PDA

View Full Version : One-under on Redcloak getting spells tomorrow

Phantom Thief
2020-08-18, 09:38 PM
I beleive, although I cant recall which comics specifically, that Redcloak has stated on two occasions that his only sense of communication with The Dark One is that his granting Redcloak spells every day is a sign of approval on his current course of action.

Therefore, if The Dark One did not approve of his action, he would probably refuse to grant Redcloak spells one day in order to signal that to him.

Presently, Redcloak is making a decision to reject Durkons offer of peace and commit to The Plan. We dont really know that much about The Dark One or his sentiments, so he may or may not agree with that decision if presented with the same option.

So if it turns out that The Dark One is actually more reasonable than Redcloak, he may be seeing this and think it's a mistake. Or, if hes a vengeful god, he may be on the same page and want nothing less than total war on the other gods. Or he may disagree with Redcloak but still give him spells anyway. It would make sense for hin to do so given the urgency of the situation, but since Redcloak has mentioned this twice I feel like it should be one of the first two options.

Which do you think will be the case?

understatement
2020-08-18, 09:52 PM
This strip (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1039.html) is where it's mentioned.

Looks like right now TDO is fine with how things are going, considering Redcloak is still able to cast.

Emanick
2020-08-18, 10:15 PM
This strip (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1039.html) is where it's mentioned.

Looks like right now TDO is fine with how things are going, considering Redcloak is still able to cast.

Redcloak gets spells after he prays to TDO at dusk. I don't think gods can revoke those spells once they're granted, at least until those slots are expended. (Well, maybe they theoretically could - gods are rather powerful beings - but I don't think that's how things generally work.)

Anyway, I give TDO revoking Redcloak's spells like an 8% chance of happening. Seems really unlikely, but we know so little about the goblinoid god that it seems foolish to be too certain.

Mastikator
2020-08-19, 01:20 AM
It's more likely that it will be the other way around IMO. Redcloak will have to convince The Dark One to stop The Plan, but that seems like a non-starter at this point.

Flame of Anor
2020-08-19, 01:54 AM
Thor's difficulty was that he couldn't communicate with the Dark One. The Dark One doesn't know any more about the secret metacosmic history than Redcloak, so the only chance of this happening is if he was watching and, unlike Redcloak, believed Durkon. Not impossible, but a long shot. Then again, I don't have a better idea.

Quebbster
2020-08-19, 02:25 AM
Thor's difficulty was that he couldn't communicate with the Dark One. The Dark One doesn't know any more about the secret metacosmic history than Redcloak, so the only chance of this happening is if he was watching and, unlike Redcloak, believed Durkon. Not impossible, but a long shot. Then again, I don't have a better idea.
You sure TDO doesn't know more than Redcloak? Redcloak know what TDO told him, after all. It's quite possible TDO knows more than he has told Redcloak.

Metastachydium
2020-08-19, 03:59 AM
I beleive, although I cant recall which comics specifically, that Redcloak has stated on two occasions that his only sense of communication with The Dark One is that his granting Redcloak spells every day is a sign of approval on his current course of action.

Therefore, if The Dark One did not approve of his action, he would probably refuse to grant Redcloak spells one day in order to signal that to him.

Presently, Redcloak is making a decision to reject Durkons offer of peace and commit to The Plan. We dont really know that much about The Dark One or his sentiments, so he may or may not agree with that decision if presented with the same option.

So if it turns out that The Dark One is actually more reasonable than Redcloak, he may be seeing this and think it's a mistake. Or, if hes a vengeful god, he may be on the same page and want nothing less than total war on the other gods. Or he may disagree with Redcloak but still give him spells anyway. It would make sense for hin to do so given the urgency of the situation, but since Redcloak has mentioned this twice I feel like it should be one of the first two options.

Which do you think will be the case?

