PDA

View Full Version : Timing of sentinel attack triggered by AoO

Nadlor
2020-08-19, 03:46 AM
Quick question. Imagine a small character mounted in a medium mount (therefore they are both in the same square). The small character is armed with a lance and has the sentinel feat. There is an enemy standing 5 feet away.

If the mount moves away, it provokes an opportunity attack from the enemy. If the enemy attacks the mount with its opportunity attack, sentinel would allow the small character riding the mount to attack the enemy. I know the opportunity attack happens before the triggering movement is effective, and therefore the distance between the enemy and the mount/rider when the opportunity attack happens is still 5 feet. But since the attack allowed by sentinel won't happen until the opportunity attack is fully resolved, what is the distance between the enemy and the mount/rider when the character attacks the enemy thanks to sentinel? I would assume it's still 5 feet since no movement is actually performed until all reactions provoked by the opportunity attack are resolved. Is that the case?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Crucius
2020-08-19, 05:51 AM
I agree with your conclusion that it is 5 feet.

Start move (or move intent) -> opportunity attack -> sentinel attack -> actually move.

It is not exactly a stack of reactions, but the move definitely flanks the two reactions.