PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A falling homebrew that I find very playable

KorvinStarmast
2020-08-19, 11:40 AM
Can I get a PEACH approach from some other 5e home brewers?

A friend of mine has crafted what I think is a very good falling rule adjustment to D&D 5e falling that gets rid of the (IMO) damnably bad "step function" that is the Xanather's hack on falling, and the "what's really going on?" question from the PHB text on Falling.

He put this together as his players' party headed to the Firefinger in ToA. I can't C&P the file (it's at the homebrewery (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJ79Xy491z)) but here's the gist of it.

Combat time is strange. 6-second rounds, you can take reactions in-between your turns, and it's all happening somehow sinultaneou-quentially?
Xanathar's Guide to Everything throws another wrench in the works by stating that "when you fall from a great height you instantly descend up to 500 feet" (p. 77). This makes it largely impossible for another character to take an action to counteract one's fall, which I find problematic. Experienced adventurers can see a comrade approaching disaster, not just experienceing it. I propose the following modification: when falling, the movement associated with the fall occurs just before the creature's next turn.
There you go. More people have a chance to arrest a fall.
What this means is that the creature begins a fall on the turn that they 'fall' (or are pushed/shoved/whatever) and they end that fall an right before their next turn begins. (Which also leaves space for reactions, which happen most of the time 'on a turn that is any other creature's than mine' in most cases.

We've done this in play and I really like it. We didn't find it hard to implement. And in one case, our Barbarian chose not to make an attack, but instead tried an athletics check to catch the fighter as he was falling (off of a 70 foot cliff) during his turn. Barbarian made a good choice, as the dice were kind. Could have been a mess otherwise ...

And if you like 'status' markers, 'falling becomes a status for the PC in question during everyone else's turn)

The rest of that homebrew was to make the fight on Firetop a bit more cinematic and to add more PC agency as various flying critters tried to drop PC's to their death from a great height.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-08-19, 03:18 PM
Looks functional.

Grod_The_Giant
2020-08-19, 04:20 PM
Falling has always been weird in turn-based games, but this looks like a pretty good way to handle it.