PDA

View Full Version : [PF2] IC Rise of the Runelords: Chapter 1

Faolan7
2020-08-15, 08:46 PM
OOC Thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?617478-PF2-OOC-Rise-of-the-Runelords-Chapter-1)

https://i.postimg.cc/VsWsyNtL/Rot-R-Sandpoint-Landscape-Long.jpg

“Welcome! As many of you know, my name is Kendra Deverin, and I am proud to serve as the mayor of Sandpoint. It’s wonderful to see so many of you here to join us on this proud day. I would like to personally extend my welcome to the many new faces I see in the crowd, and I hope you all are enjoying your stay in this fine town. To all of the familiar faces I see today, thank you for participating in our ceremony and doing all you can for this town in recent years. Ah! I see that even Larz Rovanky has torn himself away from his work to join us! It is truly a miracle from Desna herself!” a small chuckle erupts throughout the crowd, and many turn to look at a serious-looking man wearing a sour expression on his face. The mayor waves to him and continues, “Without further ado, let me introduce our sheriff, Belor Hemlock!”

A dour looking man wearing a worn breastplate and longsword stands and walks to the center of the stage. His head is shaved, and his eyes are constantly moving about the crowd. He shakes the mayor's hand and begins to speak, “Thank you Mayor Deverin. Even in the heat of celebration, let us not forget the sad events that brought us to this day five years ago. I would like everyone to join me in a moment of silence to remember those who were lost in the fire that claimed our previous chapel that fateful night,” the sheriff lowers his head, and the crowd joins him, many of them quite awkwardly as the silence persists. After the moment is over, the sheriff raises his head and begins to speak again, “In remembering, let us also not allow these events to repeat themselves. I understand that a bonfire is planned for tonight. I urge you all to observe caution during this event,” the mayor nudges him, and he clears his throat and smiles awkwardly, “And don’t forget to enjoy yourselves. Now, let me introduce the next speaker: Cyrdak Drokkus, proprietor of the local theatre.”

He nods to the crowd and walks back to his chair, passing the next speaker who is already on his way to center stage. In quite a contrast to the Sheriff: this man is brightly dressed, sports a well-groomed goatee, and seems to be thoroughly enjoying the day. As he reaches the center stage, he loosens his collar a bit, winks into the crowd, and starts to talk, “Thank you for that uplifting oratory! Now, I know this town has been through some hard times, but look at what we've accomplished!”, he motions towards the church, “And I'm telling you, they spared no expense with this place. Father Zantus' chamber pot? Solid gold, I kid you not. Our generous nobles put a pretty into the construction of this joint. I even heard a rumor that the Gods themselves scrounged up four gold pieces to help build this thing! But don't take it from me! Father Zantus over here is the one with the direct line; he's the one you want to hear from! Before I let him start the festival, I would like to take this opportunity to extend my personal invitation to each and every one of you for my new production of The Harpy's Curse, starring the world-famous Allishanda! It'll premier tomorrow evening at the Sandpoint Theatre, and it is going to be fabulous! Now, join me in applause for his holiness himself, Father Zantus!”

The crowd cheers as Cyrdak motions the priest to the center stage. The young priest is noticeably abashed at the reception set up for him. He wears the traditional ceremonial robes of Desna and a silver holy symbol about his neck. He smiles and tries to calm the crowd down, eventually speaking when the applause has subsided, “Ahem. Thank you Cyrdak, and thank all of you for coming to join us on this most holy day! Today is a day of new beginnings, so without boring you with a long speech, I declare the Swallowtail Festival officially underway!”

Before a late lunch, various festival events are being held. You may perform in as many or as little as you want. The prize for winning is a simple wooden trophy with your name carved into it, and bragging rights, of course.

Game of Hide and Seek
Contestants must choose to hide or seek; they cannot do both. Hiders make a Stealth check to hide, and seekers make an opposed Perception check for every hider. Seekers search the town for good spots once and use the same bonus for all their rolls.
Both hiders and seekers may make a DC 10 Sandpoint Lore check to find a good spot to hide/look. For every two points above the DC, contestants gain a +1 bonus to their check. Contestants may look again, but doing so increases the DC by two every time. Contestants use the best bonus when making their hide/seek check.

Weight Lifting Challenge
Contestants make a DC 15 Strength check to initially pick up the weights, then they compete to be the last one standing. Starting at DC 10 and increasing by two every round, contestants make a Strength check to hold the weights. If they fail the Strength check, they may make a Constitution check using the same DC to endure the weight for one more round.
After failing the Constitution check, or one round after succeeding the Constitution check, the contestant drops the weight to the ground.

Balance Beam Contest
Each contestant performs three tricks, and their final score is the sum of their two highest scoring tricks.
Contestants first decide how many points their trick is worth, then make an Acrobatics check to execute the trick. The DC is 10 + 2 for every point the trick is worth. If contestants fail their Acrobatics check by five or more, they fall into the water below and are disqualified.
After executing a trick, contestants make a DC 10 visual Performance check to determine how well their trick was executed. For every two points above the DC, the contestant gains one bonus point for that trick.

Tug of War Event
Contestants must choose one of two teams to join for the event, and each team must choose a leader; the other contestants are called supporters.
Each round, the leaders make opposed Strength checks, including their special size modifier (-1 for Small, +0 for Medium) in the roll. The supporters make either a DC 10 Strength check to help pull or Charisma check to motivate their team. For every two points above the DC, the leader gains a +1 bonus to their roll.
The leader that wins the check pulls the opposing team toward the center by one foot plus one for every five points above the opposing roll. The first team to be pulled three feet toward the center loses.

Zero Prime
2020-08-16, 06:30 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/nrd9CXKv/Aeryn-thar-Varendiil.jpg
Aeryn thar Varendiil, Human Evoker (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2273111)
AC: 15 | HP: 15 | Class DC: 17
Fortitude: +4 | Reflex: +5 | Will: +7 | Perception: +5
Conditions: None.

Aeryn wasn't much for festivals, faires, or celebration, but he did know how to drink, and how to hold his alehouse swill, which is exactly what was in the tankard he had in his hands as the stuffed shirt leadership of Sandpoint made their grandiose speeches. The swill was from the Fatman's Feedbag, the tavern he was supposed to meet his Sczarni contact at. It was his third, one for breakfast with his crusty loaf, one after breakfast to wash down some cheap stew, and this, his third, while he wandered the streets, taking in the crowd.

Maybe it was the Feedbag's swill, or maybe it was a combination of the sun and the crisp autumn air, but Aeryn felt something of nostalgia flood his body while wandering the streets of Sandpoint, taking in the festival and the various games, the activites of the crowd and the excitement of children. A couple children were looking at his staff with wide eyes, so, on a whim, he produced a vivid green apple from his sleeve, went to bit into it, and it evaporated into a puff of glitter and smoke, which he then blew towards them, so they could smell the scent of fresh, tart, apples. Their laughs caught him off guard, so while the children's fathers all began to congregate at the tug of war, he distracted an ever growing crowd of children with simple prestidigitation, sleight of hand and the least of his magics.

Setting his, now, empty tankard beside him, he began juggling small balls of blue green fire, that he would then toss towards a young urchin, only to have it evaporate into smoke. The clink of a copper into his cup caught his attention, and he figured, what the hell, and began to put on a show for the children.

Faolan7
2020-08-16, 01:44 PM
You develop quite the audience after a few hours of performing. It is mostly children and their parents watching, however, a number of adults come to watch after hearing word of a magician. Your fireballs consistently startle their targets, making them fall backward into the crowd, but after recovering from the jumpscare, they begin laughing with the rest of the crowd.

After you finish your performance, you find that you've collected 20 copper coins in your tankard, as well as the attention of Sandpoint's citizens.

gargoyleking
2020-08-16, 08:13 PM
The crowd was disconcerting to Torrik. He'd been her just once before. Just a ten-day ago the place had had less than a quarter of the humans, even during the market's busy time. And he'd had no trouble then in crossing the square. Now though, the orc's senses were overwhelmed by the bright decorations, noise and crowd. And where normally he would expect people to move out of his path just out of sheer discomfort, now there was nowhere for any of them to go. And many were just simply not even aware of him until he tried to push past them.

He's only gotten a quarter of the way through when the crowd seemed to hush as a whole and the speeches began. Torrik had trouble keeping up with the nuances of the common tongue at any time, but now seemed worse due to the distance and echoing across the square. Still, he turned and tried to listen for now, especially as it had suddenly become nearly impossible to make any progress whatever. He decided that this was some sort of victory celebration and judging by the applause at the end of each speech the excitement seemed to ramp up even more. Then the last person spoke and everything seemed to erupt. The crowd seemed to shift and move of it's own accord, taking the orc along with it.

Starbin
2020-08-17, 12:43 AM
Entros, half-elven ranger (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2278212)

Entros sat up on the roof a nearby building, giving a perfect vantage of the speeches without having to push through throngs of visitors and celebrators. As he gazed across the other rooftops, he saw a smattering of like minded individuals. Locals knew about this trick, even if it was normally limited to just the town youth. Entros had spent enough time up here when he was a lad to remember it even after five long years.

