PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class The Shaman - a Really Nature and Tribal Caster

GrayDeath
2020-08-14, 02:50 PM
Hey there, aiming for a bit of your help to work out the class I am building at the Moment.

What I have finished are (quite different) Spellcasting and Familiars, for qhich I need feedback before I go on and make the Level chart/decide what aside from their Casting they need (they will be getting class features tied to nature obviously, but what else is eneded depebnds on how the Casting is received).

Class is intended for 3.x and 3.P.

And before you say that the changes are unnecessarily complicated: thats kind of the point. The class is supposed to feel very different, and have a clear split between the 3 Sources of power it uses.

Now, if you have a better solution for the specifics, I am ALL ears, cause so far thats the best I could come up with.

Onwards:

Very very short Setting Info: A large, wild and forest-dominated Continent ruled over by powerful Tribes and their Patrons.

References to certain Times/Year, Stellar occurances and so on mean the regular, repeating ones, but partaking on any relevant action in regards to say the Moon requires around a day preparation and all of these Rituals can only be executed "in the Wilderness".

Game expects to be born and raised there by the Tribes.

OR to play Invaders.

Basics:

Hit Die D8

BAB: medium

Saves: High Fortitude and Will, low Reflex

Skillpts: 6+Int Modification
Class Skills: Bluff, Craft (Bone, Leather), Diplomacy, Intimidate, Knowledge (Arcane, religion, Planes, Nature), Perception, Sense Motive.

Requirements. Must have grown up in one of The Tribes, as Shamans are born, not made. May later choose to abandon the path, but if doing so, must retrain Shaman levels (in the setting this makes sense).

Spellcasting:

Shamans are unique casters in that they have 3 sources from which to draw their magic.

These 3 Sources are:

Summaries:

1.: Birthright patron. Chosen once and forever, though a late (say L15) Level option to add a second exists.Grants 1-2 Domains and a Supernatural Ability. Not following the Patrons Ideal removes these abilities.

2.: Familiar. Can "fetch" Spells, of which the Shaman can obly hold a small number. But can get just about any spell not against the Fluff.

3.: "regular" Spells learned per Level that, at most once per Month, can be partially exchanged.

In Detail:

1.: At Birth, where a new Shaman is chosen by the Spirits, a Birth mark manifests.
During their Childhood, other Shamans interpret the form and locatiuon of the birthmark, and the Childs Personality, to tattoo the Mark with the Blood of both the Shaman to teach the Child, the Child itself, and the Earth (Blood of the Earth is the magically reliquified Gemstone the Childs tribe holds in highest regard. Available: Emerald, Ruby, Sapphire, Opal).

This is done exactly a day before the Child is half as old as it needs to be to be considered an adult.

Each Special Ability granted by a Form, unless mentioned otherwise, is once per day.

Available Forms: (All Domains grant one Slot in total, and Shamans do only gain the Domain Feat if they have kept the Favour and Connection of their Patron uniterruptedly for 1 Month, ergo they gain all a Domain contains, but have to "pay service" to KEEP them).

Arashi, the Sky asunder: a Form similar to a mix of a tornado and jagged slices of land, almost always located on the torso front.

Arashi grants the Child access to the Domains of Air and Destruction, and the Shaman may channel his connection to Arashi to gain temporary mastery of any Spell that calls forceful air or destroys directly, up to the highest Level he could cast.

Arashis Favour is removed for a day whenever the Shaman casts a healing spell.

Larkhae: Mother of Night and Secrets, the first Woman.

A beautifully curved form reminiscent of both a naked woman, the moon and a Scythe, located either on the Forehead or above the heart.

Larkhaes Favour grants Access to the Darkness and Knowledge Domains, and the Shaman can temporarily (1 hour) gain Skill Bonuses equal to his Intelligence to 3 Skills or make Enchantments last thrice as long.

Larkhes Favour is lost for a day whenever the Shaman declines the advances of a woman without a good reason (the only good ones are: Marriage, Safety of either of the participants, being enemies, or fear of Disease) or a Woman declines his (same rules apply).

Morkhassa, the devourer: a round shape, always on the Stomach or throat.
Grants the Hunger and the Strength domain.
The Shaman may channel the eternal Hunger to purge himself from any poison or disease (but must eat 4+kg of food to do so) and to temporarily (15 Minutes) regain 1D10 HP whenever he casts a spell.

Mokhassas Favour is lost for a day whenever the Shaman decliens a meal or does not finish one.

Fallorain, the Elven progenitor: A poised male, on the right Arm or the side of the head.

The Elven progenitors Favour grants the Elf and Magic domain, and channeling him allows the Shaman to identify anything related to Elves or make any Elves he meets the first time 2 stepts friendlier as long as he remains trustowrthy.

Lost favour for a day: Attacking elves first and not valuing art.

Gomnorkha the Iron Head: The first Soldier and patron of many a Dwarf. Grants access to Strength and Earth Domains.
Can be channeled to endure damage and Pain easier (DR 1+1/2 level, pain maluses halved for 1 hour).

