is a great pick. You could even multiclass into something else with your extra 16 or 15 and be competent with that, too. If I rolled like that, I might try to build a gish like Gandalf (unarmored dual-wielding caster).

Edit:

Monk 1 / War Wizard 10 with 20 Dex & 20 Wis gets you 22 base AC so long as you're concentrating on a spell. Reaction to bump that to 24 against one attack for free, or 27 against all attacks for the round with Shield. If that concentration spell is Haste on yourself, it becomes 24 → 26 / 29 AC. At Monk 2, you'd get to also give enemies disadvantage against your < 29 AC for two rounds per short rest.

It doesn't get much better than that.

diplomancer
2020-08-12, 06:15 PM
A stout halfling barbarian with Str 16, Dex 18, Con 18, with 20 AC naked with a shield, would be fun.

HPisBS
2020-08-19, 05:44 PM

So what'd you go with?

Bobthewizard
2020-08-19, 05:48 PM
A stout halfling barbarian with Str 16, Dex 18, Con 18, with 20 AC naked with a shield, would be fun.

So what'd you go with?

Diplomancer's intrigued me the most but I changed it to a goblin. So Str 16, Dex 18, Con 18, with 20 AC naked goblin barbarian. The DM gave us max HP through level 3 so I thought a barbarian would take advantage of that better than a monk.

Thanks for all of the replies everyone. If everyone has any more ideas, I'd love to hear them in case I roll well again in the future.

Naanomi
2020-08-19, 06:07 PM
Changeling Charisma-Caster to start with 20 CHA?

Chugger
2020-08-19, 08:21 PM
Sorcadin is amazing.

Edea
2020-08-19, 08:35 PM
Is the DM allowing feats? Your stats are so high you're probably not going to need the ASI at 4th, so that might affect the class chosen.

Bobthewizard
2020-08-20, 07:16 AM
Changeling Charisma-Caster to start with 20 CHA?

Sorcadin is amazing.

I've played both of these and they are good suggestions, but I think they'd be better in a higher level campaign. This one likely won't get past level 5.

Is the DM allowing feats? Your stats are so high you're probably not going to need the ASI at 4th, so that might affect the class chosen.

Yes. Feats are allowed. What would that make you want to play?

Edea
2020-08-20, 11:36 AM
Yes. Feats are allowed. What would that make you want to play?

Probably a Variant Human Rogue (Str 10/Dex (17->18)/Con 16/Int (16-> 17)/Wis 14/Cha 15) with the Arcane Trickster archetype and the Crossbow Expert (bonus)/Sharpshooter (4th ASI replacement) feats.

heavyfuel
2020-08-21, 06:55 AM
Considering your low level, my suggestion is going VHuman for the extra feat. It just helps so much in the early levels.

As for class, I'd make this character a gish of some sort.

Bladesingers are notoriously MAD, needing Dex, Int, and Con (in that order). Valor/Swords Bards are in a similar spot, needing Cha instead of Int.

If you're more into the Divine, go Cleric. Most people imagine a battle cleric being clad in heavy armor, but your scores allow you to go for medium armor AND have good Str, Wis AND Con, so you don't necessarily need to get a domain with heavy armor.

LudicSavant
2020-08-21, 06:58 AM

Hmm. With stats like that, you could qualify to add Warlock and Gloom Stalker to this build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24673886&postcount=511).

Sorinth
2020-08-21, 11:26 AM
I'd go with Monk/Bladesinger, you have an AC of 20 with those stats while using Bladesong plus the shield spell. Grab Kensei for another +2 AC, and do whatever you can to find Bracers of Defence + Ring/Cloak of Protection. Grab the lucky feat, and you basically can only be hit by a nat 20, which you use the Luck point to force them to reroll.

Valmark
2020-08-21, 11:58 AM
I'd go with Monk/Bladesinger, you have an AC of 20 with those stats while using Bladesong plus the shield spell. Grab Kensei for another +2 AC, and do whatever you can to find Bracers of Defence + Ring/Cloak of Protection. Grab the lucky feat, and you basically can only be hit by a nat 20, which you use the Luck point to force them to reroll.

Wouldn't you have an AC of 24? Assuming 17/16/16 go in Wisdom, Intelligence and Dexterity with Shield spell it's 10+3+3+3+5.

Stick Wood Elf on it and you have 18 base AC, 21 with Blade, Shield for 26.

