PDA

View Full Version : Is This Game Worth Staying In?

JNAProductions
2020-08-17, 09:32 AM
For reference, the system is One Piece d20. It's not overly relevant, but if you're interested, that's what it is.

On to the main part.

The game is run by my two best friends as co-DMs. One started as a player, and was added to the DMing roster when the first DM needed help. Still has his PC. The first DM also has a character, though they're part of a different group, so we don't see them a ton.

But... I've got issues with how it's run.

We deal with a LOT of NPCs more powerful than us-both on our side and other sides. It seems like the DMPCs are higher level than us-apparently, the main DM has been giving his co-DM extra feats for special moves.
The DM encourages us to use skills like Intimidate against each other, and it's basically straight rolls-not like how I'd run it at all. It's irksome to have a roll take away control from my PC.

Then what really got to me was, last night, before the session, the DMs talked to me about bringing an old PC of mine back. This PC, Hans, had a minion named Connie. During an earlier session, Hans left the crew, but Connie stayed, and I switched to playing her instead of Hans. They asked me to bring Hans back because they felt his character provided better synergy with the party, both in terms of mechanics and how he fit with the personalities. Naturally, because I'm all for the game being better for everyone, I agreed to bring Hans back.

The session started, and it was fine at first. But when we all reunited in the ship, Hans confronted the current captain, the co-DM's PC, Asher. Hans was... Aggressive, to say the least. Very confrontational. And during the confrontation, Asher said, paraphrased (since it's audio, I don't have the exact words) "You abandoned us. I have no respect for you anymore."

Which really kinda got to me-since another PC, Das Kanin, left in the middle of the night, taking some of our money with him, and was the old captain. Asher was fine with that.
Hans, on the other hand, talked to the crew, talked to Connie (who's basically his daughter), and said his goodbyes before he left.

It felt really hypocritical of Asher, and while I'm okay with some amount of inter-PC conflict, the fact that the co-DM knew that's how Asher would be and didn't mention it...

It's all just making me not excited to play.

Am I being unreasonable? And what should I say to the DMs?

Edit: Talking to a different friend about this. They raise a good point-I should explain why he left, and why he came back.

Hans left because the crew, at the time, were basically wanderers. They had no clear goal, just kinda... Explore. But they interacted with a another crew, who claimed to be good folk, actively trying to make the world a better place. Hans wanted to be a part of that.

It turned out, they're scumbags, and he left them to return to his old crew and try to make amends, fixing his mistakes.

MrSandman
2020-08-17, 09:40 AM
So, if I understand it correctly, your problem is the interactions between PCs, right? Or is that on top of encountering more powerful enemies and the DMPC stuff?

I would say that it's at least worth talking through. If they asked you to bring your old PC back, it means that people are willing to talk about what they'd like and enjoy and all that. So I think it's worth talking to the others and say, 'Hey, I didn't enjoy that. Can we change the way we approach it in the future?'

Kyutaru
2020-08-17, 10:14 AM
It felt really hypocritical of Asher, and while I'm okay with some amount of inter-PC conflict, the fact that the co-DM knew that's how Asher would be and didn't mention it...

It's all just making me not excited to play.

Am I being unreasonable? And what should I say to the DMs?
I'm not sure what the problem is so perhaps you could identify it. It sounds like drama fuel which is typical of anime and this character being hypocritical is another marking. The appropriate response is to call him out on his hypocrisy and remind him of that time for some good old fashioned face grinding. True friends will have spats and bicker or confront each other or even stop talking for a time. But they always come back into the fold and get over their problems later. It even makes for character development moments. This sounds more like a subplot than anything and if you're uncomfortable with it then why aren't you explaining that to the DMs instead of asking us? They could wrap it up instantly and have them settle the dispute instantly as friends with both being apologetic for things done and said and now it's in the past and doesn't matter going forward. This is like hyper cliche trope material writing itself.

JNAProductions
2020-08-17, 10:20 AM
I am talking to one of the DMs right now, actually. He just got online.

And I just worry that I'm overblowing some thing, and wanted to get a reality check.

But ultimately, I guess the main issue is I'm not having fun. Having talked with one of the DMs, we hashed it out, and I'll not be playing in this game anymore. At least for the near future-might come back later, but for now, no more.

Thanks for listening to me ramble, and giving advice. Appreciate y'all. :)