The speeches were still boring, but a necessary evil to get to the Festival. As the mayor spoke, the half-elf’s mind wandered, thinking back to the last time he was here. He had spent the whole day prior to the festivities working down near the docks for coopers, hoping to have some money for sweets and treats. But that night, his step father burst into his room and stole his not-so-well hidden stash ... and then gave him a couple of snacks on the head. Entros still went to the Festival, but had to sneak and steal his treats.

Shaking his head at the bittersweet memories, he thought back to yesterday, when he had tried to find his parents. Even though he hoped to find some closure, it turned out his mother and step-father had mov d three years ago, last heard to be headed to Magnimar. It looked like he would have to wait to confront his personal demons.

”Thank you Cyrdak, and thank all of you for coming to join us on this most holy day! Today is a day of new beginnings, so without boring you with a long speech, I declare the Swallowtail Festival officially underway!”

Blinking, Entros watched as the crowd erupted in cheers. He sat for a bit, letting the crowds disperse before he slipped down to join the revelers. He wasn’t really up to playing any games, but he did pause to watch the strength completion.
OOC - Just a quick intro...
AC: 17 HP 20 Initiative +2
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 Move 30’
Skills: Nature (T) +4; Survival (T) +4; Lore: Herbalism (T) +3; Athletics (T) +5; Stealth (T) +4; Acrobatics (T) +4; Religion (T) +4; Lore: Ogres (T) +3
Class: Hunt Prey (gain bonuses against selected prey); Hunter's Edge: Flurry (Multi-attack pen is -3 (-2 w/agile) on 2nd attack, then -6 (-4 w/agile) on third)
Feats: Natural Ambition (AF, gain 1st lvl class feat); Twin Takedown (CF, attack twice, add damage vs resistance); Gravity Weapon (CF, gain FP1 and ability to cast spell); Natural Medicine (GF, use Nature to Treat Wounds); Fleet (GF, Gain 5’ speed)
Weapons: Light hammer (+76, 1d6+3B, Agile, Thrown 20’), Bastard sword (+6, 1d8+3S, 2H 1d12+3S), shortbow (+5, 1d6P, 60’ Rng, Deadly 1d10)
Effects: Low-Light vision

Zero Prime
2020-08-17, 06:27 AM
Aeryn thar Varendiil, Human Evoker (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2273111)

Aeryn lifted his tankard as he bowed to the crowd, "Let it not be said that the good people of Sandpoint are unkind, or unwelcome to strangers in their midst, to their fair town!" He nodded his thanks, and noticing several watchers on nearby roofs, an cunning method to observe the festivities with an unobstructed view of the events. He climbed to the nearby roof, and began to scan for his contact.

He noted the man on the opposite side of the peaked roof, noded his head. "I'd offer you a drink, but I am afraid my tankard has been empty since noon. For your hospitality, and the sharing of this fine roof, I would be grateful for the opportunity to buy you a tankard this afternoon." He extended a hand towards Entros, "Varendiil," a pause, "Aeryn thar Varendiil."

gargoyleking
2020-08-18, 02:30 AM
The orc eventually found a clearing of sorts over the heads of the crowd. He couldn't see what was happening, but feeling oddly claustrophobic, he pushed his way through until he found himself out of the press of people. One glance around was all it took to realize he'd made a mistake.

The eyes of every human in the area seemed to have locked onto him and the volume of the crowd seemed to drop to a hush. A rather large man in the center of the clearing with a strangely gravity defying mustache was the first to recover, he smiled broadly and waved his hands in Torrik's direction.

"And we have our first challenger ladies and gentlemen! What's your name good sir?"

For his part, Torrik was confused and he thought at first to depart. But there was nowhere to go. So he decided to respond. As he did he studied the scene, a long metal bar with even more metal affixed to either side in the form of solid disks lay in the center of a stage of sorts.

"I am Torrik, of the broken spear tribe."

"Excellent! Well Mr. Torrik! Would you like to test your strength? All you have to do is pick up that bar and hold it over your head for as long as you can!

"Ahh! A challenge is it? I accept!"

Torrik easily hefted the bar and held it for some seconds. At one point, the crowd gasped as he seemed to be struggling with the weight but then he caught his second wind and held on for a good bit longer before finally succumbing and having to drop the weight out of sheer muscle exhaustion.

Contestants make a DC 15 Strength check to initially pick up the weights, then they compete to be the last one standing. Starting at DC 10 and increasing by two every round, contestants make a Strength check to hold the weights. If they fail the Strength check, they may make a Constitution check using the same DC to endure the weight for one more round.
After failing the Constitution check, or one round after succeeding the Constitution check, the contestant drops the weight to the ground.
Strength (https://orokos.com/roll/839112): 1d20+3 22
Strength (https://orokos.com/roll/839113): 1d20+3 18
Strength (https://orokos.com/roll/839114): 1d20+3 13
Strength (https://orokos.com/roll/839115): 1d20+3 21
Strength (https://orokos.com/roll/839116): 1d20+3 15

Starbin
2020-08-18, 06:57 PM

Before he dropped from the roof, someone approached him - this one was no scrawny youth. Most likely the new owner of this establishment, hear to run him off and see the half-elf imprisoned! Peering at the man, Entros nodded his head slowly as the other spoke, shaking the outstretched hand hesitantly. After a few moments, he spoke. ”No worries, chum. It’s a free roof, or at least I think it is. But you’re probably a tax collector, her to charge me for my time, right?

Anyway, if your not here for money, nice to meet you Varendiil. I’m Entros. I’m a scout...
OOC - Just a quick intro...
Skills: Nature (T) +4; Survival (T) +4; Lore: Herbalism (T) +3; Athletics (T) +5; Stealth (T) +4; Acrobatics (T) +4; Religion (T) +4; Lore: Ogres (T) +3
Class: Hunt Prey (gain bonuses against selected prey); Hunter's Edge: Flurry (Multi-attack pen is -3 (-2 w/agile) on 2nd attack, then -6 (-4 w/agile) on third)
Feats: Natural Ambition (AF, gain 1st lvl class feat); Twin Takedown (CF, attack twice, add damage vs resistance); Gravity Weapon (CF, gain FP1 and ability to cast spell); Natural Medicine (GF, use Nature to Treat Wounds); Fleet (GF, Gain 5’ speed)
Weapons: Light hammer (+76, 1d6+3B, Agile, Thrown 20’), Bastard sword (+6, 1d8+3S, 2H 1d12+3S), shortbow (+5, 1d6P, 60’ Rng, Deadly 1d10)

TheHalbard
2020-08-18, 08:30 PM
Randal was relatively new to all this. Cities I mean. Most of his life had been spent with his orcish tribe a fair distance from Sandpoint. He knew two things in life, a great respect for dragons, and a hatred of giants. Hearing the roar of the crowd as the speech came to a conclusion served to put him on alert as he reached behind his back to grasp his great sword, eyes darting from side to side. He was eventually able to realize it was something akin to a cheer after a successful hunt, and he was calmed. Naturally, his hulking form found its way to the strength competition. He watched with great interest as this fellow orcish man walked over to the weights and seemed to heft it with ease. "Not bad." he muttered under his breath. "I wonder how he likes giants." He made his way up to the weights with some gasps from the gathered crowd. Being as large as he was drew attention often, even from his own tribesmen. Bending down to pick up the bar he may have overestimated himself, much to the crowd’s confusion. Pulling with all his might, he was entirely unable to lift the bar! Turning to the other orc with a baffled look on his face he says. "You, what is your name? You are very strong. I would like to know more about you. My name is Randal!" All of this said in a challenging, rushed voice despite the instant respect gained for the man.

Rolls:

Strength: 1d20 + 4 11

Faolan7
2020-08-18, 08:44 PM
"And... 30 seconds!", shouts the announcer as Torrik drops the weights, "That's long enough to threaten our reigning champion!"

There is a short period of quiet murmuring in the crowd, but it is quickly hushed as a large orc pushes his way though the crowd. Randal tries with all his might to lift the weight, but despite his obvious strength, is seemingly unable to. The crowd starts laughing at the humiliating display, and after recovering, the announcer dismisses Randal from the center, "Ho ho! Tough luck big guy! Maybe you'll do better next year!"

Constitution for Torrik to hold out a bit longer: 22! A natural 20 makes that a critical success, allowing you to hold out for two more rounds instead of just one, bringing your time from 18 seconds to 30.

gargoyleking
2020-08-18, 09:29 PM
Having to spend a few moments himself to recover from his attempt, Torrik had a chance to watch Randal's attempt. The pink-ling had a strong build, but hadn't braced himself properly. He liked the appreciative tone though and decided it was worth responding to the question.

"I am Torrik of the Broken Spear. You are strong as well. But you must brace yourself before you lift such a weight. Try it again with the blessing of the gods.

Torrik will cast guidance, technically it's only for skill checks but I figure it would be viable for this as well. +1 status nonus to his next check in a turn.

