PDA

View Full Version : The Games We Don’t Play

Jay R
2020-08-18, 03:43 PM
A lot of us buy more games, and game supplements, than we will ever play. So I have a few questions:

1. [Players] What’s your favorite role-playing game to play that you’ve never gotten to play?

2. [GMs] What’s your favorite role-playing game to run that you’ve never gotten to run?

3. [GM/Players] What’s your favorite role-playing game that you’ve never gotten to play or run?

4. [Anybody] What’s your favorite roleplaying game that you’ve played, and loved, but would never play again?

For me:
1. Toon or Pendragon. I’ve run each one a single session, but I’ve never gotten to play it. I love Pendragon for the idea of running multiple generations of heroes, and for the Passions and Virtues system. And Toon is a game in which everybody can stay in character.

2. Fantasy Hero. I’ve never had a group that didn’t want to play some other game more.

3. Probably En Garde!. It was the first swashbuckling rpg (1976), and wasn’t well-developed. I read it over and over but never found people to pay it with.

4. Chivalry and Sorcery. It’s the most lush, vivid, realistic, immersive, carefully detailed, and compelling unplayable mess ever published. I once had a GM willing to put up with all of it, and I loved the game. But it’s too much work for me to ever go through again. [This from a guy who loves Champions.]

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-18, 03:48 PM
4. [Anybody] What’s your favorite roleplaying game that you’ve played, and loved, but would never play again?

Rifts. Similar issue with a great concept but horrible execution.

The mechanics are something along the lines of "Here are some realistic numbers and effects based on your class/gear in this fantasy world. The scholar gets...a book, and the robot pilot gets...a gundam! See, fair!" For reference, the robot deals enough damage to kill 100 scholars, the only real balanced effect is that most of the standard damage-dealing options only hit a single thing, and death by Megadamage generally only maims you (by ripping off your limbs, usually).

The world itself is gorgeous. You got vampires, robots, dragons, elves, dwarves, C'thulu monsters, all in an post-apocalyptic Earth. There's books for each setting, and they often have very unique themes (like how Russia is filled with young soldiers that get chopped up into cheap cyborg suits to fight a never-ending war against local demons).

Martin Greywolf
2020-08-18, 04:19 PM
1. [Players] What’s your favorite role-playing game to play that you’ve never gotten to play?

I mean, we can hardly have a favourite game to play if we haven't played that game.

That said, Planet Mercenary - sounds great, but only works if you have 3+ players, so 4+ people, and is a specific sci-fi setting. Getting a group together would be difficult.

2. [GMs] What’s your favorite role-playing game to run that you’ve never gotten to run?

There was a world for Czech TTRPG DrD, called Asterion. It had a pretty cool concept behind it - the titular continent is being colonized by other, roughly renaissance-era, continent. But with magic and dragons. It had some interesting concepts, especially if you were 13 and not quite yet fluent enough in English to read DnD.

The aforementioned Czech DrD - it had a lot of enthusiasm behind it, and not a lot of experience and skill in game design, and boy did it show. It has a second edition now, and that one, I did play and would play again.

Jorren
2020-08-18, 04:21 PM
A lot of us buy more games, and game supplements, than we will ever play. So I have a few questions:

I've actually had a chance to play all of my favorite RPGs, however briefly. There are quite a few games that I've been interested in playing but haven't had the chance to try, namely FATE, Delta Green, and Cortex.

I've yet to run Apocalypse World or Rolemaster.

3. [GM/Players] What’s your favorite role-playing game that you’ve never gotten to play or run?

Can't think of any that I have not run or played at least once.

Any version of D&D (including any OSR versions, Pathfinder, Lotfp, or similar games). I played the original blue box version all the way through 3.5 (I missed 2.5). After playing it on and off for 30 + years the game just didn't hold any more interest.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-18, 04:29 PM
3. DnD 3.5, Call of Cthulhu

Democratus
2020-08-18, 04:42 PM

1. Leverage: Heist games are fascinating.

2. Eclipse Phase: Post-human mashup of Expanse, Altered Carbon, and Call of Cthulhu

4. Nephilim: Fascinating concept, beautiful world building, super fun character creation, not great to play

togapika
2020-08-18, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Jay R;24669604]A lot of us buy more games, and game supplements, than we will ever play. So I have a few questions:

For me:
1. Hackmaster 2e. Always wanted to play a campaign so I could play as a Charlatan (Who learn the skills/abilities of others by paying XP) or a Knight Errant (If Paladins were allowed to be ***** with **** powers)

3. Power Rangers (I haven't found a good system yet)

4. I've played Exalted, but everyone I ever played with knew tons about the system and the setting, and I was left lost and alone, and thus annoyed and hated it.

LibraryOgre
2020-08-18, 06:02 PM
Oh, so, so, many.

