PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Diminutive Race designed to be Cohorts in a setting I will be running.(P.E.A.C.H.)

DracoDei
2020-08-15, 10:22 PM
I want to be sure that I covered all the cheese to keep these as scouts* mostly. Most of the nerfs I gave them fall under "Special Qualities".
*The party role, not the character class.

As mentioned in the title they will be available as Cohorts only, not as Player Characters. I think there could maybe be some shenanigans with Polymorph Any Object if I keep them as Fae, but I'm not particularly worried about those.

An "outside the box" use for them might be to create them with levels in Expert and have them be the knowledge-skill-monkey for the party. Sage-in-a-box with teeny-tiny bookshelves and writing desk! (In addition to the normal bed, chamber-pot, pantry, and maybe a candle-holder attached to the floor for cooking over.)

My major question regarding them is if they are balanced as a LA +0 Cohort. Secondarily is if I should keep, modify, or leave as-is the E.C.L. based ability to cast Invisibility and/or Greater Invisibility.

Last thing before the actual race description: A recap of some relevant house rules(explained in more detail HERE (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?617480-Would-these-alternate-rules-for-smaller-characters-work-well-P-E-A-C-H)):
1.) Creatures swallowed whole by a creature capable of swallowing something 3 size classes larger than them can use 1-handed weapons to cut their way free. If 3 size classes then they can use two-handed weapons.
2.) Reduction (from spells etc.) from Diminutive to Fine size grants a +4 bonus to-hit and AC.
3.) Small weapons and ammunition are 1/2 the weight of medium (as per R.A.W.), but doing the Tiny, Diminutive, and Fine steps for most gear (but NOT for armor!) as dividing the weight by 8 each. Thus a Tiny creature's weapons, ammo, rations, tent, bedroll, etc, would weigh 1/16 of a medium creature's, while a Diminutive creature's would weigh 1/128th of a medium creature's. (See near top of this document for other size classes, including Tiny and Fine.)

BREEZIE
Ability Score generation:
Strength is 1. If using point-buy you must spend at least 2 stat-buy points on this. The base score (purchased or rolled), enhancement and inherent bonuses count towards a separate the strength score that has a -4 racial modifier race. This second score is ONLY used to determine when and if they get disabled by strength penalties+damage+drain+etc. Size change bonuses apply normally to both versions of the strength score. Rage bonuses to strength apply only to the second score except when the Breezie is enlarged to at least Tiny size.

Dexterity +8 ((Actually below the expected range given near the front of Monster Manual II.))

Constitution -2

Intelligence +0

Wisdom +0

Charisma +2

Size
Diminutive, this gives a +4 bonus to to-hit rolls and AC, a +12 bonus to hide checks, a -12 penalty to grapple checks, a space of 1 foot and a reach of 0 feet.

Type:
Fae ((I'm debating on making them the settings equivalent of "Humanoid" to allow the party to buff them more easily, especially with size-changing effects.))

Speed:
10', Fly 20' (Perfect).

Special Qualities:
Breezies may never gain Supernatural, Spell-like, or spell abilities from a class.

Hitpoint total divided by 4. Retain fractions for later level-ups, although they have no effect at the current level.

Sneak Attack and Skirmish Dice reduced to +1d3s. Ambush feats treat these as half a die each.

When flying, treat all winds as twice the velocity for purposes of wind hazards (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#tableWindEffects).

They gain the Weapon Finesse feat as a bonus feat.

Can make the tips of their antennae glow shed light equivalent to a candle at will. Starting or ending this can be done as a swift, move, or standard action. This is a Supernatural ability and counts as a 0th level light spell for the purposes of dispelling or being dispelled by spell-like abilities.

A Breezie with an intelligence or charisma of at least 12 may cast Invisibility on themselves only as a spell-like ability. If they also have at least 7 class levels and an intelligence or charisma of at least 14, then they may also cast Greater Invisibility on themselves as well, also as a spell-like ability. The number of times per day they may do each of these is dependent on their total number of class levels and is given in the following table. Their caster level is equal to their total class levels, and their casting ability is intelligence or charisma, whichever is higher.

Total
Class
Levels] Invisibility per day Greater Invisibility per day

1 to 3
---

4 to 6
Casting Modifier -1, Min. 1
---

7 to 10
(˝ Casting SCORE) -2

11 to 14
˝ Casting SCORE
Casting Modifier -3, Min. 2

15 to 18
Casting SCORE
Casting Modifier, Min. 3

19+
At-Will
˝ Casting SCORE

((For all you Bronies who enjoy over-thinking things like I do: In theory I should write up their pollen-related magic, but it probably will never come up.))

Skills:
Breezies receive a +12 racial bonus to Move Silently checks.

As mentioned in the "Size" section, they have a +12 size bonus to Hide checks.

A Breezie may move at up to their normal speed without taking penalties to Hide or Move Silently. If running they take only a -10 penalty to these skills, rather than -20.

Favored Class:
Rogue. A multiclass breezie’s rogue class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty.