PDA

View Full Version : How does echo knight work

elyktsorb
2020-08-14, 12:49 PM
Because I'm trying to wrap my brain around how features work between echo knight and other classes that have features involving attacks and I have no clue how they interact.

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-14, 12:57 PM
Because I'm trying to wrap my brain around how features work between echo knight and other classes that have features involving attacks and I have no clue how they interact.

Imagine the Echo Knight as a placeholder for where you're allowed to make teleportation attacks. It uses your Reach and other attack modifiers that you'd consider during your turn. However, when the attack is made, anything that requires a set amount of distance (like something that requires you to attack a creature within 5 feet of you) considers where YOU are, not your placeholder.

So a Melee Weapon Attack can be made by your Placeholder (which means it can use a Paladin's Divine Smite), but Booming Blade (which targets a creature within 5ft of you) cannot.

Additionally, it has a rigid 5ft reach for the sake of Opportunity Attacks, and that cannot change.

If it ever takes 1 damage, your placeholder disappears.

That's about it. The Echo allows you to effectively make melee attacks during your turn at an increased distance. The best things to combine it with are either:

High melee weapon damage spam (as you get more attacks by using it), usually through Great Weapon Master.
Effects that work off of weapon attacks that make you a preferable target (due to the improved distance), like Ancestral Guardian's taunt or the Ranger's Ensnaring Strike (as it takes Concentration).

elyktsorb
2020-08-14, 01:04 PM
Okay, I just needed to know how that works for spore druid lol, okay, projection gets poison damage

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-14, 01:07 PM
Okay, I just needed to know how that works for spore druid lol, okay, projection gets poison damage

Yes, it does. Basically, anything that says "Melee Weapon Attack" works fine through the projection. The only anomalies you need to watch out for are targeted spells (as they have a required distance from the player), and Opportunity Attack (mostly with Reach).