TheHalbard
2020-08-18, 09:59 PM
Closing his eyes for a moment with a short prayer to Apsu, he turned to stare down the barbell. With new found confidence given to him by Torrik, he braced as he reached down to pull the bar up once again. This time he was able to hoist the bar up, although with great strain. As every muscle in his body tensed, he closed his eyes giving over full focus to the massive weight above him. Maybe that was his mistake? Or perhaps he'd simply reached his limit. But as the weight began to drop, he was able to muster some form of determination from deep inside to keep the weight up just a little longer. Dropping it after a better performance than before, he turned to look for Torrik, intrigued by a possible partnership. It seems he's capable of much more with a little help.

Rolls:
Strength: 1d20 + 4 + 1 18
Strength: 1d20 + 4 9
Constitution: 1d20 + 3 23 (Critical)

Faolan7
2020-08-18, 11:18 PM
The crowd roars as Randal tries again and manages to pick up the weight, then is silent as he struggles to hold it above his head. As the massive orc drops the weight, the announcer shouts, "12 seconds! That's much better my friend! Unfortunately though, I'm not allowed to give you another chance. Perhaps you can prove yourself stronger than your friend in another event!"

gargoyleking
2020-08-19, 02:19 AM
Torrik, ignoring the announcer claps Randal on the shoulder.

"The gods smile on you. Let us go find a place with less... Noise. And maybe some of that 'piss water' they call ale here."

He indicated the crowded square in general, people, decorations and all. And turns to exit the clearing in the direction of the nearest street.

Zero Prime
2020-08-19, 06:06 AM

Aeryn chuckled, "Tax collector?" He clapped the larger man on the shoulder and lifted his mug, the rattle of coin reminding him it was full of coin and not ale house swill. "Hardly, just a man taking in the festival."

He watched the strength competition, Torrik, the odd half blooded orc seemed to be doing well at the test of strength. "Mayhap we go buy the ork-blood a drink to celebrate his victory?" He elbowed Entros' side, pointing in the direction of the roaring crowd, shaking his tankard, a twinkle in his eye. "I seem to have come into some coin this morning."

Starbin
2020-08-19, 05:07 PM

Entros gave a sidelong glance at Varendiil and his mug of money. He slowly turned his gaze to the weight lifting competition, spotting the large, brutish winner below. It had been years since he attended the games here, but Entros still remembered the huge man who won the competition the last time he was home. He murmured aloud, “I remember the champ the year I left home, a hulking mountain of a man who called himself Korag the Bastard. He lifted the weight as easily as you heft that tankard of coin. He must have kept it up there for a full minute ... then he held it one-handed for another thirty seconds before he finally dropped the weight with an enormous grunt. I wonder what happened to him ... “

Entros didn’t share that he had been infatuated with Korag, dreaming the man was actually his real father. He even took his name, the Half-Bastard, from the adventurer. Shaking his mind clear, Entros turned to Varendiil and shrugged. Chances were the man was going to drug him and sell his body to a necromancer for parts. But on the other hand, it was a free drink. Or two ...

Entros finally nodded. ”Aye, a drink sounds good. Especially in someone buying

Anyway, if your not here for money, nice to meet you Varendiil. I’m Entros. I’m a scout...
OOC - Wonder Twin powers activate - form of a party!
Skills: Nature (T) +4; Survival (T) +4; Lore: Herbalism (T) +3; Athletics (T) +5; Stealth (T) +4; Acrobatics (T) +4; Religion (T) +4; Lore: Sandpoint (T) +3

Zero Prime
2020-08-19, 05:51 PM

"The year you left home?" He muttered to his new companion as he hopped down the roof, making his way through the crowds towards the two orc blooded men at the crest of the hill. "Local boy, returned home after finding fame and fortune then, eh?" Moving deftly against the press of the crowd, the lanky fellow led the way for the broad shouldered ranger.

On clearing the throng of gathered spectators, Aeryn called out to cursed half orc. They had spoken, over ale, of matters mystic and arcane, comparing philosophies on certain mysteries and enigmas that practitioners often did, the oracles insights, while not always accurate, had, on occasion, proven useful in Aeryn's studies of Thassilonian ruins and places of power. "Torrik! You foul smelling bastard! Congratulations on your trophy," a sarcastic smile shone from the scholar's face, "I'd say you and your Ork friend have earned a pint! On the house!" And he shook the tankard, which clinked and clattered with the sound of coin.

OOC: Just trying to get the PC's into one spot. Also going with the fact that Torrik and Aeryn have worked together before, trying to decipher Thassilonian runes, or discover relics of that once great empire.

gargoyleking
2020-08-19, 09:28 PM
Torrik looked up at the sound of his name coming from a somewhat familiar voice. It was that human mage he'd met over drinks with some weeks ago. Of course, by the time he could hear his name being called they were already nearly upon him.

"Errine! Your 'creature' turned out to be a large swamp toad. Good eating, but not a worthy trophy. We were just looking to leave this place."

He'd not yet mastered the trick of saying Aeryn's name, something about it just caught in a weird way on his tongue.
Torrik's the full orc btw.

TheHalbard
2020-08-20, 05:06 PM
Randal having followed Torrik wherever he was going continued to do so while keeping an eye on the newfound allies. Somehow he had more trust for the proven strength of Torrik than for the unknown human. The half-Elven man is interesting to him though, perhaps he shares in the "half" plight.

Storm Vermin
2020-08-20, 07:15 PM
Kabbi Bronzedew, Dwarven Druid (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2275686)

The Sandpoint festival reminded Kabbi of grand market days his clan held every few months. Travelers from far and wide would gather in the Bronzedew encampment to trade their wares for fine dwarven goods. However, the people of Sandpoint clearly partied harder than Kabbi's kin and the druid quickly found himself overwhelmed by the onslaught of sounds, smells and sights.

Thankfully, he spotted a familiar face in the crowd gathered around the weight-lifting competitors. "Well met, Master Entros!" he approached the half-elf with a wide smile. "Got tired of the mosquitos around Skull River, eh?" He turned towards the strange men gathered nearby. "I don't think we've met before, right? Name's Kabbi Bronzedew. Now, I heard something about drinks? I'd say that feat of strength deserves a mug of ale or two!" Kabbi attempted to pat Torrik on the shoulder, but his hand reached only halfway up the middle of the orc's back.

gargoyleking
2020-08-20, 08:32 PM
Torrik bristled at first instinct from the un-inviyed touch, but he restrained himself and nodded aqwardly to the dwarf, as if he were still learning certain social protocols.

"Torrik of the Broken Spear tribe. Let us away, from here. And see to that 'ale'."

Torrik led the way towards the tavern he'd met Aeryn at.

Faolan7
2020-08-20, 09:26 PM
The streets become less and less crowded as the group heads towards the docks and Fatman's Feedbag. Upon entering, you all notice that the tavern is fairly quiet, likely due to the festivities occurring outside. A few moments later, an enormous human steps out from the kitchen, "Ah! Aeryn, Torrik! Great to see you again! I see you've brought some friends along as well! Please, take a seat anywhere. I'll be right back with some drinks."

A minute or so passes as you take your seats, and the man returns with five tankards of ale that he sets down in front of everyone, "You lot aren't one for festivities, eh? I'd 'ave thought that Aeryn would want to get some fresh air after spending so much time 'ere."

Starbin
2020-08-21, 11:41 AM

It turned out this fellow knew the orc, but the half-blood as silent. However, the gaze the silent man offered was a little intense ... and mildly disconcerting. Was this an elaborate trap where he was being led away to be experimented upon by a cabal of mad mages, or should he take this all at face value? Before he could decide, he head a booming voice from the crowd and turned to see a squat figure approaching. After a moment, he recognized the dwarf. ”Ho there Kabbi. The Order didn’t need any more help. They headed north and I came home.”

Entros pauses as the word left his mouth. It felt weird ... ‘home.’ Is that what Sandpoint was? Or had it stopped being that years ago? He fell silent as the group made their way to the inn and found a seat. When the big man came over and started to chat, he murmured ”Just waitin’ on the food contest. That’s always the best part. That, and the pretty girls.

But mostly the food.”
OOC - more RP
Skills: Nature (T) +4; Survival (T) +4; Lore: Herbalism (T) +3; Athletics (T) +5; Stealth (T) +4; Acrobatics (T) +4; Religion (T) +4; Lore: Sandpoint (T) +3

TheHalbard
2020-08-21, 01:21 PM
Having the ale set in front of him Randal downed it very quickly. Starting to feel a bit more like the outsider due to everyone being connected prior, he resolved to imbibe himself to take the edge off. "So are you all here for the festival? Or is something greater drawing you together?"

gargoyleking
2020-08-21, 05:22 PM
Torrik looked relueved to have escaped the crowd. Seeing the mostly empty tavern the orc actually smiled as he took a seat with his back to a wall. He asjed for a second round even as he was served his first, and also quickly downed his tankard.

"Too many humans and far too loud. Is this a celebration for some great victory? What enemy has been conquered?"

Zero Prime
2020-08-22, 09:58 AM

"Ah! Aeryn, Torrik! Great to see you again! I see you've brought some friends along as well! Please, take a seat anywhere. I'll be right back with some drinks."