Earthdawn and Shadowrun: In both cases, I love the world, I hate the mechanics. I've been through four editions of Shadowrun, starting with the 1st, and ending with the 4th, and all of them were way too crunchy. Earthdawn had steps with different dice pools and looked really cool but, yeah, way too much work for me.

Palladium games, many, including Rifts and Palladium Fantasy and Robotech and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. These were my world for several years, and I have some wonderful memories of them... but their game design was cutting edge in 1986, and trailing edge when Rifts showed up in the early 90s, and not even an afterblur these days.

Ars Magica. Wonderful idea, some fantastic mechanics, set in a very specific world I have no intention of trying to convince people to try to love like an ex-medievalist might.

WEG Star Wars. An early love married to an early love, with some real spots of fun in the books (remember the wanted poster for Luke, Han, and Chewie? Or the recruiting ads for the Imperial Navy?) But, well, the game mechanics show their age, and even the GFFA have moved beyond their vision of the world.

Saintheart
2020-08-18, 06:43 PM
1.2.3.: Continuum. Most elegant and fascinating time travel worldbuilding setting ever devised, most eye-gouging and impossible game to actually run because fighting in four dimensions is hard to conceptualise, let alone referee.

4. WEG d6 Star Wars. Liked it a lot in the 90s, couldn't play it now.

Palanan
2020-08-18, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by Jay R

1a. Bunnies & Burrows. I recently read Watership Down and loved every page. It would be delightful to play a game based on that, and especially one which was clearly influenced by a slightly older RPG.

1b. Firefly, because I want to be a big damn hero running train heists on a terraformed moon.

1c. Battlestar Galactica, because I want to frack up some skinjobs in my trusty Viper Mark II.

Star Wars. I would love to run a Star Wars campaign, but the workload would be immense, and I’m not familiar with a single one of the Star Wars RPGs out there. I could try adapting Starfinder, but again, workload.

The crazy Star Trek campaign we ran in college with rotating GMs. I poured way too much effort into that, but I loved it.

And yet, it wouldn’t work today. Partly because our only game mechanic was rolling percentile dice; the game was almost entirely narrative. And also because much of what I enjoyed was creating new worlds, cultures, races and scenarios, most of which wouldn’t fit into the current confines of the Trek galaxy.

Telok
2020-08-19, 01:40 AM
Want to play and haven't? Many. Many many. Currently on for Dungeons the Dragoning.

Want to DM and haven't? Call of Cthulhu. I managed to tic off Champions, Traveller, and Paranoia. It also absolutely won't work with my current group.

Never again? Well D&D 4e was boring and Starfinder is tedious unless you really lean into the farce & silly. The Palladium system Robotech and Rifts, glorious except for gaping holes, pits, traps, and bizarro in the rules. Plus I was banned for life from Rifts after the rogue scientist character.

VoxRationis
2020-08-19, 01:51 AM
3. Mythras. It's everything my best friend and I ever tried to turn D&D 3.5 into, with characters being more vulnerable at higher skill levels, a vastly customizable magic system, and a system of combat mechanics that understands the difference between "lined up an attack correctly," "slipped past the defender's dodges/parries," and "penetrated passive defenses." It's also blood relatives to CoC and thus reasonably convenient for our group, which plays CoC a lot, to learn. Still have not gotten to play it.

Lacco
2020-08-19, 03:10 AM
Riddle of Steel
Always the GM, never the player. The combat system is pretty much what I expect from RPGs, the rest (with the exception of magic, which needs to be fixed) contains pretty nifty ideas. It plays extremely well at a table. Gets a lot of flak for how the rules read, but once you run it, you find out it's fast, complex and deep - the learning curve can be flattened if you take it easy first few combats, but it is difficult if you insist on playing DnD with it.

Ars Magica
I'd - just once - like to play a troupe-style game with the magic system as presented here.

Paranoia or Toon
My RL group consists of people that hate intra-party conflict and take those things too seriously. They do not mind shenanigans, but are unable to fight against each other.
That said... I would love to run a game of Paranoia. Classic "half troubleshooters lose up to 2 clones before even getting to briefing" style...
The same about Toon. There's just something I love on classic cartoons and being able to ignore gravity if you are stupid enough to notice it should affect you.

Twilight 2013
There are lots of things I like about the system. Theoretically. Tried running it here, but between the attrition rate and slow posting, the game was lost. I'd need a RL group to learn the system and then I'd run it.

En Garde
I have tried running En Garde... up to 4 times I think. Never got past second month.
I have the original rules, the variant rules (Polar Pig), I even tried to figure how to play En Garde style in Shadowrun world.
That said, I'd love to run it or to play it. But it's too much work for single GM and I can't find a suitable group of people that would play it.
... I was actually entertaining an idea of running EG here on the forums, but I'm afraid it would run right into the ground again.

