PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Weapon switching in combat

huttj509
2020-08-17, 04:45 PM
So I think the answer to this question is "DM's call" due to too many variables, but I figured I'd ask.

Are there any black letter rules for swapping from one weapon to another, or to/from a weapon/shield, or from 1H a weapon/shield to 2H it?

Currently I've been "drop current weapon, draw next, pick weapon up later," but as this might come up more in the future I'm wanting to make sure my DM and I are on a similar page for it, aaaaand knowing him the first thing he'll ask me is "what do the rules say?" (mutter mutter yes I've played the most 5E in the group by far and have a good memory for rules, but I don't know the recharge mechanics, that's in the MM, which I have never read mutter mutter)

So yeah, my main question, as stated above, is looking for black letter rules regarding weapon swapping, and I guess a followup question is if anyone has any general rulings they use they've found convenient for gameflow and non-silliness?

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-17, 04:49 PM
There's probably rules but I just kinda handwave it in most cases for the sake of simplicity.

Asisreo1
2020-08-17, 05:08 PM
So I think the answer to this question is "DM's call" due to too many variables, but I figured I'd ask.

Are there any black letter rules for swapping from one weapon to another, or to/from a weapon/shield, or from 1H a weapon/shield to 2H it?

Currently I've been "drop current weapon, draw next, pick weapon up later," but as this might come up more in the future I'm wanting to make sure my DM and I are on a similar page for it, aaaaand knowing him the first thing he'll ask me is "what do the rules say?" (mutter mutter yes I've played the most 5E in the group by far and have a good memory for rules, but I don't know the recharge mechanics, that's in the MM, which I have never read mutter mutter)

So yeah, my main question, as stated above, is looking for black letter rules regarding weapon swapping, and I guess a followup question is if anyone has any general rulings they use they've found convenient for gameflow and non-silliness?
When it comes down to dropping weapons, it usually comes down to the DM but there are hard rules about switching/interacting with objects.

Your turn can include a variety of flourishes that require neither your action nor your move.

You can communicate however you are able, through brief utterances and gestures, as you take your turn.

You can also interact with one object or feature of the environment for free, during either your move or your action. For example, you could open a door during your move as you stride toward a foe, or you could draw your weapon as part of the same action you use to attack.

There's also a list of what counts as your one "interaction."

Now, dropping isn't in those examples but technically you are interacting with the object, so dropping the weapon may be counted as a RAW-interpretation of that.

However, it's a limiting interpretation and may not be RAI. Jeremy gave a tweet addressing this saying that it shouldn't count as an interaction but his tweets are unofficial and for whatever reason, be it supposedly obvious or meant to be taken RAW, there has been no errata or address to the Sage Advice Compendium.

So, disappointingly, the real answer is: Ask your DM.

Tanarii
2020-08-17, 11:25 PM
Follow up answer: dropping a weapon is an item interaction.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-08-18, 08:19 AM
I go back to "Stop nerfing marshals!"

I rule that my players can drop a weapon and use their interaction to draw another. But if they go from a bow to a one handed weapons and a shield, that'll use up their action as well.

I cease interacting when I drop an item, I begin interacting when I pick up an item. Does it take an interaction to STOP casting a cantrip using the focus or component? For martials, their weapon IS their cantrip.

Stop nerfing marshals.

nickl_2000
2020-08-18, 08:38 AM
Dropping a weapon was never intended to be an item interaction.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/29/what-are-the-rules-on-dropping-weapons/

We play the drop, draw and go method of switching weapons as well.

Veldrenor
2020-08-18, 09:06 AM

This one seems to have been unmentioned so far, but PHB 146 rules for donning/doffing armor specify that it requires an action to don/doff a shield.

Tanarii
2020-08-18, 09:12 AM
Dropping a weapon was never intended to be an item interaction.

https://www.sageadvice.eu/2017/03/29/what-are-the-rules-on-dropping-weapons/

We play the drop, draw and go method of switching weapons as well.Maybe. But IMO its a ruling that is "convenient for gameflow and non-silliness". Which was the context of my comment.

Vogie
2020-08-18, 10:44 AM
We play the drop as a free action as well - it never made sense that you could literally fall over as a free action, but letting go of a weapon is an "object interaction". If I hit the deck, it'd be an object interaction of my face to the floor.

I also follow the non-RAW but Mercer-ist ideas that:

a bladelock can make a single attack while summoning their weapon as an action
Throwing weapons are drawn as part of the attack.

I also allow those with the defensive or Protection fighting Styles to don/doff a shield as a bonus action.

CheddarChampion
2020-08-18, 11:37 AM
My group's informal houserule is "Just attack with one weapon (or weapon pair for TWF) per turn and you're good."

My personal houserule for shields is that there's two types of shields:

One that straps to your arm, takes your action to draw or stow, and lets you use non-weapon items like torches or potions with that arm's hand.

The other is held in your hand, worn on a sling. When you use your item interaction to draw or stow a weapon you can draw or stow the shield. You can draw or stow the shield itself as an item interaction. You can't carry a torch in that hand. You can't re-equip it in the same turn you drink a potion, draw from a component pouch, etc.

If you need a torch, a potion, or a material component the first shield is better. If you need two hands for something or if you want to grapple, the second shield is better.

Demonslayer666
2020-08-18, 12:55 PM
We do dropping a weapon as free, so you can use your free interaction with an object to draw a weapon, and use your action to attack with the weapon you just drew.

Dropping something is not anywhere near as complex as any of the examples listed in interacting with an object.

Kurt Kurageous
2020-08-19, 11:05 AM
This one seems to have been unmentioned so far, but PHB 146 rules for donning/doffing armor specify that it requires an action to don/doff a shield.

Great catch. I skip reading that section every single time because I know you can sleep in armor, and if you aren't wearing armor at the start of a fight, you won't be wearing it at the end.

Vogie
2020-08-19, 08:03 PM
Great catch. I skip reading that section every single time because I know you can sleep in armor, and if you aren't wearing armor at the start of a fight, you won't be wearing it at the end.

That's further expanded on in XGtE, saying you can sleep in light armor without penalty, but cannot fully rest while wearing medium or heavy armor. Yes, it's theoretically an optional/variant rule, but it's also right next to rule that neuters coffeelocks and explains waking rules, so most DMs just go with it.

It's also helpful as it better details that:

Officially acknowledge that monsters sleep too
Set the required Passive Perceptions that would awake sleepers
Going without sleep for multiple days has a stacking DC against exhaustion