A minute or so passes as you take your seats, and the man returns with five tankards of ale that he sets down in front of everyone, "You lot aren't one for festivities, eh? I'd 'ave thought that Aeryn would want to get some fresh air after spending so much time 'ere."

Aeryn laughed, slamming a handful of coin on the table, "Gressil you fat bastard!," the wizard replied in a jovial manner, "I bring this hovel some business and this is the thanks I get, pour some ale my man!" As he waited for Gressil to bring the crew a round, he looked at the odd assemblage of characters, a self professed scout, a cursed orc, and a half blood orc warrior, and one of the mountain folk. Curious ...

"Torrik I know, the fool smells like blood and iron even after being thrown into a river and scrubbed til his green skin bleeds red. Another I met on a roof, Entros, a scout of no small skill. To you others I am stranger, so allow me to introduce myself, I am Aeryn thar Varendiil, and while my business is my own, I find myself in Sandpoint during the festivites, and sought to enjoy them." As the first round hit the table, he picked up a tankard, "So here's to us! To those like us! Damn few and likely dead!" With that he slammed his tankard back, before slamming it back to the scarred oaken table top, "Gentlemen! May your coffin's be made of century old oak, and may we plant the seeds on the 'morrow."

A smile, "Now who the hell are y'all and what brings you to Sandpoint?"

Starbin
2020-08-22, 05:44 PM

Entros took a sniff of his drink, before he took a hesitant sip. He swirled the sip for a moment, before swallowing as he considered the question. ”I came back to clear some things up. Festival was a bonus.”

Entros turned to the others to see what they had to say.
OOC - more RP

gargoyleking
2020-08-22, 11:21 PM
Torrik frowned slightly and took a sniff at himself. Then shrugged before speaking.

"It is true enough. I am blessed by gods unknown to my people and thus am outcast.

Storm Vermin
2020-08-23, 06:08 PM
Kabbi Bronzedew, Dwarven Druid
(https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2275686)
Kabbi snorted in response to Aeryn's toast. "I think you just wished me an early death!" he laughed and downed his mug in one big gulp. "Nah, I appreciate the sentiment."

The dwarf considered how much to share with his new drinking companions. "I came here to visit the local stablemaster on behalf of a friend. But the land around here is so beautiful I just had to stay for a few days more!" Kabbi's eyes lighted up with enthusiasm.

Faolan7
2020-08-23, 08:40 PM
Responding to Entros, the man says, "Hmm. A food-eatin' contest... Now that's an idea my boy! Unfortunately we don't 'ave one a those t'day, but lunch is on us local taverns, so I'd reckon you could stuff yerself then."

"I'd 'ave thought that you'd know what today was already Torrik! Why, today is the Swallowtail festival! We be celebratin' the end of 'arvest-time and the lady Desna herself!"

"Ho ho Aeryn! I'll bring another round out right away!" Gressil says as he returns to the kitchen.

Starbin
2020-08-23, 09:14 PM

Entros frowned, then shook his head. ”No, not a good eating competition ... a food contest, where local chefs cook their best.

Unless they don’t do that anymore?” . He looked up, crestfallen.
OOC - more RP

TheHalbard
2020-08-23, 10:22 PM
"Good to meet you Aeryn. My name is Randal and you will not find me wanting for courage. I'll leave the smarts to you. Evidently you will find me wanting from time to time in terms of strength." Randal chuckled a little to himself, mostly over his earlier embarrassment. "From what I've heard there are some giants in the area that are mobilizing. I've come just in case the townspeople need help with the potential incursion. Can't say I much hate slaying the bastards anyway. You could even say I specialize in it." Randal glances around checking to see if their is anyone in the tavern paying him close attention.

gargoyleking
2020-08-23, 11:48 PM
"You celebrate a harvest? Food is important, but my people only celebrate great battles and great hunts."

The orc turns at Randal's mention of battling giants. "Giants? Yes, giants would provide worthy trophies."

Zero Prime
2020-08-24, 08:37 AM

Aeryn looked approvingly at Randal, "Giants you say?" He tore off the crust of a loaf left on the table with the latest round of ale. "Those are tough bastards, if you make a habit of crossing blade with them, you must be useful in a fight. Could use that next time we go into the field, eh?" With that he gave Torrik a shot in the shoulder. "Last time me and old Torrik here went into the field, we had heard a rumor of some Thassilonian ruins, figured we might be able to get a charcoal of any runes that hadn't been scoured clean by wind and rain." He chuckled, "Instead we almost ended up in some goblin pots, had to jump into the Velashu River, and we got swept out into the Bay."

Another drink, and a laugh, "Half drowned better than cooked and eaten."

Starbin
2020-08-24, 11:04 AM

Entros nodded faintly as the others spoke. After a moment, he spoke. ”Giants? Near Sandpoint? I know they’re on the Steppes, but haven’t heard they’ve come this far south. Ogres, yes, and they’re as close to giants as I’d like to see up front. Here’s hoping we never see one. Likely we’ll end up drowning in a pot of boiling water ... AND cooked and eaten... “
OOC - nothing more yet.

Storm Vermin
2020-08-25, 04:46 AM
"A good harvest is reason enough to celebrate, especially for folks that had to endure all the unpleasantness in the past few years. And it would be a sorry excuse for a festival without a feast!"

Kabbi's face darkened when the topic shifted to giant-kin. The blasted ogres are bad enough without something even bigger and uglier showing up. Let's hope these are just rumors." The dwarf sighed, leaned back and patted his belly. "All this talk of cooking is making me hungry. The inn-keeper mentioned something about lunch, didn't he?"

Faolan7
2020-08-25, 05:50 PM
Before he returns to the kitchen, Gressil responds to Entros, "Ah! I misunderstood ya! Aye. The taverns 'ere in Sandpoint are cookin' their finest meals for the festival. I'd reckon that the food'll start being served soon, but I must finish preparing here, so I'll see y'all at the feast!" Gressil says jovially as he leaves the group to their drinks.

He is absent for your conversation about giants and giant-kin.

gargoyleking
2020-08-26, 11:01 AM
Torrik grunts in response to the dwarf's explanation, not really having anything more to add to the subject. Once he gets his second ale, he leans back in his chair to enjoy it and to study this strange gathering of people.

TheHalbard
2020-08-26, 01:04 PM
"Well if my call to action against giants isn't unanimous, what are all of you here to accomplish more specifically?" Randal attempts to flag down a second mug of ale seeing Torrik relax drinking his.

gargoyleking
2020-08-26, 03:30 PM
"I come here to learn of powerful and strange beasts which I plan to hunt."

Zero Prime
2020-08-27, 08:35 AM

Aeryn considered his motivations very seriously for a moment, "Accumulation of wealth, power, and knowledge." Another drink of ale, a furrowed brow, "And a score to settle," a crooked smile, "in time." He stood up, draining his tankard, "Now shall we find the meals spread out for the festival? I'm not one to give thanks to the gods," a pause, "for they are far too cruel and capricious, but I will savor their fare at the banquet table, eh?"

Starbin
2020-08-27, 09:09 AM

Entros eyed the others quietly, not quite sure what to make of this odd group of folk. However, he did get a free ale and marked a couple of faces for later. Perhaps friendly, perhaps plotting their inevitable betrayal, who was to know? But for now, food did sound delicious. Even if this were a plot to poison his meal, he'd accept his fate if it came by way of one of Ameiko Kaijitsu's famous offerings.

Draining his drink, he rose and nodded to the door. ”Best we head to the Rusty Dragon. Some say save the best for last, but I say grab what you can now, for who among us knows what Death is plotting? 'Sides, the lines get way too long if you don't go early, and you don't want her to run out.

Gods or no, you'll be thanking someone or something after you try one of Ms. Kaijitsu's Festival meals.“ He said the last with a nod to Aeryn.
OOC - Moving along. Figure we could head for the Rusty Inn first, then go from there :smallsmile:

gargoyleking
2020-08-27, 06:06 PM
"Then we shall feast tonight, and pray that tomorrow may bring us glorious battle."

Yep, I'm ready to FF to the next scene.

Storm Vermin
2020-08-28, 04:20 PM
"If the food a thet Rusty Dragon is half as good as you give it credit for, then I must try it. Let's go and see if they're set up!"

Faolan7
2020-08-30, 06:21 PM
You all make your way back to the church square. Upon arriving, you find that many tables and benches have been set up and people are sitting throughout eating. There are also four distinct groups of people on an edge of the square, and a large, covered wagon sits in the middle of the square.

Approaching the groups, you learn that the local taverns are serving food for the festival, free of charge. The Rusty Dragon is serving curry-spiced salmon with winterdrop mead, and has the largest group; The Hagfish is serving lobster chowder; Risa's Place is serving spiced potatoes with cider; and The White Deer is serving peppercorn venison.

gargoyleking
2020-09-01, 09:20 AM
Torrik peels off at the smell of venison, but he seems put off by the large crowd. He isn't afraid of humans individually, but the crowds give him pause.