HarnMaster
The world. The medieval stasis. I don't mind the ruleset too much, but I like the details they put into the worldbuilding and the subsystems (e.g. I'm using HarnManor for other purposes already).

Broken Synapses
A one-shot, one-page cyberpunk improvisation game. I love the idea, I love the rules, but my group just says "Why not play Shadowrun?". To that, see below.

Ryuutama
The idea of walking simulator RPG built for exploration and mostly pleasant walkabout fascinates me. Again, shot down by my players.

Shadowrun
The world is fascinating, the lore, the secrets, the stories... even the combination of magic & technology, cyberpunk feel... it's easy to have a session that is in part John Woo action movie, existential horror, actual horror and dramatic movie...
...if you throw away the ruleset.
It's built for black mirrorshades, but tries to look like pink mohawk. You get all these nice and exciting toys to play and allows you to build the craziest characters, and then leaves you wondering: who the hell would hire those guys? Then your players with their 20-dice pools act like sociopaths because nobody took etiquette and nobody wants to back down. And you wonder: is this it?
I loved Blackjack's playstyle and enforced it. If I ever decide to run Shadowrun again, it's going to be a lot different like standard gameplay.

Eldan
2020-08-19, 03:13 AM
Eclipse Phase, Tales from the Loop. I technically got to play Degenesis once for a bit, but I really want to play it more. Also read all the setting books, because they look fascinating.

Glorthindel
2020-08-19, 03:39 AM
1/3 - Pendragon. I read the rules maybe ~25 years ago. Never had the opportunity to play it, and at this point likely never will. Its a pity, it just looks such a beautiful game.

2 - Shadowrun. I love the idea, and got to play in a very breif campaign at university, but every time i have approached players with the idea, they have written it off with a look of disgust.

4 - Edge of the Empire (and other FFG Star Wars). The rules are very, very good, and I managed to strong arm my usual group into trying out the beginner adventure, and everyone had a lot of fun. But everyone (myself included) just couldn't get past the special dice.

comicshorse
2020-08-19, 05:20 AM

1) Kult. It just sounds so weird and dark, I'd love to give it a go

2)Feng Shui. With a lifetime of martial arts movies behind me this should be perfect for me but never found a group who would let me run it at the same time I wanted to run a game

3) Feng Shui (see above)

4) Champions. Played in a long running campaign in which the GM deliberately covered every staple plot of superhero comics. It was immense fun but now I get a 'been there, done that' feeling about superhero games

Azuresun
2020-08-19, 07:02 AM

The mechanics are something along the lines of "Here are some realistic numbers and effects based on your class/gear in this fantasy world. The scholar gets...a book, and the robot pilot gets...a gundam! See, fair!" For reference, the robot deals enough damage to kill 100 scholars, the only real balanced effect is that most of the standard damage-dealing options only hit a single thing, and death by Megadamage generally only maims you (by ripping off your limbs, usually).

The world itself is gorgeous. You got vampires, robots, dragons, elves, dwarves, C'thulu monsters, all in an post-apocalyptic Earth. There's books for each setting, and they often have very unique themes (like how Russia is filled with young soldiers that get chopped up into cheap cyborg suits to fight a never-ending war against local demons).

There was an official Savage Worlds version released recently, which is a bit more balanced and fast-moving, and with rules that are generally a better fit to the action movie / 90's comics that Rifts is trying to emulate.

One I'd really like to play is the original Changeling: The Dreaming. The game never really made much impact on me when it first came out--it seemed a bit too twee and cutesy to really gel with the other World of Darkness lines. But I picked up the 20th anniversary remastered edition recently, and it was like "oh wow, I get it now!". It's a wonderful dramatisation of the balancing act of hanging onto your dreams and idealism in a world that runs on conformity or shaming. It helps that the new edition was a lot more coherent when it came to the themes, and reworked the rules and setting to reduce or eliminate awkward things like child PC's or the "technology will destroy your soul!" reading of Banality.

Fumble Jack
2020-08-19, 10:45 AM
1. Call of Cthulu. Have the books, adventures, lots of the short stories as collections of mythos and know the rules of both the regular and Pulp Cthulu, never had a chance to play.

2. Numenera actually, played through a demo, on free rpg day, with a really cool GM, at my LGS a few years back. Had a lot of fun and would love the chance to run it, but never had the oppurtunity. Also adding Call of Cthulu and Pulp Cthulu here as I've never had the chance to run it either, my group has other focuses and I'm kind of the forever DM of it.

