PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Are there any weapons with reach available for halfings or gnomes?

Citadel97501
2020-08-17, 08:33 PM
Hello all, simple question I was just wondering if there are any reach weapons available for gnomes & halflings? I am pretty sure that all the ones I can think of besides whips have the heavy keyword?

JNAProductions
2020-08-17, 08:34 PM
Technically, nothing prevents you from using a Heavy weapon... You'll just suck. :P

But, off-hand, I think the Whip is it.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-08-17, 10:20 PM
Lance has reach, but gets disadvantage if your target is within 5 ft. of you, and requires two hands if you're not mounted.

Tanarii
2020-08-17, 11:16 PM
Main hand because it's not Light.
*badum-tish*

Naanomi
2020-08-17, 11:47 PM
We have a whip using Ghostwise Halfling Kensai Gladiator in the party, works pretty well

bid
2020-08-18, 12:10 AM
Main hand because it's not Light.
*badum-tish*
Not if you only make offended attacks.

da newt
2020-08-18, 08:47 AM
And all thrown weapons have range (but not reach).

Joe the Rat
2020-08-18, 08:51 AM
Lance is the missing trick.
Everything else requires a means to advantage to offset the Heavy.

Yuroch Kern
2020-09-04, 05:15 PM
About the only thing is barbarian. Sure, enemies have advantage to hit you after your attack, but you already killed them, right? But I concur with the thread. Whip.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-04, 05:45 PM
The Lance and Whip are the only two weapons you can use as a Halfling that have Reach. They're also the only Reach weapons you can dual wield. So, if you make a Halfling with a mount, you can dual wield lances to great effect.

Mjolnirbear
2020-09-04, 05:49 PM
Even with the obvious downside of a whip being a d4 weapon, you can offset that a LOT.

A barbarian with a fighter dip seems easiest: 1d4+str+2+2 DMG. It's like doubling your strength mod for most of the game.

Since PAM holds less appeal and GWM doesn't work, Sentinel becomes your next offensive Feat for all the reaction attacks. Or just pump the heck out of your stats.

Might work.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-04, 07:11 PM
Even with the obvious downside of a whip being a d4 weapon, you can offset that a LOT.

A barbarian with a fighter dip seems easiest: 1d4+str+2+2 DMG. It's like doubling your strength mod for most of the game.

Since PAM holds less appeal and GWM doesn't work, Sentinel becomes your next offensive Feat for all the reaction attacks. Or just pump the heck out of your stats.

Might work.

Why not go with Rogue instead? Whip is a Finesse weapon, so you can do 1d4+Dex+Sneak Attack. It starts out less then Barbarian/Fighter, but you end up being stronger.

Yuroch Kern
2020-09-04, 07:13 PM
The Lance and Whip are the only two weapons you can use as a Halfling that have Reach. They're also the only Reach weapons you can dual wield. So, if you make a Halfling with a mount, you can dual wield lances to great effect.

A halfling can use heavy weapons. Whip and a mounted Lance are the only ones without inherent Disadvantage.

Mjolnirbear
2020-09-04, 07:50 PM
Why not go with Rogue instead? Whip is a Finesse weapon, so you can do 1d4+Dex+Sneak Attack. It starts out less then Barbarian/Fighter, but you end up being stronger.

Yes, that works as well. I somehow got stuck in my head that OP was asking about barbarian despite, you know, not actually saying any such thing.

I guess it really depends on what you want out of the character. You could even do paladin/barbarian/fighter, and Smite the everloving heck out of anything within reach. It really depends what primary class OP was asking about

Lavaeolus
2020-09-05, 01:05 AM

Do keep in mind, Rogues don't get proficiency in whips by default.

Not insurmountable, of course. A one-level dip in a class with martial weapons won't set you too far back, and as a bonus it'll let you pair that whip with a shield. Or you could grab the Weapon Master feat.

BeefGood
2020-09-05, 06:47 AM
Ask DM for magic item that offsets the penalties. Maybe the spirit of the previous wielder, who was size Medium, helps the gnome/halfling wield the weapon. You could develop interesting stories out of that.

Tanarii
2020-09-05, 09:05 AM
Do keep in mind, Rogues don't get proficiency in whips by default.

Not insurmountable, of course. A one-level dip in a class with martial weapons won't set you too far back, and as a bonus it'll let you pair that whip with a shield. Or you could grab the Weapon Master feat.normally I'd say the latter should be the go to choice if feats are available. Rogues also don't get Long Bows, Heavy Crossbows, or Scimitars. Scimitars in particular are great because for some reason scimitar of speed seems to come out of random generation all out of proportion to its likelihood. :smallamused: And it is a half feat, which offsets the all too common situation of having one half-score for non-humans,

But for a short rogue, finding two more weapons on top of scimitar is harder,

da newt
2020-09-05, 10:40 AM
Just for fun, hire an artificer to craft a magic item 'Arms of the Bugbear' or 'go-go gadget arms' to grant you an extra 5' reach when you attack with a melee weapon, or create a homebrew Feat for the same purpose. There is nothing RAW to support this of course, but a generous DM ought to be convinced it would be fun and not unbalanced ...

RAW - battle master's lunging attack ought to work for you.

sithlordnergal
2020-09-05, 12:05 PM
...Ok, I'm gonna have to make a Halfling Battlemaster that wields a lance with Lunging attack. Just give them a nice 15ft reach on their turn