Faolan7
2020-09-01, 04:21 PM
As Torrik pauses near the table for the White Deer, he hears the human male standing behind the table call out to him, "Hey there! Come get a taste of our fresh venison! It was killed only yesterday and is seasoned with the finest peppercorns!"

gargoyleking
2020-09-01, 11:55 PM
Torrik stands back for a few moments to figure out the dynamics of the crowd. And realizing the generally cooperative nature of the line he gets into it himself. As he gets to the table he mimicks the people before him, collecting a plate and utensils which he holds out to recieve the food.

Starbin
2020-09-02, 06:06 PM

Entros joined the group outside, his nose already alive with the smells of food from all over. He watched as Torrik paused and joined the line at the White Deer. The scout didn’t say anything but kept on his course - he couldn’t see what the food was yet, but his goal was the Rusty Dragon. As he neared the tables set up outside, he began to taste curry on the air. Quickening his stride, he slipped into line as quickly as he could, mouth watering as he saw the perfect filets of salmon lined up on trays.
OOC - Still headed to the tables for the Rusty Dragon.

TheHalbard
2020-09-03, 01:03 AM
Knowing nothing of these foods, Randal followed Torrik to stand in line. He awkwardly grabbed the utensils alongside him figuring if he followed Torrik's lead he would only look half as stupid in this unknown environment. He also kept a close eye on the rest of the party, caring little for the crowds and festivities.

Faolan7
2020-09-03, 04:56 PM
Torrik and Randal, you are able to move through the line and get your food fairly quickly. The man behind the table is tall, dark-skinned, and looks remarkably similar to the local sheriff. When you arrive at the table, he gives you a decently sized steak, "Thanks for stopping by! There's more where this came from at the White Deer!"

Entros, compared to the other lines, it takes you some time to move through and get your food. Though this is due to the sheer quantity of people, not inefficiency of the tavern owner. The person behind the counter is a beautiful, exotic-looking woman you know as Ameiko Kaijitsu. When you finally make it to the table, she gives you a plate of salmon and a tankard of mead, "Thank you for coming. I hope you enjoy the rest of your day!"

Starbin
2020-09-04, 02:15 PM

It had been awhile since Entros had seen Ameiko Kaijitsu, but she seemed the same as ever, if perhaps a bit more worn around the eyes. But weren't they all? He nodded awkwardly, taking the plate and mug, almost fumbling both, but catching his balance before spilling a drop. He mumbled, "Thanks much, ma'am ... best food this side of ... the town, I guess ..."

He would just have to go out on a limb that she hadn't been replaced with a changeling, or wasn't some evil twin hoping to poison the town on their day of celebration! It was plausible ... but the food smelled too good to give it much thought. He glanced around to see he was alone, then shrugged and found a spot to lean against a wall and enjoy his treat.
OOC - Yumm!

Zero Prime
2020-09-05, 02:48 PM

Aeryn recognized that look in Entros' eye, it had been in his own often enough. Truth be told, it still was, he just hid it well. He walked over to the scout, leaned against the wall beside him. "See how you're looking at people, preparing yourself for the worst, you look like a young buck with their legs not yet under them, staring down at the approaching lantern's of a stage coach." He plucked a piece of salmon off of the ranger's plate, popped it into his mouth, "I admire caution, it speaks of a keen mind, but you need to let your guard down once in a while." A smile, but there was something deep in his eyes, hidden memories, "you carry that fear of betrayal around with you long enough, you drive a wedge between yourself and those who could lend a hand when troubling times do arrive."

gargoyleking
2020-09-06, 01:50 PM
Once he and Randal had their plates, Torrik looked for the others and moved in their direction. By the time they had come uppn them, he'd decided to stab his fork directly into the meat and use it as a skewer. Now he was happily tearing a chunk off of the whole with his yeesh.

"Human food tastes so strange, but this is good."

He seemed completely unaware of what was being said before he arrived.

Faolan7
2020-09-07, 06:41 PM
While you are eating your food, Father Zantus, accompanied by two acolytes, walk out from the church to the covered wagon. The crowd slowly quiets as they realize what is happening, and once the crowd is sufficiently quiet, Father Zantus begins speaking, “Long ago, there was a fierce battle between the goddesses Desna and Lamashtu. After the battle, Desna fell to Golarian and was fatally injured. Our goddess would have perished if it were not for the generosity of a blind orphan. To express her gratitude, Desna transformed the orphan into a beautiful, immortal butterfly so that the child could explore the wonders of the world for all eternity. We honor the orphan today with this ceremony.” After he finishes speaking, the acolytes pull off the wagon cover, and thousands of swallowtail butterflies swarm into the air, and children jump from the benches to chase the butterflies.

gargoyleking
2020-09-08, 04:17 AM
Torrik listens to the announcement and seems confused by the concepts in general. Indeed, he seems confounded by the release of the butterflies. But as the kids start to chase them around he nods and smiles in apprecuation.

"Ahh, this is a way to train your younglings to hunt... But would it not be better with thorn moths? At least those might sting the hand that grasps them incorrectly."

TheHalbard
2020-09-08, 01:48 PM
After the showy display put on and Torrik's comment Randal comments out loud "Hunting these butterflies? If that's how they teach their young my half breed blood has never felt worse." a slight chuckle at the end of the words. "Seems people aren't too worried about the giants around here. Haven't seen a single individual talking about it."

Starbin
2020-09-08, 03:46 PM

Entros raised an eyebrow to Varendiil, quiet for a moment at the other's words. Then he shrugged after a moment, with a lop-sided half smile. "Not sure I'm quite that skittish, but who knows. You probably see this mug as half full ... others see it as half empty. I see it and wonder, what the hell did that bartender slip in my drink?

Way I figure it, expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed." He eyed his drink closely for a long moment, sniffing it twice, before he winked at the robed man and downed his mug.

Once the others joined them, he was quiet for a moment, turning to watch the butterflies released. He snorted at the comments, shaking his head. "Ain't for training ... just for fun. Most fun some of these younglings will have until next festival." His eyes got a far away look for a moment, then focused back on the others. "Anyway, giants? No, you won't get much by way of giant-talk. Except for the Ferry and the Steppes, giants don't make it this far usually. Maybe Magnimar would have more chatter ...

No excuse me ... I'm getting more fish."

Entros rose to get back in line for some more salmon ... and perhaps another pint.
OOC - Just chatting ...

gargoyleking
2020-09-10, 12:45 PM
As Entros walks away, Torrik looks back to the others.

"But is training oneself for the hunt or for battle not 'fun'? I have always enjoyed such..."

He doesn't seem particularly worried about recieving an answer, but he does look back to the children and butterflies, absently rubbing a scar on his hand in the proccess.

Faolan7
2020-09-10, 05:03 PM
After you all eat your fill, you meander around town until the evening bonfire. The festival games are no longer running during the afternoon and the taverns are closed to rest from lunch, so the town is much quieter than it was this morning. Children still run through the streets, playing various games, and there are groups of adults chattering throughout the town.
As the sun begins to set, you all make your way back to the church square along with the rest of the town. Father Zantus is already standing on the stage that was set up earlier in the day. Once the crowd has grown to a sufficient size, a sharp retort, like the crack of distant thunder, slices through the excited crowd as Father Zantus throws a stone to the ground. A stray dog that has crawled under a nearby wagon to sleep starts awake, and the buzz of two dozen conversations quickly hushes as all heads turn toward the central podium, where a beaming Father Zantus has taken the stage. He clears his throat, takes a breath to speak, and suddenly a woman’s scream slices through the air. A few moments later, another scream rises, then another. Beyond them, a sudden surge of strange new voices rises-high-pitched, tittering shrieks that sound not quite human. The crowd parts and something low to the ground races by, giggling with disturbing glee as the stray dog gives a pained yelp and then collapses with a gurgle, its throat cut open from ear to ear. As blood pools around its head, the raucous sound of a strange song begins, chanted from shrill, scratchy voices.

"Goblins chew and goblins bite.
Goblins cut and goblins fight.
Stab the dog and cut the horse,
Goblins eat and take by force!

Goblins race and goblins jump.
Goblins slash and goblins bump.
Burn the skin and mash the head,
Goblins here and you be dead!

Chase the baby, catch the pup.
Bonk the head to shut it up.
Bones be cracked, flesh be stewed,
We be goblins! You be food!"

The crowd quickly flees the square; some scatter into the streets while others flee into the nearby buildings. Aeryn notices all three goblins hiding behind a nearby wagon. Kabbi and Entros only notice the goblin standing atop the dog. Torrik is caught up in the confusion and notices nothing.

Combat begins! Here is the link to the battlemap (https://www.icloud.com/numbers/096VwHSsfPAnyn67b9Yd46NHQ#Rise_of_the_Runelords_Ma ps).
I personally play very conservatively, so I would encourage y'all to take an action instead of letting me take it for you so I can learn your playstyles. If you're worried about the rules, just say what you want to do, and I'll fit it in with the mechanics best I can. Also, don't worry about waiting for initiative to post your action. I can override your action, especially if your target was killed.

Initiative:
Aeryn: 17+5 = 22!
Torrik: 1+3 = 4
Kabbi: 13+7 = 20
Randal: 5+6 = 11
Entros: 6+7 = 13

gargoyleking
2020-09-10, 07:53 PM
Torrik's senses had already been well and overwhelmed by this point. Orcs could be loud, yes. But they tended towards quietness most of the time. He knew humans weren't always this noisy, but they could keep it up for an awfully long time. So when the priest threw down his stone, the unexpectedly loud bang was enough to set the orcs ears to ringing.