3. Mostly because it's hard to land this one specifically, Promethean the Created, from Chronicles of Darkness. Loved the flavor themes and all that, but I suppose it keeps the moniker of greatest games never played (ymmv)

4. 4e D&D, Alpha & Omega. The former because the current group prefers the ease and simplicity of 5e. The latter because it's fairly complex and had limited supplements. It was 6 -6 system if anyone is familiar. Cyber punk ish, and honestly have been looking for a conversion for it, to at least a d20 or simpler system as I rather love the setting.

Knaight
2020-08-19, 01:12 PM
Not to mention the free PDFs, including snagging PDFs that are free for brief periods and yet somehow manage to turn into a decent library all by themselves.

Burning Wheel. I got it in the hopes of GMing it, but it's just too heavy to fit my GMing style. As a player though, it looks potentially really fun.

Picking semi-randomly (because there are so many candidates for this), Qin: The Warring States. It's also a bit heavy for me, but I'd run it for a group that knew it and covered the player side mechanics. I don't have that group, and so it sits on a shelf. This is a bit of a recurring thing; there are a lot of mid weight games I'd love to run and heavy games I'd love to play.

To point towards the nontraditional for a second, because if we're talking GM/Players a game with a distributed GMing role is natural, Shock: Social Science Fiction. I have a soft spot for weird artsy games in general, but don't really have the right group to actually break them out. They can join my shelf of mid-heavy weight games that way (though said shelf is overwhelmingly virtual, because those free PDFs really do add up).

Warbirds. I'd play it again in a heartbeat, but on a practical logistical level I'd expect any group I'm running for to include my little brother, and he hates the game for some reason. Though it's looking like Save The Universe might be taking that spot over.

Palanan
2020-08-19, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Fumble Jack
Numenera actually, played through a demo, on free rpg day, with a really cool GM, at my LGS a few years back. Had a lot of fun and would love the chance to run it, but never had the oppurtunity.

+1 to this. I like the concept, would be interested in playing, but unlikely to ever happen. This is the first time I've seen it mentioned here in years.

Man_Over_Game
2020-08-19, 02:34 PM
+1 to this. I like the concept, would be interested in playing, but unlikely to ever happen. This is the first time I've seen it mentioned here in years.

It's like playing in the equivalent of a Planescape setting without the rigid limitations that comes with playing DnD as a universe or a ruleset. Like playing "Planescape, the RPG".

Lord Raziere
2020-08-19, 03:06 PM

Uuuugh, Numenera what I've read it makes not want to play it at all actually. both mechanically and fluff-wise. its clearly a setting that throws out a lot of ideas without any sense or consistency behind them, GM intrusions sounds invasive and off-putting, the tech you find as loot is explicitly labeled as temporary and going to be lost, its just all over the place fluff-wise while being too limiting mechanically. there is no wonder why its unpopular to me, it makes the fatal mistake every rpg of its kind makes: its still trying to be DnD. its nothing but a very sci-fi DnD heartbreaker. like I'm pretty sure numenera is the point where everyone collectively gone "oh this is all Monte Cook knows how to write. disappointing." then moved on. not saying its bad, but its clear from how its made, that Monte Cook only knows how to do one thing and that thing doesn't work with the setting envisioned.

1. I haven't played most Fate rules/settings I have like: Gods and Monsters, Mecha Vs. Kaiju, Mindjammer, Tianxia...fate in general, maybe even Strands of Fate!

I haven't play Pokemon Universal Roleplaying yet, figure out a character for it at least.

Monarchies of Mau, would love to play that.

anime rpgs I'd like to play: OVA, Shonen Final Burst, maybe Tenra Bansho Zero, wait do I still want to play Sparks of Light? Eh why not. Legends of the Wulin buts thats technically not anime

also Godbound. I'd love to play godbound at some point. I'll probably use it just to emulate Exalted characters without the stupid crunch anyways, but I still want to play it.

then of course there are games that I've technically "played" that I would like to, but they died off so fast that it never felt as if it counted: M&M3e, Anima Beyond Fantasy, things like that

Telwar
2020-08-19, 07:03 PM
1) I would absolutely love to play Exalted, but only two of us in the group are familiar with it, and I wouldn't trust the other guy to run it to save my life or that of anyone I cared about.

2) I don't run games very much, BUT I'd like to run a 13th Age game.

3) I'm really liking the look of Pathfinder 2e. Partly because I enjoyed 4e D&D and it amuses me to no end that the next edition of Pathfinder wound up having a lot of similar solutions to the 3.5 ruleset issues as 4e did. I think I'm going to persuade my group to let me run a one-shot or two in the future.

4) I really enjoyed the Iron Kingdoms RPG when we ran that. It's a good universe, the game was pretty mechanically sound, and there were a TON of character customization choices available. Unfortunately, it's a) dead and b) going back to 5e.

Kesnit
2020-08-19, 07:47 PM

Dark Heresy. I am a huge fan of 40K, but no one I know is interested.

