PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder PF - Golarion Geography - What's the most peaceful town?

unseenmage
2020-08-16, 06:00 PM
@my players, shoo. Go away. This thread is not for you. Git.

I need a remote, peaceful town on Golarion without tech or firearms. The smaller the settlement the better.

Have some nefarious GM plans and I need the IC origins to be borderline idyllic so the chaos I unleash has a nice backdrop to burn against.

EDIT: I'm strongly considering a thorp in Andoran.

Palanan
2020-08-16, 06:21 PM
In Andoran, you might consider Olfden, described as a "quiet farming town" which "provides safe haven for travelers, merchants and loggers."

There's also Piren's Bluff, a "small fortress town" on a strategic pass into the mountains. Both of these locations are in the wilderness of Darkmoon Vale, in the northern heartland of Andoran. Quiet, remote, mildly ominous with a chance of werewolves.

unseenmage
2020-08-16, 06:33 PM
In Andoran, you might consider Olfden, described as a "quiet farming town" which "provides safe haven for travelers, merchants and loggers."

There's also Piren's Bluff, a "small fortress town" on a strategic pass into the mountains. Both of these locations are in the wilderness of Darkmoon Vale, in the northern heartland of Andoran. Quiet, remote, mildly ominous with a chance of werewolves.

That's perfect. Thank you.

Do you know what the Darklands beneath those areas is like? Am curious about nearby drow populations and what deepest vaults might lie beneath as well.

Palanan
2020-08-16, 07:03 PM
Well, funny you should ask. :smalltongue:

About a hundred miles away are the Candlestone Caverns, described as a "perilous cavern passage to the Darklands." Apparently some ancient caverns were recently opened by an earthquake, resulting in "hordes of subterranean terrors" burbling up to cause troubles all around. No mention of drow per se, but there are the usual kobolds and goblins, plus dark fey, dragon ghosts, and a primordial neothelid.

This is some ways from Darkmoon Vale proper, and I don't see anything about Darklands directly below Olfden and Piren's Bluff. I'd say you have a free pseudopod to add whatever drow-related skullduggery you like.

Also, I'm getting this information from Andoran, Birthplace of Freedom (https://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Campaign-Setting-Andoran-Birthplace/dp/160125721X/), which may be useful if you're starting a campaign in that area.

Rynjin
2020-08-16, 10:01 PM

Olfden has a werewolf infestation large enough to require a specific werewolf slaying merc company, so maybe not as idyllic as all that.

Palanan
2020-08-17, 08:05 AM
Originally Posted by Rynjin
Olfden has a werewolf infestation large enough to require a specific werewolf slaying merc company, so maybe not as idyllic as all that.

I'm going off the description on p. 20 of the Andoran Campaign Setting. What's your source?

unseenmage
2020-08-25, 04:55 PM
Wound up using Oldfen and they travelled through Piren's Bluff to the Gallery of Wonders at the top of Candlestone Caverns.

Rynjin
2020-08-25, 07:26 PM
I'm going off the description on p. 20 of the Andoran Campaign Setting. What's your source?

"Guide to Darkmoon Vale", according to the Pathfinderwiki site. A quick look at the book says the population was decimated by "hobgoblins and silver immune werewolves" last year (though "last year" was 2008 our time).

Palanan
2020-08-26, 04:20 PM
Originally Posted by unseenmage
Wound up using Oldfen and they travelled through Piren's Bluff to the Gallery of Wonders at the top of Candlestone Caverns.

Excellent, glad that worked out.

Care to post a campaign journal? I'm curious to see what you have in store for them.

unseenmage
2020-08-26, 08:28 PM
Excellent, glad that worked out.

Care to post a campaign journal? I'm curious to see what you have in store for them.

I could. Will work on it later. Will be nice to have notes of what occured handy too.

unseenmage
2020-08-26, 10:16 PM
Here you go. A campaign journal. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?617993-PF-Wherin-I-Send-Two-Goblins-Down-The-Hole-Of-The-Darklands&p=24682334#post24682334)