By the time he'd recovered well enough to know what was going on, the square was emptied, and his new aquaintances were fighting goblins. Wondering if this was some strange battle game of the festival, Torrik drew his bastard sword and moved up to attack the nearest of the goblins that he could reach.

Assuming they aren't all dead before he can get there, and he can get to one in a 25 ft move...

Bastard Sword 2H (https://orokos.com/roll/845676): 1d20+6 19 1d12+3 10

Zero Prime
2020-09-10, 08:34 PM

Aeryn enjoyed his day in the company of strangers, partaking of food, and, indulging, perhaps a little too heavily, in the ale of Sandpoint. However, after the luncheon celebrations, the festivities died down some, gave the man time to learn more of his companions, and what brought them to the area. He slowly switched from libations to water, as the day progressed, he wanted his wits about him when he managed to arrange a meeting with his Scarzni contact.

In the evening the father took the podium, some grandoise sermon about the wonders of Desna, no doubt. However, things soon devolved into chaos, goblin raiders had infiltrated the festival, their connection to the days festivities was lost on the mage, and something that could be determined after the threat to the locals was neutralized. He forced memories of slavers raiding his own village from his head, stepped ahead of the group, threw back his cloak, his fingers moved through a series of complex gestures, until the ghostly image of a disc appeared before him, "By the dazzling light of Agamotto's eye, thus shall you be blinded!" A surge of energy flowed through the holographic rune, and exploded forward into a dazzling spectrum of light, blinding their foes!

OOC: Single action to move from J15, to the North-West, ending at H12. Then two Actions to cast Color Spray (https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=44), widened to a 20' cone, which should get all three Goblins. Forcing a DC 17 Will save from each of them.

Faolan7
2020-09-12, 12:38 AM
Round 1
Aeryn:
Two of the goblins blink from the bright light before snarling at you, but one of them is frozen, eyes blank. You suspect your spell was particularly effective against that creature.
Actions:
(1) Stride from J15 to H11
(2) Cast Color Spray

DC 17 Will save for Color Spray:
Goblin 1: 19+3 = 22 Success
Goblin 2: 3+3 = 6! Critical Failure
Goblin 3: 14+3 = 17 Success

Goblin
Squinting against the light, the nearest goblin to Aeryn climbs onto the cart and jumps at Aeryn with its sword, dealing 6 damage!
Actions:
(2) Climb onto cart from H9 to H10
(1) Strike at Aeryn

Strike:
Flat DC 5 Concealment test: 6 Success
Attack roll: 12+8+1 = 21 Hit!
Damage: 6

Kabbi
Kabbi charges forward, seeking to protect his newfound companion. Striking at the goblin with his club, he deals 6 damage, knocking it to the ground. Then he raises his shield, preparing for a strike against him.
Actions:
(1) Stride from H15 to G11
(1) Strike with Club at Goblin 3
(1) Raise Shield

Strike:
Attack roll: 16+6 = 22 Hit!
Damage: 3+3 = 6

Entros
Entros runs to the front lines, drawing his sword and hammer. He slices the furthest goblin in twain, then he throws his hammer at the remaining goblin. However, the throw is weak and doesn't seem to affect the goblin.
Actions:
(1) Stride twice from I16 to I11
(1) Strike with Bastard Sword at Goblin 1
(1) Strike (Throw) with Light Hammer at Goblin 2

First Strike:
Attack roll: 18+6 = 24 Hit!
Damage: 8

Second Strike:
Attack roll: 12+6-4 = 14 Miss...

Randal
Randal runs into the fray, and slices at the remaining goblin twice, cutting it into pieces.
Actions:
(2) Sudden Charge from I14 to G10
(1) Strike with Greatsword at Goblin 2

Sudden Charge Strike:
Attack: 12+7 = 19 Hit!
Damage: 1+4 = 5

Strike:
Attack: 17+7-5 = 19 Hit!
Damage: 3+4 = 7
As the fight dies down, you can see that the town has devolved into chaos; goblins run through the streets, singing as they slash indiscriminately at whatever they can find.

gargoyleking
2020-09-13, 12:39 AM
Torrik doesn't sheath his sword as he moves up to inspect the goblins corpses.

"Is this another aspect of celebration in some way? It desn't make sense, if so. They are only goblins, but the humans seem to have all fled."

The orc looks about judging threats and attempting to decide on the next course of action.

Starbin
2020-09-13, 01:54 AM

Entros glanced at the group next to him. One minute they were eating, drinking and waiting for the closing ceremonies for the night, the next minute and all he’ll broke out with the streets overrun by goblins. He had entered the fray without a thought, blade and hammer dealing out pain. But as quickly as the initial fray started, the area around them was clear.

Entros moved over to gather his hammer, muttering to no one in particular, "And that’s why I expect the worst ... " To Torrik, he frowned. "These are regular folk - most of them don’t even own a weapon, let alone know how to fight. Now let’s get moving before these things do too much damage."

Entros readied his weapon’s and headed for the loudest screams ....
OOC - can we pursue more goblins or help the town out elsewhere?

gargoyleking
2020-09-13, 10:12 AM
"Ahh, so this is an attack. Good, I will gladly do battle against these goblins."

Without another thought, the orc turns towards the loudest source of disturbance and heads that direction.

Assuming everyone follows him, he'll moderate his speed if neccesary to let everyone keep up. But he's definitely looking to take point.

Faolan7
2020-09-13, 10:14 AM
Suddenly, a bloom of fire engulfs a nearby wagon. Soon after, you hear the cackles and shrieks of another group of goblins.

Combat begins anew! The link should be the same, but here it is again (https://www.icloud.com/numbers/096VwHSsfPAnyn67b9Yd46NHQ#Rise_of_the_Runelords_Ma ps) in case you haven't/don't want to save it.

Also, unless you prefer me setting up combat, I'll let you guys roll Initiative in your first post. As always, I'll roll it for you if you don't post. The Initiative roll is Perception.

gargoyleking
2020-09-13, 10:29 AM
Torrik grinned in delight as another group of enemies presented themselves to him. The orc barrels forth and swings his sword at any that he can reach.

Slow initiative again, but it looks like most of them are acting faster than he is and may move at least once if not twice before he can. That said, he'll get into melee with at least 2 if possible and if he gets 2 attacks will focus on one target (if it survives the first attack.)
Initiative(Perception) (https://orokos.com/roll/846545): 1d20+3 10
Bastard Sword 2h (https://orokos.com/roll/846546): 1d20+6 19 1d20+1 5 2#1d12+3 11 12

Zero Prime
2020-09-13, 10:36 AM
AC: 16 | HP: 9 of 15 | Class DC: 17
Conditions: Shield Spell (+1 AC & Shield Block reaction (Hardness: 5)).

Aeryn grunted, as the goblin's rusted looking sword carved through his robes, skipping along his ribs. He felt the wet flow of blood against his chest, and knew, full well, he would need the aid of a healer before long. However, his attention was quickly drawn to the south and east, where another large gathering of the raiders was looking towards the group.

A little more cautious now, he moved his hands in another complex series of gestures, while tracing out a rune of protection in the air. Satisfied that the arcane shield would hold, he took careful aim, and focused his arcane energy on the lead goblin. "Alright friends, let's make sure those little bastards don't swarm us like the scavengers they are."

OOC: Initative Check; Perception +5, with a +2 circumstance bonus from Incredible Initiative, [roll0]. When Aeryn's turn comes around, I will cast Shield with 1 Action, and then Ready an Action (2 Actions), to cast Force Bolt (1 Action), at the first attacker to come within 30' of Aeryn, dealing [roll1] points of force damage.

TheHalbard
2020-09-13, 03:26 PM
Randal will continue to charge forward close behind Torrik, looking for the biggest and strongest opponents he can find.

Storm Vermin
2020-09-14, 12:38 PM
Kabbi Bronzedew, Dwarven Druid (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=2275686)

Kabbi still couldn’t believe how fast the jubilant festivities turned to chaotic violence. He barely managed to coax Geri from her hiding spot in the Goblin Squash Stables and rejoin his newfound buddies with the mountain cat in tow when the first fires erupted. He reacted to the first brush with goblins on instinct – he ran towards the nearest creature and bashed the dog-killer into pulp.

Now, with his head clearer, Kabbi took Aeryn’s advice to heart – he didn’t want to get piled on by the nasty ankle biters. From the dwarf’s outstretched hand, a ray of chilling cold flew towards the nearest goblin.

Inititative: [roll0]
I will move to a square that gives me unobstructed view of the nearest goblin and fire a Ray of Frost at it.
Attack Roll: [roll1], if this hits it will deal [roll2] cold damage.