Vampire: the Masqurade Dark Ages. I enjoy VtM, and would love to try the Dark Ages setting.

Shadowrun. I've played the PC games, but never a tabletop.

HERO. I LOVE the system, but do not know the mechanics well enough to be able to help my players build characters. I even have the java character creator (which helps), but when the ST rebuilt my characters (keeping what I wanted to do) and freed up so many points, I knew I was out of my league.

Demon: the Fallen. I wouldn't care if I ran the game or had someone else run it, I would love to be in a Demon game.

Orpheus. I love the fluff. I love the mechanics. No one else knows anything about the game.

I wouldn't say "never," but I would be very hesitant to play 2e D&D. I would have to know the DM and know I can play in their game.

One I'd really like to play is the original Changeling: The Dreaming. The game never really made much impact on me when it first came out--it seemed a bit too twee and cutesy to really gel with the other World of Darkness lines. But I picked up the 20th anniversary remastered edition recently, and it was like "oh wow, I get it now!". It's a wonderful dramatisation of the balancing act of hanging onto your dreams and idealism in a world that runs on conformity or shaming. It helps that the new edition was a lot more coherent when it came to the themes, and reworked the rules and setting to reduce or eliminate awkward things like child PC's or the "technology will destroy your soul!" reading of Banality.

That is the major issue I have with the game. RAW, the characters are no older than teenagers, but Satyrs exist...

smcc360
2020-08-19, 08:19 PM
For questions 1-3, it's the Cortex game Firefly. I love the system, but I think it's a little more narrative than my players would like. And I'll never be able to get one of them to run it.

Number 4 is DC Heroes/Blood of Heroes--the old Mayfair Exponential Gaming System superhero game. We played it for a long time and loved it a lot. I really think it's a system that can do anything. But it does it is way that's really showing its age: table-based, complicated character creation, and the last supplements were published more than a decade ago. Savage Worlds does everything it did, only better. So I still love it, but I can't imagine playing it again.

Talyn
2020-08-19, 08:59 PM

Pendragon. I've made characters, I've talked with people about the game, but I've never actually gotten to play it. And am friends with a LOT of Arthurian enthusiasts... come on, people!

Savage Worlds. I've always been a player, never a GM.

New World of Darkness fangame Genius: the Transgression. I've got SO MANY ideas for a Genius game, and lots of people in my gaming group love to talk about it, and literally no one in my gaming group wants to play it.

Mage, New World of Darkness. It's cool. I love it. But the amount of freaking work it takes to keep up with the game properly, both for roleplaying and mechanics... yeah, I could do it when I was single, in school, and didn't have kids. Now that I've got a proper job and a family? No way. Hunter or Vampire is bad enough. Mage is... just miles beyond that.

KineticDiplomat
2020-08-19, 11:14 PM
Burning Empires. It’s a beautiful space opera system. It actually handles political conflict just as cleanly as military. But it works on designated campaign periods where it really ain’t possible to swap players and GMs. The price of introducing a niche game is usually GMing it. Most people walk away going “wow, that was a brilliant system, and a really good year of gaming.” And then...well...they just played it for a year, time for something else, right? And then reality strikes and people go their separate ways, meaning if you want to see the system, you need to GM again...

Rynjin
2020-08-19, 11:25 PM

Have you considered running/playing Savage RIFTS? It's an official Savage Worlds supplement that really streamlines a lot of the rules, while keeping the setting intact.

Dawgmoah
2020-08-19, 11:42 PM

Firefly, it would be nice but...

Living Steel, fun world, wonky rules, but the bad guys can see through walls, tanks... anything. The players are old soldiers with powered attack armor who were "put on ice in case of a future emergency" who wake up to a post apocalyptic world.

Sidewinder Recoiled. Cowboys and Indians. Might be fun, reads fun.

AD&D 1st edition - no players out there for a in life sit around the table game. Played it for years though.

Lacco
2020-08-20, 02:52 AM
Forgot about De Profundis.

How could I have forgotten about De Profundis?

It's Lovecraftian as hell.

And it's quite unique in it's single, very powerful mechanic. You write letters. Actual letters. To other people, with whom you create a story about descent to madness.

Wrote just one letter. It was extremely scary experience... and never got a reply. So, no luck.

Azuresun
2020-08-20, 05:54 AM
Demon: the Fallen. I wouldn't care if I ran the game or had someone else run it, I would love to be in a Demon game.

