PDA

View Full Version : magic item compendium: transferring and adding magic item powers

Raishoiken
2020-08-14, 12:02 AM
i could have sworn i'd seen a long time ago something in the magic item compendium or somewhere else about transferring the powers of one magic item to another, is this a thing?

the most similar thing i've seen for it thus far has been the section on improving magic items which also raised another question (which i may move to another thread if necessary):

Could i improve a luck blade or another type of specific magic weapon with the powers of a life drinker

yall're great

edited second part for clarity

the_tick_rules
2020-08-14, 01:07 AM
I checked my copy of the MIC and could not find anything relating to transferring abilities from one magic item to the next. As for the second I never thought of combining two specific weapons like that. But considering how broadly the MIC allows multi-enchanting I suppose as long as you pay the fee I can't really think of something I read in the book that would compel me to say you cannot

Saintheart
2020-08-14, 02:56 AM
There are Dragonshard Pommel stones (Magic of Eberron) which can be enchanted as weapons and switched from weapon to weapon, but there isn't anything mechanical in 3.5 that allows it otherwise.

Gruftzwerg
2020-08-14, 04:18 AM
I could offer a workaround:

1. Luck Blade doesn't require you to hold/ready the weapon to profit from its special effects:

This +2 short sword gives its possessor a +1 luck bonus on all saving throws. Its possessor also gains the power of good fortune, usable once per day. This extraordinary ability allows its possessor to reroll one roll that she just made.
It just needs to be in your possession. Unless you are afraid of the extra weight of the short sword, just use it as backup weapon.

2. If you dislike that the Life-Drinker is an Greataxe, you can add "Morphing (+1)" to it to change it into another weapon.

I wouldn't combine em, cause you get nothing special form it and it makes your main weapon more expensive than it normally would be (thus reaching faster the limit for non epic items).

Asmotherion
2020-08-14, 04:29 AM
No rules I'm aware of, save for Wish/Mirracle.

Vaern
2020-08-14, 04:52 AM
I don't know about transferring powers from one item to another, but there are common effects that it says can be combined with other items of an appropriate type. Ability score bonuses and resistance bonuses to saving throws, mostly. For example, any pair of magical boots such as boots of striding and springing can also have a bonus to dexterity tacked on. I'll have a look when I have a bit more free time to see if I can find anything more helpful to you than that.

Biggus
2020-08-14, 07:56 AM
Could i improve a luck blade or another type of specific magic weapon with the powers of a life drinker

I asked a similar question here (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?612375-Nonstandard-specific-items) a little while ago. There didn't seem to be any real consensus; my feeling for what it's worth is that RAW is yes, RAI is no.