PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [SoP] Ways to raise your attack bonus as a high caster?

Rynjin
2020-08-17, 11:26 PM
Made a guy, Incanter, specializing in Telekinesis and Blood, with a smidge of Dark. Looking for ways to raise my attack rolls so Bludgeon stays viable at higher levels. Any good Spheres specific options I should be aware of? Preferably ones that don't involve speccing too deep into new Spheres, but I'll take those options if they're especially efficient.

So far the only Sphere agnostic option I've found is an Aiming implement, which is nice, but I feel I need at least another +1/+2. I'm using Dancing Weapon so I can benefit from either ranged or melee bonuses if it makes a difference.

Morphic tide
2020-08-18, 12:28 AM
Since you're using a weapon, the Enhancement Sphere gives +1 and an extra +1 per four CL as its automatic thing that probably works for using it via Dancing Weapon, so just one Talent, and there's a Feat to combine the Concentration and action with Telekinesis, though limited to just one object. You can also get Mental Enhancement to boost your casting modifier to get further Attack bonus that way, alongside bumping up your save DCs, or Ragged Edge to get half your caster level as per-attack Bleed damage to fuel your Blood Sphere.

Rynjin
2020-08-18, 12:34 AM
Does that work with Bludgeon? I thought the actual properties of the weapon (other than its size) didn't apply.

Morphic tide
2020-08-18, 12:57 AM
Does that work with Bludgeon? I thought the actual properties of the weapon (other than its size) didn't apply.
The thing is that it's explicitly counting as a weapon, you use it with the Attack action, get access to feats like Power Attack alongside Combat Talents, and even get Opportunity Attacks around the thing in accordance to its reach "as if it wielded by a creature of the same size". And on Bludgeon itself, it says "If the Bludgeon is a weapon, the attack deals appropriate damage for that weapon", as well as starting with "you can spend its remaining movement to strike a creature or object within its reach." So since it uses the damage, reach, feats, and combat talents as if the weapon were being used normally by the intended size of creature, it not applying the Enhancement Bonus for Attack rolls would be a weird standout.

Lirya
2020-08-18, 01:41 AM
I would look for some of the more powerful attack buffs such as Prescience (sense) from the Divination Sphere or The Devil (motif) from the Fate Sphere for an insight bonus to attack rolls, and Courage (charm) from the Mind Sphere and Empower (rally) from the War Sphere for a morale bonus to attack rolls. Empower (rally) from the War Sphere needs the Community Minded trait for best results as it has poor duration otherwise. Most of these options should be pretty cheap with use of drawbacks (Tongue of Ages + Neutrality could give you The Devil + a word talent of your choice; Alternate Rally + Battle Manipulation could get you Empower with the ability to rally yourself/allies within 30 ft. without needing a totem).

Rynjin
2020-08-18, 02:25 AM
Ooh, Prescience I REALLY like, especially as I am going to be speccing into Divination anyway, and it doesn't conflict with the Hidden Magic or Limited Divination (Sense) Drawbacks I'd planned to take; I wanted Trapfinding alone from Divination, but an excuse to take something else is nice. I really only need to hit someone once for my Blood stuff to become active a lot of the time, and it's nice to have something to spend Spell points on besides Step Through Darkness.

A dip into Enhancement for Ragged Edges and an attack boost is a little more out of theme (I'm a Norgorberite...priest? Kinda.), but maybe, since the logic on it working seems sound.