Demon is another one I'd love to do something with. It came out right at the end of the original WoD and kind of got overshadowed. But there's a lot of stuff in there I just love. I like how it neatly turns around the usual White Wolf formula of playing a human who's becoming a monster--rather, you're playing a monster who suddenly gains human memories and emotions (kind of like the recent OotS arc with Durkon and the vampire spirit). The Earthbound are great villains who are well designed too--they're very powerful in their spheres, but have unique limitations and flaws that PC's can use to meaningfully oppose them despite the difference in raw power. And there's an unexpectedly optimistic side to the setting that I like, in the themes of overcoming your own pain, opposing your kin who have surrendered to nihilistic despair, and humankind having been cheated from a birthright of greatness rather than being inherently awful and flawed. In a way, Demon always felt like it had the best potential for emotional investment because the big struggle of the setting is at least theoretically winnable, you're not doomed from the start.

Only problem is that the mechanics are.....bad. Even by White Wolf standards, they're sloppily written, overly fiddly and specific and severely unbalanced. I'd want to jettison the system and either slot in something simpler or do it freeform.

That is the major issue I have with the game. RAW, the characters are no older than teenagers, but Satyrs exist...

That got changed in the anniversary edition. Now seemings are a state of mind and spirit rather than physical age--so you could have a changeling who's physically and mentally an adult, but still approaches life with wonder and boundless curiosity, being classed as a "Childling" in game terms. They also largely removed the idea that changelings usually burn out before their thirties--one of the chapter introductions comes from a woman in her fifties.

Palanan
2020-08-20, 08:34 AM
Originally Posted by Kesnit

I'm not familiar with this game at all, so wonder if you could explain this issue.

Willie the Duck
2020-08-20, 09:09 AM
Only problem is that the mechanics are.....bad. Even by White Wolf standards, they're sloppily written, overly fiddly and specific and severely unbalanced. I'd want to jettison the system and either slot in something simpler or do it freeform.

There are so many games that I won't be re-playing because of this issue. RIFTS, Invisible Suns, Symbaroum, much of White Wolf... all brilliant, fascinating game worlds with systems that are a genuine burden to try to make work. Most of them better to be ported over to one of the generics like Fate, Savage Worlds, GURPS, HERO, etc.

Azuresun
2020-08-20, 09:33 AM
I'm not familiar with this game at all, so wonder if you could explain this issue.

The basic premise of Changeling is that the characters are fae spirits reincarnated in human bodies as a protection against the Banality of the human world. Satyrs are one of the character types (which are all based on archetypal fae like redcaps, selkies, sidhe, etc), and they're what you might expect from Greek myths--hedonists who like to party hard and have strong passions. "Passions" doesn't have to mean sex, but it can do and the mechanic by which a Satyr's passions can become infectious was.....rather poorly phrased, to put it diplomatically. It wasn't as if they were the only ones with powers that could potentially coerce someone into doing something against their will, but it was the one with the most obvious unfortunate implications.

Another thing about Changeling (bear in mind it was a World of Darkness game, and was expected to have some grim existential stuff in there) is that it leaned towards the characters being quite young, usually burning bright and gloriously before being overcome by Banality and losing their memories of what they were until their next life. Young as in, often starting out pre-teens and burning out somewhere in their twenties, so child characters were quite common and expected--and "kids running off to have adventures in a magical land and fight monsters the grown-ups can't see" is a well-established tradition, after all.

But put those two together and uh-oh.

Again, worth noting that both of these things were heavily revised in the recent revised edition. Changelings can emerge later in life and aren't doomed to burn out before they're thirty (so you can play an adult changeling who isn't near the end of their sell-by-date), and the "childling / wilder / grump" divisions became about attitude and outlook rather than actual age, whereas the satyr description broadened them out from the sex, drugs and rock n'roll archetype and rephrased their rather awkward "infectious passion" birthright ability.

Luccan
2020-08-20, 09:57 AM
1. Numenera. I think the Cypher system in general is interesting, but I'm particularly interested in the Science-Fantasy setting originally presented for it. Keeping with Monte Cook, it's basically just 3.X again, but I've always wanted to at least give Arcana Unearthed/Evolved a shot. I've got my issues with the setting (at least at first glance morality is very black-and-white, even for what's basically a D&D setting, and basically revolves around the Giants just being the best thing to ever happen, no questions asked), but I like the rituals, the racial levels, and the abundance of magical classes.

2. I'd like to run some version of 0D&D. But I don't have much practice running proper dungeons.

3/4. I really want to play an AD&D 1e illusionist. I've played AD&D before, but not for many years, and I only played it when I was super young. After we got 3rd we never went back. And I don't think it's likely I'll get the chance to play again any time soon. I think it would be interesting to run as well, which I haven't done at all

Lord Raziere
2020-08-20, 12:08 PM
There are so many games that I won't be re-playing because of this issue. RIFTS, Invisible Suns, Symbaroum, much of White Wolf... all brilliant, fascinating game worlds with systems that are a genuine burden to try to make work. Most of them better to be ported over to one of the generics like Fate, Savage Worlds, GURPS, HERO, etc.

