PDA

View Full Version : What to do?

Wraithy
2007-10-31, 01:20 PM
Last session my group went up 2 lvls (which I don't think is allowed in RAW, but I'm not complaining:smallsmile: )
anyway I have no idea what to do with my character, straight scout just looks boring, but I want nothing to do with multiclassing xp penalties.

last session I was lvl 4 , next I'm lvl 6.
Race: Warforged, Class: Scout
my stats:
17str, 14dex, 14con, 14int, 6wis, 8 cha
my feats:
mithral body, exotic weapon proficiency: Heavy poleaxe, Expeditious dodge
my skills:
Craft (sculpture) 7, Craft (weaponsmithing) 7, Hide 7, Jump 5, Knowledge (dungeoneering) 5, Knowledge (geography) 1, Knowledge (nature) 5, listen 4, Move silently 7, search 7, survival 6, tumble 7, speak language 2

any help or ideas about where to take or what to do with this character would be apreciated.
(P.S. I'm not putting ranks in spot because my character only has one eye)

mostlyharmful
2007-10-31, 01:49 PM
Two levels in one session is enough to justify a life crisis in my opinion, they went through so much so fast so early in their career you can almost justify anything. Not the most helpful advice I know but if you elaborate on backstory and adventuring experiances it'd be easier to come up with something beyound.. "Go Wizz theyz MadSkillz!!!"

That being said with two levels to pick and a feat you've got a huge choice open, do you want to multiclass, if you do the mitheral body is always going to hamper arcane casters, do you want to head towards a Prc, or stick with Scout? All fine choices but without any backstory it's hard to really help.

For sneaky combative warforged maybe a couple levels of rogue for the trapfinding, evasion and skills, for a rounded character warforged always benifit from having an artifacer around, taking 2 levels of that could add diversity to your skill-set. Maybe you want to think about what role you want to be playing over the corse of the campaign and plan longterm, with the DM giving out level-ups like that you can be reasonably sure they want to take the PCs a good long way.

Wraithy
2007-10-31, 01:58 PM
woops, forgot about that.
I started a thread a few months ago which said it...
aah, here it is (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54983)
not mutch has changed character developnment wise, in fact allmost nothing in my case. I had considered going for the Dervish PrC, but I'm still not sure about it.

Keld Denar
2007-10-31, 02:02 PM
You could take 2 levels in ranger, and pick up Swift Hunter as your feat at 6th. This would net you a combat style (probably ranged, since ranged has better synergy with scout than melee due to multishot>single attack). This would land you 2 BAB (2 scout would be only 1) and +3 fort/+3 reflex. You'd pick up track as a bonus feat, and a small boat load of skill points. Swift Hunter would allow your scout and ranger levels to stack with regards to scirmish, so you wouldn't worry about losing your yummy happy dice.

Alternately, you could take a pair of fighter levels, which would have similar results, but you'd lose 3 reflex and some skill points. The plus would be that you could pick your 2 free feats, instead of having them picked for you (track/precise shot). This would lend itself more to your own style (I see the poleaxe, dunno what you are planning to do with it though). You'd lose the ability to take Swift Hunter though, as the feat specifically states that it only works with scout/ranger combos.

Another alternative is a level or 2 of barbarian. Especially if your DM will let you take lion-totem variant from Complete Champion. Pounce is the quintessential ability for a melee scout, since it allows you to multiply your skirmish dice by your number of attacks. That said, most people consider lion-totem barbarian to be brokenly overpowered, but as long as you don't do anything with leap attack/shocktrooper, your DM shouldn't shudder too much. You'll do no more damage than a TWF rogue, and only on rounds you can charge. Rage is also nice, since you have a 2hander. If you go barb, I'd go barb1-scout1, and keep up with scout (or go ranger as above). Then take extra rage as your 6th level feat to make you more multi-encounter viable.

Good luck and good gaming!

Temp
2007-10-31, 03:11 PM
How does your DM follow favored classes? Ranger's a nice dip, but it's questionable whether it's worth the experience penalty. Fighter's probably worthless, so if the XP penalty is enforced, I'd say keep going straight for Dervish.

Or just keep Scout. Skill points are always good.

PlatinumJester
2007-10-31, 04:33 PM
I asked our DM about multi classing and favoured class and he siad that he does use it.

Sorry man but fighter is still good in a kinda fighterish way.

Wraithy
2007-11-01, 12:05 PM
I'm too afraid to multiclass, I hate xp penalties.
I surpose my best option is pure scout untill I qualify for Dervish, but I have no idea what level I'd have to be to do that.
any suggestions or advice about what skills to take?

Saph
2007-11-01, 12:08 PM
If you take Ranger you'll only have XP penalties for one more level.

Once you get to Ranger 3/Scout 4, your levels are within one of each other, so you don't get the XP penalty anymore.

- Saph

Keld Denar
2007-11-01, 12:23 PM
Well, for Dervish you need ranks in Perform: Dance, so thats a good one to start with.

And I'm sorry, I totally didn't take into account multiclass penalties when I made my suggestions. I don't even know what the favored class is for a warforged. Probably fighter, but then again, I don't know. They could be built for just about anything, from fighting, to stealthing, to healbotting(tee hee).

Tumble is another gimme for going into Dervish.

You might want to look up the Dervish class and see what the feat requirements are. I don't remember off the top of my head, but I believe they are rather lengthy. This would indicate that Fighter levels would be required, or you won't be able to take your first level of Dervish until 13 or so.

Good luck with that!

Wraithy
2007-11-01, 12:37 PM
If you take Ranger you'll only have XP penalties for one more level.

Once you get to Ranger 3/Scout 4, your levels are within one of each other, so you don't get the XP penalty anymore.

- Saph
Ooh, I was oblivious to that.
So I'll take lvls 5 & 6 as a ranger of the non-spellcasting variant (my appauling wisdom need not hinder me) and with the strong arm combat style.
Hmm, I'm still not sure wether to aim for Dervish, I surpose I can get it faster now with a better BAB.

(the Warforged favoured class is fighter, but I don't want to kill my skills)