PDA

View Full Version : 5e Legendary Races

BerzerkerUnit
2020-08-13, 06:17 PM
I had a thought just now for a monstrous race ala the Minotaur but based on the Behemoth from Final Fantasy/Monster Hunter.

Then I thought about the divine gifts players can start with from Theros and it made me think, what if you rolled those kinds of benefits into a race to make a Legendary Race.

This could include things like the Immortals of Mount Kun Lun, actual Therionthropes, Demigods etc.

Maybe that’s too big an idea, but here are the Behemyth, a race of anthrobehemoths ala Vincent Valentine’s Galian Beast transformation.

These creatures are nearly unique on the worlds they occupy. Often created by magical practice gone awry or divine curse.

Size medium
Powerful build
Speed 30
Ability Bonus: +1 Str, +2 Con
Claws: unarmed attacks can deal 1d4 slashing
Gore: Unarmed attacks can deal 1d6 piercing.
Innate Magic: you know the Lightning Lure Cantrip
At 5th level you can cast the Melf’s Minute Meteor Spell or Sleet Storm Spell. Once you’ve cast one of these spells In this way you cannot do so again until you complete a long rest. At 17th level you can instead cast Meteor Swarm or Whirlwind with this feature. Constitution is your spell casting ability for these spells.

JNAProductions
2020-08-13, 09:56 PM
I'd not allow for 9th level racial casting. They might not be the best spells, but they're still 9th level spells.

Otherwise looks fine.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-08-13, 10:45 PM
I'd not allow for 9th level racial casting. They might not be the best spells, but they're still 9th level spells.

Otherwise looks fine.

I'm not 100% on what the resistance is to granting 9th level spell equivalents to everyone.

I thought it was pretty widely understood that some capstones are trash. Some classes are so good at their schtick that spending the time to cast even a 9th level spell (other than wish) is a stylish downgrade to what they could be doing.

In this particular instance though, the 3rd level and 9th level options are intended to be balanced against the Anvilwrought divine gift from MOoTheros.

20 levels of the utility inherent in not eating, sleeping, or breathing, resistance and advantage on poison vs 15 levels of 2 not bad spells 1/day and 4 levels of 2 not bad spells 1/day.

Also, here's a couple videos for the inspiration for the Behemyth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKrQ7FvLZeo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrCmLwk2wQc

Yakk
2020-08-14, 10:06 AM
Don't balance 16 levels of Suck with 3 levels of Awesome.

Just don't do it.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-08-14, 01:11 PM
I thought the 3rd level spells packed a little more punch than most others and brought it up, the ultra high end stuff was aspirational.