PDA

View Full Version : Naruto d20, character creation

Job
2007-10-31, 02:05 PM
I was asked by a friend to play in a Naruto d20 game, using the big d20 conversion you can find online.

I fully intend to read the document but would like to begin play soon and need some advice with character creation so I could get started and learn as I go. I’m not very familiar with series, other then its over-the-top ninja fights.

Basically I want a character that throws out as many “save of die”, “save or lose”, and “save or suck” attacks as possible, and someway to counteract the super speedy melee types. Additionally it would be nice to stay close to “normal human” as possible for race selection without crippling such a build.

Anyone have any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

Khanderas
2007-11-01, 05:36 AM
They are all hand to hand fighters of different degrees.
All (but one) can use "chakra" an innate spiritual power, to make illusions and special attacks / defenses.
Jump 100 feet up ? -learned that before the age of 15
Illusion trick to swap yourself with a dummy (usually a log) -sooo basic, yet often used and sucessfully too.
Make a trick copy of yourself, basic (Naruto got a special hidden version that enables him to make hundreds of them, all more real then normal copies)
Shurikens and throwingdaggers is in every ninja's reportoire.

Some bloodlines have certain powers, example: see though all illusions, Copy any technique, see invisibility.
Summons can be used, huge and intelligent (quite advanced though, difficultywise).

Catch
2007-11-01, 07:53 AM
Basically I want a character that throws out as many “save of die”, “save or lose”, and “save or suck” attacks as possible, and someway to counteract the super speedy melee types. Additionally it would be nice to stay close to “normal human” as possible for race selection without crippling such a build.

Play a Wizard.

Kidding. Assuming you're using Frankto's Naruto d20 (http://www.narutod20.com/), If you want to be more technique-based, I'd suggest starting with a Charismatic Hero and then taking the Genjutsu Master PrC. Genjutsu techniques are the ones you're looking for if you want to play a "save or..." character, and you can exploit the low will saves of the speedy and puncy ninjas. Most induce status effects, some deal damage and a few are particularly nasty. It's as close to a Wizard as you can get in Naruto d20.

As far as races are concerned, there's only humans, though plenty of bloodlines. Most of them, however, are traps and have huge level adjustments. Stick with your basic human stock and you'll be fine.

Technique selection can be a time-consuming business, but the general breakdown is like this. Taijutsu techs are mostly physical attacks, many of which rely on Fortitude saves. Ninjutsu encapsulates stealth, deception and elemental attacks, almost all of which are Reflex-based. All of the healing techniques are in the Chakra Control category, as well as some physical enhancement techs like water-walking and tree-climbing. Finally, Genjutsu techs induce a lot of status effects and debuffs and generally ruin someone else's day, though they're often overlooked for something flashier.

You'll want a decent set of basic Ninjutsu, as they're often what keep you alive. Replacement, cloning, teleportation and simple Chakra Control techs like water walking and tree-climbing. Don't skimp on the basics because they are very handy and you'll be far more well-rounded. Once you have your utility belt of standard techniques, select a few Genjutsu techs. These'll be your attack techs. Try to pick ones that you can synergize with others; avoid the very situational ones and favor the techs that really can hamper the enemy. Blindness, movement impairment and any sort of fear are all good choices.

If you have any questions about specifics, PM me and I'll give you a more thorough rundown.