Loses favour if he acts cowardly and lets others suffer for himself.

Belial: The Demon/Devil (depends on Myth) of Ambition and honeyed Words. Access to Fire and Ambition Domains.
Can be channeled to increase Social prowess (+3+1/2 Level to Social Rolls for 30 Minutes) or grant +2 CL to Enchantment Spells for 30 Minutes

Failing to primarily look out for one self removes favour for 3 days.

Meldrodash: The last Titan, and first Hero. Grants access to Glory Domain and grants +Cha to DR and Deflection AC.

Can Channel his power to grant himself the effects of the heroism Spell 3 times/day.

Looses access for 3 days ifg they ever let another claim their deeds as theior own.

Second patron: At reaching Level 15, a Shaman may choose this feat. It allows him to tattoo his mark in a way that may ALSO look like a second patron. As long as the patrons are not enemies, and he keeps faith, this works well. He can only ever channel one patron per hour, and following both limitations can be tricky. He aslo does not gain a second Domain slot.

2.: At the Ritual of Adolescence, exactly a year later, the Shaman binds a familiar.
Aside from offering everything a regular Familiar would, a Shamans Familiar also can retrieve spells for him, like a Shairs Gen.

However, a Shamans Familiar can only retrieve Spells from 2 Schools (the lists dont matter though) chosen due to the familiars type. Also, depending on their Speciality, they gain Spellcasting/increased Combat Prowess themselves.

Frog Types: Transmutation and Enchantment. (mystic)

Owl Types: Divination and Conjuration (mystic and fast)

Wolf Types: Abjuration and Transformation (Fighter)

Raven types: Divination and Necromancy (Fast)

Rat Types: Illusion and Necromancy (Mystic)

Lion Types: Evocation and Enchantments (Fighter)

Snake types: Abjuration and Illusion (mystic)

Deer Type: Conjuration and Transmutation. (fast)

Retrieval: Takes Spell level*1 Minute for a School both the Shaman and Familiar favour, 5*Level for one one favours.

A Shaman can store 1 retrieved Spell per 2 Levels, +1 more per 3 Wisdom Bonus pts, up to a total of 3 per 2 Levels of this class.

Spells stored this way vanish once the earliest of the following occurs:
The SHaman rests for more than 4 hours, the Day/The Night ends, or a number of hours equal to 1/2 the Shamans Class Level has passed.

The Familiar stays with the Shaman all their Life, starts out as standard example of their race, then gains +2 to all ability scores, then +4 to the weakest of the Shaman, then +2 Natural Armor.

As soon as the Shaman has higher HD, the Familiar levels up.

So far, progress will look like this:
Each Level: +1D8, with 2+Int Mod skillpts, and +1 to on a physical Ability Score.
Every 2 levels: +1 natural Armor Class, if fast, +5ft Movement, fighter types +1 Damage/Die rolled, mystic ones +1 Orison.
Every 3 levels: +1 Feat, +2 to one physical Ability Score, +1 Wisdom or Intelligence.
Every 4 Levels: Ability to store one retrieved Spell of Level 1 to use themselves.
Every 5 levels: +1 Size Category OR + 2 Spells stored of up to half the Shamans level OR +30ft movement speed, 5 Initiative and one more movement type.
Every 10 Levels: One of the following templates: Axiomatic, Chaotic, Celestial, Infernal, Clockwork, Paragon, depending on the Shaman.

Lastly, as any Caster, the Shaman learns Spells himself, if only very limited number.
These spells in total are limited to 2 Spells known per Level, one of which they can exchange for another Spell of the same Level and School at a Full or No Moon Dance (limited to exchanging one per actual Dance!, depending ont he SHamans Alignment (Evil at No Moon, Good at Full Moon, Neutral must choose one)).

While they can learn any kind of spells on the Cleric or Druid List, Shamans prefer Divination, transmutation and either Necromancy or Evocation, and gain Bonuses in them.

Shamans Spellcasting Stat is Wisdom.

So far intended specifics:

Bonuses to the 3 preferred Schools in form of free Spell Foci at Levels 1, 3 and 7, with further class features being:

Increased number of Channeling their Patron, Strengthening of their Familiars, and Ability to change Shape into that of their Familiars at Even levels.

So, how does that look?

Ideas? Suggestions?

Thank you for your help.

Palanan
2020-08-15, 11:20 AM
Well, this does seem complicated, in part because the presentation is rather choppy.

It would be very helpful to provide a simple summary of the shaman's sources of power right at the beginning, so readers have a sense of what to expect as they go through the class description. I'm not clear exactly how the shaman learns the spells from the cleric or druid list, for instance--and without spell tables it's hard for me to visualize all the options the shaman has available.