Zaltman
2020-08-21, 12:06 PM
Gish with high AC, Con save proficiency and can use any one handed weapon. Fighter 1 Then Arcana Cleric 2. SCAG Blade cantrip + fire bolt for Wizard cantrips or go with two blade cantrips. Dueling fighting style for the +2 damage and +2 AC. Pick whatever feat/race combo works for you. This is powerful and versatile out the gate and if you play till cleric 8 and have 20 in str and wisdom your bonus damage alone for hitting with a weapon+SCAG = 12+1d8.

KorvinStarmast
2020-08-21, 01:44 PM
What MAD class or multi-class you would play if you had great stats. I rolled 17,16,16,15,14,10 and would like to take advantage of it.

So far, I'm considering a wood-elf monk or a half-orc barbarian. Maybe bladesinger, swords bard or non-hexblade pact of the blade? With those rolls, I'd consider a Mountain Dwarf Paladin.
16 15 16 10 14 17 translates into 18 15 18 10 14 17.
At level 5 you can add 1 to each Cha and Dex or you can take resililient Dex to get proficiency in Dex saves, which crop up with a significant frequency.

But I'd probably go with the wood elf monk, myself, or a vHuman Sun Soul monk.

Sorinth
2020-08-21, 02:37 PM
Wouldn't you have an AC of 24? Assuming 17/16/16 go in Wisdom, Intelligence and Dexterity with Shield spell it's 10+3+3+3+5.

Stick Wood Elf on it and you have 18 base AC, 21 with Blade, Shield for 26.

I was assuming V. Human to grab the Lucky feat right away, so Dex of 18 and int/wis/con of 16. You'd have a base AC of 17, that becomes 20 with BS. But yeah Elf could give you a +1 AC, but I'm not sure that's worth the starting feat. Especially since it's a low level campaign if you take a 3/2 split then you haven't even got that ASI for a feat yet.

With magic items, Kensei's Agile Parry you can push it to 26 and with Shield 31 (27 without magic items). And if you Patient Defence with your Ki you can be imposing disadvantage (Or use a spell like Blur).

Throne12
2020-08-21, 03:52 PM
Play a melee druid or sorcerer. Use spells like flameblade or shadow blade. I like the idea of a Druid: Circle of Spores Tortle attacking a qstaff and Pam.

Bobthewizard
2020-08-21, 10:04 PM
Hmm. With stats like that, you could qualify to add Warlock and Gloom Stalker to this build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24673886&postcount=511).

I love this build. Spiritchaser submitted a similar build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24560104&postcount=30) in one of dork-forge's challenges, taking 8 levels of barbarian at the end.

This is what I might try if next time if I ever get these rolls again. Make him into a Jedi without using the UA Mystic.

Gish with high AC, Con save proficiency and can use any one handed weapon. Fighter 1 Then Arcana Cleric 2. SCAG Blade cantrip + fire bolt for Wizard cantrips or go with two blade cantrips. Dueling fighting style for the +2 damage and +2 AC. Pick whatever feat/race combo works for you. This is powerful and versatile out the gate and if you play till cleric 8 and have 20 in str and wisdom your bonus damage alone for hitting with a weapon+SCAG = 12+1d8.

Not sure the level of fighter is worth the delayed spell progression, but I like the idea.

With those rolls, I'd consider a Mountain Dwarf Paladin.
16 15 16 10 14 17 translates into 18 15 18 10 14 17.
At level 5 you can add 1 to each Cha and Dex or you can take resililient Dex to get proficiency in Dex saves, which crop up with a significant frequency.

But I'd probably go with the wood elf monk, myself, or a vHuman Sun Soul monk.

All good ideas. I've played a lot of paladins lately or that might have won.

Play a melee druid or sorcerer. Use spells like flameblade or shadow blade. I like the idea of a Druid: Circle of Spores Tortle attacking a qstaff and Pam.

I have trouble playing any druid other than shepherd because I love that subclass so much, but the Tortle spores druid looks great. I played a melee goblin sorcerer once and it was fun. Booming blade then bonus action disengage.

Ertwin
2020-08-21, 10:13 PM

With stats pretty similar to that, I made a rakdos centaur drunken master monk (contortionist)

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-08-21, 10:22 PM
If you are packing it in at level 5 I'd think twice about MC builds. Those 3rd level spells or Multi-attacks will be missed in your final battle(s).