Faolan7
2020-09-15, 05:31 PM
Round 1
Initiative
Entros: 6+7 = 13
Randal: 5+6 = 11

Kabbi
The ray hits the goblin square in the chest, and its arms are noticably darker. The goblin looks like it is on its last leg.
Actions
1 - Stride from G11 to H13
2 - Cast Ray of Frost at Goblin 4

Goblin
Looking up from the attack, the goblin runs toward the longshanks who are spoiling its fun. Once it gets close, it throws its torch at Kabbi, dealing 4 bludgeoning damage and 1 fire damage.
Actions
2 - Stride twice from R24 to N21 to K17
1 - Strike (throw) with Torch at Kabbi

Strike
Attack: 16+4+1 = 21
Damage: 4+1 = 5

Aeryn
Aeryn's bolt flies directly into the goblin's chest, causing it to stumble backwards.
Actions
1 - Cast Shield
1 - Stride from H11 to J11
1 - Cast Force Bolt at Goblin 2

Entros
Entros moves into the frontlines, and throws one of his hammers at the charging goblin, knocking it to the ground cold. He then focuses his attention on the chanting goblin in the back.
Actions
1 - Stride from G10 to I14
1 - Strike (throw) with Light Hammer at Goblin 2
1 - Hunt Prey at Goblin Warchanter

Strike
Attack: 18+6 = 24
Damage: 2+3 = 5

Goblin Warchanter
The chanting goblin runs forward. As he does, the sword from his fallen brethren rises on its own and is flung towards Entros. It slices into his gut, dealing 7 damage.
Actions
2 - Stride twice from T25 to P23 to L19
1 - Cast Telekinetic Projectile

Telekinetic Projectile
Attack: 17+7 = 24
Damage: 3+4 = 7

Goblin
The goblin runs to support its apparent leader, baring its teeth at the party.
Actions
2 - Stride twice from S24 to O22 to K19
R - The Goblin Warchanter Steps from L19 to M20

Randal
Randal charges forward and cleaves the nearest goblin in half. He then retreats back to the group.
Actions
2 - Sudden Charge from G12 to J18
1 - Stride from J18 to J14

Sudden Charge
Attack: 19+7 = 26!
Damage: 3+4x2 = 14

Goblin
The goblin follows suit with its fallen companion to protect its leader, then stands ready to attack
Actions
1 - Stride from T23 to P21
2 - Ready a Strike

Torrik
Torrik slices a large gash into the warchanter's chest, dealing 11 damage.
Actions
2 - Stride twice from I11 to K16 to L19
1 - Strike at Goblin Warchanter

Goblin
The goblin rushes at Torrik, slicing at him with his sword. He managed to get between the orc's armor and deals 10 damage!
Actions
2 - Stride twice from Q23 to N20 to M19
1 - Strike at Torrik

Strike
Attack: 20!+8 = 28
Damage: 5x2 = 10
Current Situation
https://i.postimg.cc/rp0Y1Znm/Screen-Shot-2020-09-15-at-3-32-53-PM.png

Storm Vermin
2020-09-16, 09:48 AM
HP: 15/20

With a surprised yelp, Kabbi patted out the few embers caught in his beard.
"Oh, you're done for now, ye little twerps!" the dwarf growled as sparks started to dance between his fingers. Kabbi released the built-up charge, flinging an arc of thunder at the howling goblin and his companion.

I will move to I15 and use Electric Arc against the warchanter and his neighboring goblin. They must make a DC 17 Reflex save, taking [roll0] electricity damage on a failed save or half as much on a success.

TheHalbard
2020-09-16, 03:10 PM
Seeing everyone beginning to take damage from varying sources Randal begins to get jealous. He charges into the thick of the fight and attacks whatever he assumes to be the strongest opponent. He would rather take a hit then retreat to the group this time in order to take blows for his allies.

Zero Prime
2020-09-16, 04:56 PM

Aeryn moved forward, closer to the raised platform to his left, he watched as his dwarven companion disengaged and summoned forth a surge of lightning. Then he raised his hands high, intoned a few words in an ancient arcane tongue, and snapped his arm forward flinging a handful of eldritch flame at the closest raider.

OOC: Stride from J11 to M14. Cast Produce Flame (https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=236) with my two remaining actions. Rolling a Spell attack check, [roll0] vs the Goblin's AC. If successful it deals [roll1], doubled on a critical success, with [roll2] persistant fire damage as well with a critical success.

Faolan7
2020-09-16, 10:49 PM
Round 2
Kabbi
Kabbi's bolt burns the nearest goblin to a crisp, but the warchanter seems to have resisted the brunt of the damage.
Actions
1-Stride from H13 to I15
2-Cast Electric Arc at Goblin 4 and Goblin Warchanter

Electric Arc
Goblin 4 save: 7+7 = 14 Failure
Goblin Warchanter save: 14+8 = 22 Success

Aeryn
Aeryn's ball of flame obliterates the goblin leader, reducing it to ash.

Entros
Entros runs forward and slices at the final goblin. Using his momentum, Entros' sword pushes the goblin backward, and it slides off his sword as the half-elf stops moving.
Actions
2-Stride x2 from I14 to M18 to O20
1-Strike at Goblin with Bastard Sword

Strike
Attack: 16+6 = 24 Hit
Damage: 3+3 = 6
The goblins in the immediate area are dead, but they still run amok though the streets. Taking a second to look around, you see a goblin jump off a roof to attack its victim, though it misses and seems to have broken its neck upon landing, and another goblin throw a torch at a mother and child, only for the torch to miss and ignite another goblin sneaking up behind the family.

You also notice Father Zantus open the doors to the church slightly and peek out.

Zero Prime
2020-09-17, 05:58 AM

Noting the Father peaking out of the door of the Cathedral, Aeryn turns to his companions, "TO THE CHURCH! GET THESE PEOPLE TO THE CHURCH!" He turned and rushed towards the mother and child that had been narrowly missed by the torch, "Zantus is holding the door, the Cathedral is your safety!" He tugged the woman's arm in that direction to try to spur her to action.

gargoyleking
2020-09-17, 12:59 PM
Torrik was sad to see the enemies all fall before he could even get another strike in. Still, there seemed to be plenty uet and so he turned to save the nearest civilians he could find and, following Aeryn's lead, send them to the church.

Starbin
2020-09-18, 12:35 AM

Entros pulled his blade free from the last goblin and looked around for signs of more enemies. He gave a quick nod to Aeryn, calling out "Good call - get the townsfolk off the streets!"

He ignored the priest and the goblins who died to their own ineptitude. Instead, he saw the goblin sneaking up and ran for it, scooping up his hammer and flinging it towards the would-be assassin.
OOC - Dang, didn’t get a chance to post on that last one. Apologies all around! Entros will go after the sneaky-sneak. So gab hammer, move and attack?
[roll0], [roll1]
Weapons: Light hammer (+6, 1d6+3B, Agile, Thrown 20’), Bastard sword (+6, 1d8+3S, 2H 1d12+3S), shortbow (+5, 1d6P, 60’ Rng, Deadly 1d10)

Faolan7
2020-09-19, 07:23 PM
Aeryn and Torrik, you two guide the woman and her child to the church, ”Thank you for saving us! We’ll never forget this,” then to her child, ”Now hurry dear. Into the church. Father Zantus will keep us safe.”

A few moments later, Father Zantus leaves the church and approaches Aeryn, Kabbi, and Torrik, ”Thank you for all that you’ve done. Please, let me help with your wounds.”. He casts Heal on each of you, restoring 2 HP each, ”I must return to the wounded in the church. Thank you again for taking care of those goblins”
Entros, your hammer flies straight into the head of the goblin that threw the torch, crushing it. The goblin that caught fire is lying on the ground, seemingly dead.

TheHalbard
2020-09-19, 09:03 PM
Randal will scan any remaining goblins for a leader of some sort, anyone that look like they are helming the attack. Seeing that everyone else has the helping civilians under control, he will charge that individual. Barring that, he will charge after any remaining enemies while staying within a decent range of his comrades.

gargoyleking
2020-09-20, 12:24 AM
Torrik smiles toothily in response to the priest thanks. "Battle is it's own reward."

Once healed, Torrik looks about searching for more signs of battle to come. Once discovered, or pointed towards it, he will lead the way, drawing a javelin into his off-hand to welcome the next fight with.

Zero Prime
2020-09-21, 07:06 AM
AC: 15 | HP: 11 of 15 | Class DC: 17

Aeryn nodded as the Father closed the cathedral doors, he turned to see his fellows scattering, "STAY FOCUSED!" Moving towards the broad shouldered half ork, he called out to the dwaven mystic, "Kabbi, let us search the streets, and listen for the raider's song, when we hear it, we light them up, ya?"

OOC: Not sure if we're in exploration phase, or still in encounter mode, but Aeryn would like to look for more goblin activity. Preferably while keeping SHield up, and moving forward. If I have to sacrifice recasting Shield, then so be it. Perception check, [roll0] as we Search the streets for more raiders or survivors.

Storm Vermin
2020-09-21, 02:10 PM
HP: 17/20

Kabbi nodded in response to Aeryn's plan. "Aye, sounds good to me." he said and followed the mage.

Looking for goblins or townsfolk Perception Roll: [roll0]
I would like to stay at range for the first round of combat, in case we stumble upon enemies.

