PDA

View Full Version : Mage Hand Legerdemain + Healer's Kit

Yakmala
2020-08-14, 06:05 PM
I've had a lot of fun playing Rogue Paramedics in previous games using the Thief subclass so that I could use the Healer's kit as a Bonus Action via the Thief's Fast Hands ability.

But can an Arcane Trickster do it even better?

Mage Hand Legerdemain states that "you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to control the hand." But does "control the hand" allow you the same level of manipulation as Fast Hands, which specifically states that you can use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to take the Use an Object action?

On one hand, this would be very cool! On the other hand, having "invisible Fast Hands at range" seriously takes away from the Thief subclass.

Lunali
2020-08-14, 06:12 PM
Mage hand lets you manipulate an object and legerdemain allows you to operate you mage hand as a bonus action so I would say that it works. However, this does mean you have to cast mage hand as an action at some point before you do this, and one way or another you have to give the healer's kit to the mage hand.

Yakmala
2020-08-14, 06:18 PM
Mage hand lets you manipulate an object and legerdemain allows you to operate you mage hand as a bonus action so I would say that it works. However, this does mean you have to cast mage hand as an action at some point before you do this, and one way or another you have to give the healer's kit to the mage hand.

Agreed. It can lead to a bad situation if you are surprised at the start of combat, but barring that, the Trickster should be able to get the hand out beforehand and with it lasting a minute, maintain it for the average fight.

Where it gets messy is how the Healer's Kit gets handed off to the Mage Hand Legerdemain. I'm assuming handing the kit over is a free object interaction for the PC, but is it a free interaction for the hand to receive the kit? That is less clear. So once again, the Trickster might need to prepare for this in advance.

OldTrees1
2020-08-15, 02:40 AM
Arcane Trickster getting invisible Fast Hands at range gives me pause. Especially since the first 2/3rds of Fast Hands are explicitly in Mage Hand Legerdemain.

I would not grant Mage Hand Legerdemain access to the Use An Object action as a bonus action. If the object does not take more than 10 lbs or more finesse than disabling a trap, then the Mage Hand could use an action to Use An Object.

PS: What Arcane Trickster doesn't keep Mage Hand active? Dun would have felt disarmed without it.

Tanarii
2020-08-15, 05:43 AM
Agreed. It can lead to a bad situation if you are surprised at the start of combat, but barring that, the Trickster should be able to get the hand out beforehand and with it lasting a minute, maintain it for the average fight.
His is actually a bar for the AT to have to hurdle. I know a lot of groups like to assume MH is always out for ATs, similar to how some assume Guidance is always cast for skill checks. But Mage Hand is a VS spell and requires constantly moving the hand. That might impact a character in multiple ways, from giving away position to being counted as distracted.

MinotaurWarrior
2020-08-15, 05:51 AM
His is actually a bar for the AT to have to hurdle. I know a lot of groups like to assume MH is always out for ATs, similar to how some assume Guidance is always cast for skill checks. But Mage Hand is a VS spell and requires constantly moving the hand. That might impact a character in multiple ways, from giving away position to being counted as distracted.

For a Stealth based class, it's better for the pc to assume he's not using verbal components 1/10 of the time.

It'll be active every PC ambush or surpriseless encounter, but inactive every DM ambush.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-08-15, 07:35 AM

Make every ally carry a healer's kit so you won't need to bring it to the hand.

Lunali
2020-08-15, 09:32 AM
Make every ally carry a healer's kit so you won't need to bring it to the hand.

You still need to get the healer's kit from wherever it's stored to the hand somehow, which is presumably either a "free" object interaction by the target or a bonus action to have the hand do it. As the target is often unconscious or has both hands full, this means it would likely require the latter.

PS: What Arcane Trickster doesn't keep Mage Hand active? Dun would have felt disarmed without it.

One that has any interest in stealth, mage hand has a V component and a relatively short duration.

OldTrees1
2020-08-15, 12:21 PM
One that has any interest in stealth, mage hand has a V component and a relatively short duration.

I was intending that to be mild hyperbole, but now I realize my dungeon guide rogue has had less need for stealth than the more typical assassination and spy style rogues.