PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Bardadin oathbreaker

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-19, 02:54 AM
So I’m planning on making a bard/Paladin satyr for a thing, I’ve got 15 levels. Oathbreaker works best with flavour, and I’m undecided on a bard college. I also don’t know where I’d make the split, or whether I would want to go dex build or strength build.
EDIT: I also get two uncommon magic items if my memory serves me correctly.

CTurbo
2020-08-19, 03:22 AM
Point buy or rolling for stats?

Are you wanting to be melee focused or more support? How do you see this character? Are you sure Conquest wouldn't be a better fit?

My first inclination would be to go Whispers Bard, but honestly I think Lore would be best for cutting words and extra magical secrets.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-19, 03:35 AM
Point buy or rolling for stats?

Are you wanting to be melee focused or more support? How do you see this character? Are you sure Conquest wouldn't be a better fit?

My first inclination would be to go Whispers Bard, but honestly I think Lore would be best for cutting words and extra magical secrets.

I’m thinking more melee focus, conquest tenets don’t really work as well, but theoretically it could work. Just rolled and the stats are... 12 14 18 9 11 13. Which is pretty good.

CTurbo
2020-08-19, 03:57 AM
I’m thinking more melee focus, conquest tenets don’t really work as well, but theoretically it could work. Just rolled and the stats are... 12 14 18 9 11 13. Which is pretty good.

And you want to be a Satyr? Those stats pretty much force you to go Str based unless your DM is willing to waive the 13 Str multiclass requirement.

After racial boosts,

18 Str, 13 Dex, 13 Con, 9 int, 11 Wis, 16 Cha

Start Paladin for heavy armor proficiency.

I guess you COULD go Dex if you wanted

13 Str, 19 Dex, 12 Con, 9 Int, 11 Wis, 16 Cha

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-19, 04:05 AM
And you want to be a Satyr? Those stats pretty much force you to go Str based unless your DM is willing to waive the 13 Str multiclass requirement.

After racial boosts,

18 Str, 13 Dex, 13 Con, 9 int, 11 Wis, 16 Cha

Start Paladin for heavy armor proficiency.

I guess you COULD go Dex if you wanted

13 Str, 19 Dex, 12 Con, 9 Int, 11 Wis, 16 Cha
Ok, I think I’ll go strength based, pop the 9 in dexterity though, because my character is fairly intelligent, so the 12 makes more sense there thematically,
Feats I’m thinking are war caster and shield master...? Or potentially dual wielded..

CTurbo
2020-08-19, 04:32 AM
Ok, I think I’ll go strength based, pop the 9 in dexterity though, because my character is fairly intelligent, so the 12 makes more sense there thematically,
Feats I’m thinking are war caster and shield master...? Or potentially dual wielded..

Melee focused Str build huh?

Swords Bard would be good. You could take the TWF style which you could then take Dual Wielder if you'd like. I don't like Dual Wielder without the TWF style. Paladins actually make pretty good TWFers especially if you can get to Paladin 11 for the extra d8 per hit. Even better for an Oathbreaker since you add your Cha to damage per hit too.

You'll want at least 5 levels of Bard IMO for the 3rd level spells and the short rest recharging d8 inspiration dice.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-19, 04:47 AM
Melee focused Str build huh?

Swords Bard would be good. You could take the TWF style which you could then take Dual Wielder if you'd like. I don't like Dual Wielder without the TWF style. Paladins actually make pretty good TWFers especially if you can get to Paladin 11 for the extra d8 per hit. Even better for an Oathbreaker since you add your Cha to damage per hit too.

You'll want at least 5 levels of Bard IMO for the 3rd level spells and the short rest recharging d8 inspiration dice.

Ok that sounds cool. Sword bard 5, Paladin.. 10? No extra d8 damage but oh well. Do get aura of courage though.

Fnissalot
2020-08-19, 05:02 AM
Ok that sounds cool. Sword bard 5, Paladin.. 10? No extra d8 damage but oh well. Do get aura of courage though.

I would agree on 10 paladin/5 bard. Whispers would also be ok as it gives you extra mini-smites since you get the proficiencies from paladin, especially if you use two-handers.
You also get 4th and 5th level spell slots you can use for upcasting through this split.

Edit: If you go TWF, 11 paladin/4 sword bard is probably justifiable as well, focusing more on consistent damage instead of 3rd level bard spells and a second 5th level spell slot. TWF also stacks nicely with aura of hate.

Quoz
2020-08-19, 08:05 AM
If I may suggest a slightly different path, it sounds like what you're building could become a very interesting demon summoner.

Start Paladin 6/Bard (lore) 9 so you have access to 5th level spells. Make Charisma your highest stat, and strength 2nd. Make sure to take your expertise in athletics and intimidation. If possible at your table, take the UA unarmed fighting style

Now the fun part: use whatever of the demon summoning spells from xanthar's fits your tastes. The demon is summoned as hostile, but can be commanded. Grapple it, wrestle it to the ground, and make sure it knows who's in charge with a few well made intimidation checks. With aura of protection and satyr magic resistance you are as close to immune to magic as can be, and in full plate and imposing disadvantage on attacks if you are holding a creature grappled and prone you should be able to establish dominance fairly easily.

You have a lot of spell levels to smite with fist and horn, can grapple with the best of them, can summon demons and bend them to your will, and can control any undead you come across. If that isn't enough of a badass antihero, I don't know what is.

Wizard_Lizard
2020-08-19, 02:38 PM
I would agree on 10 paladin/5 bard. Whispers would also be ok as it gives you extra mini-smites since you get the proficiencies from paladin, especially if you use two-handers.
You also get 4th and 5th level spell slots you can use for upcasting through this split.

Edit: If you go TWF, 11 paladin/4 sword bard is probably justifiable as well, focusing more on consistent damage instead of 3rd level bard spells and a second 5th level spell slot. TWF also stacks nicely with aura of hate.
I think I'd go with sword bard 4, Oathbreaker 11.. although whispers is super tempting, just from the flavour...
EDIT: Actually no, I'm going whispers bard. Because the flavour works better and I like the stuff there.

If I may suggest a slightly different path, it sounds like what you're building could become a very interesting demon summoner.

Start Paladin 6/Bard (lore) 9 so you have access to 5th level spells. Make Charisma your highest stat, and strength 2nd. Make sure to take your expertise in athletics and intimidation. If possible at your table, take the UA unarmed fighting style

Now the fun part: use whatever of the demon summoning spells from xanthar's fits your tastes. The demon is summoned as hostile, but can be commanded. Grapple it, wrestle it to the ground, and make sure it knows who's in charge with a few well made intimidation checks. With aura of protection and satyr magic resistance you are as close to immune to magic as can be, and in full plate and imposing disadvantage on attacks if you are holding a creature grappled and prone you should be able to establish dominance fairly easily.

You have a lot of spell levels to smite with fist and horn, can grapple with the best of them, can summon demons and bend them to your will, and can control any undead you come across. If that isn't enough of a badass antihero, I don't know what is.

I tend to stay away from UA, as it is decided whether it is allowed on a case by case basis. I love that idea.. I'm not sure how it would go with the flavour.. (It's a very.. fey character in backstory too).
EDIT: Also I'm mildly worried how the dm would rule hostile demons, because there's a fair chance it'd attack me nontheless.