Tell me this: accepting what Redcloak correctly describes as table scraps from some dwarf who claims to be an emissary of a god (not the gods, mind you, one god), whose ”peace plan” does not seem to have so much as the approbation of the god he claims has sent him, because this random dwarf claims that the gods will destroy the world if he doesn't (which, from his perspective, seems improbable at best) sounds reasonable to you?
(Permit me to further clarify the situation with a little analogy: a commander from a terrorist group manages to infiltrate a maximum security building and takes the children of the president of a major global power hostage. Some guy who can prove that he works for the government of the aforesaid nation in some capacity sneaks into the building and tells him that the president sent him there to tell the terrorist that only he and his boss can save the world, so they should renounce on their goals now, the commander should put doeówn his gun and then they can figure out the rest later. If he doesn't cooperate, the army will nuke the entire freaking city they are in.)
So, to answer your original question, I'd say Big Purple is not taking away Redcloak's spell, and if he indeed doesn't it absolutely does not mean he is a vengeful freak. It only means he is sane enough not to abandon a Plan that seems surefire for table scraps because some random nobody told his priest something truly improbable.

BaronOfHell
2020-08-19, 04:41 AM

The way I see it, either:
A) The Dark One gives me spells, ergo he approves of what I do - Is in my opinion comparable to Miko level of reasoning at her worst.
The Dark One certainly doesn't approve of everything RC does, but so far, for the Dark One there is still more prospect in RC with spells than without.

B) The Dark One gives me spells, therefore I haven't offended him sufficiently to stop doing so - Is in my opinion more reasonable.
Because does the Dark One really care about RC to any extend beyond 1) he is a follower, and 2) he is a valuable asset? Somehow I doubt it very much, in that regard I imagine Thor has a much more personal investment in Durkon.
I may be entirely incorrect though, because the comic doesn't have to show everything which goes on.

Anymage
2020-08-19, 08:15 AM
I wonder if it's quite as binary as spells vs. no spells. Like if Thor thought that Durkon was losing his way, could he send a full complement of Commune spells to communicate "we need to talk"?

Gods in the stickverse also aren't omniscient, and have better things to do than keep watching their followers constantly. After all, the point of a priesthood is being able to have agents to pursue your goals when you can't be there personally. The odds of TDO or Thor watching this particular exchange are slim.

The bigger question for me is how much Red manages to take away from this exchange. He's close enough to hear that these dwarves seem to honestly believe this color idea, that his god has a unique one that the others want, and that there's a risk that his god might not make it if the gods have to call it on this world and make a new one from scratch. Red is still way too invested in The Plan to back out now, plus it's still too soon in the book for an early resolution of a major plot point. He is smart enough to learn and integrate new information as he comes across it.

KorvinStarmast
2020-08-19, 08:20 AM
So if it turns out that The Dark One is actually more reasonable than Redcloak, Not seeing it. He more or less rage-quit the evil god's private chat group (https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1143.html).

Metastachydium
2020-08-19, 08:26 AM
Gods in the stickverse also aren't omniscient, and have better things to do than keep watching their followers constantly. After all, the point of a priesthood is being able to have agents to pursue your goals when you can't be there personally. The odds of TDO or Thor watching this particular exchange are slim.

You mean the chances that two gods are keeping an eye on their respective most important followers (by a fair margin) are slim?

The bigger question for me is how much Red manages to take away from this exchange. He's close enough to hear that these dwarves seem to honestly believe this color idea, that his god has a unique one that the others want, and that there's a risk that his god might not make it if the gods have to call it on this world and make a new one from scratch. Red is still way too invested in The Plan to back out now, plus it's still too soon in the book for an early resolution of a major plot point. He is smart enough to learn and integrate new information as he comes across it.

The big problem here would be the fact that one of the dwarves is a random nobody (for Redcloak, of course; I have nothing against Minrah), while the other is a guy he's seen about twice during his entire life and who fought for his enemies both times. Also, both of these dwarves work for Thor, a god on whom Redcloak has an incredibly low opinion (partly due to Thor attacking Big Purple immediately upon his ascension). I literally can't see why Redcloak should trust them.