PDA

View Full Version : Alter Creature Type

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 03:20 PM
Is there a way to alter your 'Type'? Let's say you are a Human but need to be detected as an 'Outsider' to access a particular plane or be killed. Is it possible to do this and how?

StevenC21
2020-08-18, 03:30 PM
Polymorph spells can do something that would work in that case.

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 03:32 PM
I thought of that but does Polymorph 'actually' change your type or just make you look like one?

StevenC21
2020-08-18, 03:35 PM
Your type changes.

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 03:37 PM
Your type changes.

Thank you so much.
Can you point me to the rule that says that? I need to be able to present it...

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 03:40 PM
Last question. I have seen quite a bit of discussion but no definitive answer. If you clone yourself while polymorphed, is the clone of the polymorphed body or your original?

Telonius
2020-08-18, 03:59 PM
Question on, "or be killed." What's doing the killing? Is it the plane's traits, or is it more of a "shoot on sight" thing for the inhabitants of the plane?

If planar traits are the issue, it would depend on the exact wording of how it works. If you just need to not be extraplanar, a more permanent method than Polymorph is the Naturalized Denizen feat. It's one of the Spelltouched feats from Unearthed Arcana. If you take it, you are never treated as an Extraplanar creature. (Meaning, you aren't subject to Dismissal or Banishment). Depending on the exact nature of the plane you're talking about, that may be good enough.

Manual of the Planes has a couple of options as well. The Avoid Planar Effects spell (reprinted and slightly redone in Spell Compendium) could arguably keep you safe. The "Planeshifter" prestige class gives the spell in more comprehensive format. At third level, it grants the effects of the "Avoid Planar Effects" spell as an [Ex] ability; since it's [Ex], it's good forever and can never be dispelled.

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 04:11 PM
Question on, "or be killed." What's doing the killing? Is it the plane's traits, or is it more of a "shoot on sight" thing for the inhabitants of the plane?

If planar traits are the issue, it would depend on the exact wording of how it works. If you just need to not be extraplanar, a more permanent method than Polymorph is the Naturalized Denizen feat. It's one of the Spelltouched feats from Unearthed Arcana. If you take it, you are never treated as an Extraplanar creature. (Meaning, you aren't subject to Dismissal or Banishment). Depending on the exact nature of the plane you're talking about, that may be good enough.

Manual of the Planes has a couple of options as well. The Avoid Planar Effects spell (reprinted and slightly redone in Spell Compendium) could arguably keep you safe. The "Planeshifter" prestige class gives the spell in more comprehensive format. At third level, it grants the effects of the "Avoid Planar Effects" spell as an [Ex] ability; since it's [Ex], it's good forever and can never be dispelled.

It is a trait of the Demiplane. If you are not an outsider, you take some level of persistent damage; as an undead would if it were in a plane with the positive aligned trait.

ExLibrisMortis
2020-08-18, 04:18 PM
Last question. I have seen quite a bit of discussion but no definitive answer. If you clone yourself while polymorphed, is the clone of the polymorphed body or your original?
Clone does not specify what "duplicate of a creature" is, but I believe clone does not copy ongoing spell effects. That said, I see no reason you couldn't grow a clone of yourself in another form, if that was the form 'associated with' a creature. It just isn't clear how you go about establishing that association--polymorph any object would do it, probably, or polymorph kept up for 2d4 months, but it's pretty much a DM's call.

Compare clone with astral seed, which has a bit more guidance: it creates a body that explicitly has all your abilities at the time of casting.

Telonius
2020-08-18, 04:19 PM
It is a trait of the Demiplane. If you are not an outsider, you take some level of persistent damage; as an undead would if it were in a plane with the positive aligned trait.

Okay, then Avoid Planar Effects might be more efficient. It specifically defends against that sort of damage from negative and positive based planes. It's only a 2nd-level spell if you're using the Cleric version (unlike 4th for Polymorph), and has the same duration (minutes/lvl). Putting it into a continuous item would cost 12000gp (Spell level 2 * caster level 3 * 2000gp).

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 05:03 PM
Okay, then Avoid Planar Effects might be more efficient. It specifically defends against that sort of damage from negative and positive based planes. It's only a 2nd-level spell if you're using the Cleric version (unlike 4th for Polymorph), and has the same duration (minutes/lvl). Putting it into a continuous item would cost 12000gp (Spell level 2 * caster level 3 * 2000gp).

That is perfect. Thank you. I assume you could craft the magic item to protect against other than positive/negative?

Doctor Despair
2020-08-18, 05:55 PM
Technically, there are a number of templates you could apply to change your type, too.

DaedalusK71
2020-08-18, 07:24 PM
Technically, there are a number of templates you could apply to change your type, too.

Don't you have to take templates at creation? can you take them later?

Doctor Despair
2020-08-18, 09:34 PM
Don't you have to take templates at creation? can you take them later?

Inhereted templates have to be taken at character creation; acquired templates can be acquired later.

Temotei
2020-08-18, 11:28 PM
If you need to be there for longer periods, you may want to look at the higher-level versions of avoid planar effects, such as attune form, planar tolerance, and--for more extreme planes--planar bubble.

Thurbane
2020-08-19, 06:32 PM
If OP is looking for alternatives to Polymorph, here's some suggestions (most are personal only):

Devil's Ego (Diabolic Domain 3)
Holy Transformation, Lesser (Cleric 4)
Infernal Transformation, Lesser (Cleric 4)
Fiendform (Sor/Wiz 5)
Visage of the Deity (Cleric 6, Mysticism Domain 6)
As the Frost (Drd 7, Sor/Wiz 7)

Also, Nar Fiendbond (Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 7) permanently applies the Half-fiend template to a Humanoid; I'm guessing OP doesn't want the unwelcome LA, though.

DaedalusK71
2020-08-19, 07:18 PM
If OP is looking for alternatives to Polymorph, here's some suggestions (most are personal only):

Devil's Ego (Diabolic Domain 3)
Holy Transformation, Lesser (Cleric 4)
Infernal Transformation, Lesser (Cleric 4)
Fiendform (Sor/Wiz 5)
Visage of the Deity (Cleric 6, Mysticism Domain 6)
As the Frost (Drd 7, Sor/Wiz 7)

Also, Nar Fiendbond (Clr 7, Sor/Wiz 7) permanently applies the Half-fiend template to a Humanoid; I'm guessing OP doesn't want the unwelcome LA, though.

Not an alternative; just whether the changes made via the spell count towards your creature type and whether, if you are cloned, it makes a copy of the polymorphed body or your un-polymorphed body.

Thurbane
2020-08-19, 08:55 PM
Not an alternative; just whether the changes made via the spell count towards your creature type and whether, if you are cloned, it makes a copy of the polymorphed body or your un-polymorphed body.

Well, the spells I listed are all temporary effects (except Nar Fiendbond), so I don't imagine the type of the Clone would be affected; or at least, not for long.

Nar Fiendbond is a permanent change, so I imagine your Clone would be a Half-fiend as well?