I mean.....yeah? I'm over much of White Wolf as a matter of course. they have great concepts and worlds they make, but mechanically playing them is not worth it and I don't like horror so its better to figure out my own thing in a freeform or a generic to do something similar and inspired by them but not actually them, they're too heavy. Rifts is this post-apocalyptic smorgasboard of silliness and awesome but its mechanics are the worst I've ever seen.

and now that I think about it, Anima Beyond Fantasy could probably done in Strands of Fate without anima's ridiculous character creation. at least it would require less math.

NorthernPhoenix
2020-08-21, 09:40 AM
The only ones that really come to mind are that i'd really like to give any and all of the Onyx Path Chronicles of Darkness games a spin, as both GM and player. Sadly i've never gotten the opportunity, but reading the books makes it seem like a lot of fun.

Alcore
2020-08-21, 02:08 PM
I once ran Engine Heart. I asked for collaboration and got a party of loners. Which seems typical of my online RP experience. I would love to play this again.

4. Maids. Short and simple with easy mechanics. The material requires an adult mind that can look past the perverted parts.

Raijinken
2020-08-22, 12:56 AM
1. Pathfinder
- I was told it was kind of like D&D. I would give it a shot.

2. I do not know how to, or rather, cannot answer this one. Reason because I was never the GM, nor will I ever be. I am the type who plays with friends, but not with them as my toys.

3. Marvel Universe RPG
- We were about to play this, and we are all good, ready and raring to go! But for some strange reason (one after another; we blame our GM), our first session got postponed again and again, until we all have forgotten about it.

4. Vampires the Masquerades
- I only got to play this game for a few sessions back in college. GM (probably the ONLY guy I know who ran this game; also pretty much the one who introduced, influenced and got us all hooked) never got to hold new sessions after moving to a different school.

Belac93
2020-08-22, 05:22 AM

I've got some interesting ones, I think:

1. Heaven Has No Taste (https://sellmanatlas.itch.io/heaven-has-no-taste) is like a slice-of-life game about angels, kinda based on good omens, Godsend (https://www.modiphius.net/products/godsend-worlds-of-legacy-3-pdf) is just the coolest thing ever, vaguely-greek-style deities and their avatars.

I'll probably never play In The Light of Death the Demon Cries (https://temporalhiccup.itch.io/demontears) again because it made me sad, but I loved it.

rs2excelsior
2020-08-23, 08:02 PM
My answer for something I'd like to play in but haven't is ACKS or a similar OSR type game. Get a look at something closer to the roots of a game that I've loved for years (but still has had some polish rather than the original itself, necessarily). Plus, at least in ACKS, it bills itself as having the progression from adventuring and looting dungeons to carving out a small territory to ruling and running said territory as baked into the system - something which I would absolutely love to play around with. I made a post here looking for a potential GM but no takers.

Something I have done before but probably wouldn't again... it was my first foray outside of D&D/PF, an adaptation of the HERO system to the world of the Monster Hunter International book series. I ran it, as I was the one who owned and had read the book, and it was fun... but it was also a bit of a complicated mess (and I say that as an avid PF player). Plus, it had a very hard time of tuning the lethality of automatic, high-powered weapons with the resilience of the monsters as shown in the books... I put a group up against a werewolf one time, and it just evaporated under concentrated fire (and that was with the silver-tipped bullets only ignoring its usual damage reduction, not doing double damage as they should have by the rules). Fun, but probably not something I'll dig back out anytime soon.

Eldan
2020-08-24, 03:54 AM
Symbaroum

Ooh, put me down for Symbaroum too. Looks awesome, never got to try it.

Willie the Duck
2020-08-25, 01:33 PM
Ooh, put me down for Symbaroum too. Looks awesome, never got to try it.

I have. The game system leaves a lot to be desired -- not just in that it is highly gamable, but also in that it doesn't really support significant parts of what one might think would be the important things you might want to do with such a setting. I strongly encourage taking the game world and running it in a generic system like Savage Worlds/GURPS/make a PbtA port.

Sir Enigma
2020-08-26, 08:48 AM

Mutants and Masterminds. Both the setting and the ruleset appeal to me, but nobody else in my group knows it well enough to want to run it.

Shadowrun, sort of. I've had several abortive campaigns (1-2 sessions then the campaign ended for whatever reason) but would love to play a game that actually got going.

2nd edition AD&D. The game that got me started on RPGs, which I used to love. I was quite resistant to changing over to 3e, but I don't think I could go back any more - having come to appreciate 3e/3.5e/Pathfinder, the clunkiness of AD&D would just be too apparent.

AdmiralCheez
2020-08-27, 10:41 AM
I have always wanted to both play in and run a Star Wars game. It probably won't be any time soon, since my group doesn't have any of the books, but we might be able to adapt Starfinder or Numenera in some way to work with the setting.