Also, you reference elements of a tribal culture which seem to be assumed in the setting, such as the "Full or No Moon Dance," but these aren't detailed further and the reader is at a loss to understand their impact in terms of mechanics. You mention that the shaman can swap out spells at these dances, but without knowing how frequently these dances take place it's impossible to evaluate the benefit of this option. Are these dances held every two weeks, at every full moon and new moon? Or are they held only at specific times of the year, such as the full moon nearest to solstice? Can the shaman swap spells without being physically present at the dance, or does the shaman need to be participating in some way?

That would have major implications for a character who is adventuring far from home. Overall the class seems to be tied rather strongly to a specific culture which would need to be included in a game world for the class to be able to function, and depending on the setting that may pose some challenges for both players and DMs. I understand you're going for a specific "tribal feel," but there's a lot of detail that needs to be filled in, while keeping in mind whether or not the assumed context would be easily ported to standard settings. And even if the shaman is intended to be used only in one specific setting, we need more information about the culture before we can give feedback on setting-specific mechanics.

GrayDeath
2020-08-15, 06:19 PM
Well, obviously I cant first post my entire setting....

For games sake assume that while Full Moon Dances and other references to a strict, recurring date, count all such events, but require at least a day of preperation ahead of time and, as the class should suggest, can only be done in the Wilderness.

Thanks, I`ll add a small summary of the Sources at the top. Should have thought of that.

As for the presentation, of course its bad, the class aint done and hence has no table, and lots of missing stuff....;)

If things are however so badly formatted that they become unclear, please tell me so again and I will answer them.

What do you think of the actual mechanics so far.

The Flexibnility? The Power Level?

GrayDeath
2020-12-12, 07:50 PM
Some Modifications and fixed typos.

Still looking for general and specific feedback to be able to finish the class.

:)

Maat Mons
2020-12-12, 09:07 PM
Okay, so, if I understand correctly, this class is a spontaneous caster.

At 1st level, they pick an option from a list, and get some free spells known based on that. Sort of like how Pathfinder Sorcerers pick a Bloodline, and get one free spell known of each level 1-9, as listed in that bloodline's description. Or like how Dragonlance Mystics pick a Domain, and gain all the domain spells as free spells known. ... Or like Oracle.

And, like all spontaneous casters, they get some spells known that they get to pick for themselves, within the limitations imposed by their class list, or whatever.

And then, they get a class feature that lets them temporarily grant themselves "virtual" spells known.

I'd say it's midway between Pathfinder Sorcerer and Arcanist. An Arcanist can change all of his spells known every day. And if they take Quick Study as one of their Arcane Exploits (which every Arcanist does), they get to change their spells known multiple times throughout the day... taking one full-round action per spell known swapped.

So, yeah, I'd describe this as "Like Arcanist, but with the Pathfinder Witch's thing about your Familiar being your spellbook, it takes you way longer to swap spells known, some of your spells known are unswappable, and you get some free spells known based on your Bloodline / Mystery / Domain."

GrayDeath
2020-12-26, 10:10 AM
I ... guess thats a very good description of the mechanics, yeah.

The fluff puts higher importance on some parts than others, but you are pretty close.

Seen any major problems in the mechanics? Suggestions for Level appropiate Class feature spread, or other stuff?
Always like the feedback of someone who gets what I have built. ^^

Maat Mons
2020-12-27, 05:45 PM
Instead of each patron giving one or two domains, and then each patron also giving something akin to a domain granted power, I'd just write each patron up with its own list of granted spells, to go along with its own special ability. Make it a self-contained thing that doesn't require going to look at some domain.

I don't think you should build in annoying minor things that strip away class features. Losing favor if you turn down or don't finish a meal? That is way too open to grieving. Just keep offering the Shaman food. Eventually he won't be able to eat anymore. Boom, easy way to force a rift between him and his patron. It's like those "gotcha" situations some DMs like to put Paladins in, except it doesn't even take DM powers to accomplish. This is approaching Wu Jen levels of terribleness.

A side note, are the references to domains meant to be domains as implemented in 3.5, or as implemented in Pathfinder? This is something you wouldn't have to worry about clearing up if you weren't referring people to external sources.

Those familiar options don't look balanced. At 1st level, I can get a frog (CR 1/10), or I can get a lion (CR 3)? If you're going to have some of the options be awesome fighters, the options that aren't should get something else to make up for it. Maybe something like "Shamanic Bond: At 1st level choose either Badass Bond or Whimpey Bond. If you pick Badass Bond, you gain the service of an animal from the Badass Bond list. If you pick Whimpey Bond, you gain the services of an animal from the Whimpey Bond list, but you also..." And then something valuable enough to compensate for the fact that Jeremiah the Bullfrog is never going to rip any dude's throat out.

I wouldn't add in shapechanging. "Nature-themed spellcaster," "guy with an animal friend," and "shapeshifter" feel like three very different themes. You've already got two of them in there. And so your class already feels more like a single character concept with an entire class written for it than it feels like a class created as a tool for helping people realize their own character concepts. If you add in shapeshifting, you hit Druid levels of "Oh, you had your own ideas about the character you wanted to make? Well too bad!" Actually, it would occupy exact same the same hyper-specific niche Druid already does, just with different mechanics.