PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Inspiration Needed-Taking Homebrew Requests

JNAProductions
2020-08-13, 09:57 PM
I've been slacking on the brew. Sure, I made a few things here and there lately, but gosh DARN IT! I need more! More! MORE!

But I'm not sure WHAT to make.

So, anyone got anything they want to see made for 5E?

clash
2020-08-13, 10:56 PM
Dervish - DeX based dual welding barbarian archetype.
Chaos sorcery
How about a pet focused class where one subclass is mount focused and another has one big beastie
Luck based class or subclass
Dancer - either monk subclass or bard

theVoidWatches
2020-08-13, 11:28 PM
A Barbarian subclass (or whole-class rework) that lets you get stronger as you take more damage.
A Bard subclass (or whole-class rework) with some sort of song mechanic that takes multiple rounds to work, or which gets stronger over multiple rounds.
A Cleric subclass that makes you into a prophet (in the sense of seeing the future).
A Druid (or whole-class rework) subclass which gives you an animal companion.
A Fighter subclass (or entirely new class) about being physically empowered by a powerful creature, like a warlock but for martials instead of casters.
A Monk subclass that gives you 1/3 casting, like Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights.
A Paladin subclass (or whole-class rework) which gives you auras you can turn on and off using some kind of slot system.
A Ranger whole-class rework which doesn't suck.
A Rogue subclass about stealing magic/spells (as opposed to learning magic, like Arcane Tricksters).
A Sorcerer subclass for people who inherited magic from a fae ancestor (possibly focused on illusions/enchantments?).
A Warlock subclass for making a contract with a powerful giant.
A Wizard subclass that lets you pick out a handful of spells from other spell lists a la Magical Secrets.

A martial class for superhero-esque characters, perhaps giving them a selection of at-will superpowers similar to how Invocations work, but with a different theme. Subclasses for a distinction between physically empowered characters (getting access to incredible strength and durability) and mentally empowered characters (getting access to things like telepathy and lasers) - a pact-boon type second choice could give them access to some kind of movement upgrade, choosing between flight (starting limited and getting stronger), speed (which would give much higher speeds than flight) and teleportation (again, starting out highly-limited and getting stronger).

AdAstra
2020-08-14, 02:18 AM
A "multi-character" class. Be it a pet class, summoner, or even a class representing two independent characters, something that involves playing as multiple individuals.

JNAProductions
2020-08-14, 09:56 AM
Dervish - DeX based dual welding barbarian archetype.
Chaos sorcery
How about a pet focused class where one subclass is mount focused and another has one big beastie
Luck based class or subclass
Dancer - either monk subclass or bard

Dervish has already been done several times, I believe, and I know there's at least one that's pretty good.

What do you mean by Chaos Sorcery? Are we talking giant water monsters, or randomness? Because if the emphasis is randomness... I'm not a huge fan of that.

Dancer I'll add to the list.

A Barbarian subclass (or whole-class rework) that lets you get stronger as you take more damage.
A Bard subclass (or whole-class rework) with some sort of song mechanic that takes multiple rounds to work, or which gets stronger over multiple rounds.
A Cleric subclass that makes you into a prophet (in the sense of seeing the future).
A Druid (or whole-class rework) subclass which gives you an animal companion.
A Fighter subclass (or entirely new class) about being physically empowered by a powerful creature, like a warlock but for martials instead of casters.
A Monk subclass that gives you 1/3 casting, like Arcane Tricksters and Eldritch Knights.
A Paladin subclass (or whole-class rework) which gives you auras you can turn on and off using some kind of slot system.
A Ranger whole-class rework which doesn't suck.
A Rogue subclass about stealing magic/spells (as opposed to learning magic, like Arcane Tricksters).
A Sorcerer subclass for people who inherited magic from a fae ancestor (possibly focused on illusions/enchantments?).
A Warlock subclass for making a contract with a powerful giant.
A Wizard subclass that lets you pick out a handful of spells from other spell lists a la Magical Secrets.

A martial class for superhero-esque characters, perhaps giving them a selection of at-will superpowers similar to how Invocations work, but with a different theme. Subclasses for a distinction between physically empowered characters (getting access to incredible strength and durability) and mentally empowered characters (getting access to things like telepathy and lasers) - a pact-boon type second choice could give them access to some kind of movement upgrade, choosing between flight (starting limited and getting stronger), speed (which would give much higher speeds than flight) and teleportation (again, starting out highly-limited and getting stronger).

Interesting. Added to the list.

Interesting, but not sure that'd be fun for the player. Maybe as a magic item or something?

Diviner Cleric? Could work.

That'd be fun, but also almost certainly OP. Druids are full casters, adding a capable combatant on top of that separate from you... That's quite a bit much! But perhaps a Circle Of Menagerie? Not so much a combat beasty, but many helpful animals?

Interesting!

So, 4E, but better? :P

Also interesting.

I don't Ranger enough to feel confident making a new one.

Ooh, Spellthief!

Fey Ancestry, cool.

Titanlock. Neato.

Eh... Maybe. Not sure that's enough for a good theme.

Superhero class would be cool.

A "multi-character" class. Be it a pet class, summoner, or even a class representing two independent characters, something that involves playing as multiple individuals.

I actually made the Cloner (https://docs.google.com/document/d/14Q857eDWlZ3pcy8a891kFzd-1T7oJVwVenUr18jEUVQ/edit?usp=sharing) quite a while ago.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll start work on them tonight-I got orientation for a new job in just two hours, and need to focus on readying myself for that.

I cannot guarantee that everything will get made or even attempted, but I'll do my best!