Starbin
2020-09-21, 03:15 PM

Entros checked the goblin and retrieved his hammer, making sure the beastie didn't rise again. He turned to find the others and they were gone. Blinking, he muttered, "Bugbear balls ... where did they all go? Figures ... they're probably in cahoots and rallying up with their minons even now ..."

With a sigh, Entros took off at a trot further into town, heading for screams. As he ran, he began to bark, like a dog, hoping it would draw out any more stragglers.
OOC - Retrieve the hammer, continue the search.
Weapons: Light hammer (+6, 1d6+3B, Agile, Thrown 20’), Bastard sword (+6, 1d8+3S, 2H 1d12+3S), shortbow (+5, 1d6P, 60’ Rng, Deadly 1d10)

Faolan7
2020-09-22, 05:10 PM
As you are all searching for more goblins, you hear a scream and frantic barking, other than Entros', come from the north. A few moments later, you see a well-dressed man and his dog running from the north gate to the square you are currently in. Not far behind him are a number of goblins, and one of them is riding a large rat-like creature. As you move in to attack, the mounted goblin slices the neck of the man's dog, and it slumps to the ground in a rapidly growing pool of blood.
Combat Begins!
More combat! Woo!
I'll use the Perception Kabbi and Aeryn just rolled for their initiative. Everyone else can roll Perception for initiative with their first post.
https://i.postimg.cc/W3X9fZTX/Screen-Shot-2020-09-22-at-3-07-18-PM.png

Zero Prime
2020-09-22, 05:40 PM

Noting the location, Aeryn moved with urgency towards the north west, skirting around the large tent which the citizen cowered, finding a clear line of sight on the mounted goblin. He concentrated a moment, his hands and fingers moving through a complex series of forms before throwing forward, indicating his target, "Fututus et mori in ignii!" As his incantation ended, a brilliant flare of fire surged forward towards the green skinned raider atop his rat-mount.

OOC: With the Incredible Initiative feat, my Initiative would be 9 with that roll, rather than 7, big difference I know. Just posting now, we can adjudicate the sequence after. Moving from U15>Q10, then using my remaining two actions to cast Produce Flame (https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=236), Spell Attack vs AC, [roll0], for [roll1] fire damage, an additional [roll2], plus [roll3] ongoing fire damage if the attack is a critical success.

gargoyleking
2020-09-23, 01:03 AM
Torrik was still a bit injured from that last fight and while he wasn't afraid of a fight he knew better than to rush out into the middle of an open field with so many enemies. Instead, he moved up next to the tent stall and hurled his javelin at the goblin's 'mount' hoping to kill the creature before it could be ridden against him or his allies. A moment later he summoned up a translucent field of force to protect himself.

"Get behind us! He called out to the man. Simply expecting him to move quickly enough to BE saved.

Perception(Initiative) (https://orokos.com/roll/849241): 1d20+3 21
1: Move to I9
2: Javelin (https://orokos.com/roll/849247): 1d20+4 17 1d6+4 10
3: Cast Shield (AC 19)

TheHalbard
2020-09-23, 01:54 PM
Being entirely unharmed with a need for bloodshed, Randal will rush towards the mounted goblin with the intention of cleaving the mount in half. If the mount is dead on arrival he will attempt to do so to the rider. He will brace to take a lot of damage (Rage?). He fully intends to tank damage in place of his allies.

Faolan7
2020-09-24, 04:20 PM
Round 1
Entros: 16+7 = 23
Randal: 17+6 = 23

Entros
Entros focuses on the mounted goblin and moves his hands in a strange way as he moves forward.
Actions
1-Hunt Prey on Goblin Commando
1-Cast Gravity Weapon
1-Stride from R13 to P10

Randal
Randal roars and rushes toward the goblins.
Actions
1-Rage!
2-Stride from Q14 to Q10 to S7

Torrik
Torrik's javelin hits the mount squarely, dealing significant damage.

Kabbi
Kabbi chants while holding his club, and it begins growing vines and leaves. Once finished, he moves forward, prepared for battle.
Actions
2-Cast Shillelagh
1-Stride from S15 to Q12

Goblin Commando
Noticing the new threat, the commando stops chasing the man and starts attacking the party. It fires at arrow at Torrik, which manages to find purchase underneath his armor, then rides into the square and fires an arrow at Entros, who easily dodges out of the way.
Actions
1-Strike with Shortbow at Torrik
1-Command the mount to Stride from T4 to O4 (from behind the tent): 2+5 = 7 Success
1-Strike at Entros

Strike at Torrik
Attack: 15+8 = 23 Hit!
Damage: 3

Strike at Entros
Attack: 4+8 = 12 Miss!

Goblin
The goblin runs at Torrik and lunges at him, but Torrik's armor deflects the attack.
Actions
2-Stride from S1 to U5 to U8
1-Strike at Torrik

Strike
Attack: 9+8 = 17 Miss!

Goblin
The goblin follows suit and charges at Randal. Both of its attack manage to break Randal's tough skin.
Actions
1-Stride from U1 to T6
2-Strike twice at Randal

First Strike
Attack: 13+8 = 21 Hit!
Damage: 4

Second Stride
Attack: 13+8-4 = 17 Hit
Damage: 4

Aeryn
Aeryn moves forward, and as his incantation finishes, the goblin in front of Torrik spontaneously bursts into a large flame, before quickly dying down and reducing the goblin to ash.
Actions
1-Stride from U15 to R11
2-Cast Produce Flame at Goblin 1

As a heads up, I'm using the 1-2-1 rules for diagonal movement. This was my bad though. I should've explained what rules I was using. :/

Goblin
The goblin runs at Randal, cackling. Its first attack lands, but Randal easily steps out of the way of the second.
Actions
1-Stride from T2 to S6
R-Goblin 2 Steps from T6 to U7
2-Strike twice at Randal

First Strike
Attack: 14+8 = 22 Hit!
Damage: 3

Second Strike
Attack: 10+8-4 = 14 Miss

Goblin
The final goblin rushes at Randal. He easily dodges the first attack, but is cocky and takes a hard hit from the goblin's second attack.
Actions
1-Stride from V2 to T6
2-Strike twice at Randal

First Strike
Attack: 1! Miss!

Second Strike
Attack: 20!+8-4 = 24 Critical Hit!
Damage: 5x2 = 10

gargoyleking
2020-09-25, 02:06 AM
The leader of this group of goblins was a crafty one. He'd taken a pot-shot at Torrik with his bow before disappearing behind a tent. Unfortunately, the goblins minions had run afoul of Randal, and Torrik felt inclined to let the half-orc have his fun. He ducked behind his new friend and came upon the commando, swinging his sword with both hands for the mount in hopes of finishing it off.

Action 1: Stride to Q7
Action 2: Stride to O5
Action 3: Bastard Sword (2h) (https://orokos.com/roll/849733): 1d20+6 12 1d12+3 5

Zero Prime
2020-09-25, 06:23 AM

Seeing an opportuninity to end the conflict, Aeryn surged forward in a straight line north, past Randal. "DON'T MOVE!" He called to his companion and the cowering noble, as he concentrated a moment, spining his staff, as his free hand drew a complex sigil, it shimmered like the air above the desert, before he plunged a hand through it, his fingers spread wide, while chanting in a deep, sonorous voice. Suddenly a gout of flame sprung forth, burning goblin and cart alike! Aeryn sneared, "Moloch take you all!"

OOC: (1)Stride from Q10 to R6; (2) Cast Burning Hands (https://2e.aonprd.com/Spells.aspx?ID=30), for [roll0] fire damage, Reflex DC 17 for half damage. According to this template (https://2e.aonprd.com/Images/Rules/Rules354.png). The spell should affect S6, T4-T6, U4-6; which leaves Randal & the innocent out of the flames, but catches all three goblins & the cart.

I may need to make a Concentration check, if Goblin at S6 has an AoO, so Concentration check, [roll1], just in case.

Storm Vermin
2020-09-25, 03:12 PM
HP: 17/20

"Stop killing dogs, ye blighters!" Kabbi yelled in rage and charged the mounted goblin. The dwarf swung his enchanted club at the rat-like beast, hoping to limit its' rider's mobility.

Stride twice to O15 and Strike the Goblin Dog with Shillelagh
Attack Roll: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]
I believe that's a crit, so 5x2 = 10 damage.

Starbin
2020-09-26, 03:42 PM

Entros shook his head at how this situation continued to evolve. Even though his concerns seemed to be validated, that didn’t mean he could stop fighting. With blade and hammer in hand, he advanced on his prey, intent and n taking out this murderous bastich once and for all ...
OOC - I seem to forget the submit button and find myself botted again! My apologies - I am here :smallyuk:
So, looks like I can reach N5 from P10, so let’s go
A1 - Stride 30’ to N5
A2 - Strike 1 vs Commando [roll0], [roll1]
A3 - Strike 2 bs Commando [roll2], [roll3]
AC: 17 HP 20
Saves: Fort +7 Ref +7 Will +4 Per +7Move 30’
Effects: Hunter’s Prey vs Commando, Gravity Weapon, Hunter’s flurry, Low-Light vision