I'd also want to play in a Numenera game the way it was meant to be played. My group had started a Starfinder game, lost interest in the rules, and switched the same campaign over to Numenera to try out those rules. So, it ended up being this weird hybrid of rules and settings that just got very confusing very quickly, since we tried to carry over old skills and abilities that Starfinder had and Numenera didn't.

Games I loved but probably wouldn't ever play again include the Palladium games, and d20 games from the 3.5 era. Palladium had awesome character creation options, but it sometimes took hours to make characters. The 3.5-style games, like D&D, Pathfinder, Spycraft, etc. had way too many side rules and conditional modifiers to remember, and my group kind of outgrew the desire for math-heavy games, and we've evolved into a more narrative-focused group. A lot of good memories from those days, but we got old and lost interest in numbers.

Spriteless
2020-08-29, 10:37 AM
Paranoia

En Garde
Ryuutama
The idea of walking simulator RPG built for exploration and mostly pleasant walkabout fascinates me. Again, shot down by my players.

1. I haven't played most Fate rules/settings I have like: ... Mindjammer...

Want to play and haven't? Many. Many many. Currently on for Dungeons the Dragoning.

Wow, each of mine is already mentioned. I want to use this thread to find people for an online game over discord and maybe Roll20 for dice. But there's like only one person for each of mine.

Reathin
2020-08-29, 11:20 AM
Mage the Awakening, second addition. I had a tiny bit of experiencing the first run of Mage: the Awakening, on a forum some time ago, but never got the chance to play the (significantly improved, in my opinion) second one, and I can't get enough of the material. It's completely fascinating and I eat up the setting with a Thaumium spoon, but so far, never had a chance to try it out. One day, maybe.

FabulousFizban
2020-08-30, 05:22 PM

You should try TORG. I think you would like it.

That or Gamma World.

Caledonian
2020-08-30, 05:28 PM
1.2.3.: Continuum. Most elegant and fascinating time travel worldbuilding setting ever devised, most eye-gouging and impossible game to actually run because fighting in four dimensions is hard to conceptualise, let alone referee.

Given how the gamebook claimed time functioned in Continuum, you'd need at least six dimensions to fully represent time combat. Which is two more than most people can handle.

(Obnoxiously, the explanations presented were obviously lies, even in-world, but the expansion book detailing the 'other half' of the time-traveling society was never produced.)

Tanarii
2020-08-30, 10:43 PM
Games I've run but would love to play in:
Gamma World (2e? I think)
AD&D 1e Oriental Adventures
Forbidden Lands by Free League Publishing

Games I've neither played nor run but would love to play with an experienced DM:
Blades in the Dark (This is the only PbtA game I've read I'd even consider participating in.)
Torchbearer (to experience The Grind)
Godbound

Games I wouldn't touch with a 10ft pole ever again, because complex rules make using them torture at the table:
Gurps
Shadowrun

Games that were a blast to read, but I've never use because of their complex rules:
Exalted 2e

Games I've played in and run I'd do so again in spite of the rules being kludgy:
Robotech, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies, Rifts
Warhammer FRPG 1e

Games I'd kill to get an in person open table campaign running in:
BECMI

Telok
2020-08-31, 10:44 AM
Games I've played in and run I'd do so again in spite of the rules being kludgy:
Robotech, Heroes Unlimited, Ninjas and Superspies, Rifts
Warhammer FRPG 1e

Games I'd kill to get an in person open table campaign running in:
BECMI

Yeah, that's some good stuff there. Nab yourself a good DM with a couple pages of rulings/house rules and it woukd be a good time.

I've come to think that ShadowRun was sort of a victim of it's own success. In the beginning it succeeded at being mashup of cyberpunk and fantasy rpgs. It just seems that the system becomes more baroque and the editors are taking ever harder drugs as time goes on, but nobody can get out of that rut because of the IP and branding. The soul of SR is an ideal, like D&D or Star Wars, that can survive questionable corporate decisions because what makes it great isn't the system being used to run it.

LordCdrMilitant
2020-08-31, 12:03 PM

1. Dark Heresy or Black Crusade, though specifically a game the way I run them. This is the perpetual GM issue, because I run the game I would want to play in, because otherwise it wouldn't happen because everybody else kind of just runs more various fantasy stuff that takes place in a bastardization of a technological age before the modern era.

2. Well, I fortunately have had a chance to run my favorite systems, so I'm going to go with FFG's Star Wars RPG's.

3. Still going to go with Star Wars, because I've either gotten to run or play in pretty much everything else and I still want to be a Rebel Alliance member fighting against the Empire in the years leading up to the Battle of Yavin for an RPG.

4. Traveller. I love it, I ran it once, but I think I'm also A: kind of expected to run a 40k RPG at all times, and B: all my players really like my 40k RPG's.