BerzerkerUnit
2020-08-14, 01:45 PM
Barbarian that gets stronger as you’re injured-ish.

Ooze Blood Barbarian
3rd your blood transforms into an acidic goo. You gain resistance to acid.

When you rage your blood is stirred, gouting out of your wounds with phenomenal pressure. When you take slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage while raging, a creature of your choosing within 5 ft of you suffers an equal amount of Acid damage damage.

7th Pool of Blood
Your blood occasionally pools back into you after being spilled. When you succeed on a death saving throw you can choose to spend a hit die and recover additional hp equal to you Proficiency bonus.

10th Ooze affinity
(neutral treatment from oozes), immunity to acid while raging,

14th Living Pool:
1/day when you reach 1/2 HP all your she’d blood collects into a black pudding with that many HP that attacks your target. The more Slash/Pierce/bludgeon dmg you take, the more HP the pudding gets.

nickl_2000
2020-08-14, 02:42 PM
Here's a few from my idea list that I've struggled to make in a way I'm happy with.

-Fey Based Sorcerer, something that changes with the seasons they are aligned to
-I really want to see a subclass based on the Garth Nix Sabriel book (or any of the series). However, I can't find the right class to make it a subclass of.
-A tongue in cheek bard who casts and plays an air guitar
-Rogue character/circus performer who can spit alcohol to make a fire breath

nickl_2000
2020-08-14, 02:45 PM
Barbarian that gets stronger as you’re injured-ish.

Ooze Blood Barbarian
3rd your blood transforms into an acidic goo. You gain resistance to acid.

When you rage your blood is stirred, gouting out of your wounds with phenomenal pressure. When you take slashing, piercing, or bludgeoning damage while raging, a creature of your choosing within 5 ft of you suffers an equal amount of Acid damage damage.

7th Pool of Blood
Your blood occasionally pools back into you after being spilled. When you succeed on a death saving throw you can choose to spend a hit die and recover additional hp equal to you Proficiency bonus.

10th Ooze affinity
(neutral treatment from oozes), immunity to acid while raging,

14th Living Pool:
1/day when you reach 1/2 HP all your she’d blood collects into a black pudding with that many HP that attacks your target. The more Slash/Pierce/bludgeon dmg you take, the more HP the pudding gets.

I'm guessing you two know about it since you have seen it in past subclass contests, but I do have this one https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24151963&postcount=4

However, I wouldn't mind seeing JNAProductions take on it.

Edea
2020-08-14, 03:02 PM
-A tongue in cheek bard who casts and plays an air guitar

LOL, A Stratocaster? Really? I love it XD

nickl_2000
2020-08-15, 09:29 AM
LOL, A Stratocaster? Really? I love it XD

https://media.tenor.com/images/94f5d73074fae5d3c821c9a0aa9c42c9/tenor.gif

Amechra
2020-08-15, 11:24 AM
A subclass that lets you play CAIAPHUS CAIN, HERO OF THE IMPERIUM!

(Or, you know, a Charisma-based subclass that makes you insanely lucky. That works too.)

Old Harry MTX
2020-08-15, 03:13 PM
As I said in another topic I would love to see a sort of Military Engineer (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_engineering#:~:text=Military%20engineerin g%20is%20loosely%20defined,for%20logistics%20behin d%20military%20tactics.) subclass, maybe a fighter's one, capable to cast spells from a dedicated list made only of utility spells.

It should be able to build bridges, palisades or shelters, create teleport circles, move big loads with levitate, produce supplies, conjure mounts, and made some heal out of combat. I imagine it with few spell slots like those of the warlock, but with the ability to cast any spell from that list as rituals a certain number of times per long or short rest.

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-16, 02:11 AM
I'm a big fan of mechanical rework homebrews. Stuff that changes how certain mechanics work to make the entire game function at their table better. Often times, it's not that the game is missing content to do a cool thing, but the cool thing that the player wants to do involves how what is already available doesn't do what they want.

For example, there's a utility disparity between classes like the Barbarian and Fighter, in what those classes get as features, compared to other options like the Bard or Wizard. Regardless of whether someone says that 5e needs it, how could you go about breaking that disparity?

Additionally, there are a lot of features in the game that are limited from working with other content through resource economy or rules limitations. How could you create a lot of creative solutions by removing those walls? (Examples could be removing the Bonus Action cost of the Monk's Step of the Wind but increasing the cost of Flurry of Blows, or removing the limitation from the Storm Sorcerer's 5ft fly so that it can impact allies or enemies).

Casters in 5e are mentioned as pulling their power from an external source, yet they are known to be the most defined by how limited those resources are. On the contrast, Martials constantly use their mortal, physical body to solve all of their problems. Yet, most real-world fights end after only a few seconds, and anything longer than a couple of minutes leaves people totally exhausted. How could you break the common stigma that "Martials never get tired", or that "Casters can only borrow so much power from a limitless source"?

GalacticAxekick
2020-08-16, 03:59 AM
5e's spell lists are smaller than previous editions. If I want to build a spellcaster around a certain concept, I will be forced to learn or prepare spells unrelated to my theme, and I will be severely underpowered if I only cast the spells related to my theme.

I've begun working on an extended/modified list of divination spells, aiming to make ESPers, prophets and fortune tellers into viable concepts. But I'm struggling at high levels. Have a look (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/n4tDBxJT6). Help out if you like

sandmote
2020-08-16, 03:19 PM
Dofus (which I'm using because I played it) is a lot closer to 4e, but you could add some more subclasses to your Iop and Xelor.

togapika
2020-08-18, 05:07 PM
Warlock patron or Bard college for the musicians who sell their soul for skill!