PDA

View Full Version : Doors

elyktsorb
2020-08-13, 11:01 PM
Does using a Door count as item interaction and therefor take an action?

Zhorn
2020-08-13, 11:11 PM
Opening/closing a door is an Object Interaction, not a Use an Object Action (I know, it sounds a little silly)
You get one free Object Interaction per turn

Other Activities on your Turn
You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack

Interacting with Objects Around You
Here are a few examples of the sorts of thing you can do in
tandem with your movement and action:
• open or close a door

Lavaeolus
2020-08-13, 11:15 PM
So, by default you get one free item interaction per turn, but 5e gives some room for the DM to decide whether any given hypothetical item interaction is effortful enough to require an action. In this case, the PHB points to a door being opened/closed as one example of what an ordinary item interaction could be. A stuck door is also used to illustrate what an item interaction that requires an action could be.

You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack.

[...]

The DM might require you to use an action for any of these activities when it needs special care or when it presents an unusual obstacle. For instance, the DM could reasonably expect you to use an action to open a stuck door or turn a crank to lower a drawbridge.

So, generally speaking: you can open one door for free per turn. You can also use an action to open a second door, if need be; in some circumstances the action might be mandatory even if you haven't used your free item interaction. If you wish to spec into some sort of door-opening based character, you could become a Thief Rogue, and be able to open a third door or open another stuck door as a bonus action using Fast Hands.

EDIT: Ninja'd.

elyktsorb
2020-08-13, 11:17 PM
I was honestly wondering if you set it up right you could have a thief rogue stab someone while they are on either sides of the door, then have the rogue bonus action close it, then the enemy would waste their action opening the door.

Zhorn
2020-08-13, 11:20 PM
I was honestly wondering if you set it up right you could have a thief rogue stab someone while they are on either sides of the door, then have the rogue bonus action close it, then the enemy would waste their action opening the door.
Action = Attack
Object Interaction = Close Door
Bonus Action = Fast Hand > Use an Object > lock the door

Enemy then has to use an action to break down the door? Or if they have a key they could unlock it as an Object Interaction, but they have spent their one free Object Interaction and would then need an action to spend to open it as a Use an Object action on the same turn.

Lavaeolus
2020-08-13, 11:23 PM
If you have some way to make the door take an action, in principle it could work. The simplest way would be to hold your body against the door to keep it closed -- but the rules on that would be somewhat up to the DM. But you could presumably have this chain of events:

1. Thief attacks. (uses action)
2. Thief moves behind door if necessary, and closes it. (possibly uses movement, uses free object interaction)
3. Thief blocks door somehow, such as by moving furniture or locking it. (uses Use an Object as a bonus action)

The specifics might depend on DM. Closing the door and locking it, for instance, could be one Use an Object action. In the case of moving furniture I'd probably at least ask for a STR check.

Grogintale
2020-08-14, 10:24 AM
If you have some way to make the door take an action, in principle it could work. The simplest way would be to hold your body against the door to keep it closed -- but the rules on that would be somewhat up to the DM. But you could presumably have this chain of events:

1. Thief attacks. (uses action)
2. Thief moves behind door if necessary, and closes it. (possibly uses movement, uses free object interaction)
3. Thief blocks door somehow, such as by moving furniture or locking it. (uses Use an Object as a bonus action)

The specifics might depend on DM. Closing the door and locking it, for instance, could be one Use an Object action. In the case of moving furniture I'd probably at least ask for a STR check.

1. Okay
2. Sure. Perhaps the opposing party can use a Reaction to make an opposed Dex check to put their foot (or sword) in the way of the door closing?
3. As part of movement, Holding the door closed (Str Vs Str), or something simple and quick like throwing a bolt? Sure. Moving furniture to block the door, I'd rule that as a separate action.

Zhorn
2020-08-14, 10:34 AM
2. Sure. Perhaps the opposing party can use a Reaction to make an opposed Dex check to put their foot (or sword) in the way of the door closing?

Sounds fine if you're playing a more free-form / rules-lite version, but for a RAW game those would be somewhat like:
Player: "I want to try and do a thing utilising the rules"
DM: "And I'm going to just block that with some random homebrew"

can come across as a bit of a jerk move.

Lavaeolus
2020-08-14, 10:59 AM
As part of movement, Holding the door closed (Str Vs Str), or something simple and quick like throwing a bolt? Sure. Moving furniture to block the door, I'd rule that as a separate action.

To be clear, in my example moving furniture would be a Use an Object action that is turned into a bonus action thanks to Fast Hands ("Starting at 3rd level, you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to [...] take the Use an Object action.")

That said, it's an example not necessarily of something that's definitely available, but as something that could be possible depending on DM. Your DM must agree to two things: you can use your action to attempt to move furniture, and that this is a Use an Object action. As opposed to, say, an improvised action not covered by any of the PHB's listed actions; breaking down a door is given as an example of that, showing the complexity of the D&D door-meta.

Holding a door closed, I feel like I wouldn't allow that as movement, but I get the rationale. I'd say that requires a concentrated effort that prevents you from doing other things, and it presumably has effects outside your turn, so I'd probably rule it as an action.

elyktsorb
2020-08-14, 12:00 PM
complexity of the D&D door-meta.

It's a statement I didn't know I needed in my life until now.

NecessaryWeevil
2020-08-14, 01:02 PM

Yeah, I agree with Zhorn (for some reason it won't let me quote both of you); this seems like a bad idea.
It opens up a can of worms: if this action is interruptible with a Reaction, what other actions have now also become interruptible? Attacks, for example?